• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think it's a really great option for that kinda thing, and trust nintendo to put out quality emulation here as well.

Hope springs eternal.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but isn't Punch Out one of the games that is like impossible to beat on modern tvs because of input lag and whatnot? Also I wounder why no Castlevania 3. Maybe a limitation of the emulation since I know it can be wonky with a lot of stuff.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
R9NnfPu.png

Can we talk about how rad this Classics logo is? This seems like it's going to be a THING for Nintendo... they don't just brand shit to brand shit.

Javier

Just dance has been confirmed for NX

I believe wii controllers will be compatible, UNLESS they go the Kinect route.
Just Dance on NX doesn't confirm Wiimote support since the series now has a Companion App that allows you to play the game with your smartphone.

Just Dance on NX doesn't confirm Wiimote support since the series now has a Companion App that allows you to play the game with your smartphone.

True, but it confirms there will be some sort of way to control the game using a motion sensor product

Basically you're telling there's a chance they would rather release the game in a dedicated gaming system to use an accessory not related to the actual dedicated gaming console.

Possible, since we don't exactly know what is NX, but quite honestly I see them using wii controllers.

I could be wrong

IrishNinja

Hope springs eternal.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but isn't Punch Out one of the games that is like impossible to beat on modern tvs because of input lag and whatnot? Also I wounder why no Castlevania 3. Maybe a limitation of the emulation since I know it can be wonky with a lot of stuff.

is it? yeah, i can see that game as being unbeatable with any decent amount of lag, damn...and i wanna say CV3 is known to give emulators issues in the past, no?

R9NnfPu.png

Can we talk about how rad this Classics logo is? This seems like it's going to be a THING for Nintendo... they don't just brand shit to brand shit.

good catch - id love to see more like this! honestly, an SNES remix alone would be day 1

MoxManiac

I'm really surprised that everyone wants one. Is it because its officially from Nintendo?? Because they've had third party NES machines for ages. I just went to Japan and almost bought a 3rd party Super Famicom one, and it looked pretty nice too. Plus it also played carts.

I think this machine looks pretty nice, but it doesn't play carts, and it doesn't look like it has wifi to connect to an eshop to buy more games, so its literally a one and done machine.

It does seem like a cheap way to play those 30 games if that's all you are after.

Being an official product means the quality will be a huge step up from the 3rd party devices.

This might be pandering to nerd nostalgia but for me it's certainly working. I am slightly concerned on how NES games will look on an HD TV, but I suppose if need be I can always dig out my old CRT.

Jonbo298

I can't wait for experts to take this apart for specs and see what kind of emulator Nintendo is using. Since it supports the standard Wii remote port, modding is going to be fun to see in time.

As for the Duck Hunt comments, Nintendo did release it on the Wii U VC and uses a Wii remote instead. They could port it to this if they wanted to, if it can support Wii remotes.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Hope springs eternal.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but isn't Punch Out one of the games that is like impossible to beat on modern tvs because of input lag and whatnot?

No, it's very possible unless you have an extremely shitty/laggy tv. It will actually be easier on this device than an actual NES since there's no upscaling by the TV.

I'm really surprised that everyone wants one. Is it because its officially from Nintendo?? Because they've had third party NES machines for ages. I just went to Japan and almost bought a 3rd party Super Famicom one, and it looked pretty nice too. Plus it also played carts.

I think this machine looks pretty nice, but it doesn't play carts, and it doesn't look like it has wifi to connect to an eshop to buy more games, so its literally a one and done machine.

It does seem like a cheap way to play those 30 games if that's all you are after.

I don't like buying mock ups nor any kind of imitations, I find it pretty bad for the industry
and kinda sad, no offense, it's just the way I think

So this is awesome for me :)

is it? yeah, i can see that game as being unbeatable with any decent amount of lag, damn...and i wanna say CV3 is known to give emulators issues in the past, no?

Yeah CV3 gives certain things issues. Why I wounder if it being omitted is an indication of the emulator they are using.

I can't wait for experts to take this apart for specs and see what kind of emulator Nintendo is using. Since it supports the standard Wii remote port, modding is going to be fun to see in time.

That is a big thing that I'm looking forward to. Seeing if someone can work a way to put whatever you want on it.

I know this is going to sound snooty, but I hope this has some kind of decent CRT filter built in (it would be pretty cool if they just used the one that's semi-hidden in Super Mario Maker.)

I'm going to be disappointed, aren't I? :-(

bill0527

I'm buying it anyway but if this thing had original cartridge support...OMG.

I wonder if all 30 games are going to be burned on a ROM chip.

1upmuffin

There would be 0 practical point in doing this but it would be awesome if instead of having the games all pre-loaded they came with mini cartridges of the games instead. Would be so cool to have a library of Game Boy game sized NES carts.

Pinky

Banned
I do like the idea that some kid is gonna open his Christmas gift and it will be a GODDAMN NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

The announcement of this thing has transported me back to the 80s. As soon as I read the announcement, I emailed the link to my wife and told her this is what I want for Christmas. I feel like a kid again!

RanoNL

Damn. Only Final Fantasy alone is worth this Classic NES-purchase. I really hope we can play Advance Wars or Fire Emblem one day.

Is this thing available in retail? Somehow it feels limited.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I know this is going to sound snooty, but I hope this has some kind of decent CRT filter built in (it would be pretty cool if they just used the one that's semi-hidden in Super Mario Maker.)

I'm going to be disappointed, aren't I? :-(
I expect one. This is purely a nostalgia play and scanlines are how everyone viewed these games originally.

Jubenhimer

From what I can tell, Nintendo really seems serious about expanding it's audience. a $60 console with 30 games makes it a neat novelty for casual gamers and lapsed gamers who fell out of the medium. And if it works, it combined with Nintendo's phone apps can lure new audiences Nintendo hardware, and encourage them to invest in the Nintendo ecosystem. So basically, their sticking to their Wii philosophy they're just changing their approach.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I was thinking the other day that they should do this, since anyone with Raspberry Pi can do it anyway.

In my imagination, this console would include 5 free games, the catch is that it would be any game from the online store; so you log in, put your credit card data, download your 5 games, and could buy other games at $3 each or something.

Also, is this the GCN/Wii hardware again? If so, Dolphin is the most successful hardware in history.

There should be a hidden button in the controller or console, so we can access the OS in the system, IMO.

Finally, I'm worried about the other stuff included in Wii VC; what happens to manuals and other goodies? Are those still in here? What about save states? If you quit a game, do you have to restart it again next time, or it pauses were you left? Because I'm sure as hell I won't be writing those passwords again, as much as I loved my old NES.

Edit: It does have suspend points, yes!

Danneee

I think the amount of games across most genres could mean that we won't see any more games released for it. On the other hand it would seem weird to not just include the extra controller and add ten bucks to the price if it's just a one and done type of thing. But that could just be Nintendo and their nickel and dime tactics we've seem before (3DS charger...).

Still think they should have allowed for expansions. 30 games is pretty low for a console that had more than 700 games in the US alone. Surely there's a lot more good stuff it's missing.

I am happy to see Bubble Bobble and StarTropics on there though. (Even if BB is the NES version. As is Donkey Kong. We'll never get an official release of the pie level. I mean cement level.)

For some reason, the "30 games included" text has me feeling like there could be the potential to add other games at some point. Maybe I am just crazy though!
Considering the catalog of games in the NES and the unique choice of words, it would be great if they could expand the game selection - even if it is the Black Box/Nintendo published variety. Ice Hockey and Pro Wrestling are two games that come to mind in that area.

But again, as a somewhat avid NES cart collector, I am very impressed with how they offered such a nice cross-section of titles in this collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom