• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkarafo

The tiny shell is awesome but i would replace it's insides with a raspberry Pi or something and add my whole NES Hyperspin/RetroArch portion there. That would be the ultimate NES device.

ZeroX03

Banned
meh they havent aged well. The SNES games are a lot better.

That has nothing to do with this product.

Of course Nintendo is going to start with the product where their console gaming began and the start of some of gaming's most iconic series. They're not going to jump straight to SNES because you prefer it. I prefer SNES too, but it would be a stupid move.

Great move on their part! That's gonna be a popular gift idea this year.

I still have my doubts about the quality of emulation, input lag, and the ability to expand the rom set that tends to be issues with these types of systems. Also, pretty odd looking controller port...wonder why it's not just USB.

Its wii remote port, probably so they can sell the controllers to wii and wii u owners too

meh they havent aged well. The SNES games are a lot better.

I disagree! I'm staring at a shelf containing nearly 200 SNES games, all of the great classics, and yet I still get more game out of my original grey NES console. I'm always playing it. So many quick, pick up and play, challenging titles.

Jb

Poor Sega. They released a Mega Drive version of this years ago that came with two controllers, more games and cartridge support for less money and nobody cared. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sega-Genesis-Atgames-Classic-Console/dp/B00K2CXNPU/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1468509651&sr=1-1&keywords=sega+megadrive

Still, I'm sold on this. Will probably pick one up before christmas if I can.

Is it confirmed theres no way to add additional games?

Oooh never knew about this. I might grab it even though I played most of these games on the PSP collection.

Ellite25

I'm going to buy this and relive my childhood. Such a cool idea. I get the sense they're going to be hard to find if you can't get a preorder in the moment they go up.

M-PG71C

I just want to know when the hell are they going to release Final Fantasy and Bubble Bobble on the Wii U VC since this thing is coming.

It's pretty awesome but I already nearly own all those games in VC/OG form. I can definitely see who would want in on this device though, especially with that library.

StereoVsn

Poor Sega. They released a Mega Drive version of this years ago that came with two controllers, more games and cartridge support for less money and nobody cared. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sega-Genesis-Atgames-Classic-Console/dp/B00K2CXNPU/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1468509651&sr=1-1&keywords=sega+megadrive

Except that was not Sega building it but cheap knockoff without HDMI or Component cables and with crappy mono stereo. List of games was also lacking.

I asked this a few pages back but didn't get an answer - does this Sega console use HDMI or only composite? HDMI is a massive difference with this new Nintendo device. Most of these retro micro consoles released over the last few years have composite out, in which case, why bother?

EDIT: Looks like I have my answer in the post above. Composite outputs put any micro console like this right into the trash can. Even if the emulation is perfect (which it's usually not).

Didn't this have sound issues among other problems and generally not recommended at all?

Somnia

I wish there was a way for them to sell additional game packs later on, like 30 additional games, etc.

I doubt they are planning that though.

Eradicate

It's $60. Settle down.

Well, not that it's in this, but it wouldn't take anything to put in like a 1 GB drive of some sort (just an SD card or something) that could hold essentially near the entire NES library. And WiFi chips aren't that incredibly expensive. Then, you'd just let it load up the one site in its OS to download them.

It's definitely possible and feasible in something like this, though again, I don't think they did!

The fuck is your deal?

Don't worry about him, its not outrageous for a $60 device to have cheap Wifi capability. If we're using Wii U's Virtual Console then files range from 30mb-50mb I believe. If we're using the Wii's then it's considerably smaller. I imagine we'll get Wii U virtual console files which come with player guides.

A restricted eShop really would be magnificent but don't get your hopes up.

This is coming from Nintendo themselves?!
And it uses Wii controller ports, too, so I cann most probably use my Wii Classic Controller with it.

60 bucks is a phenomenal price tag for 30 games! I will definitely buy one!

Why let third-party mall kiosks get all the fun?

lmao.

It came with 50 supposedly different versions of bootleg Mario, bootleg Contra, bootleg Zelda. I was tempted to buy one of those back in the day but decided against it. Glad Nintendo is releasing the real deal.

a916

Damn, will pick one up but slightly disappointed they didn't go this route.

StereoVsn

Don't worry about him, its not outrageous for a $60 device to have cheap Wifi capability. If we're using Wii U's Virtual Console then files range from 30mb-50mb I believe. If we're using the Wii's then it's considerably smaller. I imagine we'll get Wii U virtual console files which come with player guides.

A restricted eShop really would be magnificent but don't get your hopes up.
Except VC games are overpriced and Nintendo does not have unified system for them.

This is coming from Nintendo themselves?!
And it uses Wii controller ports, too, so I cann most probably use my Wii Classic Controller with it.

60 bucks is a phenomenal price tag for 30 games! I will definitely buy one!

I think I would pay $60 for an NES classic controller anyway, a cute console and 30 bundled games is just perfect.

ghibli99

I like it. Real controller, HDMI, save states, and you can use the controllers for Wii/Wii U VC. I'm in, even if I realistically won't play it a ton. Gotta have that mini-NES on my shelf. :)

oti

Banned
This is huge. Should have been at E3. Very interested to see how this turns out. Will absolutely pick this up.

At E3? That would've been a terrible idea. "Nintendo dwelling in the past while competition looks ahead" articles basically write themselves at that point. This is a perfect announcement. Out of the blue while the Pokémon GO momentum is at full speed.

Except VC games are overpriced and Nintendo does not have unified system for them.

I don't agree at all with Virtual Console games being overpriced and if anything the late addition of Turbografx games hints that the Wii U's Virtual Console will carry over to the NX.

And it actually accepted old game cartridges. That is definitely a better deal.

The sound is truly awful though. I mean, music on the Genesis already sounded like a symphony of farts...the microconsoles they've been releasing sound like a symphony of robot farts.

At E3? That would've been a terrible idea. "Nintendo dwelling in the past while competition looks ahead" articles basically write themselves at that point. This is a perfect announcement. Out of the blue while the Pokémon GO momentum is at full speed.

Yeah. Something like this would have been better served being announced at the New York Toy Fair, or some venue like that.

Why the NES and not the SNES? The graphics are really really bad and the original NES players are turning 40. The SNES games are much more aesthetically pleasing and are gaming classics.

I'm 27 and grew up with an NES. The graphics on a lot if the games still look totally fine, and the gameplay on many of these holds up as tight and fun.

Sorcerer

And it actually accepted old game cartridges. That is definitely a better deal.

As far as I know none of those Mega Drive clones used Hdmi. Second they never have the Phantasy Stars on them because they don't have any way to save or use save states.

Sega or whoever does these clones need to up their game slightly.

Yup. If they'd announced this at E3, every snarky pundit would have had a field day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom