• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

999 is such a shit game.
Everyone just dies and nothing is explained!

Steins;Gate Review:

- First ending dosn't properly explain everything
- It gets repetitive, all you do is read, read and read
- Only static images, no animation, feels cheap
- There's like 4 backgrounds in total!

Score 2/10

I'm being facetious, I don't care about Gamekult review and I think their points may be fair.

Hektor

Umm am I gonna be lost as shit if I pick this up? Never played any Drakengard or the original Nier.

You'd be missing out on some minor things, the story is perfectly fine for newcomers.

If you have the interest and time to spare, you can watch these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrClemps/videos

That said, it's not at all nessecary.

Since it keeps getting brought up, is there any way to play Drakengard properly in English (as in, non-censored)?

Unless i'm missing something the only stuff that got toned down was in the dialogue and there's no way to restore that

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think it was always obvious how Yoko Taro needed a good team and decent enough funding. It's a shame that the Drakengard games are so shit.

The worldview and insanity that gets down in the Drakengard titles is why i put up with their low budget shittiness to get to the Yoko Taro core. Of course you can't help but get disappointed because these days the lack of budget affects the actual content. Half of D3's actual lore of the sisters is locked off in the DLC content, along with the great remix tracks in addition to having to put up with Access games general jank.

I do wish they could kinda take some of their scalebound template and either make a drakengard 4 or chose another drakenier setting for a game. There are plenty

RPGamer Score (8/10) has been applied. Now at 45 MC Critics.

Once Gamerkult's Review gets added, we'll be back at 89 (89.8913) unless both Gamerkult & RPGamer have very low weights in the algorithm...

Gbraga

I don't think I'll buy the Drakengard 3 DLCs after I finish the game. Does Clemps' video cover them as well? I'd like to know what they're about, but not enough to actually buy them.

Weight 88.89 rounds down to 89 instead of up to 90?

It seems so.

I manually calculated the averages a while back, and it seems that Open Critic rounds up from the average, while Metacritic rounds down.

I don't think I'll buy the Drakengard 3 DLCs after I finish the game. Does Clamp's video cover them as well? I'd like to know what they're about, but not enough to actually buy them.

His video includes them, since they're so important to the story. (He actually harps on how that was handled.)

Hektor

I don't think I'll buy the Drakengard 3 DLCs after I finish the game. Does Clamp's video cover them as well? I'd like to know what they're about, but not enough to actually buy them.

Clemps covers them as well. Altho only two of them are really worth it anyways

Can you change 2B's outfit? It's a little ridiculous in my opinion.

The'res one costume you can unlock extremely late into the game.

Otherwise you gotta wait for the inevitable costume dlc

Gbraga

It seems so.

I manually calculated the averages a while back, and it seems that Open Critic rounds up from the average, while Metacritic rounds down.

His video includes them, since they're so important to the story. (He actually harps on how that was handled.)

Clemps covers them as well. Altho only two of them are really worth it anyways

Great! Thanks.

I'll definitely watch them once I finish the game. Can't wait to hate the final boss.

SarusGray

We're at 90.3333 currently. Depending on USGamer, EZA, and TSA, we may just see them balance out and recenter it on 90. (Assuming they rate it 91.7 or higher on average, that is.)

... with Gamerkult alone, however, it'll go back to 89.

I'm still popping the whiskey. With the sales in Japan being high and the game being praised. Yokoooo and Platinum must be happay.

I'm still popping the whiskey. With the sales in Japan being high and the game being praised. Yokoooo and Platinum must be happay.

Oh I know, it's still an amazing accomplishment regardless, but I can't help but feel it'll be ever that much better if it's accompanied with a big nine-o.

Inuhanyou

It technically doesn't matter since cut-scenes are pre-rendered anyways, no point in adding other costumes. That's fine with me.

I think with YT your gonna have to get used to how he rolls and what his design choices are

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Completely arbitrary question

Can you change 2B's outfit? It's a little ridiculous in my opinion.
I haven't deeply studied such details about the game, but I did see this NSFW outfit and wondered if the game just switches from the black skirt outfit to that at some point, or is the one with the black skirt not 2B?

Hektor

I haven't deeply studied such details about the game, but I did see this NSFW outfit and wondered if the game just switches from the black skirt outfit to that at some point, or is the one with the black skirt not 2B?

You can press both the sticks at the same time to explode and reveal this outfit while losing 99% of your HP

Jiraiza

Same outfit but without the skirt. You have to go out of your way to get rid of the skirt, though.

LordKano

???

They have a profile - are their scores not being added to Metacritic anymore, while the profile stays up?

Yeah, their scores aren't added anymore, because they tend to clash too much with how US press review their games. 7/10 from them means it's a great game, but it's under the average on Metacritic.

Inuhanyou

Since it keeps getting brought up, is there any way to play Drakengard properly in English (as in, non-censored)?

Lol like anyone would put Leonard and Furiae's stuff in there...but somehow Arioch could get away scott free? And Caim's child genocide?

I find it hard to belive the first game was localized in general even with an M rating

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Why is this person bragging about retweets on a webm they stole from 4chan ree

Yeah, their scores aren't added anymore, because they tend to clash too much with how US press review their games. 7/10 from them means it's a great game, but it's under the average on Metacritic.

Considering their average was more than a full 14 points below the MC average overall, I'm not surprised.

Glad to hear NieR: Automata gets to keep its 90, though!

poodaddy

Strange how the objectification of women and spank bait bullshit that's so common in Japanese games seems to be getting something of a pass for this game in particular. I wonder why no one seems to be mentioning it at all this time.

Also why isn't the OP being updated with the Gamekult review? Just curious.

JayEH

Strange how the objectification of women and spank bait bullshit that's so common in Japanese games seems to be getting something of a pass for this game in particular. I wonder why no one seems to be mentioning it at all this time.

it hasn't gotten a pass at all there's been plenty of controversy about it. That tweet in particular is not something that you see in the game unless you want to and the game doesn't even tell you how to do it. i didn't know about it until i saw it on gaf.

N.Domixis

Banned

Maybe because it's no longer counted on Metacritic. Who knows.

Hektor

Because despite of the outfit, most games can't even dream of having female characters written as good as these.

Tohsaka

Her skirt will never get destroyed unless you do it on purpose, it's not like Senran Kagura or anything.

As others have mentioned, it's only something you see if you manually activate it, and it can be activated on the male character as well.

It's not being included on Metacritic, and there's already another French review. Trying to put focus on the larger reviewers, or at least those contributing to the Metacritic

If more people want it added, I can do so, however?

ALSO:

Easy Allies' Ben Moore is playing right now (Route A, 7.5 hours in) and says "I will probably be giving this game a high score. Probably THE highest score I've ever given."

True Fire

Strange how the objectification of women and spank bait bullshit that's so common in Japanese games seems to be getting something of a pass for this game in particular. I wonder why no one seems to be mentioning it at all this time

NieR Automata has
nude men
as a plot point. People aren't complaining because they've played the game

mollipen

Because there's nothing worth mentioning? Yeah, they went the extra mile on animated her ass (and thighs)—and you never her in this state if you don't want to. That's the extent of her being "spank bait bullshit".

Top Bottom