• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbun

Did they say if the flap for games can be opened? I wonder if they'll have a connector in there to release new game bundles via little carts that you can put in there. The game list is nice but it's missing so many good ones. The other Mega Man games (with the MM collection, I guess they probably made a deal just for that one game. But we need MM3 at least), Tetris, Contra, Tecmo Super Bowl, Ice Hockey, RC Pro Am, etc.

I'm guessing there are copyright issues but I'm sure Nintendo can work something out.

If you look closely at the picture, the 'flap' is just a facade. It doesn't open.

CnUur6JWAAET3Wx.jpg

Z..

Does it play cartridges? I can't quite understand... (If so, region free?)

If not this is a bit too expensive, considering. And the game selection is very questionable, too.

That game selection is on point. If I was going to make a list of the 30 best games on the NES, this would have around 20 of them, and all of these games they listed are pretty well known and awesome.

Sounds cool. Will probably pick one up. Going to get into retro game collecting soon. It'd probably too much to ask for this thing to take actual cartridges. I wonder if there would be an easy way to gut this thing and stick a Rasberry Pi in there.

I'm still doing double-takes at the fact it's being sold through Bed, Bath & Beyond.

But $50 for 80 built-in roms and the ability to take cartridges is solid.

That device (the mini Genesis) has 40 games, not 80. The "bonus 40" are basic homebrews that remind me a lot of the "256 in 1" carts of the era.

It's also not HDMI compatible (RCA video + mono audio out), and the controllers are... "aftermarkety", using AAA batteries. As you might expect from the publisher listed, this is not a Sega produced product, but rather a licensed one.

Hell, here's a youtube.

eXistor

If not this is a bit too expensive, considering. And the game selection is very questionable, too.
How is it too expensive?

$2,- per game and the list contains quite a few true classics. I don;t see anything questionable about it, I'm actually quite surprised it contains so many third party games. Also you get an HDMI cable (admittedly these are dirt-cheap but they could have just as easily not included one), a NES style controller and AC adapter, not to mention the cool-looking mini NES itself. How is $60 too much? If anything I was expecting the price to be a bit higher.

Ansatz

I'll wait for the SNES mini. The original NES was before my time.

If you play and enjoy retro games like Shovel Knight then this is a no-brainer. Some of the titles included are just as good in terms of playability, especially the likes of SMB 3 and Mega Man 2.

Teknoman

Aww, my NES is dying (can't even get through a game of SMB3 before it starts bugging out) and was hoping this could be an alternative. :(

Have you tried just switching out the 72pin cartridge connector? Thats usually the reason most carts glitch out. Loose connections.

PokéKong;209980980 said:
This is weird and out of line with their current philosophy. Oh so now it's totally fine to devalue retro games? Okay so let us collect games in Animal Crossing again, throw in classic games as bonus unlockables in new installments again. Just pull thr trigger already, dump every rom at their disposal onto the eShop and offer them for a few bucks or a flat subscription fee.

Devalue retro games? Not sure if you've noticed, but Virtual Console has already been doing that for years. They don't give a fuck about devaluing physical copies of games that they haven't made money off of in over 2 decades. If this lowers the price of said physical copies even more, then good for it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
This is cool. I mean, Sega beat them to the punch close to a decade ago, but still, this is cool. Hopefully they do a SNES and N64 version.

I'm still doing double-takes at the fact it's being sold through Bed, Bath & Beyond.

But $50 for 80 built-in roms and the ability to take cartridges is solid.
You can even see it at your local BB&B.

BTW don't buy this shit. It only outputs composite, video output looks worse than the original console, sounds way worse than the original console, and it has some compatibility issues due to it being a clone system inside.

Questionable? These are some of the most iconic games on the system, there's nothing "questionable" about the selection. "A bit too expensive" compared to what? Pirating? Ofcourse it will be seen as expensive compared to getting them for free. These games are $5 each on Virtual Console, if anything is "too expensive" it's that.

galvatron

How is it too expensive?

$2,- per game and the list contains quite a few true classics. I don;t see anything questionable about it, I'm actually quite surprised it contains so many third party games. Also you get an HDMI cable (admittedly these are dirt-cheap but they could have just as easily not included one), a NES style controller and AC adapter, not to mention the cool-looking mini NES itself. How is $60 too much? If anything I was expecting the price to be a bit higher.

Quite true. I fully expect someone to gift the thing thinking it's just a cool desk decoration at that price.
I don't decorate my desk.

I'm so confused as to why you think this.

The average consumer does not care at all about classic games. They don't care about going back and learning the history of games. They don't care about spending 2-3 hours in Punch Out when they could be on a Minecraft server with their friends or out catching Pokemon in Pokemon Go. They just don't care. Parents aren't idiots, either. If a kid is asking for an iPad for Minecraft, they're not gonna go out and get this. If a teen is asking for Call of Duty, they're old enough to know the difference between a Playstation 4 and an NES.

There is no 'everyone else' because this doesn't appeal to those people. I don't mean to act like a know-it-all but I live in a neighborhood with dozens of kids and teens and interact with them weekly either directly or through their parents, work twice a week with hundreds of kids, and they never, ever mention any games outside of the usual. This product will sell to the diehards and collectors, but this isn't for 'everyone else' because those people won't want this.

Again, I don't think this is a bad product. I like it. It's cool.

My own experiences have shown differently. I've seen kids in my family take interest in retro games because they see it as something for "older people", and kids always want to feel older than they really are (hence COD's popularity with kids).

My niece was begging for the Sega Genesis knockoff they sell at Toys R Us last year for her birthday. She wanted it over an iPad, or a phone. And she's only 6.

My niece is not a representative of all kids, and of course my experience is purely anecdotal, but I think you're underestimating just how "in" retro is right now even with younger people. Minecraft ironically helped with that by popularizing pixelated graphics - remember when a kid on Miiverse was calling a screenshot of Pilotwings "Minecraft"?

Holy shit! This is huge! I never thought Nintendo would jump on board the clone hardware market. It's about time though! I'm getting this day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom