• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It's lighter than DMC/MGR actually. But it can get some depth with it's customization. And well, it's open world. But I'd say it's a bit more straight forward as you get to each area outside of the central hub.

Dont forget that the game also changes cameras and gameplay styles for side scroller, isometic view, shmup ,etc. The game has variation to it and the demo kinda gave just a bit of hints of what is there.

So I might be getting this game tomorrow. Is it just a hack and slash like DMC or MGS Rising or is the gameplay deeper? How are the levels, straight forward or puzzle solving?

There's a variety of gameplay, ranging from hack n' slash to side scroller shooter to top down shooter to 3rd person shooter...

JPS Kai

I'm glad to see so much universal praise for Yoko Taro's magnum opus.

Square-Enix didn't send out review code to us, so instead, I bought the game and sang its praises out of my own volition.

I only hope that my words reach the players in their darkest moments and give them hope.

There's a variety of gameplay, ranging from hack n' slash to side scroller shooter to top down shooter to 3rd person shooter...

Maybe I'm just ocd about this and should be media blackout. But I swear in no trailers or regular discourse about this game has there been mention of the 3rd person shooter segment...

Could not stop playing, took a break after almost 4 straight hours

This game is ridiculous. Wasn't expecting to jump between areas so quickly.

Beat the singing boss from previews. Holy shit.

Game has a lot of jank, surely due to its budget, but god damn they took what they had and made the absolute best out of it

(I also appreciate that the open world is seemingly closer to Ocarina of Time or something vs. the giant open worlds in everything else this year)

Falchion

I don't know how you couldn't understand the chip system, with the exception of the finer details of how similar effects might stack and what the limit is.

That's what I was wondering too. Might've been the wrong reviewer for the game. I mean they still had positive impressions and it's not like they give a score which could affect it's meta but still.

Dynasty8

The main thing kinda keeping me away from this game is the length. I hear it's a 10 hour game and I'm on a tight budget right now... I'm also not the type of gamer who likes to replay the whole game over again in order to see a new ending. Glad to see the positive reception though.

Maybe I'm just ocd about this and should be media blackout. But I swear in no trailers or regular discourse about this game has there been mention of the 3rd person shooter segment...

Literally the first thing in the game is a top down shooter, it will some minutes before you control your characters directly

LotusHD

Banned
The main thing kinda keeping me away from this game is the length. I hear it's a 10 hour game and I'm on a tight budget right now... I'm also not the type of gamer who likes to replay the whole game over again in order to see a new ending. Glad to see the positive reception though.

It's not a 10 hour game.

mollipen

It's not a 10 hour game. My "beat it" play through was 37 hours, and I still have numerous side quests, alternate endings, and whatnot to clear up. What you're thinking of "replay the whole game" isn't exactly what it is.

It's like twent hours bare minimum. I and many others have invested 40+. Where did you hear it was ten hours?

Don't worry. It's literally the first interactive part of the game.

Thanks for the reassurance. I've played the first half hour, so I know what he's talking about then. I thought by third person shooter he was referring to something way more jarring/out of place.

I'd like to really start this game but I still have an ending in in Drakengard 3 to get, ugh.

pezzie

Thanks for the reassurance. I've played the first half hour, so I know what he's talking about then. I thought by third person shooter he was referring to something way more jarring/out of place.

I'd like to really start this game but I still have an ending in in Drakengard 3 to get, ugh.

Yea I think he said third person shooter when it should probably be referred to as twin stick shooter.

Grief.exe

But why? I'm sure there's a connection, but it will be exceedingly slim.

Dynasty8

It's like twent hours bare minimum. I and many others have invested 40+. Where did you hear it was ten hours?

People in the review thread were mentioning that it's slightly longer than your typical Platinum game.

If I can get 20-30 hours on a single player that'll be great. Does the game provide a decent challenge too? I'm a huge Souls/Borne/Nioh fan.

Oh man, please report back once you finish D3. Very curious to hear your thoughts.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
People in the review thread were mentioning that it's slightly longer than your typical Platinum game.

If I can get 20-30 hours on a single player that'll be great. Does the game provide a decent challenge too? I'm a huge Souls/Borne/Nioh fan.

Getting the whole main story should be about 40-45 hours. As for challenge you can play hard or very hard which is basically 1 hit and you're dead.

But why? I'm sure there's a connection, but it will be exceedingly slim.

Played through Nier a month back and liked it enough that I felt I should check out Yoko Taro's Drakengard 1 and 3 before Automata releases.
At this point I don't want to start Automata and return to D3 after, so I'm just finishing it up.

Oh man, please report back once you finish D3. Very curious to hear your thoughts.

Will do.
I feel like I've seen about 60 frames total since I started D3

I looove Soulsborne games, and Soulsborne this is not. Automata is not nearly as fair, and the runbacks can be brutal. Platinum fans may find the challenge more enjoyable, but I found Hard(let alone Very Hard) to be constant frustration.

You will absolutely get your money's worth, though. This is a game that you can sink your teeth into, and come back for seconds.
Will do.
Who needs frames? Or textures? Or enemy variety? Nothing but excess.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
90 on MC after 45 reviews, that's surprising considering the first one got panned.

I first thought the same, i thought it was super surprising and mind boggling how big of a turn around it was...but its seeming increasingly more to the point that Yoko Taro's ideas were very much tied down by inferior development houses and budgets in the past.

I mean i always felt this the case, but its becoming starkly more in your face the more reviews come out. Many people are praising Yoko's contribution directly to the game from the world view, the story, the characters and what remained of Cavia's last effort with Okabe too

I mean, most people i'm seeing now getting into automata don't even know who YT is, a lot of the reviewers even don't!

So to say that he came from nowhere because the previous games he was involved with were let down through other areas just seems more real

Rektash

Just got email confirmation that my Black Box Edition has been shipped from the Square Enix Online Store europe via DHL! Can't wait to hold this beauty in my hands!

Just got email confirmation that my Black Box Edition has been shipped from the SqaureEnix Shop europe via DHL! Can't wait!

Still waiting on Amazon to dispatch mine. Today's the day they dispatch for Friday delivery so here's hoping it's smooth sailing from the get go. Spoilers are being harder to avoid since it had its official release in America.

Rektash

Still waiting on Amazon to dispatch mine. Today's the day theyvduspatch for Friday delivery so here's hoping it's smooth sailing from the get go. Spoilers are being harder to avoid since it had its official release in America.

Interesting. I'd expect amazon to be on point with this. They certainly are in germany and haven't missed a single release date delivery for me personally.

Man, I forgot how expensive the Black Box Edition was. 212€s down the drain D:.

Still no dispatch from Amazon (UK) for me yet, but according to the tracker it'll dispatch at some point today and be with me on Friday.

Related to this, does anyone know if editing the delivery address prior to dispatch will fuck up the order? Figured I'd get it delivered to work instead of home but don't want to end up delaying it!

Edit: Can confirm that it does end up delaying the order. Sigh.

Looking forward to this. Horizon is awesome and I should have that wrapped up mainly in the coming days so this is coming at a good time and I'm off next week. And sounds decently lengthy so should keep me occupied before P5 drops. Great time in gaming right now.

Still no dispatch from Amazon (UK) for me yet, but according to the tracker it'll dispatch at some point today and be with me on Friday.

Related to this, does anyone know if editing the delivery address prior to dispatch will fuck up the order? Figured I'd get it delivered to work instead of home but don't want to end up delaying it!

Edit: Can confirm that it does end up delaying the order. Sigh.

Yeah it delays, shame i couldn't have read the post earlier. Isn't it still early enough for you to get launch day release or is it after Friday.

Could not stop playing, took a break after almost 4 straight hours

This game is ridiculous. Wasn't expecting to jump between areas so quickly.

Beat the singing boss from previews. Holy shit.

Game has a lot of jank, surely due to its budget, but god damn they took what they had and made the absolute best out of it

(I also appreciate that the open world is seemingly closer to Ocarina of Time or something vs. the giant open worlds in everything else this year)
Oh. That sounds fantastic, so glad to hear that.

Large open worlds are killing some games for me. Seems this game may be that square magic

Tonyx

Do we have sales data? I want to know if I have to scavenge for a PS3 copy of Nier or if there is a good chance of a remaster.

I saw a GameSpot thread where they took my post about Ending A being 7 hours long and then were like 'pre-order cancelled!'

I wish I hadn't post about that. I gave the internet the benefit of the doubt to not have a knee-jerk reaction like that. Oh well.

Is Nier's hard difficutly harder than MGR's and Bayonetta's normal difficulty?
In a way, yes. Pure action games are better balanced for higher difficulties. Automata's difficulty is in that of an RPG -- where it asks the player to grind just to be on an even playing field.

Didn't bother me. I seek challenges in all forms -- fair or unfair. But I won't lie, I will always prefer the former.

Razmos

Just saw this ad on Facebook
1vDj5nX.png

The comments are all a bunch of tryhard "I've never heard of it" or "Yakuza 0 is better" but still! That mainstream appeal hmmmmm

Gbraga

Played through Nier a month back and liked it enough that I felt I should check out Yoko Taro's Drakengard 1 and 3 before Automata releases.
At this point I don't want to start Automata and return to D3 after, so I'm just finishing it up.

Will do.

Did you try setting your PS4 resolution to 720p? I don't even remember why I tried doing that, and maybe it was just a coincidence, but from that point on, the screen tearing was considerably reduced, and I feel like the huge drops are more rare. Like, people told me it would get much worse than the first couple of hours, but so far it hasn't, and I wonder if it has something to do with that.

Maybe the way the game handles upscaling is borked if you set your PS3 to 1080p? I don't know. Even the Mikhail sections that people say are the worst rarely get that bad for me, they're mostly "almost ok".

Still, that would be like 100 frames for me against your 60. I'm not saying the game runs well at all.

I think I'll get to ending A tonight, can't wait to see how it goes. Chapter 5 started really well.

Yeah it delays, shame i couldn't have read the post earlier. Isn't it still early enough for you to get launch day release or is it after Friday.

My fault for being impatient, wa. Changed it to my work address, added a day on, changed it back to my home address and it still added a day on. Certainly still early enough but I guess at this point I may as well not risk it - I'll be at work tomorrow so good chance it would have got miss-delivered anyway (neighbours often not in/delivery person can't be arsed to use the trade button on the building entrance) and I won't get the chance to play after work. Ideally want to be playing all day from early Saturday but just have to hope it gets delivered ASAP that day. Know it only adds 24 hours in terms of it being my hands and I've been waiting for years, but it's still frustrating.

Top Bottom