• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Aeana

Strange how the objectification of women and spank bait bullshit that's so common in Japanese games seems to be getting something of a pass for this game in particular. I wonder why no one seems to be mentioning it at all this time.

Also why isn't the OP being updated with the Gamekult review? Just curious.

You have to go out of your way for 2B's clothing to degrade like that. You have to actually choose to self-destruct, which very few people would do on purpose.

I had no idea it was even possible until toward the end of my playthrough, and it was only because someone mentioned it here. It exists in the game but is not really worthy of note. This isn't 3rd Birthday.

Garlador

Easy Allies' Ben Moore is playing right now (Route A, 7.5 hours in) and says "I will probably be giving this game a high score. Probably THE highest score I've ever given."
6.jpg
"It gets my highest rating: a 7 out of 10."

Jiraiza

Strange how the objectification of women and spank bait bullshit that's so common in Japanese games seems to be getting something of a pass for this game in particular. I wonder why no one seems to be mentioning it at all this time.

Because if you played the game, there's actually more interesting things to focus your attention on than her butt. And I don't think there were any gratuitous shots in the game at all. I don't remember any, but I could be wrong.

Nah i think it might be 5 stars from him. He has given a couple 4.5s out but never 5

Yeah that quote got me excited. The Easy Allies have already broken the barrier to 10 (5/5) with The Last Guardian that they never reached at Game trailers (interestingly enough, that score was given by the senior editor who always fought against perfect 10s or so I hear), and Ben already gave FFXV a 9/10. I get the impression that Nier:A has less flaws than FFXV and a more interesting story, so I can see Ben rating it a 5/5. Considering his gaming preferences and mine seem to match well, it'd be especially exciting for him to give it a 5/5.

Then again, even though it is not what was clearly meant to be implied by that statement, he could mean he'll give it the best score he's ever given, which would be 4.5/5 (at Easy Allies). However I bet he rated higher than that at GT so I think he's implying a score that is higher than any he has previously given which by the 5 star system has to be 5/5.

Get hype. :)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

You haven't played the game if you think that's the objective of the game.

Also...ben's only in route A at 7.5 hours and saying anything about his review? He's got a while to go and the game changes significantly from the first route after a while

Audioboxer

I haven't deeply studied such details about the game, but I did see this NSFW outfit and wondered if the game just switches from the black skirt outfit to that at some point, or is the one with the black skirt not 2B?

Damn, Taro really gives zero fucks lol (should have been obvious from the demo controversy). At least unlike some developers (who shall rename unnamed not to derail), he is above board and honest, and that gives respect where others don't get it.

I think the reviews the game is getting lets it stand on its own feet even with adult content (like Drakengard and Nier don't have tons of it). Although, posters above are saying this is something you need to seemingly trigger yourself.

SarusGray

Reviewers don't often touch on subjects such as those. They play for the game and content. It would be interesting for reviewers to discuss that though.

Ubernube

Reviewers don't often touch on subjects such as those. They play for the game and content. It would be interesting for reviewers to discuss that though.

That, and it's harder to lambast someone for doing it when they basically go and tell people that they do it because they like that stuff. Easier to do it when someone goes "There's a good reason for it!" or you will be ashamed of your words and deeds or something like that, since that gives a decent angle to criticize from (did they provide a good reason?)

So, I asked it before and didn't get an answer, has there been any review of the PC version? I'm specifically looking for stuff on performance, optimization and support. I looked a bit and couldn't find any.

K.Sabot

Amazon literally delayed my ships for Nioh, Nier and Zelda.

I cancelled all 3 and went digital.

They have been fucking up hardcore lately.

ethomaz

Banned
Mmk. Then for those of you who read a lot of the reviews, did anyone mention re-reviewing the PC versions as soon as they can? What is the reason for not being able to review it now? Is SE just not sending codes? It's only like a little more than a week away right?
I believe we will get Reviews for PC after release.

SE only sent PS4 to reviewers because that is the platform the game is marketed.

Mmk. Then for those of you who read a lot of the reviews, did anyone mention re-reviewing the PC versions as soon as they can? What is the reason for not being able to review it now? Is SE just not sending codes? It's only like a little more than a week away right?
Likely they want to push the ps4 version as the main sku. Also having the conversation of this is superior on pc talk would detract from the conversation instead of about the games quality. Will most likely have to wait till next Friday for any real world benchmarks.

In addition to everything that's already been said, skirtless 2B just looks really cool if you can get past the booty. She comes across much more imposing and formidable, like the badass robowarrior she is.

I believe we will get Reviews for PC after release.

SE only sent PS4 to reviewers because that is the platform the game is marketed.

Likely they want to push the ps4 version as the main sku. Also having the conversation of this is superior on pc talk would detract from the conversation instead of about the games quality. Will most likely have to wait till next Friday for any real world benchmarks.

So the marketing deal strikes again I see. :/ That really stinks. I was thinking about pre ordering after seeing if reviews talked about features that I want support for but I guess I'll wait and see. Oh well, if ME doesn't treat PC like a second class citizen then I'll probably go with that first if I don't start seeing PC reviews for Neir soon. ME is actually cheaper right now and I don't want to wait much longer to decide cuz the price will most likely go up the closer we get to launch. (already went up a dollar) Just trying to sort through which game has what features I want implemented at release right now and it seems like Neir is going to be a gamble and ME is a pretty safe bet but reviews could have told me otherwise.

Falchion

The Kotaku review read really weird, like the reviewer didn't even both understanding how the chip system worked when it seemed simple enough from some of the other articles?

mollipen

The Kotaku review read really weird, like the reviewer didn't even both understanding how the chip system worked when it seemed simple enough from some of the other articles?

I don't know how you couldn't understand the chip system, with the exception of the finer details of how similar effects might stack and what the limit is.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
just want to know if it has the pastiches the first game had with Diablo, Resident Evil, Zelda pastiches?

Yes or no is all I need.

Reviewing well as hoped. I was convinced after trying the demo, because it seems to have both style and substance. I have no time to play it so I'll probably wait to see how long Horizon takes me.

daevious

Since it keeps getting brought up, is there any way to play Drakengard properly in English (as in, non-censored)?

It's called "playing Drakengard" because the censorship thing is complete hogwash that's been propagated by people who've completely misinterpreted a bunch of Japanese interviews.

I haven't deeply studied such details about the game, but I did see this NSFW outfit and wondered if the game just switches from the black skirt outfit to that at some point, or is the one with the black skirt not 2B?

As many as said, Yoko Taro moves at his own pace, not anyone else's. And you'll see this in Automata on how he treats relationships too. Similarly with Kaine/Emil's orientations.

Re: The char design from RPGsite interview.

RPG Site: What did you make of the fan response to the characters in the wake of the demo? It seemed pretty significant.

Taro Yoko: It was interesting... I think what you're referring to there is perhaps the fact that 2B's bottom became such a big topic of discussion on the internet. It was very interesting, because we didn't really think of the character in that way at all - as a sexy character. The way we designed her and the way we think about her within the story is completely different, so it was quite a surprise to see that's what people took from it.

As a niche game, I think that's fine. Any publicity is good publicity for that! We're really happy that people love the characters so much and want to draw pictures of them - we find that great.

Maybe it's a discussion for another topic, but really, criticism doesn't seem to affect Taro. But at the same hand, he's upfront and is a lot more forward thinking than most developers in these matters. This is also the guy that said he'd intentionally not do auto saves due to a review on prior NieR dogging on it about it. He said similar too on the novel portions. You hate it? It's definitely gonna be back in.

If the idea of cheeks that you have to intentionally self destruct to see anyway disgusts people that much, you can get an outfit later that ameliorates that situation lol

Grief.exe

You will be ashamed of your words and deeds.

jrush64

Banned
So I might be getting this game tomorrow. Is it just a hack and slash like DMC or MGS Rising or is the gameplay deeper? How are the levels, straight forward or puzzle solving?

So I might be getting this game tomorrow. Is it just a hack and slash like DMC or MGS Rising or is the gameplay deeper? How are the levels, straight forward or puzzle solving?

It's lighter than DMC/MGR actually. But it can get some depth with it's customization. And well, it's open world. But I'd say it's a bit more straight forward as you get to each area outside of the central hub.

Top Bottom