• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, this is neat, I guess? I don't really get it. This looks/seems like one of those cheap licensed megadrive/genesis boxes.

If this was somehow able to run actual eShop VC games, that would be noteworthy/cool. Right now, I'm just frustrated that Nintendo can't even be bothered to release some of these games on the actual 3DS eShop.

Teknoman

i thought those were done by gutting shit games no one would miss, rather than actually putting new carts into production

Repro carts are just re-purposed original games. They might have new cases and even PCBs if they're making enough to justify the cost, but the ROM chips are old stock or salvaged eproms.

Don't you have to like... sacrifice another cart to make a repro?

Yeah you've got a point about the chips themselves.

I missed the NES, so I wanna enjoy some of the greats.

Can it play your old cartridges?

Nope. Still need an actual NES or clone system for that.

Sold I'm going to buy it on DAY 1! I was not born on the NES days but I have played some of this games in the past I can't wait to play this classics again and to show the games to my subscribers on YT, the HDMI port is going to be great for capture cards

They mad me at Zelda (okay, technically that's bullshit, given the order of the alphabet, but you know what I mean).

Still, Mini-SNES would be really mindblowing. Thanks Nintendo for making me want something really, really bad right now.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
They mad me at Zelda (okay, technically that's bullshit, given the order of the alphabet, but you know what I mean).

Still, Mini-SNES would be really mindblowing. Thanks Nintendo for making me want something really, really bad right now.

It will happen, and you know it.

b3b0p

This seems like a downgrade from a Wii or Wii U since it is static at 30 games. If this could take cartridges, I'd be down for one. I hope it's hackable to load more games and if so, I'm interested.

This is awesome and the type of thing Nintendo would have never even considered releasing a few years ago. I'm really loving this new direction they're taking.

Now, if the emulation is spot-on and the image quality is better than it is on Wii U, I'll be picking a couple of these up at launch.

Oh yeah, and this thing is going to be absolutely massive this holiday in North America. Guaranteed. The ultimate nostalgia rush.

It's Nintendo. The chances of something like messed up colors or high lag is, well, pretty high.
Nah man I'm sure it'll be fine.

zlCfzTT0Zc06MTQLaS

Lol

This seems like a downgrade from a Wii or Wii U since it is static at 30 games. If this could take cartridges, I'd be down for one. I hope it's hackable to load more games and if so, I'm interested.

The upside to it over the Wii/WiiU is the price point. These games are all still $5 on VC, while they're $2 each on this. This also doesn't require you to have either of those systems.

thefro

I mean, this is neat, I guess? I don't really get it. This looks/seems like one of those cheap licensed megadrive/genesis boxes.

If this was somehow able to run actual eShop VC games, that would be noteworthy/cool. Right now, I'm just frustrated that Nintendo can't even be bothered to release some of these games on the actual 3DS eShop.

The games list is a lot better than those Megadrive/Genesis boxes.

Presumably the build quality, controller, and emulation are all better as well.

Pretty cool, looks like I might get one considering the games that come with it. I wonder how they will handle the resolutions on widescreen TVs. Any hopes we get some sort of faux interlacing? Ability to add more games? Nov 11 is too far away! =/

stuminus3

This is all over my Facebook from people who don't normally talk about video games.

Nintendo should call their next console the NES Pokemon. The Wii NES Pokemon.

Teknoman

Doesn't look like it. It's got everything I would ever consider getting on VC and then some, though.

I was young then, but I'd be hard pressed to even name too many more NES games.

I'm surprised it doesn't have Castlevania 3, but I guess they had to limit in case they release another model 2 edition. It's missing a lot of great titles, but it's got some of the basics.

The best thing about this is the controllers. The emulation is probably going to be dark garbage, but if the controllers are half as well-built as the originals, they'll be great.

ESPECIALLY if the shell and all of the other parts fit on an original controller PCB. It'll be like buying an official NES controller repair kit for $10.

Giever

This is pretty smart in terms of building renewed interest and awareness in Nintendo stuff, along with Pokemon GO, shortly before the NX reveal & release.

Ryck

With an HDMI port, official (wired) controllers and presumably of a much higher quality overall. (since Nintendo is making them not a 3rd party)

If you don't get that it's understandable, maybe this product is not for you. I am guessing this will be sold out all over in any case so it might be hard to track one down.

Hoodbury

Perfect Christmas present for my 5 year old daughter. Same age I was when I got my NES in 87. Always wanted her to start gaming on the old classics, now I don't have to worry about getting my old system to work or worry about how it'll look on a new tv.

Perfect gift Nintendo, thanks!

Celine

What's surprising is that almost half the games are composed by third-party releases which is uncommon in these kind of products.

Teknoman

I wonder if retro game stores will have a wifi/WiiU situation now, where they have to constantly explain the difference between this and the original nes to the average customer. Especially with the similar appearance.

I wonder if it'll have a cool boot screen / theme like nes remix?

Koren

Repro carts are just re-purposed original games. They might have new cases and even PCBs if they're making enough to justify the cost, but the ROM chips are old stock or salvaged eproms.
(E)EPROM, I could understand, but how would you reprogram ROMs?

As far as I know, some people reuse the PCB and sometimes a couple chips for practical reasons (it's easier), but brand new ROM / flash with the new game is soldered on the PCB.

There's people producing brand new "retro" carts for NES and SNES, it's definitively doable, and not that expensive (definitively not for a hardware maker with higher volumes).

If fact, what exactly would be difficult to find for a cart? Except carts that contains special chips, that's just ROM banks. Memory now is faster and cheaper. You could need an interface if there's different voltages, but beside this, what difficulty would you find to produce brand new carts?

Calamari41

41 > 38

It's definitely a downgrade in that regard, but the upside makes it way more appealing to the mass market. Instead of having to buy into a Wii or Wii U and then wrangle with the eshop, a random person who isn't as into gaming as we are can just take this off the shelf, slap it into their TV, and start playing. I won't be buying one since I already have these games on Wii U... but I'm probably going to end up getting one as a gift anyway. Perfect for little kids, nostalgia fiends who haven't gamed in years, moms looking for gifts, etc.

b3b0p

The upside to it over the Wii/WiiU is the price point. These games are all still $5 on VC, while they're $2 each on this. This also doesn't require you to have either of those systems.

Can't you get Wii used from Gamestop for like $20 now? I'm sure when NX comes out used Wii U consoles won't be expensive either.

ekgrey

Can't you get Wii used from Gamestop for like $20 now? I'm sure when NX comes out used Wii U consoles won't be expensive either.

I wouldn't be so sure. Fewer sold means fewer on the market, and the MSRP of the Wii U doesn't seem to be going any lower, which will also keep used prices higher than they would be. I would be very surprised to see a Wii U in good, working order (with the tablet controller) sell for <$130 in the next year or so. Shit, even $150 would be surprising.

edit: also depends on if NX includes BC. If it does, yeah, price could drop some, but I still don't see it less than $100.

Wii doesn't have an HDMI port, and you have to download and install games from the Wii Shop yourself. Homebrew emulation is even more of a hassle.

Convenience is worth the extra cost of this NES for people who aren't techies and just want something that works out of the box. AKA the Toys R Us soccermom crowd buying games for their kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom