• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

Can't wait for the first person trying to build the actual NES into the Mini NES case

And yeah would murder for a Mini SNES with SMW/SM/ALTTP

vazel

Banned
I'm mainly interested in getting a newly manufactured NES gamepad; I hope someone makes a PC adapter so I can use one with RetroArch.

Bass260

I was thinking the other day that they should do this, since anyone with Raspberry Pi can do it anyway.

In my imagination, this console would include 5 free games, the catch is that it would be any game from the online store; so you log in, put your credit card data, download your 5 games, and could buy other games at $3 each or something.

Also, is this the GCN/Wii hardware again? If so, Dolphin is the most successful hardware in history.

There should be a hidden button in the controller or console, so we can access the OS in the system, IMO.

Finally, I'm worried about the other stuff included in Wii VC; what happens to manuals and other goodies? Are those still in here? What about save states? If you quit a game, do you have to restart it again next time, or it pauses were you left? Because I'm sure as hell I won't be writing those passwords again, as much as I loved my old NES.

Edit: It does have suspend points, yes!

I wonder how you access the suspend points with the NES controller? Surely they'll have to have an OS button as an easy way to include manuals and save states.

I assume with this system more games can be added later on..and crossing fingers that eventually Duck Hunt will be added..I know its available on the Wii U but its not the same, the original gun was AWESOME I still have it

delume

Sounds great. Perfect for the kids' games room. Hopefully a sign of things to come. It seems like Nintendo manages to find momentum when all signs point to decline (Zelda's mindshare at e3, GO, etc.).

I assume with this system more games can be added later on..and crossing fingers that eventually Duck Hunt will be added..I know its available on the Wii U but its not the same, the original gun was AWESOME I still have it
You'll find you can't use it on modern TVs. Wii U version is the closest we'll get.

The use or 'pre-installed' on that website makes me hopeful.

No connectivity but get enough of these in people's hands and then find a way to sell 2 packs of additional games for $5

Grew up on the NES, will be preordering, then be kicking myself for not waiting for the inevitable famicom version. This is a great way to spend some time with some Nes games i would probably never revisit again.

Can't believe double dragon 2 and super c are on that list, they are really giving us a good reason to pick up a second controller.

I can't help but think they should have used the Famicom console as a basis rather than the NES.

It's small enough already that they probably wouldn't have had to change the proportions and it comes with two controllers that stow away very easily. Looks a lot classier too. Just a thought.

18j2z59uszbqijpg.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't help but think they should have used the Famicom console as a basis rather than the NES.

It's small enough already that they probably wouldn't have had to change the proportions and it comes with two controllers that stow away very easily. Looks a lot classier too. Just a thought.

18j2z59uszbqijpg.jpg

Except nobody in America would have recognized it.

Yeah it is weird wording. Maybe the box has WiFi and can expand? That would be neat. Downloadable cart packs with maybe 10-15 games each for a few bucks.

If this thing can connect online, then it would be a great way to lock people into a proprietary storefront. Even if the memory storage of the Mini isn't that expandable and couldn't fit more than 30 games at a time, having an account on their storefront where you can manage what 30 games reside locally on your machine sounds like a fine solution.

18j2z59uszbqijpg.jpg

They're selling this on nostalgia. And the West doesn't have nostalgia for the Famicom's design.

The NES has a really iconic design that many people in the West, even people who haven't touched a controller in 20 years, will immediately recognize. It's going to sell just based off that alone. No one but us nerds would recognize a Famicom here in the West.

Is this thing available in retail? Somehow it feels limited.

My guess is this thing will be available everywhere

Amazon, Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, KOHLS, CVS, Wallgreens, Toys 'R Us...you name it.

18j2z59uszbqijpg.jpg

The average American or European has zero attachment to the Famicom.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So I just signed up for email alerts on Amazon for when the product is available.

Almost impossible to miss now.

True story:

Never once has Amazon email alerts worked for me. Not once. I don't even know why they have the option.

KingSlime

I think it would be very cool if they released expansion paks for this. They could be GBA-sized carts that look like NES ones, and you could just swap them into the back of the unit. 10 new games on a card, $10 or something like that. I'm sure we will see this unit sell well, so I wonder if they had the foresight to include a port.

And that's all good as far as I'm concerned. :) The Wii U/VC version is a nice alternative, though the Wiimote makes the game much easier and less challenging.
You can turn the cursor off but obviously it's hard to sync the sensor bar 1:1 with your TV display

They're selling this on nostalgia. And the West doesn't have nostalgia for the Famicom's design.

The NES has a really iconic design that many people in the West, even people who haven't touched a controller in 20 years, will immediately recognize. It's going to sell just based off that alone. No one but us nerds would recognize a Famicom here in the West.

My mom instantly recognized it from the NES my dad had back in the day. In fact, she saw it first and texted it to me. So yeah, exactly.

Will there be anyway for Nintendo to sell or add additional games to the system down the line?

No. The console is a standalone device, so it cannot connect to the internet or any external storage devices. The 30 games included with the system were chosen to provide a wide variety of top-quality, long-lasting game-play experiences

Sorry if this has been answered a million times, I've been checking in periodically all day and am still a bit confused:

Is this thing powered by USB?

-What sort of storage does it use?

We aren’t discussing technical specifications. However, it does not connect to any external storage devices.

-Is this running via an emulator?

We aren’t discussing technical specifications.

-Will it support a video emulation mode like scan lines or crt emulation?

We will confirm these details later.

-What are its dimensions and weight?

We aren’t discussing technical specifications, but it is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand.

-Are there plans for coming out with other mini systems like the SNES?

We have nothing to announce at this time.

...great

In addition to the NES Classic Controller, the Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro are also compatible with the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition. Both can be plugged directly into the console; however, when using two controllers, one of them must be the NES Classic Controller.

I wonder what the reason for this is? Isn't the NES Classic Controller just a reskinned Classic Controller, or does it actually differ under-the-hood?

Pinky

Banned
Will there be anyway for Nintendo to sell or add additional games to the system down the line?

No. The console is a standalone device, so it cannot connect to the internet or any external storage devices. The 30 games included with the system were chosen to provide a wide variety of top-quality, long-lasting game-play experiences

RG0BS1U.gif

Still...DAY 1!

We aren’t discussing technical specifications. However, it does not connect to any external storage devices.

We aren’t discussing technical specifications, but it is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand.

...great
To be fair the interview is simply asking about things the device doesn't do, it will come across as negative but it's nice to know at the very least what it doesn't do. Basically it's exactly what was announced earlier today

ElRenoRaven

...great

Yup a useless Q&A. The only good question was the last one because it made me laugh and brought back many memories.

Still months away and I'm already excited for when this thing eventually gets hacked / jailbroken. Let's see what interesting things people will come up with...

RedBoot

I wonder what the reason for this is? Isn't the NES Classic Controller just a reskinned Classic Controller, or does it actually differ under-the-hood?

It's weird because presumably you can use just a Classic Controller if you were playing single-player.

Why would Single NES, Single Classic, and NES + Classic work while Classic + Classic wouldn't?

Welp. There it is.

Not quite the forward-thinking move I had hoped for.
Yeah you would think Nintendo would benefit from just linking in the Wii U or 3DS's eshop for the system. It could be a NES virtual console machine but alas, we still have a great selection and an amazing looking device.

Damn I'm so pumped. That packaging is just A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

I'm getting two of these. Knowing Nintendo there will be shortages - and knowing gamers, someone will make me a little cash money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom