• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckl3s

Wouldn't have been worth it paying to licence Mike

People like me (in my 30s) remember Mike being the original punch-out. If they licensed him for this, it would blow a lot of peoples minds and probably increase sales. Come on Nintendo...do it! He got his life back together!

Ugh....damn it.

Nintendo just took my money out of nowhere.

The list would be perfect if they removed Castlevania II and gave us 3 instead.

Also, the ability to use a cartridge( or game pak) Retron style would have been nice.

This is NX.

RoKKeR

I've never played any of these games, but this is looking like an amazing Christmas present idea. I need a gaming history lesson or two.

Opa-Pa

Holy shit even if it has Nintendo shitty NES emulation, I'm too excited to care now. And the fact that it sounds like it's part of a "Nintendo Classic Mini" line probably means SNESA is on the way, my god.

INTO MY VEINS.

gabbo

So maybe I missed it, but it's only going to have those thirty games right? Can't end up downloading more to it through an online store at some point?
Still, think that may go on the Christmas list

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This is really cool.

I still have my NES from '89, and it's in functioning order, but I will buy this in a heartbeat. That list of built in games is impressive as hell.

AaronMT86

I am also concerned about them producing enough units. They have shown in the past a kind of ignorance about how popular classic or retro products can be.

People at work who hate videogames were talking about this thing today and wanting to buy it at Christmas. It has real potential.

This is hitting eBay for hundreds of dollars on day one, no doubt.

This is a great idea and it includes a good collection of games.

Price is reasonable. This thing is going to sell like crazy.

There is no reason anyone should complain.

Does the lack of Castlevania III confirm this is going to be a shitty system-on-a-chip system with HDMI?

Doubt it because no other system on a chip has HDMI out and the last several years' worth of the best selling NOACs play Castlevania III.

This is probably running on the core processors of a Wii with the HDMI out trappings from the Wii U with a simplified UI.

Z9x7926.png

...aw.

Ryde3

I wish that the controllers were just USB or something.

This is basically just a pretty emulator, but the added functionality is cool. Probably will buy at 60$, would buy a SNES model no hesitation.

People like me (in my 30s) remember Mike being the original punch-out. If they licensed him for this, it would blow a lot of peoples minds and probably increase sales. Come on Nintendo...do it! He got his life back together!

You have a point but punch out is effectively just a tiny part of this package and Mike would probably want a big chunk of cash plus then there's the potential controversy from his past history so it probably wasnt worth the hassle and expense for Nintendo

Haines

Banned
So many of these will sell as an Xmas gift.

I will buy one BC I'm a Nintendo nut but part of me hates that im buying some of these BC games again.

Hopefully with this outa the way we get our NX announcement soon.

Tiktaalik

Does the lack of Castlevania III confirm this is going to be a shitty system-on-a-chip system with HDMI?

Ha that was my first thought as well.

Who is going to buy this? That's not a "no one is going to buy this" snark in disguise, it's a question.

Nostalgic Nintendo fans. Nostaglic Nintendo parents for their kids. That is it. Kids aren't going to ask for it. Teens aren't going to ask for it or buy it. Young adults aren't going to buy it. None of these people give two flips about classic NES games. It's all about Minecraft, League of Legends, current generation games, and mobile games. I work with children. Not a single one will care about this.

This is squarely marketed at nostalgic Nintendo fans. And that's fine. This seems really cool. But let's not kid ourselves.

I agree. For us that grew up with the NES this is very cool, and with an impulse buy price tag, I'm sure tons will buy it, but this feels like a desperation move coming out of the fact that they have absolutely nothing for christmas. This doesn't expand their base at all. I mean I could be wrong of course, but i'd be utterly shocked to see TV reports about this being the hottest kids toy of Christmas.

I want a Master System version of this - filled with classic Master System games that I never played because I had an NES as a kid. I know I could just emulate, but this is a great collection of a lot of the true classics for NES, a good introduction to what people love about the old NES, and I would love to get the Sega version of that experience (that wasn't just another played-out Genesis collection).

firelogic

It's going to be one of those things that people will be excited to buy, especially at a cheap $60 price-point, then they'll plug it in and start up a game and 10mins later will switch to another. 10mins after that switch to another. 5mins after that switch to another. Then turn the thing off and never turn it on again until a friend/relative comes over. Then go through the cycle of switching games without really playing them and turning it off forever.

It's surprising how Nintendo has gotten such a huge following. Let's be honest here. Every game you're wishing for from Nintendo as a whole are new installments to existing franchises they created over 20 years ago. Where's the new stuff from such an "innovative" company? Now everyone is orgasming over Nintendo releasing a console they made 30 years ago. I don't get it.

I'm sure Nintendo considered allowing the system to use physical games but decided few consumers would benefit from the feature. I still wonder if there'll be any Internet connectivity for an eshop program.

Wow, this came out of nowhere. As people have been saying, the big surprise here is the very healthy selection of third party titles.I haven't been much for retro gaming (mostly not enough time), but I really want to pick this up!

Seems like a steal, I'll bite.

Glad the game selection is pretty good, I would have sooner expected them to load this with shit like Urban Champion.

Corey31

Doubt it because no other system on a chip has HDMI out and the last several years' worth of the best selling NOACs play Castlevania III.

This is probably running on the core processors of a Wii with the HDMI out trappings from the Wii U with a simplified UI.

As others have suggested in the thread, this likely has no real NES guts in it at all. Probably just slightly modified Wii and/or 2DS guts running a modified firmware and the NES emulator Nintendo has already made for those respective platforms.

Eradicate

Who is going to buy this? That's not a "no one is going to buy this" snark in disguise, it's a question.

Nostalgic Nintendo fans. Nostaglic Nintendo parents for their kids. That is it. Kids aren't going to ask for it. Teens aren't going to ask for it or buy it. Young adults aren't going to buy it. None of these people give two flips about classic NES games. It's all about Minecraft, League of Legends, current generation games, and mobile games. I work with children. Not a single one will care about this.

This is squarely marketed at nostalgic Nintendo fans. And that's fine. This seems really cool. But let's not kid ourselves.

Well, I'm not kidding myself, so just see this:

There's no way this is a product for Nintendo's existing "core" audience that already has a 3DS or a Wii U. This goes along with Pokemon Company-esque spreading of IP awareness, pushing to get the brand out there with iconic materials everyone has heard of in mainstream culture.

It's a "real" Nintendo console that plays all the solid introductions to traditional video gaming; perhaps more importantly, divorced of the Wii branding entirely by not being virtual console releases. It is cheap enough to be an impulse buy for christmas.

Nintendo is on a roll right now and they're going to leverage it however they can. It's been stated multiple times for over a year now how they are going to push their IPs all over the place. This is part of that.

With Nintendo's IP going around everywhere, the name recognition alone will prompt lots of people to look into and possibly want one of these. I mean, you're thinking no one wants one, and clearly there are tons of people here that are committed to it already. Do you know the age range of everyone here? There are already some here who said they've missed out on this generation of gaming and want to check it out. That's not being a "nostalgic Nintendo fan" but a gaming fan interested in this system and its games. There are also young adults (and older) on here interested, who you said wouldn't buy it. Not everyone owned one, much less a current Nintendo system to play these as VC either. It has a lot of appeal.

ZeroX03

Banned
Top notch selection of games, good price. I'll buy one and a second controller, will import from the US if Europe gets stuck with 50Hz.

First reaction: This is awesome.

Second reaction: This is a great gift for my nephew.

Third reaction: What a great idea. What a great list of games. What a good price.

Fourth reaction: Will this be expandable in any way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom