• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

b3b0p

I guess I'm not the market. This interests me none. It doesn't play cartridges and is stuck with the same 30 games for nearly $60. I don't see the appeal.

Kevin

I really think theyre losing out by not having mini nes cartridges and selling "volumes" of games in the future. ill still buy one anyway though.

This. A lot of games I like are missing. Pinball being one of them. My mom loved Pinball and I would have considered getting her one of these just for Pinball and Super Mario Bros.

It's a neat concept but I wish this had more games and abilities at least.

Hydrus

This is gonna be the gba micro of nintendo consoles. People gonna call it pointless when released, then its gonna be a super rare collectible. Just you wait and see!!

I guess I'm not the market. This interests me none. It doesn't play cartridges and is stuck with the same 30 games for nearly $60. I don't see the appeal.

I like how the phrase "30 games for 60 bucks" is just utterly nothing to you. You're entitled to not be interested in this, I just think it's funny out of context.

Amazing idea, but...

Why does Nintendo insist on pulling this type of shit?

Most HDTVs have USB ports anyways.

That's not the point. There are many superior ways for you and me to play NES games cheaply. This product is for people to see at the checkout line and scoop into their cart. Which is what will happen.

Cheaply AND legally? And with this great of a game selection? Nope. It does not exist. This is a great deal any way you look at it even if it's not the machine enthusiasts like us want it to be.

They could make a lot more money past those initial purchases by selling 5-10 game expansion carts at $20 a pop, and those would hardly take up real estate on retailers' shelves.

Dragon Warrior cart (1-4)
Adventure cart (Crystalis, Faxandu, Legacy of the Wizard, Battle of Olympus)

and so on...

Kyzer

Banned
How many times will Nintendo re-dedicate themselves to re-releasing old games for new platforms without finishing releasing them on the ones theyre already committed to? Would love for their VC to have forward compatibility and them commit to releasing every game possible for Nx

This is cool as fuck though

Calamari41

41 > 38
Cheaply AND legally? And with this great of a game selection? Nope. It does not exist. This is a great deal any way you look at it even if it's not the machine enthusiasts like us want it to be.

You're right, I was thinking of the quoted $20 price for the used Wii and not considering the $5 per game on top of it. The only downside to this thing is the fact that you can't keep buying more games for it.

I wish it would take real cartridges, i would pay allot!!!! and i mean ALLOT!!!! for a re release of the old NES and SNES, but brand new, my nes is almost dying :(

My sisters haven't played traditional video games in 10 years and they know every game in this list. I'd buy it for them just so they can play them again without using my setup.

You're right, I was thinking of the quoted $20 price for the used Wii and not considering the $5 per game on top of it. The only downside to this thing is the fact that you can't keep buying more games for it.

That's usually how the official plug and play models operate, yeah.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
This is gonna be the gba micro of nintendo consoles. People gonna call it pointless when released, then its gonna be a super rare collectible. Just you wait and see!!
Micro's rare because there was little interest in it initially. There will be plenty of interest in this thing. Especially considering it launches right during gift-giving season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it eclipse Wii U's sales numbers in short order.

You're getting an amazing looking mini NES, and $30 classic NES games, for $60. Do you not see how someone can find value in that?

Ansatz

Not sure if this has been posted but Amazon UK taking pre-orders now

- Comes packaged with an HDMI cable, a USB cable for powering the system, and one Nintendo Classic Mini: NES Controller

??

You're getting an amazing looking mini NES, and $30 classic NES games, for $60. Do you not see how someone can find value in that?

Getting a new, official Nintendo NES controller is the important thing with this and you didn't even mention it! That's the real megaton for me, I don't want to have a filthy used one. Although I am curious as to how it compares with an original NES controller, wasn't the Smash Bros. GC controller practically identical to an original GC controller?

Quonny

Yeah, I think it's going to be a great success because "everyone else" will buy it, and half of us "know-it-alls" will buy it for fun too.

I'm so confused as to why you think this.

The average consumer does not care at all about classic games. They don't care about going back and learning the history of games. They don't care about spending 2-3 hours in Punch Out when they could be on a Minecraft server with their friends or out catching Pokemon in Pokemon Go. They just don't care. Parents aren't idiots, either. If a kid is asking for an iPad for Minecraft, they're not gonna go out and get this. If a teen is asking for Call of Duty, they're old enough to know the difference between a Playstation 4 and an NES.

There is no 'everyone else' because this doesn't appeal to those people. I don't mean to act like a know-it-all but I live in a neighborhood with dozens of kids and teens and interact with them weekly either directly or through their parents, work twice a week with hundreds of kids, and they never, ever mention any games outside of the usual. This product will sell to the diehards and collectors, but this isn't for 'everyone else' because those people won't want this.

Again, I don't think this is a bad product. I like it. It's cool.

I wish it would take real cartridges, i would pay allot!!!! and i mean ALLOT!!!! for a re release of the old NES and SNES, but brand new, my nes is almost dying :(

I would love that too but I suspect it doesn't because it's an emulator box based on either 3DS or Wii guts. And those emulators would have to work just fine with every possible cart you could throw in there (they don't).

- Comes packaged with an HDMI cable, a USB cable for powering the system, and one Nintendo Classic Mini: NES Controller

??
It's USB powered, but does not come with a common USB ac adaptor, but as people have pointed out, it can be powered through your television anyhow.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

The average consumer does not care at all about classic games. They don't care about going back and learning the history of games. They don't care about spending 2-3 hours in Punch Out when they could be on a Minecraft server with their friends or out catching Pokemon in Pokemon Go. They just don't care. Parents aren't idiots, either. If a kid is asking for an iPad for Minecraft, they're not gonna go out and get this. If a teen is asking for Call of Duty, they're old enough to know the difference between a Playstation 4 and an NES.

There is no 'everyone else' because this doesn't appeal to those people. I don't mean to act like a know-it-all but I live in a neighborhood with dozens of kids and teens and interact with them weekly either directly or through their parents, work twice a week with hundreds of kids, and they never, ever mention any games outside of the usual. This product will sell to the diehards and collectors, but this isn't for 'everyone else' because those people won't want this.

Never seen the perennial Atari Flashback consoles at Urban Outfitters, I take it?

Those aren't for diehards or collectors. They're squarely for casuals.

MouldyK

Bubble Bobble is a Legit System Seller on this for me...but...

The Master System version is noted for having two hundred levels (in effect the normal and super modes consecutively) and is considered one of the best conversions available.[7]

My heart will always lie with the Master System's version.

Maybe SEGA should do this too!

Who doesn't want Cool Spot?!

cool-spot-usa.png

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wonder if they'll do a nexpansion pack if this does real well?

Or maybe a second issued one in the style of a Famicom? God, I'd kill for that.

Calamari41

41 > 38

I'm not saying that moms are going to buy this for their kids instead of a PS4. I'm saying they'll buy it as a stocking stuffer. Kids won't necessarily get hyped for this and put it on their list, but they're probably going to be getting one. It's all speculation until it happens, of course, but anecdotally I've already seen over a dozen people who I know don't play games talking about getting one either for themselves or a young relative.

KingErich

Banned
Wireless controllers, where are they? The OG NES controller while nostalgic, is horribly uncomfortable to use. We are well past the days of non-ergonomic controllers. I'd rather just use emulation. More games and a choice of good comfortable controllers.

But this is good on Nintendo. Something new yet something the same. Either way, you are still buying the same games you have already bought again.

Koren

??
A USB cable, not the AC -> USB adapter, I'd say.

I'll probably place a preorder in UK, if it doesn't appear elsewhere, although between now and the release the euro-pound change may go havok...

Teknoman

Bubble Bobble is a Legit System Seller on this for me...but...

My heart will always lie with the Master System's version.

Maybe SEGA should do this too!

Who doesn't want Cool Spot?!

cool-spot-usa.png

Sega's done it a bunch of times already, just no one paid attention :p

There is no 'everyone else' because this doesn't appeal to those people. I don't mean to act like a know-it-all but I live in a neighborhood with dozens of kids and teens, work twice a week with hundreds of kids, and they never, ever mention any games outside of the usual. This product will sell to the diehards and collectors, but this isn't for 'everyone else' because those people won't want this.

I work in a video game store for a living. There is a HUGE demand for all retro Nintendo stuff from NES to N64 and prices are only going up, up, up. And yes it's everyone looking for them. Kids, younger adults, thirty-somethings, people in their 40s... Everyone.

And kids care about NES because of YouTube. Retro things are all the rage. Game Chasers, AVGN, all that stuff has a huge following and not just among GAFfer types. Teens have started collecting NES games they never would have encountered naturally.

I think you underestimate the power of nostalgia. Pokemon Go is showing us right now that people are really interested in returning to what they grew up with. This thing is blowing up on my Facebook feed from a ton of people who aren't hardcore gamers, but that grew up with an NES and these games. The fact that it's pretty damn cheap will be a huge selling point as well.

Koren

Wireless controllers, where are they? The OG NES controller while nostalgic, is horribly uncomfortable to use. We are well past the days of non-ergonomic controllers.
I wouldn't be surprised you could use any VC controller, including the VC controller pro...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is Amazon US gonna be working with this? Did they get over their issues with Nintendo or do I need to pay Gamestop a visit?

Quonny

Hey, I can be wrong. That's fine. Maybe the people I interact with are vastly outside the norm of the rest of the world or I'm underestimating the number of parents who just drop $60 on stocking stuffers (my stocking stuffers were $2 candy and $3 toys).

Not that it really matters.

Until the SNES version. Then it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom