• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

Team Ninja displays an obsession with new-found emptiness that anchors the action, betrays fans, and repels newcomers.

Ninja Gaiden 3 is a gash on the face of the franchise and one of the worst games the action genre has yet suffered. It has no consideration for its fans’ wants or what a new audience may have enjoyed.

3/10 from IGN. Holy shit!! Ninja Gaiden franchise is NOTHING without this man. I look forward to the Dead or Alive 5 reviews...

jCpnaZWLL6IZV.jpg

Endo Punk

I see ign taking the side of fans with NG3 which is very hypocritical of them because when it comes to DmC they have slammed fan numerous times regarding the change.

Dave1988

I see ign taking the side of fans with NG3 which is very hypocritical of them because when it comes to DmC they have slammed fan numerous times regarding the change.

Butbutbutbutbut DmC will have teh dramaz and a deep plot. Just what the series always needed. 9 out of 10 moneyhatz.

Xater

Going to wait for other reviews too...as well as more GAF impressions.

Even Yakuza Dead Souls got a 5.0 and i'm sure thats at least worth a 7. At least Binary Domain got a somewhat decent score...even though that is at least an 8 lol.

Have you played it? I have, it fucking sucks.

I am glad IGN finally found the low end scale.

Carbonox

A 3/10? Wow.

I still have the game on preorder as it was between it and Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City...

Kinda boned myself there, with those selections, eh? :lol

I'm a big fan of both franchises and Ninja Gaiden 3 hasn't looked bad in many gameplay vids...

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
IGN is trying to be a very strict, professional reviewer after the Mass Effect suspicions.

Wow, a score like that from IGN, and 9s-8s from everywhere else so far.

FUCKING HYPE.

What happened with Mass Effect?

I'm not sure if I know exactly what this is about, but I assume it has to do with the fact that IGN gave Mass Effect a 9.5/10 despite it's many problems and disappointments...BUT it had IGN's own butter-face, Jessica Chobot starring in an epic cameo.

dreamahm

Banned
I hope wii U ver. fix:

*Frame to 60 fps.
*Add more & more weapon.
*Fix camera issue more.
*Add many controller type.
*Add more exclusive chapter.
*Increase graphics power.
*Finally 50-40$ price.

Zeliard

Looks like this game is being hammered for similar reasons that DmC is likely to be - shallow, repetitive combat, scripted scenes, and a ridiculous attempt at creating something deep and meaningful with a character who exists just to kill monsters in a slick fashion.

I imagine the storytelling with Ninja Theory's game will be better-received, though. Team Ninja couldn't do story with or without Itagaki, though they never tried much either. Then again, when you decide story and setting are more important than going for 60 FPS in a 3D action game like DMC, you've got your priorities all mixed up.

It's also not just the IGN review for NG3; that Swedish Gamereactor review which gave it 7/10 paints a similar picture. They call it far more forgiving and far more prone to progression via simple button-mashing.

Here's Gamereactor summarizing things:

You take what I am getting. The enemy slain simple, you'll never have to think, adventure elements are removed, Quick Time Events succeed trickier sequences as well as menus are greatly simplified so that the game's vanilla version can not even switch weapons. Ninja Gaiden has been casual, and it gnaws at me, while I find it more reminiscent of Ninja Blade than the challenging demanding their predecessors.

It's Google translated but easy enough to understand what he's saying. He does go on to praise it some for its similarities to Ninja Blade, a game he liked, but a game most people (including the reviewer) would agree isn't really Ninja Gaiden.

You know, I'm certain there are a whole host of reasons the game was changed and chopped up as much as it was - so I don't imagine Hayashi is solely to blame... but fuck, what the fuck were they thinking when they created this game?

I've got the CE on pre-order, and I'm looking forward to playing it through on Hard because I desperately need a 3rd person action game to play, but all of the reviews and impressions have me down on the developers. Even the good reviews explicitly state that it's an inferior version of its predecessors.

How on earth did Hayashi & co. sit in a room together and decide the following:
1. Remove de-limb/de-caps
2. Add button mashing and QTE's
3. Kunai Climbing
4. Remove EVERY weapon bar Sword
5. Remove currency and upgrade system
6. Remove inventory/potions
7. Dumb down Ninpo

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on a few things I've seen - namely, the Stealth, some of the bosses I've seen, the enemies begging for mercy, multiplayer modes, the 'slide', changes to flying swallow etc. These are minor enough to have been removed/altered and still have a game that plays and feels at least as good as NG1 or NG2. But the list I created above are all decisions that I feel are a fucking joke. At absolutely no point should any of those things have been brought to the table, and if they were, there should have been significant community back and forth or at the very least, some options/toggles to have the game play more like the predecessors.

I thought the Sigma games were both poor imitations on the superior originals, but ultimately worth playing. I felt that Hayashi & Co may have been limited by budget and scope when creating the Sigma games - and I figured with a full production team behind NG3, it was Hayashi's opportunity to prove himself. I have zero faith that Hayashi is at all competent at creating a game that fans want. I understand his team may have felt the need to make Ninja Gaiden 'their own' and make some changes - but I really don't understand how they thought their take on NG is supposed to appease fans or attract new comers... when it's plain and simple, not as good or engaging.

Kayo-kun

After reading and watching the IGN review, I'm really disappointed. It seems like every fear I had with the new path Hayashi took with NG3 has turned out to be true. Fuck you Hayashi for ruining one of my favourite series.

.la1n

I Consider myself a pretty avid action game fan. Played through DMC 1-4, Ninja Gaiden, Black, Bayonetta, and both Sigma games. I am currently playing through NG 3. I am having fun, the game is fun. If you like fun then I wager that you may also enjoy this game. Since when does GAF take anything an IGN review says seriously anyway?

How on earth did Hayashi & co. sit in a room together and decide the following:
1. Remove de-limb/de-caps
2. Add button mashing and QTE's
3. Kunai Climbing
4. Remove EVERY weapon bar Sword
5. Remove currency and upgrade system
6. Remove inventory/potions
7. Dumb down Ninpo

1. who cares, doesn't impact gameplay
2. can be turned off in options
3. not nearly as annoying as you may think
4. I only ever used the sword in every NG game so YMMV
5. currency and upgrade system was more of a pain than it was worth, just give me the goods as I go
6. good, the system in place was clumsy and horribly executed.
7. if anything it's one less QTE event to worry about

I really wish Iberians NG realm didn't go under. Really interested to hear what they thought of this.

This review is really spot on though. Especially the video review. The game is so mundane and THE SAME THING for 8 straight hours.
I watched the entire game on youtube (will still play it only if I can rent it), and I was bored to tears. There is absolutely no variety. There are maybe 6-7 ground enemies (human) and 3-4 non human. Repeated over and over, for 8 levels. Bosses are recycled as well.
I encourage everyone to at least watch some of the playthrough on youtube.
And that
T-Rex
boss fight is an absolute joke.

For everyone wanting to play this game because of the story (first of all lololol) because of the NES trilogy writer (again loololol), I think watching the playthrough will save you a lot of, what could be, wasted time.
I watched every NGB video that they uploaded. I got so many great tips from that site. It really sucks that it is gone.

After reading and watching the IGN review, I'm really disappointed. It seems like every fear I had with the new path Hayashi took with NG3 has turned out to be true. Fuck you Hayashi for ruining one of my favourite series.

I really hope that they let a new person be incharge for NG4. I think that Hayahi has had 3 chances now to really distinguish himself and it seems that he has been unable to.

Asriel

I Consider myself a pretty avid action game fan. Played through DMC 1-4, Ninja Gaiden, Black, Bayonetta, and both Sigma games. I am currently playing through NG 3. I am having fun, the game is fun. If you like fun then I wager that you may also enjoy this game. Since when does GAF take anything an IGN review says seriously anyway?

5. currency and upgrade system was more of a pain than it was worth, just give me the goods as I go

LOL, seriously?

Esp to #4, 6 and 7.

While I don't doubt you're having fun with it - just as I expect to have fun with it... the list I wrote is not so easily dismissed.

Fact is, de-limbing absolutely affects gameplay, if I need to explain why de-limbing and the consequences/strategy were so important in NG2 - you missed quite a bit of the game.

The QTE's cannot be 'turned off' - they simply remove the button prompts... the basic premise still remains - combined with the fact that reviews have mentioned the need to leave them on in some boss fights due to more complex button combination QTE's.

Kunai climbing is a joke for a super-ninja regardless of whether it is more or less annoying than I think it is.

While you may have only used the sword - the other weapons were integral to:
A) Playing harder difficulties
B) Increasing replayability
C) Variety of gameplay - if I'm killing 2000+ enemies in a playthrough, I want to at least be able to use something crazy every now and then.

Currency and upgrade system were anything but annoying and I think rewarding the player or making them decide where upgrades should go is a fairly integral part of the NG franchise at this point - removing it and making upgrades tied into the story is a joke.

While the inventory system may have been clunky, rationing potions and saving LoaTG's for high difficulty playthroughs were as much a part of the difficulty/strategy than the fighting was... again, removing them is a fairly drastic change to the way the NG franchise has been handled thus far. The same goes for Nin-po, which was a resource for invincibility frames and a tool you had to ration carefully... now it's a use it or lose it flashy attack.

I don't doubt there is a fun game to be played in NG3 - but Hayashi has handled it poorly and made some significant changes to the formula that are going to annoying fans.

DmC is looking to be great game and is exactly what the series needed. NG3 is going in the wrong direction.

CAVE343

I played all NG games, and barely beat them on normal so I kinda suck, but I really enjoyed them and had lots of fun.

In the previous games I never felt like I was owning the enemies so all I'm hoping for is a fun and entertaining game. I don't mind if it makes me feel like a badass while in reality the game is just too easy.

I really feel for you hardcore guys though, this seems like the ultimate disapointment

Edit: the kunai climbing is ridiculous

Yeah I dont see how anyone can say that taking away potions is a positive. I liked having that choice, it added an extra bit of strategy to the game.

you don't need potions if you balance the game properly. using and managing consumables is pretty annoying. just concentrate on the action and play well.

rvy

Banned

Do people seriously believe that it was simply an aesthetic choice? What the fuck, lol. I clearly remember de-limbed enemies being more dangerous and aggressive. If that isn't changing the gameplay, I don't know what changing the gameplay is.

When it happens to match-up with their already pre-conceived notions about this particular game? You bet!

Hayashi?

Joke post.

Kifimbo

Someone I know playtested the game this winter. Said it was awful compared to the previous games. So I'm not surprised by IGN score.

I played all NG games, and barely beat them on normal so I kinda suck, but I really enjoyed them and had lots of fun.

In the previous games I never felt like I was owning the enemies so all I'm hoping for is a fun and entertaining game. I don't mind if it makes me feel like a badass while in reality the game is just too easy.

I really feel for you hardcore guys though, this seems like the ultimate disapointment

Edit: the kunai climbing is ridiculous

I have always been in favour of a broader range of difficulties for Ninja Gaiden. I have watched numerous friends flail with the controls, make it through each battle by the skin of their teeth on the lowest difficulties and ultimately give up on the games at the first notoriously difficult boss fight. So dumbing down some elements and making the game more accessible is something I absolutely think Hayashi should have been focused on. I just think that he made some drastic changes that do very little for accessibility. More importantly, the changes his team made should have been given toggle options so long-term fans could play the game more 'traditionally'. At this point it's just a bit of a mess by dumbing down significant elements, introducing some terrible QTE sequences and removing the weapon variety. Some changes make sense for making the game more enticing to newcomers/beginners, but only a few.

.la1n

LOL, seriously?

Esp to #4, 6 and 7.

Wow did not realize we weren't allowed to post personal opinions here anymore, sorry.

While I don't doubt you're having fun with it - just as I expect to have fun with it... the list I wrote is not so easily dismissed.

Fact is, de-limbing absolutely affects gameplay, if I need to explain why de-limbing and the consequences/strategy were so important in NG2 - you missed quite a bit of the game.

The QTE's cannot be 'turned off' - they simply remove the button prompts... the basic premise still remains - combined with the fact that reviews have mentioned the need to leave them on in some boss fights due to more complex button combination QTE's.

Kunai climbing is a joke for a super-ninja regardless of whether it is more or less annoying than I think it is.

While you may have only used the sword - the other weapons were integral to:
A) Playing harder difficulties
B) Increasing replayability
C) Variety of gameplay - if I'm killing 2000+ enemies in a playthrough, I want to at least be able to use something crazy every now and then.

Currency and upgrade system were anything but annoying and I think rewarding the player or making them decide where upgrades should go is a fairly integral part of the NG franchise at this point - removing it and making upgrades tied into the story is a joke.

While the inventory system may have been clunky, rationing potions and saving LoaTG's for high difficulty playthroughs were as much a part of the difficulty/strategy than the fighting was... again, removing them is a fairly drastic change to the way the NG franchise has been handled thus far. The same goes for Nin-po, which was a resource for invincibility frames and a tool you had to ration carefully... now it's a use it or lose it flashy attack.

I don't doubt there is a fun game to be played in NG3 - but Hayashi has handled it poorly and made some significant changes to the formula that are going to annoying fans.

Points taken. It seems you just have a different view of what makes Ninja Gaiden what it is to you. That is perfectly acceptable and I can relate as I feel the same towards other franchises. I still think if you play the hardest difficulty you might find more enjoyment than you may be expecting.

I'm sure Itagaki is laughing so hard right now.

He should probably actually finish a game before he laughs at anything.

Top Bottom