• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems like a downgrade from a Wii or Wii U since it is static at 30 games. If this could take cartridges, I'd be down for one. I hope it's hackable to load more games and if so, I'm interested.

In the sense of functionality overall, sure. But unless you're going to hack open the Wii/Wii U, you're limited to their VC offerings at pricing far beyond what the per game cost is for this mini console, on top of( especially in the case of the Wii U) forking out $200 plus.

I'd like a slot for carts too, but that would drive up the cost I imagine beyond what they want to get it to market for. $60 is the cost of a new game and pretty much, for what it is, an impulse buy. The classic aesthetic alone is going to appeal to retro/Nintendo fans. The fact that you can hook it up with a modern HDMI connection is a feather in its cap too, as opposed to all the technical shenanigans one has to do to get these games looking good on newer TV tech being powered by the original hardware. This is cheap, pick up and play fun with a heaping side of nostalgia.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Can't you get Wii used from Gamestop for like $20 now? I'm sure when NX comes out used Wii U consoles won't be expensive either.

That's not the point. There are many superior ways for you and me to play NES games cheaply. This product is for people to see at the checkout line and scoop into their cart. Which is what will happen.

Can't you get Wii used from Gamestop for like $20 now? I'm sure when NX comes out used Wii U consoles won't be expensive either.

If you bought a Wii (or a Wii U) for $20, and you were happy using the included Wii remote rather than throwing in another $10-$20 for a better one, you'd still have to pay $5 for each game that you want on the Virtual Console.

StereoVsn

The only thing I am worried about is this being sold out everywhere per usual Nintendo style. Where are the Best Buy and Amazon pre-orders? Come on, Nintendo!

Koren

Light gun games wouldn't be playable anyway without a crt or if they included special sensors.
Famicom/NES light gun works perfectly well on any display, including modern ones.

It uses a dumber technology than SNES / PSX ones, but the result is that it doesn't rely on any display technology.

gundalf

I had some doubts because of the PICA 200 but it apparently supports an Framebuffer of 4095×4095 pixels, so plenty enough to feed an HDMI controller. So yeah, I can't wait to get it on my hands and begin some hacking with it :)

0racle

Imin for sure. it will be glorious to expose my kids to gaming this way similar to how I was exposed to them 31 years ago. Thanks Nintendo ! first product I will buy since the game cube.

Leynos

This thing is useless without a physical game slot, but it sure is cute. The price is palatable, and that box art is fantastic. I might pick one up as a curiosity, and never unbox it.

Wii doesn't have an HDMI port, and you have to download and install games from the Wii Shop yourself. Homebrew emulation is even more of a hassle.

Convenience is worth the extra cost of this NES for people who aren't techies and just want something that works out of the box. AKA the Toys R Us soccermom crowd buying games for their kids.

Exactly! Don't you have to BUY every single game from the Wii Shop?

Used Wii (no HDMI) + 30 games + the NES controller, how much would it cost?

You know what Nintendo should do?

Have a huge NX ad in every box. Alongside a $60 coupon (the price you just paid for the NES Classic) off the price of the system when it launches in 2017. And if they really want to get crazy, include a one-time code on said coupon that unlocks every NES Classic game on the NX VC for free.

Use that newfound mindshare to your advantage, Nintendo.

ekgrey

What are people expecting from a $60 box? This is a great value and a sure fire hit.

Yeah, I think some people have a hard time seeing outside of the enthusiast bubble. Hell, I have a Wii U and I'm gonna pick one of these up. It's cheaper than getting everything on VC, it'll be easy to take to friends' houses and it's an awesome way to introduce my son to some classic games. Plus, it's cute af.

And yeah, I honestly think this thing could be a million+ seller this holiday season, which is pretty amazing.

Ryck

What are people expecting from a $60 box? This is a great value and a sure fire hit.
Is it really that surprising? Hardcore forums always miss the point. Reminds me of when the iPod was announced. "I could get an mp3 player for half that price" etc etc. The armchair experts that know everything and nothing about *insert topic*.

Yeah, I think some people have a hard time seeing outside of the enthusiast bubble. Hell, I have a Wii U and I'm gonna pick one of these up. It's cheaper than getting everything on VC, it'll be easy to take to friends' houses and it's an awesome way to introduce my son to some classic games. Plus, it's cute af.

And yeah, I honestly think this thing could be a million+ seller this holiday season, which is pretty amazing.
Yeah this^^^, he said it much better.

Kevin

Blaster Master, Mega Man III (if not all of them), Earthbound Beginnings, or really a lot of the VC list that's already out for Wii U.

Blaster Master was the first game I looked for off that list. Though I really didn't think it would make the cut. One of my all time favorite 2D games.

With an HDMI port, official (wired) controllers and presumably of a much higher quality overall. (since Nintendo is making them not a 3rd party)

If you don't get that it's understandable, maybe this product is not for you. I am guessing this will be sold out all over in any case so it might be hard to track one down.

Sure, I get it.. it just isn't for me. I'd much rather play these on 3DS, or have them tied to my Nintendo Account. This just feels like another way for Nintendo to sell the same games, on an island, again.

Dear god I hope the NX figures out the eShop.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Exactly! Don't you have to BUY every single game from the Wii Shop?

Used Wii (no HDMI) + 30 games + the NES controller, how much would it cost?

GameStop has $50 for the Wii, and the 30 games on VC would be $150, so that's $200. NES controller and HDMI cable would probably be another $5, $10 each.

Jb

I wonder if people who aren't usually retro gamers will be interested in picking this up because of its low price and ease of use. It' could be a nice way to get the mass market to care about old games.

Day one... four of 'em... Merry Christmas kids

Would be cool if they add some secret games, such as Contra, Castlevania 3 and MegaMan and some achievements system but honestly this is Nintendo.

they're saving those for Nintendo Classics Mini: NES2 next Christmas... (Atari's up to the Flashback IV, aren't they?)

edit: my mistake...

91SBKxE51KL._SL1500_.jpg

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
As much as I'm sure the thing will sell like gangbusters, I can't help but think they're missing a big opportunity by making the game selection built-in and unexpandable. They could make a lot more money past those initial purchases by selling 5-10 game expansion carts at $20 a pop, and those would hardly take up real estate on retailers' shelves. They could pack them in DVD or 3DS cases and just sell them in their existing game sections, no dedicated shelf space required.

Or, y'know just put the Wii's innards in there sans the DVD drive, make it a VC box. Fully functional Wiis were profitable at $99 years ago, one of those minus the disc drive and wireless inputs could definitely be made for under this thing's asking price.

Ryck

Sure, I get it.. it just isn't for me. I'd much rather play these on 3DS, or have them tied to my Nintendo Account. This just feels like another way for Nintendo to sell the same games, on an island, again.

Dear god I hope the NX figures out the eShop.
Sounds like they are going the direction of Apple in that regard.

Hope they get it right as well.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Man this will be such a nice Christmas gift - def. getting one for my nephew.

DaveMG

Banned
I really think theyre losing out by not having mini nes cartridges and selling "volumes" of games in the future. ill still buy one anyway though.

This thing is useless without a physical game slot, but it sure is cute. The price is palatable, and that box art is fantastic. I might pick one up as a curiosity, and never unbox it.
Useless? It does exactly what it says it does. There is a 'use' in that for many people.

Savitar

Yeah I'm going to buy it and that's even though I know I was probably sick of most of those games a good two decades or whatever ago.

What can I say, nostalgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom