• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Do you know how ridiculously expensive it would be to "reprint" NES game cartridges? The components haven't existed for nearly two decades. They'd have to re-engineer how to do it.

You guys are a niche market, and other companies are already making NES-compatible systems.

What about sourcing those who make repro carts already?

Wow this is so cool. Started gaming with SNES, so this is a neat way to play those oldies I never got to try. The price is awesome too, expected $100, but it's the price of one brand new game.

If they ever do a SNES one with the DKC trilogy I am so in, even though I still have my SNES around.

Do it, Nintendo.

zeldarocks

Neo Member
The way the logo is placed makes me think that this is but the first of Nintendo's future efforts with the "Nintendo Classic Mini" line.

Waiting with baited breath for the Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo 64 to come out.

Katori

damn to bad, would be great if nintendo/sega released usb versions of their classic controllers

What's the point? Hooking up a Wii Remote to a PC running Win or Mac with Bluetooth takes a few seconds, and bam: your classic-style controller is now a PC controller.

Someone will open it up and install more than 30 games. Glad this is HDMI.

I wish I could be optimistic that this can be hacked and be as good as a real NES or Famicom with an everdrive and the High-Def NES HDMI mod, but realistically the chances of that are almost zero.

You want to know what's really crazy?

The first Atari Flashback had a NES-on-a-chip inside. All the 2600 games in it had been ported to NES code by cheap contract programmers.

But because of the way Nintendo does things, I'll bet money there is no NES silicon inside this thing. It's more a question of how good the emulation platform is (hardware and software both).

I'm in for this. Hopefully they'll sell shitons so in the future we may get a Mini-SNES too.

However, I would like to see a couple of hands-on first as we don't know the quality of the emulation.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
60 bucks for 30 games on a nostalgia box? Most of which are some of the most iconic games of all times! Seems like a steal, I'm in!

I'll lose my shit if there's a Mini-SNES, or even a Mini-N64!!! I hope Mini-NES sells gangbusters and makes Nintendo considers the other two.

Even if a Mini-N64 would not be the same without Rareware games..

Edit: God damnit, haha. For a while there I thought Nintendo was insane not having the NX ready for Holiday Season and having nearly no WIi U games. Nintendo's response? "The Nostalgia Box". That about takes care of strong holiday sales, eh? Actually gives some credibility to Reggie's PR spin on a strong holiday despite all evidence to the contrary.

crim

Banned
if it just uses a shitty emulator i might as well get a raspberry pi.
Il have to wait for some reviews before deciding on this buy. :(

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm doing the math for those who still game on a real NES.

NES Classic Controller + 8bitdo Retro Receiver for NES = official wireless NES controller

Read some speculation that this might be a stripped down 3DS in a box since all of those games are on the eshop with save state support.

Hmm. I don't know. Wii U already has "Wii on a chip" silicon. I wonder what production cost is on that at this point. Silicon nerds, would "2DS on a chip" be cheaper to make?

jmizzal

Woah this is official Nintendo system, I saw this on facebook and thought it was some knock off third party thing

I might have to buy this

MrNelson

Banned
i thought those were done by gutting shit games no one would miss, rather than actually putting new carts into production

Repro carts are just re-purposed original games. They might have new cases and even PCBs if they're making enough to justify the cost, but the ROM chips are old stock or salvaged eproms.

Don't you have to like... sacrifice another cart to make a repro?

No, it's been possible to make repro carts from new parts for awhile now, boards, chips, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom