• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

optimiss

You can't buy more games for it?

Nintendo shoot themselves in the foot yet again. Good idea with half-hearted execution.

I think that would take away some of the appeal for the average consumer. They don't want a real console, they want a simple little box that plays some of the games they loved as a child. Nintendo is doing it right.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
To me this reads like a present. Here's a present for you, it's a piece of video game history. No fuss, no bells and whistles. Just the game in a nostalgic case.

I think that's nice. There's value to this simpler approach.

I totally agree. For example, I plan on getting one for my father-in-law. If he had to figure out how to connect it to WiFi, set up an account, enter his credit card number, connect it to an online service, update it, etc. he would get frustrated with it and never use it.

As it is, it looks like it'll be a really simple "plug and play" self-contained system - just like the original NES he loved back in the day. I like that.

Real Hero

People who want to buy more games have the virtual console, this isn't supposed to be that but a one and done dose of pure nostalgia

meppi

Oh, when I saw this somewhere else it never crossed my mind that this would be an official product! :-O

Gonna grab two when it's released.
The games I do miss are PinBot, NES Open Golf and Power Blade, but hey.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Everyone who's complaining about not being able to expand the library, there are like a million ways to accomplish this (emulators, raspberry pi, Android, etc) in a similar fashion.

Or, obviously, buying a WiiU for the full library of VC games.

As it is, it looks like it'll be a really simple "plug and play" self-contained system - just like the original NES he loved back in the day. I like that.

I fully expect these units to start showing up in AirBnB setups after November. Great way to add value to your listing with near zero fuss.

Nintendo is fucking up if you can't flip the lid open on this thing and insert mini add on carts.

Imagine $20 carts with 10 games each.

Capcom cart
Konami cart
Namco cart
Nintendo carts

Even new games could be made...

FTF

Nintendo is fucking up if you can't flip the lid open on this thing and insert mini add on carts.

Capcom cart
Konami cart
Namco cart
Nintendo carts

Son of a bitch...this is a great idea that I now want!

Just thinking of the SNES version of this has be salivating.

I totally agree. For example, I plan on getting one for my father-in-law. If he had to figure out how to connect it to WiFi, set up an account, enter his credit card number, connect it to an online service, update it, etc. he would get frustrated with it and never use it.

Exactly

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Everyone who's complaining about not being able to expand the library, there are like a million ways to accomplish this (emulators, raspberry pi, Android, etc) in a similar fashion.

but nintendo has to do it or it doesn't count

jshackles

but nintendo has to do it or it doesn't count

That's why I mentioned the option of just buying a WiiU and using it to exclusively buy/play VC games if you want.

Bonus points that you'll be able to buy a compatible controller for $9.99 and use it with that.

Jockel

That this thing is real and indeed coming in 2016 fills my bitter old heart with joy.
Can't contain my hype. Even though it's silly, as I got a an RGB modded AV FC hooked up through a Framemeister with a kickass collection... just seeing this new box makes me giddy.

Man would it be cool if old games were back in print again. I mean, I can still buy physical copies of Citizen Kane and Dark Side of the Moon...

Roxas

Can anyone explain why again in Europe, they aren't going to include an AC adaptor with the console? They did this shit with the 2DS and the new 3DS and it pisses me the fuck off

eXistor

Capcom cart
Konami cart
Namco cart
Nintendo carts

As cool as that sounds, that would miss the point kinda. This is tailor-made to be a cool, gimmicky christmas gift for people who used to play videogames in the 80's, nothing more (and collectors and resellers I guess). If you do all the things you suggest (which again, isn't a bad idea per se) you might lose that target audience. It's as simple and restrictive as it should be. It's enough.

schopaia

There was never going to be online connections, not from nintendo and not for $60

Someone will crack this thing open and figure out how to turn it into a much more expensive and far less versatile Raspberry Pi

Nintendo 2DS has wifi, 2 screens and a 30 years more modern processor all for $79. That said, I think the simplicity of the device will account for alot of its appeal - a clunky e-shop navigated by NES controls would only detract.

StereoVsn

As cool as that sounds, that would miss the point kinda. This is tailor-made to be a cool, gimmicky christmas gift for people who used to play videogames in the 80's, nothing more (and collectors and resellers I guess). If you do all the things you suggest (which again, isn't a bad idea per se) you might lose that target audience. It's as simple and restrictive as it should be. It's enough.
Actually physical add on cartridges would play up to that audience especially made in the shape of OG NES carts. WiFi and VC would be too much probably.

human5892

Queen of Denmark

Capcom cart
Konami cart
Namco cart
Nintendo carts

Cool idea, but the extra hardware would add to cost and make the system more complex and prone to breaking. Hitting the $60 price point is huge.

Despite understanding all this and being okay with the product as-is

I'd still have loved the option to sync my VC library with this thing and download other stuff, even if the option is really really hidden and most people will be able to experience this thing as a plug-and-play system.

Can anyone explain why again in Europe, they aren't going to include an AC adaptor with the console? They did this shit with the 2DS and the new 3DS and it pisses me the fuck off

Just one package for the whole of Europe instead of different packages with different plugs for different countries, plus who doesn't have at least half a dozen usb plugs littering their house

Airola

I have most of the games installed in this machine on my Wii U. I'm still tempted to get one. I'm especially interested in that controller. And I wonder if the games look better than on the VC (they all look a bit too dark).

If you are buying these games alone on Virtual Console you will be spending (opens calculator) $150

Oh god, I just counted I have 67 NES games on my Wii U. Not all have been 5 euros as some were 50% off and there were a few games that were only 30 cents when VC launched. And some were moved over from my Wii and then bought at a discount price on the Wii U eShop. But still, that's 335 euros worth of games...

test_account

XP-39C²
Comparison with new release and original releases:

CI_NintendoClassicMiniNES_PS_Announcement_MS7_image912w.jpg

Mael

Capcom cart
Konami cart
Namco cart
Nintendo carts

This is kinda what I expected from the original Virtual console platform, I'm kinda bummed that no one tried to sell new games that way.
the possibilities....

RedBoot

Nintendo 2DS has wifi, 2 screens and a 30 years more modern processor all for $79. That said, I think the simplicity of the device will account for alot of its appeal - a clunky e-shop navigated by NES controls would only detract.

Don't forget that they have several 3rd-party companies represented on this thing, so they don't get to keep all the profit.

Also, I suspect they want good profit margins on this thing. They don't have to make much on the 2DS since people are going to buy games for it, but the NES Mini's a one time purchase.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This might be pandering to nerd nostalgia but for me it's certainly working. I am slightly concerned on how NES games will look on an HD TV, but I suppose if need be I can always dig out my old CRT.
It's HDMI. Chances are it won't even have Composite out.

I assume with this system more games can be added later on..and crossing fingers that eventually Duck Hunt will be added..I know its available on the Wii U but its not the same, the original gun was AWESOME I still have it
Imagine releasing a miniature NES Zapper in this climate. Still id love to have have one. It'd be interesting to see how they do it.
If this thing can connect online, then it would be a great way to lock people into a proprietary storefront. Even if the memory storage of the Mini isn't that expandable and couldn't fit more than 30 games at a time, having an account on their storefront where you can manage what 30 games reside locally on your machine sounds like a fine solution.
Even if it were limited to 30 games at one time, there's plenty in that list is gladly sacrifice to replace.

jshackles

Despite understanding all this and being okay with the product as-is

I'd still have loved the option to sync my VC library with this thing and download other stuff, even if the option is really really hidden and most people will be able to experience this thing as a plug-and-play system.

I agree completely, but sadly we are not the target audience for this. :(

I'd love for them to release a "NES Classic Pro" or something similar that has Wifi, eShop, the ability to link a Nintendo ID, and had a port to plug in original game cartridges / controllers as well. But every increase in functionality we're asking for is an increase of the cost of the unit itself, meaning less people would buy it. It'd be like making a sub-niche product of a niche product, and I can't imagine it would sell very well outside of hardcore retro-gaming circles.

For now, the truly dedicated fans of the NES will have to stick to WiiU or 3DS (for official VC releases) and emulators, android, raspberry pi, etc as an unofficial means of playing these games.

EDIT: or, you know, original hardware.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yeah, you guys wishing for your dream nes aren't thinking about how niche this product is. It's solely relying on nostalgia here lol

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
A shame they couldn't get this out last year for the NES' 30th Anniversary.

The only thing I found pretty rad is that they are gonna manufacture NES controllers again... after 30 years.

And here I was thinking that Nintendo making Gamecube Controllers again was the most bonkers thing.

I really wish they weren't that propriety plug though. It'd be nice if they were either USB or the original NES plug.

201112021436385776.jpg

Mayflash got you bro.

test_account

XP-39C²
Looks much more enticing now
I didnt think about that actually, but looking at it now, i agree :)

Why was I a stupid kid who threw all of my game boxes away :(
We didnt think that it would be worth anything in the future, unfortunately :\ I did the same thing basically, didnt take enough care for the boxes and manuals (i only have Maniac Mansion box from childhood, all these games in the picture have been aquired at a later date).

Yeah, you guys wishing for your dream nes aren't thinking about how niche this product is. It's solely relying on nostalgia here lol

To be clear to everyone: this is not to appeal to some tiny market segment. Casual gamers will buy this in droves. But this market niche was carved out by other manufacturers like AtGames and such long ago and almost none of them do anything people are upset Nintendo hasn't done with it in this thread. And people expecting expandability or WiFi and all that.. You all realize it's 60 bucks and has a bunch of third-party games on it, right?

Owari

I want to take this apart and put a raspberry pie in there. When the hell do preorders open?

Edit
201112021436385776.jpg

Mayflash got you bro.
Doesn't this mean I can make the controller ports work with the Pi with enough modding? Yay!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just noticed Amazon UK has already increased the price by a tenner. Guess it was a good thing I did a spontaneous order when I did.

My mom has been talking to me about this all day and how she really wants one.

This thing is gonna sell millions, I just know it.

storafötter;210007065 said:
Cool, but the hardware and emulation will suck for sure. Would be glad to be proved otherwise.

Uh, when has NES emulation been bad on Nintendo consoles?

rSpooky

Just noticed Amazon UK has already increased the price by a tenner. Guess it was a good thing I did a spontaneous order when I did.

I would have too but I have not seen it on amazon US yet. all gone? Never there? I am blind?
Edit: Saw it now and it is off course gone. too bad I had too work and no time to look before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom