• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiktaalik

With the price point as low as it is it's an instant buy, but you know, I'd actually pay double for a similar device that was a also an updatable NES Virtual Console machine that would be strongly supported and would eventually cover a very high percentage of NES releases.

Jb

This is a really neat idea. I never owned a NES so I'd love to play some of its games on a TV with a NES controller, and not emulated on 3DS/PC.

Eradicate

I want a Master System version of this - filled with classic Master System games that I never played because I had an NES as a kid. I know I could just emulate, but this is a great collection of a lot of the true classics for NES, a good introduction to what people love about the old NES, and I would love to get the Sega version of that experience (that wasn't just another played-out Genesis collection).

That would be awesome! I never got to own one either and some of the games seem great!

I want a Master System version of this - filled with classic Master System games that I never played because I had an NES as a kid. I know I could just emulate, but this is a great collection of a lot of the true classics for NES, a good introduction to what people love about the old NES, and I would love to get the Sega version of that experience (that wasn't just another played-out Genesis collection).

Oooohh, I'd love that too. Sadly, I'm sure Sega has considered it before but balked at the idea since the console just was never very popular in North America. Though it would do great in Europe and South America, I'm sure.

Bollocks

Why the NES and not the SNES? The graphics are really really bad and the original NES players are turning 40. The SNES games are much more aesthetically pleasing and are gaming classics.

clem84

Gold Member
The list of games is really strong! Amazed that they managed to get all those games. Don't they have to pay royalties for all of them?

It doesn't look like it but I just have to ask. This won't support the eshop will it? If not, then this is a missed opportunity. Downloading extra NES games would have been amazing. Plenty of people would have collected every one of them to turn this thing into the ultimate NES. Perhaps an updated model further down the road?

I feel that the technology we have today is amazing in a lot of ways, but I feel that players would be even more amazed at the instant reaction time of the controls of these old systems on a CRT TV. There's nothing like instant response time, zero input lag.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm stunned this thread has over 1200 responses so soon. I thought it would die off quickly.

ZeroX03

Banned
Why the NES and not the SNES? The graphics are really really bad and the original NES players are turning 40. The SNES games are much more aesthetically pleasing and are gaming classics.

Because while the SNES has gaming classics, the NES has the gaming classics.

Phoenixus

Just for shits and giggles I'll be using one of these with it.
2129593-snesclassiccontroller1.jpg

It's going to be one of those things that people will be excited to buy, especially at a cheap $60 price-point, then they'll plug it in and start up a game and 10mins later will switch to another. 10mins after that switch to another. 5mins after that switch to another. Then turn the thing off and never turn it on again until a friend/relative comes over. Then go through the cycle of switching games without really playing them and turning it off forever.

It's surprising how Nintendo has gotten such a huge following. Let's be honest here. Every game you're wishing for from Nintendo as a whole are new installments to existing franchises they created over 20 years ago. Where's the new stuff from such an "innovative" company? Now everyone is orgasming over Nintendo releasing a console they made 30 years ago. I don't get it.
They release new ips all the time but people still fall back to this. I don't get it. Hell, one of the biggest games of last year was a new Nintendo IP.

kirby_fox

Banned

I played the original and I'm 28...

Given, I'm not interested in this since I have all the games one way or another I see the appeal and I get why they're doing it. Perfect timing with everyone thinking Nintendo on their phones, so it'll do real well.

NES games (like SNES) are moving up in price even though they sold better back in the day. Like $20 each for SMB2&3. Mike Tyson's version of Punch-Out!! Is like $25 now. $60 to get a version of those plus dozens more and with HDMI support? It's a no-brainer for people looking to revisit retro games.

And as for why not SNES, you gotta start somewhere!

Poor Sega. They released a Mega Drive version of this years ago that came with two controllers, more games and cartridge support for less money and nobody cared. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sega-Genesis-Atgames-Classic-Console/dp/B00K2CXNPU/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1468509651&sr=1-1&keywords=sega+megadrive

Still, I'm sold on this. Will probably pick one up before christmas if I can.

Is it confirmed theres no way to add additional games?

I dunno about nobody. Those things sold extremely well. The Atari ones, too.

NolbertoS

Will buy just for nostalgia. I've beaten most of those games, but want Star Tropics 2 there too :(. Bring back a new Star Tropics Nintendo

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

And you're actually saying SNES games are gaming classics but NES games aren't?

What is wrong with you?

aBarreras

who the fuck will be playing this for the fucking graphics, c-mon now!

i expect it to launch around 100 dollars here on mexico

Havok1313

To be honest considering how much I actually use my Wii U, I'm more likely to buy this than the NX. I still have my SNES and lots of games but I'd hope for them to do SNES classic also.

galvatron

Great move on their part! That's gonna be a popular gift idea this year.

I still have my doubts about the quality of emulation, input lag, and the ability to expand the rom set that tends to be issues with these types of systems. Also, pretty odd looking controller port...wonder why it's not just USB. Wii Classic Controller support?

Pinky

Banned
Does anyone know if more NES games can be added or purchased later for it? Or is this essentially a collectors item, and that's it?

I don't think anything is confirmed or known at this point. If this sucker comes with wifi capability, storage and the ability to download additional NES games, this will be the greatest thing ever!

I don't think anything is confirmed or known at this point. If this sucker comes with wifi capability, storage and the ability to download additional NES games, this will be the greatest thing ever!

It's $60. Settle down.

People always complai...

Sure. But first time I've heard a company shouldn't release something because of the age of some people that played those games originally. Like, what?

dacuk

VC games have always been horribly overpriced, though. This is much less overpriced, but still overpriced.

Good luck getting the licenses for the games, producing and manufacturing the hardware for the console (as minimum as it is) and the controller, and getting the finished product to the distribution channels for $40.

Poor Sega. They released a Mega Drive version of this years ago that came with two controllers, more games and cartridge support for less money and nobody cared. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sega-Genesis-Atgames-Classic-Console/dp/B00K2CXNPU/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1468509651&sr=1-1&keywords=sega+megadrive

Still, I'm sold on this. Will probably pick one up before christmas if I can.

Is it confirmed theres no way to add additional games?

They've been making a new version of this unit every year. The most recent two versions have Mortal Kombat 1-3 on them too.

The difference is that Nintendo never undersells their old games ($5 each minimum), but Sega has been selling them for pennies a game for years. Anyone remember Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection? And look at all the dirt-cheap Steam bundles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom