• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lautaro

Oh my God, is so beatiful.

I guess this feeling is that nostalgia-thing people keep talking about... I remember being pretty poor as a kid but during a short time that my parents had some money they bought me a NES console, after that they separated and I had to experience real poverty so I never had another console during my childhood (and becoming older I only cared about gaming PCs). I guess this is the first console I'll buy after so many years.

I have something in my eye...

RedBoot

Yeah you would think Nintendo would benefit from just linking in the Wii U or 3DS's eshop for the system. It could be a NES virtual console machine but alas, we still have a great selection and an amazing looking device.

Including enough storage space for 20-30 extra games, the wireless adapter to connect online, and anything else needed would probably bump the price up a bit, well out of impulse-buy range. Plus, the mainstream audience isn't really going to care about that anyway. Someone who actually wants a semi-complete NES library in a box already owns a Wii or Wii U.

If this is wildly successful and Nintendo wants to capitalize, they're much better off releasing an SNES or N64 edition than just allowing more NES games to be downloaded.

Absolutely shocking news.

Think like Nintendo.

1) All of our systems get hacked
2) If this gets hacked, we'll lose huge revenue on 2.0 and 3.0 systems
3) OK, lock this down. No storage. No network. Games burned right into the SoC.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this thing is hack-proof for all practical purposes. Burn the games right into the SoC. This also helps keep their costs like crazy low.

Just like the Flashback consoles, look for revised/expanded versions down the road. At this price point, people will re-buy.

Yeah you would think Nintendo would benefit from just linking in the Wii U or 3DS's eshop for the system. It could be a NES virtual console machine but alas, we still have a great selection and an amazing looking device.

I agree that the portability of the that machine is incredibly attractive, as is the game selection. Still sad the expandability dream is DOA.

RPGam3r

Yes? Whether this thing is emulating games or has actual NES hardware matters a lot, imho. Why they're keeping this secret is baffling.

Why does that matter? I could see why they wouldn't bother bc it means nothing to the overwhelming majority of their target audience that will buy this.

Yes? Whether this thing is emulating games or has actual NES hardware matters a lot, imho. Why they're keeping this secret is baffling.
The size of the device likely means the hardware is a complete overhaul of the original NES components, that and there's likely going to be a fairly friendly interface to select these 30 games that goes beyond what the NES is capable of. I could be wrong in these assumptions but I imagine we're getting entirely new hardware.

How will saving work?

Each game has multiple suspend points, so you can start where you left off at a later time.

Will it support a video emulation mode like scan lines or crt emulation?

We will confirm these details later.

If you think it has actual NES hardware underneath you're kidding yourself.

Edit: Oh, also-
Does it have a USB port?

Technically, yes, but that port is only used to power the system with the included AC adapter.

Make sure we hold them to this, guys.

oti

Banned
Think like Nintendo.

1) All of our systems get hacked
2) If this gets hacked, we'll lose huge revenue on 2.0 and 3.0 systems
3) OK, lock this down. No storage. No network. Games burned right into the SoC.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this thing is hack-proof for all practical purposes. Burn the games right into the SoC. This also helps keep their costs like crazy low.

Just like the Flashback consoles, look for revised/expanded versions down the road. At this price point, people will re-buy.

This thing exists because the win margin has to be ridiculous. Why bother with online structure, why bother with external HDD support or stuff like that? The people who want to buy it will buy it, the rest will continue to use emulation. I could also see some people "paying off" their guilt for years and years of using illegal emulation as well.

Because the average Walmart shopper doesn't even know what "emulation" is. And that's who they're targeting. Not saying I agree with it (I prefer transparency when possible), but that's what they probably think. Nintendo sees itself as a toy company not a tech company and technical details are irrelevant to a parent buying a toy for their kid in the holidays.

Retro gamers who worry about things like screen filters and cycle-accurate emulation are not the main audience for this thing. There will always be better third party solutions for that crowd.

There was never going to be online connections, not from nintendo and not for $60

Someone will crack this thing open and figure out how to turn it into a much more expensive and far less versatile Raspberry Pi

UberTag

Can't wait for the first person trying to build the actual NES into the Mini NES case

And yeah would murder for a Mini SNES with SMW/SM/ALTTP
Here's my best guest of what a Mini-SNES pre-loaded game lineup would look like...

Actraiser
Chrono Trigger
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
EarthBound
Earthworm Jim
Final Fantasy II {IV}
Final Fantasy III {VI}
F-Zero
Gradius III
Kirby's Dream Course
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Mortal Kombat II
Pilotwings
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Street Fighter II: Turbo
Super Bomberman
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Yoshi's Cookie
Yoshi's Island

Here's my best guest of what a Mini-SNES pre-loaded game lineup would look like...

Actraiser
Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
Earthworm Jim
Final Fantasy II {IV}
Final Fantasy III {VI}
F-Zero
Gradius III
Kirby's Dream Course
Mega Man X
Mortal Kombat II
Pilotwings
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Super Bomberman
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Super Smash Bros.
Yoshi's Island
A mine SNES would be expensive I think.

zewone

I can't help but think they should have used the Famicom console as a basis rather than the NES.

It's small enough already that they probably wouldn't have had to change the proportions and it comes with two controllers that stow away very easily. Looks a lot classier too. Just a thought.

18j2z59uszbqijpg.jpg

The Famicom is ugly. The NES is a nicer design and has nostalgia playing a big part.

On the other hand, I'd rather see a Super Famicom design for the SNES mini, but that's a pipe dream.

Actraiser
Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
Earthworm Jim
Final Fantasy II {IV}
Final Fantasy III {VI}
F-Zero
Gradius III
Kirby's Dream Course
Mega Man X
Mortal Kombat II
Pilotwings
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Super Bomberman
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Super Smash Bros.
Yoshi's Island

Kirby's Dream Course instead of Super Star??

Are they going to go through all that trouble for a $60 console? This is a company that can't be bothered to correctly emulate their own games on the virtual console. I doubt they care that much about fidelity. Of course there are ways to alter the signal that comes out of original hardware. They can shove a Framemeister under there if they want to but for $60 I will eat my own shoe if it uses actual NES hardware.

Speaking of which, I remember those old gloom n' doom rumors about "Nintendo is looking into Android OS for its next console!!!" But that makes me think... maybe those rumors had some substance to them and this is in fact their next console and it will use Android OS to run their emulator? If it's running Android, I will be disappointed but I'll still buy it to review and if it's trash I'll sell it right after.

RedBoot

You snuck in a N64 title by mistake (Super Smash Bros).
Revise the list, you now have a slot free!

We wouldn't see Star Fox or Yoshi's Island either (FX chip) and I seriously doubt they'd get Mortal Kombat 2 on there since it's never been on the VC. Mario All Stars is also unlikely.

I'd like to see if an SNES would have 4 controller slots on it. Bomberman and Secret of Mana would be shoe-ins if so.

ElCidTmax

This thing is neat. I've got a raspberry pi 2 already with a couple SFC30 gamepads, so I guess I don't need it, but I do like it! Great price too.

optimiss

Maybe THIS is the supplemental computing device from that Nintendo patent. They are going to sell enough of them for it to be a pretty powerful beowulf cluster.

First impression is... HOly shit, I want it!

But if there's no way to expand the library, I wonder if it's just a novelty...

I also don't like that the controllers are wii controllers, but not a deal breaker.

Heck, I'll probably get one if it isn't too expensive. (edit: 60 bucks, plus 9.99 for a second controller? Ehh.... I have all those carts... do I really need this?)

We wouldn't see Star Fox or Yoshi's Island either (FX chip)

Why is the FX chip a limitation? Clone consoles have gotten around the FX chip problem for over a decade so I don't think it would stop Nintendo. Is there a rights issue or something I don't know about?

RedBoot

What are the right's issues? For some reason I just assumed EnixSquare games would never show up.

Final Fantasy and Bubble Bobble are on the NES Classic Mini, so Square Enix is playing ball.

Why is the FX chip a limitation? Clone consoles have gotten around the FX chip problem for over a decade so I don't think it would stop Nintendo. Is there a rights issue or something I don't know about?

Yeah, some sort of rights issue. Nobody knows the specifics because Nintendo, but there's a reason Star Fox isn't on the VC and they've released the GBA version of Yoshi's Island instead of the SNES one.

Conezays

Pretty cool! I already have a Wii and CRT, etc. so fairly redundant for me personally but I will likely get one, lol. I think it will make a great, relatively cheap present for a lot of people out there this holiday.

I don't think it was ever confirmed but both Yoshi's Island and Star Fox have never been on Virtual Console for any system, while pretty much all of the other games in their series have been. The GBA version of Yoshi's Island has been used for the VC instead.

oti

Banned
You can't buy more games for it?

Nintendo shoot themselves in the foot yet again. Good idea with half-hearted execution.

To me this reads like a present. Here's a present for you, it's a piece of video game history. No fuss, no bells and whistles. Just the games in a nostalgic case.

I think that's nice. There's value to this simpler approach.

zewone

Kind of interested.

Snes would have been better imo.

They had to start from the bottom and work their way up.

If Nintendo had made the SNES version of this first, it would have made the NES a harder sell down the road.

Now, people will buy this and the SNES later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom