• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Nasbin

Seeing Nier and Horizon tied is awesome - no more fighting!

The rest of the world might be going to shit but man video games have been incredible this past year.

Lifeline

Back to 89. I wanted to play a 90 metacritic Platinum game, not a below 90 metacritic Platinum game, I guess i missed out. Should have gotten it sooner.

Actually I have a feeling they will give it 4 stars / 80.

But I wouldn't mind to see a big 90 though.

Well he did say on stream:

"I will probably be giving this game a high score. Probably THE highest score I've ever given."

I trust in you Ben.

(Also, we're at 90.2609 average, so one of those lower scores must be weighted more heavily than the rest as to lower that. Hopefully EZA has enough weight to bring it back up.)

89 means is as bad as Horizon, Nintendo fans enjoying their superior gaming (non-jaded) experience with Zelda BOTW.

Stay losing Yoko Taro,Sony and PC gamers!

I'm joking

killatopak

I tried my best everyone
TO BRING THE SCORE BELOW 90 MUHAHAHAHAHA!

fb0.jpg

999 is such a shit game.
Everyone just dies and nothing is explained!

Heart skipped a beat when I read that lol.

Since it keeps getting brought up, is there any way to play Drakengard properly in English (as in, non-censored)?

Any Tumblr post or anything that goes into detail about the toned down dialogue? I know the general gist.

Strange how the objectification of women and spank bait bullshit that's so common in Japanese games seems to be getting something of a pass for this game in particular. I wonder why no one seems to be mentioning it at all this time.

1. People have already said their dues about it.
2. Sexy outfit != the game can do nothing right about representing women now. sexy outfits might just perhaps not take precedence over all writing! Nooooooo!
3. Yoko Taro's games have really well written characters. That includes women. In the first Nier, a character who only wears literal underwear throughout the whole game is one of the most detailed and most well-written characters for example.
4. There is much more to talk about in this game, such as the great critical acclaim and the (apparently amazing) story, as well as other things like the whole PC release bullshittery. So people are talking about those things instead of focusing on the protagonist's outfit.
5. Many people in the fanbase find the design outright appealing, and nothing is wrong with that.

Jiraiza

1. People have already said their dues about it.
2. Sexy outfit != the game can do nothing right about representing women now. sexy outfits might just perhaps not take precedence over all writing! Nooooooo!
3. Yoko Taro's games have really well written characters. That includes women. In the first Nier, a character who only wears literal underwear throughout the whole game is one of the most detailed and most well-written characters for example.
4. There is much more to talk about in this game, such as the great critical acclaim and the (apparently amazing) story, as well as other things like the whole PC release bullshittery. So people are talking about those things instead of focusing on the protagonist's outfit.
5. Many people in the fanbase find the design outright appealing, and nothing is wrong with that.

Another thing to add, people who actually played the game realize that there isn't actually any fanservice shoved down your throat unless you go out of your way to get it.

brb leaving planet.

Taro fans been driven from the Earth by beta testers of another console. In a final effort to take back the planet, the Nier resistance sends a force of 10/10 reviews to destroy the invaders. Now, a war between Switches and android thighs rages on... A war that could soon unveil a long-forgotten truth of the world.

The funny thing is, the actual average right now is still a solid 90.2609.

Either one of the lower scores is weighted more heavily, or Metacritic rounds down at .3. (It was at 90.3333 before.)

chekhonte

well that's the final nail in Square's and Taro's coffin. They should just stick to making clash of clans clones on Android and save the big games for the big boys.

UrbanRats

Oh my. Wasn't he a Mod or something? Great digging.

On topic: 2017 best year in gaming history confirmed. Wish I had more money, though.

To be fair the PS3 didn't exactly have a great first half.
They really turned things around with the slim, the rebranding, etc, tho.

Top Bottom