• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Widge

Sounding like this will be a big hit for Nintendo.

I'm sure SNES/SFC mini is coming in 5 years.

I could really get on board with that. I have more love for the SNES than I do the NES.

Stick Secret Of Mana on there, LTTP, a Final Fantasy, Street Fighter 2, Mario World and I'm gold.

.hacked

I was going to pick one up but with the scarcity and comically short cords I'll grab one when the fad is over and the overstock is being cleared out at a vast discount (see amiibo)

23 at Toys R Us and about 50 people in line. One guy slammed his soda on the ground and screamed "Fuck!" When he found out he was 24th in line.

All set to go!

yffc.jpg

This thing is going to be a huge hit. Lots of buzz all around my city and they'll all be sold out the second stores open.

Chastten

Banned
kIFmas2l.jpg

Mailman just came. Finishing Dust: An Elysian Tail right now, then it's time to fire up this little cutie. Looks great, can't wait to try it out.

I'm envious of Europeans who could pre-order this thing. It's sold out everywhere here in Quebec I'm surprised, we aren't that crazy on video games normally.

AaronMT86

Sold out at 8AM at my local Walmart in Toronto. Didn't get one. Apparently they only had 3. Drove to my local EBGames and there's a big lineup outside as they open at 10AM. Forget it. I just don't care anymore for Nintendo's stupidity and their reasoning for this mess time after time. Sticking with my RetroPI and 8Bitdo Controller.

Raitaro

N7Vod7Ul.jpg

jIii8Pbl.jpg

damn thing is so freaking cute..
ultimate desk toy for the office imho

I love that second pic. Look at how it is being shy hiding under that monitor :)

Thinking about this system some more, I just realized that apart from a way to expand the library, it would have also been cool if Nintendo had implemented some kind of achievement / trophy system in the UI that gave you (optional) notices when you completed a level, a game, a level of difficulty, defeated a number of enemies or a boss etc. Maybe even with rewards like a gallery per game or a music player where tracks could be unlocked or something.

I think that this might have enticed people to try and play games they normally would skip based on their old memories, and/or have people play these games with specific goals in mind that might help us appreciate them more. They did design a new menu and everything so perhaps such a feature would have been possible, but alas.

Plum

Just confirmed a redelivery on Monday. Lets hope Royal Mail aren't idiots and actually deliver it this time. Real tempted to make the trek into my city centre and see if my local GAME has any, but I'm guessing that might be a bad idea.

Hobbun

Where I think it’s great Nintendo has put a lot of work on this system, making sure it looks great on the screen (none of that darkened filter crap) and of the 30 games most of them being great and classic choices.

It almost seems like half-hearted opportunity, as well. There are so many great games for the NES, hundreds of them. And being only able to play 30 of them is so limiting and feels like a tease. How I wish they did a proper re-release of the NES, where you can play all the games again. Even if you had to purchase them separately (obviously at a much reduced price).

Maybe this is a test market for a true re-release like that?

Where I think it’s great Nintendo has put a lot of work on this system, making sure it looks great on the screen (none of that darkened filter crap) and of the 30 games most of them being great and classic choices.

It almost seems like half-hearted opportunity, as well. There are so many great games for the NES, hundreds of them. And being only able to play 30 of them is so limiting and feels like a tease. How I wish they did a proper re-release of the NES, where you can play all the games again. Even if you had to purchase them separately (obviously at a much reduced price).

I guess the licencing was a pain in the arse. Now that this has been a success, I would love to a NES mini Max with maybe a few hundred games on there. You're never going to get all of them on there though.

AniHawk

i think an expanded option would be the true continuation of the virtual console.

buy the system for $70, and it has 30 games on it. you can also download games to a 2gb onboard storage. if you have a nintendo account, you can also play those games on switch.

and then do this for snes, n64, and game boy.

Cheech

They know exactly what they're doing.

I think it's too early to tell yet. The problem is this isn't exactly a console with legs for years. Who is going to want this thing after Christmas? IMO, they had lightning in a bottle here, and they blew it.

Hero

They know exactly what they're doing.

Definitely this. My Target was prepared with paper slips and they had them all in a shopping cart at customer service. They probably gave retailers a heads up on this being a high demand item much like the amiibo were.

If I had to guess they probably did a supply constrained launch to get people talking about it to their friends and social media and its the hot sold out item right now to pump up demand and then (hopefully) have a gigantic restock right before Black Friday.

Aeana

I think it's too early to tell yet. The problem is this isn't exactly a console with legs for years. Who is going to want this thing after Christmas? IMO, they had lightning in a bottle here, and they blew it.
They're going to keep making it available and it'll generate buzz every time. Especially with black Friday coming up.

In the end, I don't expect it's going to stay constrained.

kaioshade

Definitely this. My Target was prepared with paper slips and they had them all in a shopping cart at customer service. They probably gave retailers a heads up on this being a high demand item much like the amiibo were.

If I had to guess they probably did a supply constrained launch to get people talking about it to their friends and social media and its the hot sold out item right now to pump up demand and then (hopefully) have a gigantic restock right before Black Friday.

Screw that. Nintendo needs to cut this shit out. They want people talking? Good now people can talk about how moronic they are for not shipping enough units so people dont have to camp out like savages to give them money.

Hero

Screw that. Nintendo needs to cut this shit out. They want people talking? Good now people can talk about how moronic they are for not shipping enough units so people dont have to camp out like savages to give them money.

Why cut it out when it clearly works for them?

Plum

You're taking about demand.

I'm talking about execution to meet that demand.

Enjoy the lost money going to eBay resellers I guess, Nintendo.

You're really overestimating the impact of Scalpers. They didn't harm the Wii, they didn't harm Amiibos and they won't harm this.

Even in the very unlikely event this doesn't get a new, larger shipment closer to Christmas do you really think Nintendo intentionally put out a relatively small shipment out of stupidity?

clem84

Gold Member
I'm sorry for beating a dead horse but I have to.

Nintendo, you could have made an absolute KILLING by, on top of selling the system as is with 30 preinstalled games, designing this thing with some kind of cartridge slot and selling additional games on cartridges. 4-5 games on each collection. Make the cartridges cute looking, similar to the NES ones, just smaller. Nice cardboard boxes. 20$ each.

If you're going to bank on nostalgia, how about going all in.

LiK

Pretty tired of NOA under delivering hardware at launch. I'm sure they'll make more later but day one peeps are outta luck. At least my Famicom Mini shipped from Amazon Japan.

Retrobox

So amazon Mexico it's selling it for 2,000 pesos which is like 100 usa dollars lol.

I remember reading the post of another Mexibro complaining about the ludicrous price as well. Sorry you guys are getting shafted.
Does this always happen to you guys with gaming products or just specific ones?

Gaspard

I'm sorry for beating a dead horse but I have to.

Nintendo, you could have made an absolute KILLING by, on top of selling the system as is with 30 preinstalled games, designing this thing with some kind of cartridge slot and selling additional games on cartridges. 4-5 games on each collection. Make the cartridges cute looking, similar to the NES ones, just smaller. Nice cardboard boxes. 20$ each.

If you're going to bank on nostalgia, how about going all in.

Mini 3DS-sized cartridges would be great.

SuperSah

Banned
So I contacted Amazon since nothing has happened.

Apparently it's being sourced internationally. Idk wtf this means.

According to them, it will be shipped internationally and somehow make it here today.

I'm fed up. I had this thing ordered from July. I should of had it. Fuck Amazon and also double fuck Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom