• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

And Red Dead 2

Like many others have stated, it's doubtful it's coming out in 2017.

Easy Allies coming too, but will probably be a 9 at best

Ben has already said the game will probably end up getting the highest score he's given so far. (Which pins it between 90 & 100.)

Come on USGamer and Sixth Axis, you can do it!

We'll need an average of 91.67 from the three remaining holdouts (EZA, US Gamer, and Sixth Axis) to get the average back to 90.3333+. (What the average was when the MC score was 90)

Ducktail

I wish I had more time. I never skipped out on a main RE until now. I might even skip out on Mass Effect.

Well, that too.. no point in having tons of games and no time to play it. It's also my first time skipping a main RE and I feel sad for it. Being an adult is certainly not easy.

Would a single perfect score bring the mc back to 90?

Yes, assuming it's not accompanied by other, lower scores. (90.4681 after a new 100/100 Review)

Overall, these last 3 reviews need to reach 275/300 (100x3) or 91.67% to put the average at or above 90.3333 (Where it last held a 90 MC)

We dont know because some sites are worth more than others.

As ArkhamFantasy states however, they will need more/less depending on the weight their reviews are given.

I'm there now. I don't know how many hours this is going to take me, I'm not great at this genre.

Yea unfortunately I'm at the last moment of the game so I missed out on this advice. Personally I found the Jungle chapter to have the worst FPS.
Glad to hear you're seemingly enjoying it. Imo the game is pretty interesting, but I was very unconvinced during the first couple hours.
If you can't get it after a few hours, there's no shame in youtubing the rest. That's what I did.

What matters is that you got there.

Abelard

To those who have played it, does the world seem beautiful or drab? I ask because it seems bland in footage, but I found TLOU's world great too despite by initial impressions of it, so being immersed in it is a different experience.

Also, is there enemy variety besides the R2D2-like robots?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
To those who have played it, does the world seem beautiful or drab? I ask because it seems bland in footage, but I found TLOU's world great too despite by initial impressions of it, so being immersed in it is a different experience.

Beautifully drab

The world can be drab in some places, beautiful in others. It's more open than TLOU, so it may feel more empty in comparison.

Also, yes there is good enemy variety.

ethomaz

Banned
If EZA gave it 100, the new average would be 90.25, and would need a further 95 to put it back up to 9.3333.

Depending on how things are weighted though, it could need more, it could need less.
At least until Edge come and define the final score :D

That happens a lot of times with Edge changing +-1 points in the score.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
At least until Edge come and define the final score :D

That happens a lot of times with Edge changing +-1 points in the score.

Edge loves Platinum's higher budget games, They gave Bayonetta 2 a 10 and are generally pretty positive on their games. We'll see how this one pans out for them.

So in short, we're waiting on EZA, Edge, USGamer, and TSA to see if they can manage a 93.75% (375/400) average after Gamerevolution's 8/10. (More or less due to weighting)

Here's hoping EZA and Edge can boost it with their weights - they're the higher weighted reviews of the 4, right?

Slightly off topic but is Transformers: Devastation any good if you're not really a fan of Transformers? I've heard mixed things.

It's the best of the budget platinum games for sure. It's got more depth than Revengeance, but it's let down by the fact that they built a small city level and had to build their levels inside of that with occasionally branching paths with different environmental design.

Should go for pretty cheap now.

ethomaz

Banned
So in short, we're waiting on EZA, Edge, USGamer, and TSA to see if they can manage a 93.75% (375/400) average after Gamerevolution's 8/10. (More or less due to weighting)

Here's hoping EZA and Edge can boost it with their weights - they're the higher weighted reviews of the 4, right?
I don't know EZA is weighted but Edge is on the top tier together with IGN I guess.

jkh13

Neo Member
Edge is likely not top tier metacritic, last time someone did an analysis on the weightings over on gamasutra it was the 2nd best tier. Things might have changed since though.

I also highly doubt EZA are top tier because they haven't been around long enough and don't have enough reviews.

Sixth axis are top tier.

Slightly off topic but is Transformers: Devastation any good if you're not really a fan of Transformers? I've heard mixed things.
I do not care for Transformers what-so-ever and it was my favourite game of 2015 and my game of the gen prior to NieR: Automata.

But, I really like action titles. Especially the ones by PlatinumGames.

Metacritic do not know what they are talking about. Nier Automata is the best game in ages, yet its Metascore is only 89. Objectively, it is clearly a 90+ game, and with this low score, Metacritic has lost all credibility.

Metacritic is flawed by design. The score is decided by biased reviewers, who don't even try to find the objective truth with their scores (so much for games journalism). Instead they post their subjective opinions, valid only for themselves, or worse, puke out edgy low scores just to generate as many clicks as imaginably possible. Why should these arbitrary people be allowed to determine the true worth of game?

So what is the solution? I propose we look at user reviews. While journalists make up an unrepresentative selection of gamers at large, a lot more people can vote on the user score, thus bringing it closer the objective value. The current system is like the electoral college, where the voice of the people is suppressed, and some people's votes are considered more important than others'. This is great for politicians/publishers who know how to play the system, but shouldn't we strive for true democracy?

Hektor

Metacritic do not know what they are talking about. Nier Automata is the best game in ages, yet its Metascore is only 89. Objectively, it is clearly a 90+ game, and with this low score, Metacritic has lost all credibility.

Metacritic is flawed by design. The score is decided by biased reviewers, who don't even try to find the objective truth with their scores (so much for games journalism). Instead they post their subjective opinions, valid only for themselves, or worse, puke out edgy low scores just to generate as many clicks as imaginably possible. Why should these arbitrary people be allowed to determine the true worth of game?

So what is the solution? I propose we look at user reviews. While journalists make up an unrepresentative selection of gamers at large, a lot more people can vote on the user score, thus bringing it closer the objective value. The current system is like the electoral college, where the voice of the people is suppressed, and some people's votes are considered more important than others'. This is great for politicians/publishers who know how to play the system, but shouldn't we strive for true democracy?

TL;DR

1446172305162.png

The issue lies more with editors who would rather have a story for 'muh immersion' opposed to awesome gameplay.

Hence Transformers: Devastation's score on Metacritic.

Unpopular opinion but Transformers is my favorite Platinum title

Seems like Nier is easily dethroning it though. Devastation was cool for its aggressive AI, boss fights, music, and aesthetic. It also had a really bad RPG/loot system that brings down the game

Nier doesn't have the AI/duels (yet) but the art direction/story/music/variety in environments and gameplay are incredible

85/100 from 3DJuegos.

Actual Average now at 90.1489. Further reviews must average 91.57143 to regain a 90 MC score. (90.3333)

Individual scores depend on publication weights, however, so it could be more/less.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The remarkable thing is that Nier is getting as good or better reviews than most AAA titles despite having a "B" maybe "B+" tier budget.

Of course there are plenty of indy-titles that have done very well at review, but they rarely if ever are competing directly with high-end boxed product.

If you can't get it after a few hours, there's no shame in youtubing the rest. That's what I did.

What matters is that you got there.

I tried for a couple hours last night. Invited my friend over today,
he plays drums irl and is also pretty into rhythm games.
He just beat it, I guess I'm buying him pizza.
In addition to being incredibly hard, it is a really awesome finale.

watdaeff4

Based off history, I'm taking you are saying this tongue-in-cheek just to generate discussion....or stir the pot.

Zemm

Edge is likely not top tier metacritic, last time someone did an analysis on the weightings over on gamasutra it was the 2nd best tier. Things might have changed since though.

I also highly doubt EZA are top tier because they haven't been around long enough and don't have enough reviews.

Sixth axis are top tier.

That's crazy if true. Only IGN really compare to Edge and I think even that is being generous. Edge should be S tier.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The remarkable thing is that Nier is getting as good or better reviews than most AAA titles despite having a "B" maybe "B+" tier budget.

Of course there are plenty of indy-titles that have done very well at review, but they rarely if ever are competing directly with high-end boxed product.

Saito said that they have a A tier budget which isn't AAA or even AA but is big enough to fulfill their aims for the title

i think they might make their money back pretty successfully

Nasbin

Poe's Law

True Fire

Is this a meme or do people actually care if the game is 90 vs 89?

I'm assuming that people are joking. I know a lot of gamers get emotionally invested in metacritic for some reason, but Yoko has been releasing critical failures for almost two decades. Metacritic really doesn't matter for NieR

LotusHD

Banned
Is this a meme or do people actually care if the game is 90 vs 89?

I'd like to think of this thread as a door. You open the door, and you're in the review thread, and while you're here, sure, you care about the game getting as high a score as possible. When you leave the thread and it's out of your mind, you don't really give that much of a shit. That's how I tend to operate anyways. Caring for awhile... until I don't. Even more so now that I have the game and don't have to sit around idly.

Top Bottom