• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinky

Banned
Well, not that it's in this, but it wouldn't take anything to put in like a 1 GB drive of some sort (just an SD card or something) that could hold essentially near the entire NES library. And WiFi chips aren't that incredibly expensive. Then, you'd just let it load up the one site in its OS to download them.

It's definitely possible and feasible in something like this, though again, I don't think they did!

Don't worry about him, its not outrageous for a $60 device to have cheap Wifi capability. If we're using Wii U's Virtual Console then files range from 30mb-50mb I believe. If we're using the Wii's then it's considerably smaller. I imagine we'll get Wii U virtual console files which come with player guides.

A restricted eShop really would be magnificent but don't get your hopes up.

Thank you. Exactly what I was thinking. You could easily cram every single NES game ever made onto a very cheap and very small internal storage device. Along with wifi, I don't see why this couldn't work within the price they're asking. I think it's very possible. Whether it's there or not, I'll be there Day 1 regardless.

entremet

Wow it's tiny!

nes-classic.jpg

Nairume

Banned
Poor Sega. They released a Mega Drive version of this years ago that came with two controllers, more games and cartridge support for less money and nobody cared. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sega-Genesis-Atgames-Classic-Console/dp/B00K2CXNPU/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1468509651&sr=1-1&keywords=sega+megadrive
It's not that good of a product. It having more games comes at the cost of it having a lot of crap on it (half of the games aren't even actual Genesis games, and some of the genesis games that are actually on there are garbage like Altered Beast) and the cartridge support is actually super spotty with little way to actually tell whether or not the console will actually play the cart. The controllers are also very unreliable due to being ir wireless.

I like it. Real controller, HDMI, save states, and you can use the controllers for Wii/Wii U VC. I'm in, even if I realistically won't play it a ton. Gotta have that mini-NES on my shelf. :)

I have a feeling every hip new startup company is going to have one of these in their break room for their employees.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Cool idea, but once again Nintendo is catering to their audience instead of broadening it.

I disagree. Though many in here are excited and will buy one, the real target for this is moms/other relatives who usually maybe don't know what to get their young adult kids. Only some fraction of posters in this thread are going to go out and buy one, but I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of posters in this thread will end up owning one come Christmas time whether they're excited for it or not. That's Nintendo's play here, in my opinion.

In other words, you may be posting in this thread that you don't care, but your mom or some other relative is probably already planning to get it for you.

Game Guru

Poor Sega. They released a Mega Drive version of this years ago that came with two controllers, more games and cartridge support for less money and nobody cared. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sega-Genesis-Atgames-Classic-Console/dp/B00K2CXNPU/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1468509651&sr=1-1&keywords=sega+megadrive

Still, I'm sold on this. Will probably pick one up before christmas if I can.

Is it confirmed theres no way to add additional games?

First, that thing is from AtGames and the sound quality for it was abysmal. Second, you could not save a game on it even if you were playing with your own cartridge. Third, it uses composite input rather than HDMI. Fourth, people in the retro gaming community were excited for it until they saw how crap it was. And fifth, Nintendo seems to have gone full retro for this NES Classic Mini since it even has a NES-Accurate box.

The real question though...is this going to have the same garbage ass IQ that Wii U virtual console has? Or will it look decent?

Also what about new games, are you stuck with this 30? I feel like you're prob better off going with an AV HDMI NES rather than this. Cool idea though I guess.

Platy

Mega Drive ?

Tectoy (the "brazilian sega") has like 3 diferent versions of Master System with games on memory ... including one with more than 130 games

Every review I read of that said it had terrible sound issues, not to mention that it just uses composite video. If Sega went all out and made one with HDMI output, proper sound output, a cartridge slot, and (I know I'm dreaming here) compatability with the 32X and Sega CD, then I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Didn't this have sound issues among other problems and generally not recommended at all?

Yeah the wireless controllers are IR and can't both be used at the same time IIRC (one being used will override the other).

Many of the units could not write save progress to even carts wth battery backup. There's a reason why they don't include onboard games that would need to save.

They also have very poor sound emulation vs the old hardware.

It also doesn't work with the Master System adapter, or 32X, or Sega CD, or any other retro novelty.

The best thing about this:

It does NOT come with Xevious!
I really feared they'd put Xevious on it.
Nobody wants Xevious and its annoying, ear bleeding "soundtrack".

Hate to be a party pooper but will we be getting dimmed and blurry games like on the VC?

I imagine we're getting Wii U VC files which come with manuals but as shown in some homebrew threads there's actually an option to correct the picture on Wii U (which is crazy). We should get a perfected image qualtiy if the whole point of this device is to play NES games.

This is pretty useless if there's no way to add new games. Not that it isn't a decent list of games to begin with, but if I were going to buy something like this it would have to have some means of expanding the library so that I could eventually have all the games I want on it.

But, since they're going this far maybe they're one step closer to my idea for reviving the GameBoy brand. Just release a handheld that plays VC games exclusively with an HDMI out option. It would be gaming's answer to the iPod. Who doesn't want that? I ask you?

TunaLover

That's $2 for each game (without even hardware!!!), I wonder how they will justify $5 for a NES VC game on Wii U, or future VC on NX.

KingBroly

Banned
I imagine we're getting Wii U VC files which come with manuals but as shown in some homebrew threads there's actually an option to correct the picture on Wii U (which is crazy). We should get a perfected image qualtiy if the whole point of this device is to play NES games.

NES games on Wii U don't have the manuals. GBA and N64 only. Well, DS might. I don't have one to check.

So it's got a wired controller? That's gonna cause some issues. I game pretty far from my tv, unlike the old nes days of sitting 2 feet away. Any word on a wireless option?

Would be nice to add an expansion pack or like NES Volume 2.

Also, would be nice if this played NES, SNES, and Gameboy games though if this is successful I could see SNES and Gameboy next year.

I'm definitely liking how Nintendo's new approach of broadening their offerings. Can't wait for more details on FE and AC mobile offerings and potential movie/TV deals.

G0523

How will this work with Classic Controllers? The cords are way too short to sit comfortably far from an HDTV. Unless this is meant to be played on small HDTVs? Or the console will have a long power cord so that you can move it closer to you (like the good old days)?

This is pretty useless if there's no way to add new games. Not that it isn't a decent list of games to begin with, but if I were going to buy something like this it would have to have some means of expanding the library so that I could eventually have all the games I want on it.

But, since they're going this far maybe they're one step closer to my idea for reviving the GameBoy brand. Just release a handheld that plays VC games exclusively with an HDMI out option. It would be gaming's answer to the iPod. Who doesn't want that? I ask you?

It may be useless to you but this will be plenty "good enough" for thousands upon thousands of people. Hopefully they will do a Model 2 down the line with either more/different games or expandability.

How will this work with Classic Controllers? The cords are way too short to sit comfortably far from an HDTV. Unless this is meant to be played on small HDTVs? Or the console will have a long power cord so that you can move it closer to you (like the good old days)?

you can plug it into a wii remote I think

That's $2 for each game (without even hardware!!!), I wonder how they will justify $5 for a NES VC game on Wii U, or future VC on NX.

Because this a novelty toy that is a good stocking stuffer. It will end up in most people's closets after a couple months. Virtual console games stay on consoles and handhelds that are used for years and most people will pay a premium to have their back catalogue along with them while playing new titles.

I feel that the technology we have today is amazing in a lot of ways, but I feel that players would be even more amazed at the instant reaction time of the controls of these old systems on a CRT TV. There's nothing like instant response time, zero input lag.

I hadn't played my old systems on a CRT in probably 10-15 years until I picked up PVM and set everything up for RGB recently. After playing on a "modern" setup for so long I think the responsive controls blew me away more than the image quality.

UncleMeat

No original Contra is a gut punch. I guess I'm going to have to just finally break down and buy the cartridge for $40 on ebay while I still can. I may still get one but I'm not hyped like I would be; there has to be something weird going on with Contra.

Oh god what if they release a Gameboy Classic handheld, oh shit oh shit oh shit. With Super Gameboy color palette support. Just an ultra sleek, smartphone size, thin original brick Gameboy. I'm hyperventilating.

Rival

Gold Member
I better be able to get my hands on one of these. Seems like a perfect item for scalpers to buy a bunch and Nintendo to limit the supply.

dmr87

Need to know more about the tech and emulation before I'm 100% sold, could be terrible. Hopefully it's amazing and we get more consoles in the future.

Chaotix

Looks interesting

I'm curious on when is this beautiful peace of gaming history going to be available for pre-order?

TunaLover

More features? Miiverse, customizable controls (Which aren't a part of this), uh...can play on any NX device maybe.
The only features I can think of are off TV play and Miiverse, since you can play with the original controller on this new thing, no need to tweak buttons.

Makes sense. Many of us played these games in the 80s, now we are adults and we want to play them again or share them with our children.

Sort of like how many want RPGs that feel like Baldurs gate.

Oh god what if they release a Gameboy Classic handheld, oh shit oh shit oh shit. With Super Gameboy color palette support. Just an ultra sleek, smartphone size, thin original brick Gameboy. I'm hyperventilating.

Original Game Boy that's 100% identical to the original with sharper screen and back light and 30 built-in games. Yes, please.

Yes, I'm aware you can perform this mod yourself easily and get an everdrive for it, but it would still be neat!

Ansatz

My first console was an NES and I'm only 28.

I'm 26, I beat SMB before I could say mama!

My brother had an NES he didn't play with games like Kid Icarus, Castlevania, SMB 1, Mega Man 3, Excitebike, Ice Climber & more. The best part was experiencing the transition from early/mid gen games to SMB 3 which was bought specifically for me, it felt like a generational leap and blew my little mind to pieces.

wvnative

I've been saying for years that console manufacturers should do something like this, re-release their legacy systems with modern day enhancments like compatibility with modern controllers and HDMI ports.

Unfortunately, my idea has been to relaunch them with their original physical games compatible, so this isn't exactly what I've had in mind, but it's still really cool and perhaps if successful Sony and Microsoft will follow suit with better products that follow the same concept. Also perhaps Nintendo can pull off a better version later down the road with an SNES re-launch.

Not gonna buy this cause A: I'm more of a 16 bit and up type guy, and B: there are MUCH better ways to play NES classics.

Eradicate

I am 31 bro.

Hear, hear!

Just for shits and giggles I'll be using one of these with it.
2129593-snesclassiccontroller1.jpg

Totally awesome! Maybe they'll let you use X and Y as turbo buttons?

Thank you. Exactly what I was thinking. You could easily cram every single NES game ever made onto a very cheap and very small internal storage device. Along with wifi, I don't see why this couldn't work within the price they're asking. I think it's very possible. Whether it's there or not, I'll be there Day 1 regardless.

Yeah, I really don't think these game files are that large at all. If they include high quality manual scans and things along with them or something, that'd up the space, but a solution could be to keep it online and you'd bring it up in the OS browser or something instead!

It is just a really cool deal anyway you slice it to me! The build quality will be great and it's an awesome list of games!

Wow it's tiny!

nes-classic.jpg

It is pretty small!

That would be pretty cool!

It may be useless to you but this will be plenty "good enough" for thousands upon thousands of people. Hopefully they will do a Model 2 down the line with either more/different games or expandability.

Model 2 with the next set of 30 games will be shaped like the top loader!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom