• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turnbl

I keep hearing that you can plug the controller into a Wiimote to circumvent the short cable. Is this true? If so, how does it connect?

No. Well you can, but to only to use the pad on the Wii.

There are 3rd party wireless controllers and extension cables coming soon posted already in this thread.

Wired Wii Classic and Wii Classic Pro pads will also work wired (not the wireless Wii U Pro).

kIFmas2l.jpg

Mailman just came. Finishing Dust: An Elysian Tail right now, then it's time to fire up this little cutie. Looks great, can't wait to try it out.

I prefer this packaging to NA's.

SeanR1221

I'm sorry for beating a dead horse but I have to.

Nintendo, you could have made an absolute KILLING by, on top of selling the system as is with 30 preinstalled games, designing this thing with some kind of cartridge slot and selling additional games on cartridges. 4-5 games on each collection. Make the cartridges cute looking, similar to the NES ones, just smaller. Nice cardboard boxes. 20$ each.

If you're going to bank on nostalgia, how about going all in.

Because most people will buy it for the 30 games. Play once or twice. And rarely play again.

Grok4Spock

My Gamestop has 12 consoles and 2 controllers.... Glad I'm 3rd I'm line and the first dude in line isn't getting a controller.... Nintendo gonna Nintendo *Le sigh*

d1rtn4p

Man Nintendo is so dumb. They miss out on soooooo much money everytime they release new hardware. Now scalpers are about to take the stage.

ParityBit

I walked up to Target at 7:50 this morning. I was about 10th in line. They had 24 in and the line ended up around 30 deep. They did not handle it all that well, because they broke us into 2 lines so I saw some people who were in the back of the line get one.

I saw no kids, all adults and most said it was for them, not the kids. Heh

Man Nintendo is so dumb. They miss out on soooooo much money everytime they release new hardware. Now scalpers are about to take the stage.

This is about getting people discussing Nintendo again. Having a hot and rare product will generate a lot of discussion for them. It's all about Nintendo mind share going into the Switch release.

Sephzilla

Different situation, no one expected a collection console like this to get so much demand

Was it Nintendo's decision to not let the NES Classic be available for pre-orders? If it was their call, then it's entirely on them for not realizing the demand. Plus, Nintendo in recent history has had a really bad track record of under producing on products that are in demand (the Wii and Amiibos immediately come to mind)

This is about getting people discussing Nintendo again. Having a hot and rare product will generate a lot of discussion for them. It's all about Nintendo mind share going into the Switch release.

If I was Nintendo I think I'd rather have people buying my product right now rather than talking about how they can't buy my product right now.

kaioshade

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how pissing off the very people who are trying to do business with you is a good thing, but i guess its that whole "any attention is good attention"?

I think it's too early to tell yet. The problem is this isn't exactly a console with legs for years. Who is going to want this thing after Christmas? IMO, they had lightning in a bottle here, and they blew it.
Yup.
I've said it before, a few friends who aren't even casual gamers wanted this. Why are people going to bother when they have no chance of getting one after today? It'll be forgotten if it stays sold out. And not because of the super high demand, but the ridiculous short supply they ALWAYS send out.

Had my wife try but she didnt believe me on how early she needed to get there (I was at work). She was #28. They got 24. FML. So now I'm sitting in line at a *shudder* Gamestop. I haven't bought anything from this company sinc 2014. I'm 3rd in line though, so odds are good.

FWIW I ordered two when the Dell link was posted. If I get one here, I will pass those off to fellow gaffers, at cost + shipping only, no profit on my end. If supplies are so constrained that people need the help getting one anyway.

KooPaL

Because it helps to create bigger demand for the product and now it is a desirable "hot" item for the upcoming holiday window.

I get you want to create holiday "buzz" but to me they severely constrained it to the point that its really hard for prospective consumers to get. You want to create buzz but not at the expense of people who might not be able to buy the product. (See amiibo Mega Yarn Yoshi).

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how pissing off the very people who are trying to do business with you is a good thing, but i guess its that whole "any attention is good attention"?

Yup. We've seen it before. People are pissed, sure, but they still want it. That frenzy keeps conversation about Nintendo afloat. I'm sure their goal is to be able to hit some talk shows and demonstrate/discuss the product. At that point they might name drop Switch. Even if they don't, they still have people talking about Nintendo again.

I'm not actually sure if this will translate into Switch sales for them but I'm sure they hope it will.

Ridley327

Was it Nintendo's decision to not let the NES Classic be available for pre-orders? If it was their call, then it's entirely on them for not realizing the demand. Plus, Nintendo in recent history has had a really bad track record of under producing on products that are in demand (the Wii and Amiibos immediately come to mind)

As someone that worked retail when the Wii came out, you do not send more than 50 systems at a minimum on a near weekly basis for weeks and expect to sell out within minutes. The demand for the Wii was unlike anything that's been seen before, during or since, and I don't know how much more Nintendo could have done with already large shipments.

kaioshade

Yup. We've seen it before. People are pissed, sure, but they still want it. That frenzy keeps conversation about Nintendo afloat. I'm sure their goal is to be able to hit some talk shows and demonstrate/discuss the product. At that point they might name drop Switch. Even if they don't, they still have people talking about Nintendo again.

I'm not actually sure if this will translate into Switch sales for them but I'm sure they hope it will.

At this point they need to fail. hard. Send a message fucking over your consumers repeatedly is not behavior to be rewarded.

Sephzilla

Having product available for purchase usually translates into better sales.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the concept of supply and demand. But Nintendo takes it to an extreme that I honestly believe hurts them overall.

Having product available for purchase usually translates into better sales.

Sales for the NES Classic? People are going to buy it either way despite how many are available on day one. People are going to buy it. Their sales are fine.

What they really want is conversation. This is a marketing piece. Make Nintendo Great Again.

It wont on my end. My nostalgia for classic nintendo is always high, but my desire for their hair-brained newer stuff is nonexistent. As I said with the WiiU, if they release a Switch sku that comes bundled with the standardized controller I'd probably bite. Instead of that tablet (wiiU) or those two transformer pieces you have to link together on that mount thing. But that thing that you snap the two halves into looks like it widens the controller too much and would irritate me.

BigBeauford

Well, my Amazon 15' HDMI cable might be bad, or this thing didn't like it, but it kept flickering so that didn't work. God damn this thing is cool, but there is no excuse for this cable.

Mrmask

Well, went to Walmart and there were 5 available and it was first come first serve, but no limit was held, so 1 guy got all 5 and actually chatted us and the worker up about how much he was gonna make.I went to my small town Target and they got 3 in and had something like 20-30 people lined up at least!

Sucks. :(

Hope Amazon or someone offers some help.

Retrobox

At this point they need to fail. hard. Send a message fucking over your consumers repeatedly is not behavior to be rewarded.

With all due respect for anyone who likes video games, but gamers are THE worst at boycotting. A vast majority couldn't do it if their lives depended on it. Gonna need a plan B here.

So let me get this straight -- the NES Mini is selling for more on ebay than the Wii U was selling for in stores?

Does anyone else find this as comical as I do?

MilShap

Rolled into Target right when they opened, staff said they had 3 and they were gone immediately. Heard at least 6 other people come in and ask as well.

Sephzilla

I talked with my Gamestop yesterday and they said they had 6 and it was first come first serve in the morning, and already had about 10 people ask. That store opens at 10am, when I'm at work. So I'm not getting one there. I'll try to see if Walmart has any still at lunch.

kaioshade

With all due respect for anyone who likes video games, but gamers are THE worst at boycotting. A vast majority couldn't do it if their lives depended on it. Gonna need a plan B here.

I am happy with Retroarch (and all the amazing shaders) but I (and some family members), wanted to support a company that had a large part in our childhood. Nintendo has made clear that they really dont give a shit about the people who supported and grew up with them.

I dont have time to camp out hours before a store opens up, or to frantically push f5 for a 60 second window during work hours to give a company money. Will my family boycott them? no idea. I still enjoy their products, but their constant shitting on their customer base irks the hell out of me and does really make me consider getting rid of my shit. It wont make a damned bit of difference in the long run, but thats all i can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom