• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Hopefully they sell a wireless controller. If the originals are $10, I'll gladly double that for ease of use. Since the system already has bluetooth (or whatever Wii uses), maybe we'll get lucky.

edit: reading up, it appears there's no wireless connection option at all. :(

IrishNinja

that's a mighty fine lineup right there!

i love my RGB-modded NES + everdrive so im good, but i cant lie, even the throwback box for that thing is sexy

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Pretty cool idea, especially with HDMI and all. Looking forward to it. Even though retro games usually get boring to me rather quickly once the novelty wears off, it's well-priced.

that's a mighty fine lineup right there!

i love my RGB-modded NES + everdrive so im good, but i cant lie, even the throwback box for that thing is sexy

You know from the retro threads that I love my original console and CRT, too, but I'm gonna snag this because I have no retro games in my main living room. My retro setup is all in my basement because it's way to complex for the living room and there's no place for a tube TV there. This will be "good enough" for casual play when company is over.

hatchx

Banned
This is cool as shit. I want one. It's games I already have across other systems, but the NES controller and 60$ price tag make this a must.

I can see this being a really popular item.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Wow, surprised by this announcement. And so is NTDOY by the looks of it. Really clever tactical play from Nintendo to patch a dead Xmas lineup.

A bit worried it will be a bit nasty like many of these emulator consoles, so I think I'll stick with my Analogue NT.

Ansatz

4.99 USD and there's a lot more than 30 on there.

Dis gud value tho.

Should be noted that you also get Miiverse support, which is nice to have. You can see how younger generations react to old games and save screenshots of cool moments yourself. Playing on the gamepad screen in bed is also a fantastic feature.

That's why I'm mainly interested in the controllers with this, and if it has non-shitty emulation then that's perfect because I won't to play VC games in their current state.

Revven

Even though I have said before this isn't for me, I may just pick this up on a whim as a collector's item thing. I still have my original NES but it's just sitting on my shelf atm and, well, I don't own a lot of the games that are on this NES mini so that'd be a nice bonus on top of the technically forward-compatible NES controller it comes with (since it'll work on both Wii and the Wii U).

I own two NESes (classic and top-loader) along with a 100+ game collection and I'm still very excited about this announcement. I certainly like the "presentation" part of the package but I really like the HDMI/no cart convenience.

I think the collection of games makes for an impressive cross-section. Having Tecmo Super Bowl instead of Tecmo Bowl would've been worth the price of admission alone but look forward to firing up the original again. Speaking of, I guess they will have to alter the rosters/names due to NFL/NFLPA reasons?

That's why I'm mainly interested in the controllers with this, and if it has non-shitty emulation then that's perfect because I won't to play VC games in their current state.

These all-in-one boxes use shitty emulation pretty much always. Would be great if this is not the case but I'm not holding my breath.

hypermog

Neo Member
It's USB powered, but does not come with a common USB ac adaptor, but as people have pointed out, it can be powered through your television anyhow.

That's only in Europe. In NA it comes with an AC adapter:

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/de...th-nintendos-ultimate-retro-gaming-experience
The system comes packaged with an HDMI cable, an AC adapter and one NES Classic Controller, which is patterned after the iconic design of the original NES controller.

A relative texted me a picture of just the system being held in someone's hand with no context so at first I thought it was just some novelty retro collector's item, lol Mind blown, this is going to sell gang busters, excellent variety for the included games too. Exec: "Wii U sales are going to be abysmal in November, what do we do??" "Why don't we just being back the NES?" Exec: "Make it so!!!!!"

Love that the pad doubles as a classic controller for Wii U.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I love that the controller interface is the same one their classic control extensions use. Such possibilities.

I don't know if this is answered, but will this have a save state feature like the VC has?

when you factor in inflation, its basically getting 30 games for the price of one + the console thrown in for free. Here's what some NES games costed back in the 1990's

sears-catalog-1990-pg1447-NES_full.jpg

sfedai0

Banned
This will be my first Nintendo purchase since SNES days. Now make a mini SNES asap!! Although, the games that need to be included with that will be much harder to decide,

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The logo at the very bottom hints that this is just the first "Classics" product of this kind, with more to come.
Volume 2 should be an NES2 with the remake style casing and dogbone controllers.

Volume 3 and 4 could be SNES and SNES2 styles.

Volume 5 and 6 would be N64.

I'll collect them all.

Still think they should have allowed for expansions. 30 games is pretty low for a console that had more than 700 games in the US alone. Surely there's a lot more good stuff it's missing.

I am happy to see Bubble Bobble and StarTropics on there though. (Even if BB is the NES version. As is Donkey Kong. We'll never get an official release of the pie level. I mean cement level.)

With this controller, every Nintendo controller except for the N64 controller is now useable on the Wii U in some way or another. At least, if you were lucky enough to nab the SNES Classic Controller. And on the original Wii the GameCube controller is fully supported, so you can play NES games with an NES controller, SNES games with a SNES controller, and GameCube games with the GCN controller.

What I'm saying is, Nintendo really needs a Wii compatible N64 controller. And needs to actually sell that SNES controller. And fully support the GCN USB adaptor on NX.

Speaking of NX, if Nintendo is releasing a brand new Wii compatible controller with a decently high-profile product a few months before the NX, you guys think this confirms Wii Remote support on NX? Or at least that the NX controller supports Wii Remote extensions?

GeeDuhb

Volume 2 should be an NES2 with the remake style casing and dogbone controllers.

Volume 3 and 4 could be SNES and SNES2 styles.

Volume 5 and 6 would be N64.

I'll collect them all.

Still think they should have allowed for expansions. 30 games is pretty low for a console that had more than 700 games in the US alone. Surely there's a lot more good stuff it's missing.

I am happy to see Bubble Bobble and StarTropics on there though. (Even if BB is the NES version. As is Donkey Kong. We'll never get an official release of the pie level. I mean cement level.)

For some reason, the "30 games included" text has me feeling like there could be the potential to add other games at some point. Maybe I am just crazy though!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For some reason, the "30 games included" text has me feeling like there could be the potential to add other games at some point. Maybe I am just crazy though!
Yeah it is weird wording. Maybe the box has WiFi and can expand? That would be neat. Downloadable cart packs with maybe 10-15 games each for a few bucks.

With this controller, every Nintendo controller except for the N64 controller is now useable on the Wii U in some way or another. At least, if you were lucky enough to nab the SNES Classic Controller. And on the original Wii the GameCube controller is fully supported, so you can play NES games with an NES controller, SNES games with a SNES controller, and GameCube games with the GCN controller.

What I'm saying is, Nintendo really needs a Wii compatible N64 controller. And needs to actually sell that SNES controller. And fully support the GCN USB adaptor on NX.

Speaking of NX, if Nintendo is releasing a brand new Wii compatible controller with a decently high-profile product a few months before the NX, you guys think this confirms Wii Remote support on NX? Or at least that the NX controller supports Wii Remote extensions?

Just dance has been confirmed for NX

I believe wii controllers will be compatible, UNLESS they go the Kinect route.

IrishNinja

You know from the retro threads that I love my original console and CRT, too, but I'm gonna snag this because I have no retro games in my main living room. My retro setup is all in my basement because it's way to complex for the living room and there's no place for a tube TV there. This will be "good enough" for casual play when company is over.

i think it's a really great option for that kinda thing, and trust nintendo to put out quality emulation here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom