• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeDuhb

I would have too but I have not seen it on amazon US yet. all gone? Never there? I am blind?
Edit: Saw it now and it is off course gone. too bad I had too work and no time to look before.

They never put it up in the first place, it is just a placeholder page. Again, like Amazon has been doing for Amiibos and PSVR, they will likely post the date/time that they will put them up in the next few weeks so that everyone has a fair shot at getting one. I like them taking this route.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'm disappointed to hear that its those 30 games and no more (until a sequel), but it doesn't really matter to the mass market that they're targeting here. Those 30 games represents a more robust library than most people ever would have had for their NES back in the day, and a more robust library than 90% of people today would end up with if it were up to them to pick out titles to buy and download individually.

It's a slight disappointment for us enthusiasts, but it's more than enough for the mass market.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the SNES version of this, since those games are so much more robust and large. 30 top SNES games for that $60 impulse price would be an absolute steal.

NolbertoS

Whoa :O

I woke up in a different world today. Or I'm still not a wake.

It's 1985 and the NES has just been released :p. If GAF had existed in the 1980's I can see everybody having mullets and talking about Michael Jacksons transformation, and discussion who's better Kit from knight rider or Airwolf :p

G0523

Anyone else think Nintendo will release a revision of this mini NES? Like with different games and maybe an option for external storage? Kinda like how AtGames/Sega did with all the mini Genesis revisions?

SuperSah

Banned
I love my PSTV for what it does, but this Mini is a clearly different product all together, you only need controllers, and because its official, its gonna have great build quality. Its like Nintendo looked at all those third party dealers that do shitty practices(coughcoughretron5) and said, "i can one up them and make a compelling product that will fly off the shelves".

Without something like this, i never would have considered paying 60 bucks for 30 NES ROMS, now i'll get 2 day 1(one for extra collection purposes)

You can get extra controllers separately.

edit: misread collection - sorry, i'm sleepy!

I own four games on VC for Wii and a grand total of zero on VC for WiiU because the pricing doesn't make sense to me, but two bucks per game seems like an actual good deal. I am going to get this.

I've had a hankering for SMB3 lately, and I can't find my GBA cartridge, so this is good timing.

Plaguefox

I'm confused. What does this mean?

"Note that an AC adapter for the USB cable is required to play the system but is not included in the packaging."

Apologies if it was already solved earlier in the thread.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You can get extra controllers separately.

edit: misread collection - sorry, i'm sleepy!

You mean it already comes with one and you just need to buy another one? If so, fine, i'll eat that cost and buy 2 extra. That's even better cause i didn't think they would include a controller.

Shit...Nintendo, this is the best thing you've done for me since paying for development of Bayonetta.

With NX on the horizon, i can kinda feel myself getting back into the Nintendo groove after being burnt on Wii U

GeeDuhb

I'm disappointed to hear that its those 30 games and no more (until a sequel), but it doesn't really matter to the mass market that they're targeting here. Those 30 games represents a more robust library than most people ever would have had for their NES back in the day, and a more robust library than 90% of people today would end up with if it were up to them to pick out titles to buy and download individually.

It's a slight disappointment for us enthusiasts, but it's more than enough for the mass market.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the SNES version of this, since those games are so much more robust and large. 30 top SNES games for that $60 impulse price would be an absolute steal.

I mean the more and more I think about it, this is REALLY a brilliant move. They are selling this for the price of a full priced game by today's standards. Hell, they could have released all these games on a WiiU disk and charged $60 and people probably would have bought it. This, however, is a stand alone console that ANYONE can buy. And conveniently, it launches a few months before the NX. The press this will get them during the holidays alone is going to be great.

packy34

"Note that an AC adapter for the USB cable is required to play the system but is not included in the packaging."

Europe isn't getting a plug packed in the box. US is. If you're in Europe, you'll need your own USB-compatible power source.

SuperSah

Banned
You mean it already comes with one and you just need to buy another one? If so, fine, i'll eat that cost and buy 2 extra. That's even better cause i didn't think they would include a controller.

Shit...Nintendo, this is the best thing you've done for me since paying for development of Bayonetta.

With NX on the horizon, i can kinda feel myself getting back into the Nintendo groove after being burnt on Wii U

Yup, system comes with one and extra is available for £10/$10.

GeeDuhb

This is just for Europe, if I am not mistaken. There is always issues with Nintendo and power adapters over there. Their 3DS' do not include them either.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

Europe doesn't have a standard plug. Germany is different to UK, to Switzerland, etc, etc. Instead of Nintendo packing 30 versions of the same product for different regions, they just don't include it and make life easier for themselves.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Cute console but totally uninteresting lineup. Really a testament ta how many times these games have been re-released an even remade in so many different forms that such a list just kinda leaves a blah impression on me. Its just like "oh. these games again".

Totally surprised they got 3rd party stuff and managed to restrain themselves by not putting Urban Champion in there lol. Why no Dragon Warrior though? C'mon, Nintendo published those and got SE onboard for this!

HeySeuss

I saw this on my Facebook feed a couple times today and just thought it was spam bullshit. Turns out it's legit and the games list is really solid!

Did they delay the NX to push this out and make a mint for Xmas while buying time to cook the NX games a little longer? Because that's a fucking solid plan considering retro is so in right now. This thing is going to sell like gangbusters.

Sanjuro

There is a shocking amount of people who don't play video games who expressed their desire for this console on my Facebook today.

robochimp

Cute console but totally uninteresting lineup. Really a testament ta how many times these games have been re-released an even remade in so many different forms that such a list just kinda leaves a blah impression on me. Its just like "oh. these games again"

Ok I'll bite, how many times have they been re-released or remade? I'm not really seeing it.

Inuhanyou

Yup, system comes with one and extra is available for £10/$10.

YES!

Oh my god...i don't care if i sound like a fanboy...i feel like this is Nintendo finally aknowledging an untapped market and thinking outside of their usual box.

Old nintendo would have NEVER done something like this in an official capcity, maybe released a collection on Wii U and called it a day, but this new Nintendo is exploring different types of things, and i love it, i hope it continues

HeySeuss

There is a shocking amount of people who don't play video games who expressed their desire for this console on my Facebook today.

Yep this isn't targeted for gamers like us. It's a nostalgia trip for the 30 somethings that grew up with this stuff. This will be the hot gift for Xmas.

And of course we'll buy it just the same.

Somnid

My sister, who has only ever put effort into playing Kirby Super Star and Mario Party, texted my saying she wants one.

Plaguefox

Europe isn't getting a plug packed in the box. US is. If you're in Europe, you'll need your own USB-compatible power source.
I bolded the "for" but I'm still not sure what an AC adapter for a USB cable is. But it kind of sounds like you did explain it properly so thanks everyone anyway. :)

Wait and see for me to see how the nes games will actually output in hdmi, also since it's not original hardware but emulation there will probably have some emulation artifacts like the dark filter, etc.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Wait and see for me to see how the nes games will actually output in hdmi, also since it's not original hardware but emulation there will probably have some emulation artifacts like the dark filter, etc.
Oh I guarantee this will be the typical Nintendo shitty VC picture quality.

Would be a nice surprise if it output more or less properly (with choice of scanlines/blurring/crispness and no overly dark image), but I'm not holding my breath.

breadtruck

Thats sweet!

I wonder if they will follow what Atari has been doing with their Flashback console, and every couple years bring out a new one with more/different games.

Nerrel

I'm really curious about how this thing's library is supposed to work. Can you download more games in any way, or is it just locked to 30? If it's permanently just a 30 game system... that's lame. Hopefully the games look better than the Wii U's terrible NES emulation... I'm assuming it's basically going to be like an NES modded with HDMI out, the way a lot of modders have done over the years.

If GAF had existed in the 1980's I can see everybody having mullets and talking about Michael Jacksons transformation, and discussion who's better Kit from knight rider or Airwolf :p

Fuck that's rad. We didn't appreciate it when we had it.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Yep this isn't targeted for gamers like us. It's a nostalgia trip for the 30 somethings that grew up with this stuff. This will be the hot gift for Xmas.

Every nephew in America is getting one of these for Christmas whether they ask for it or not.

I'm really curious about how this thing's library is supposed to work. Can you download more games in any way, or is it just locked to 30? If it's permanently just a 30 game system... that's lame. Hopefully the games look better than the Wii U's terrible NES emulation... I'm assuming it's basically going to be like an NES modded with HDMI out, the way a lot of modders have done over the years.

Fuck that's rad. We didn't appreciate it when we had it.

There's save states, zero chances of it being a modded nes.

That's a clever move from Nintendo. They've been gone from the public eye for so long, it's time to get everybody remembering the Nintendo brand and awaiting what they have next with some hype. And not just the few million who watch Nintendo Directs.

The Virtual Console is still pretty complicated to get to - another app store account to make, another list of shit to buy. A dedicated piece of hardware with things simplified is a great move. Here you go, kids, everything you need in one box. Hell yeah. It's cheap enough that tons of people will buy them.

I don't think I'll buy one myself, though I'd love to see a SNES edition of this.

vareon

To me this is much better as a gift. I rarely play VC NES games, but if you know a friend or family who used to play NES and remembered it fondly, $60 for a functional mini NES with nostalgia form factor is a really nice little gift.

RedBoot

Sweet!

Though I'd swap out Castlevania 2 for Castlevania 3.

The lineup on this thing is way better than I would have ever expected it to be...but if I could change one thing, yeah, it would be this. I guess they thought it would be weird to have the first and third game in a series on there. Of course, we have Mega Man 2 and Double Dragon 2...

YaBish

So what games would people like to see for the inevitable mini SNES? Personally, I'd like to see:
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
NBA Jam
Donkey Kong Country
Link to the Past
Earthbound
Super Castlevania

I would buy that console for $100+ easily, even if it only had those games.

See? This isn't for us. People prattling on about SD cards and WiFi connections to the eShop are just totally and completely missing the point.

Inuhanyou

So what games would people like to see for the inevitable mini SNES? Personally, I'd like to see:
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
NBA Jam
Donkey Kong Country
Link to the Past
Earthbound
Super Castlevania

I would buy that console for $100+ easily, even if it only had those games.

Add

FF6
Batman Returns
Street Fighter 2

I'm assuming it's basically going to be like an NES modded with HDMI out, the way a lot of modders have done over the years.

Not at $60.

It'll be custom hardware. The silicon of an HDMI-modded NES has a whole bunch of circuitry that isn't needed in this thing, it would drive the cost up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom