• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clem84

Gold Member
Nintendo is fucking up if you can't flip the lid open on this thing and insert mini add on carts.

Imagine $20 carts with 10 games each.

Capcom cart
Konami cart
Namco cart
Nintendo carts

Even new games could be made...
This is a really good idea, even better than expanding the library through the eshop. I would buy every one of those carts. Physical copies of old NES games. Sign me up.

Jims

I'm starting to become resentful that I am such a mark now, that Nintendo knows how to cater to my nostalgia so easily. I am basically my dad now, who was expected to gobble down every Beatles re-release or memorabilia they put out.

On the other hand, it's a rockin' line-up of games, a solid value at $60, and having the HDMI hookups will be super convenient. Will probably ask for one of these for Christmas.

(They are going to sell sooooo many of these during the holidays. Who needs a Wii U lineup?) :p

kinn

As others have already said , they should have had additional games that come on tiny cute carts to slot in the system. Id imagine many people would snap them up to complete a full collection of them ie another form of collectable. Heck, maybe even some nfc functiionality to them as well (ie unlocks the same game on VC or something.

Failing that, at least should have had some small flash storage to download additional NES games (maybe new remix like titles too?) ie making this a dedicated VC portal.

To me this reads like a present. Here's a present for you, it's a piece of video game history. No fuss, no bells and whistles. Just the games in a nostalgic case.

I think that's nice. There's value to this simpler approach.

This is the CORRECT answer. It doesn't need wifi or carts to put in. It's far too small to put NES carts in it so that's a silly question. It's targeted at hardcore fans who will buy most things and at people who used to play Nintendo console. It's targeted also at families who can't afford to spend 300 dollars on a big consoles and 60 dollars on each game.

This will sound like a nitpick, but I hope this console isn't too light. If it's just a plastic shell with a few chips inside, I don't want it flopping around when the controller gets a little tension. I hope it has some "heft" to it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
As others have already said , they should have had additional games that come on tiny cute carts to slot in the system. Id imagine many people would snap them up to complete a full collection of them ie another form of collectable. Heck, maybe even some nfc functiionality to them as well (ie unlocks the same game on VC or something.

Failing that, at least should have had some small flash storage to download additional NES games (maybe new remix like titles too?) ie making this a dedicated VC portal.

Sony tried something similar with the PSTV - that could play PS1 games, PSP games, and PSVita games. You could connect it to PSN, had a huge library of games, and could even play Vita cartridges. Hell, you could even stream your PS4 to it via wifi, and it had bluetooth for wireless controllers.

It didn't work out so well for them.

RedToad64

How will restore points work, like how the press release mentions? Seems like they need to add an extra button to the NES controller... unless maybe the reset button now does this?

Raylan

Banned
I'm finally home. Saw all this one my phone when I was on the road.

SO BOUGHT!

But....
1) Sucks that "The Battle of Olympus" is missing.
2) We will only get these 30 games, right? We won't/can't get more games later on, right?

packy34

I'm finally home. Saw all this one my phone when I was on the road.

SO BOUGHT!

But....
1) Sucks that "The Battle of Olympus" is missing.
2) We will only get these 30 games, right? We won't/can't get more games later on, right?

Probably not officially. We'll have to wait and see after it's released if it's easy to open/modify.

This is torture. I'm at the gym right now and every time my phone vibrates with an email alert I immediately think preorders have opened.

Fuck you and your spam, Humble Bundle.

StereoVsn

Sony tried something similar with the PSTV - that could play PS1 games, PSP games, and PSVita games. You could connect it to PSN, had a huge library of games, and could even play Vita cartridges. Hell, you could even stream your PS4 to it via wifi, and it had bluetooth for wireless controllers.

Too much and too complex and not enough nostalgia. I don't think wireless and VC would be the right move but physical expansion carts with pre-loaded 5-10 games for about $10-20 ($2 per game) would work great. No mucking around with patches, Internet connection, etc.

Edit: PSTV also didn't look like a PSX and didn't come with 30 decent to great games bundled in.

packy34

One interesting tidbit has to do with the system's controller support: "In addition to the NES Classic Controller, the [Wii] Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro are also compatible with the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition. Both can be plugged directly into the console; however, when using two controllers, one of them must be the NES Classic Controller."

Also, is confirmed to have no network functions/additional game support.

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo...4.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Looking at how close the connectors are, I wonder if one has to be the nes one because maybe it doesn't have the extra loop for the Wii remote strap

clem84

Gold Member
Too much and too complex and not enough nostalgia. I don't think wireless and VC would be the right move but physical expansion carts with pre-loaded 5-10 games for about $10-20 ($2 per game) would work great. No mucking around with patches, Internet connection, etc.

Edit: PSTV also didn't look like a PSX and didn't come with 30 decent to great games bundled in.
That's kinda how I see it. Putting in a card slot and the possibility of buying more games would not stray from the "simple" approach. That's how the NES was. You buy carts, you put them in and they work. No fuss. No patches or updates. It would be the NES experience all over again.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
GIVE IT TO ME NOW.GIF

Mario 3!? FF? Ghosts and Goblins!? Come on son. I'm all over that shit day one. Do you know how long i've been waiting for something like this? No more dealing with shitty copycat consoles that break in like 5 seconds, no more overly expensive retro units from shady third party dealers?

Shit, all i need is one for Genesis, and Super Nintendo and i'm damn set. I'll take this over a collection

Eila

They should adjust their VC prices for the next Virtual Console. Oh and bring their whole catalog, no more starting from scratch like they did Wii > Wii U.

kinn

Yeah, I have one lying around somewhere...bought it at full price! It was an exellent idea but gimped by Sony. 720p max and stereo only, propriety memory cards (Goddammit Sony!) and not fully compatable with the Vita catalouge. And I dont think it came with a controller either here in the UK. Neither was there any strong push from Sony in marketing the thing.

Synless

Gold Member

Well, their marketing for it fucking sucked.

univbee

Their support for it in terms of getting what should have been basic things working with it was a trainwreck from the start. Was really unfortunate, there was some great tech there.

LiK

This is not limited but it'll probably sell out initial stock like all highly sought after Nintendo hardware. I still wanna get in the first batch.

batfax

I have way too many carts (including most of the included games) for this to actually take my NES's place, but it's a really cool idea. May give one or two as gifts.

entremet

Maybe Nintendo will revive classic style gaming with a new generation?

I could see this being a cool stocking stuffer for kids.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I love my PSTV for what it does, but this Mini is a clearly different product all together, you only need controllers, and because its official, its gonna have great build quality. Its like Nintendo looked at all those third party dealers that do shitty practices(coughcoughretron5) and said, "i can one up them and make a compelling product that will fly off the shelves".

Without something like this, i never would have considered paying 60 bucks for 30 NES ROMS, now i'll get 2 day 1(one for extra collection purposes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom