• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmax3901

A thought: this was not leaked. Like, in the slightest. Presumably manufacture has already begun and still we knew nothing of it.

Food for thought re NX.

HeySeuss

See? This isn't for us. People prattling on about SD cards and WiFi connections to the eShop are just totally and completely missing the point.

Yep this is for the older crowd and casuals that have no idea what the eshop is. I wonder what the UK will look like. Someone suggested that it might simply be a gutted Wii and they might be right. I bet it used the same Wii interface considering its compatible with Wii controllers (unless I misread the article).

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Ok I'll bite, how many times have they been re-released or remade? I'm not really seeing it.
Not gonna go through the whole list but just ta start with 9 of these were playable within the original Animal Crossing! 6 of 'em were available for the GBA's e-reader (remember that?) 14 of these were straightup released on the GBA under its NES Classics line!

Mario/2/3 were remade on the SNES, ported on the GBA, released on each Virtual Console. SMB had a truly great GBC port for that matter!

Mega Man 2 got remade on the Genesis, rereleased on the original Playstation, put on PSN, released in collections on the GC/PS2/3DS/PS4/XBONE/PC...

Metroid was an unlockable bonus game within its GBA remake and put out on all the VC's.

Final Fantasy was remade on GBA and PSP. Had versions on MSX2, Wonderswan Color, Mobile, and a 3DS VC release apparently.

Gradius got a crapload of ports! Most recently it became available on PS4.

Galaga also got a tonnnnn of ports/remakes across many different systems.

Pac-Man... dun even gotta go there lol.

Yep this is for the older crowd and casuals that have no idea what the eshop is. I wonder what the UK will look like. Someone suggested that it might simply be a gutted Wii and they might be right. I bet it used the same Wii interface considering its compatible with Wii controllers (unless I misread the article).

I'm still leaning towards something more generic. Wii-on-a-chip means a lot of GPU silicon that isn't needed at all, and presumably AMD royalties that they'd want to avoid in a device that needs to have a really, really low hardware cost.

The game list is pretty good, but why Mega Man 2 specifically and not 1 and 3 as well?

Why pay Capcom royalties on three games when you can pay one? It's going to sell just as well anyway.

The game list is pretty good, but why Mega Man 2 specifically and not 1 and 3 as well?

Megaman 2 is the most popular nes Megaman (I think)

Shoulda been MM3 since its the better game instead of reinforcing the MM2 is the bestest ever meme >.>

I'm playing MM legacy collection, holy balls MM3 is hard as fuck compared to 2. I still haven't beat quick man he's insane.

Damn. That really brings up the dread that this thing will somehow be running the Wii U VC versions on simpler hardware.

Yup that's why it's wait and see for me. If it's emulation I already have tons of devices that can run NES games in my living room. Xbox OG, Dreamcast, Wii...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
A thought: this was not leaked. Like, in the slightest. Presumably manufacture has already begun and still we knew nothing of it.

Food for thought re NX.
Manufacturing another Famiclone in China probably doesn't set off many alarm bells ;)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I'm playing MM legacy collection, holy balls MM3 is hard as fuck compared to 2. I still haven't beat quick man he's insane.
Burn those etanks! Wily's Castle is both pretty easy and hands a bunch more out like candy iirc. MM3 overall is harder kinda but ya etanks save through game overs and ya can get up to 9 instead of 2's limit off 4!

It should've been MM1 and MM2 since those are the best ones on the NES. MM3 they can skip. ;)
Noooo! But sliding and Protoman and better weapons and Rush and better OST!! 3/4/5/6 are all better then 2. The series didn't decline in quality people just got burnt out.

entremet

The naming sounds like they can release other versions.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES
Nintendo Classic Mini - SNES

And so on.

Might as well with the huge retro market and Nintendo is not seeing any of that paper since it's second hand.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Don't bring up N64 mini, jesus guys. Playing XG2, TUrok 2, Goldeneye, F Zero X, Super Mario 64 on that thing in 16:9? Jesus.

Hell i'd take 720p

Burn those etanks! Wily's Castle is both pretty easy and hands a bunch more out like candy iirc. MM3 overall is harder kinda but ya etanks save through game overs and ya can get up to 9 instead of 2's limit off 4!

Eh I forgot about etanks, yeah I will try to use those next time

It's amazing how much more appealing and far reaching Nintendo's brand and IPs can be when you remove that $200-300 hardware barrier to entry. Hope Nintendo is taking the right lessons from this.

The lesson seems to be that Nintendo should use many different avenues to sell their products. Whether that's dedicated hardware, mobile, cheap plug-and-play devices, merchandising, etc.

Maybe one day it'll even mean "release our games on Sony and MS hardware and PC" but I think it's fairly clear that they aren't at that point yet.

RedBoot

Why pay Capcom royalties on three games when you can pay one? It's going to sell just as well anyway.

There's a clear focus on variety in the 3rd party games, too. Still kind of surprised they tossed two Castlevanias on there, but I guess that's what they had to do since we never got any NES Goemon games in the US.

Too bad Konami never made any sort of well-received stealth-action game for the NES. Something like that would have been nice.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked

And so on.

Might as well with the huge retro market and Nintendo is not seeing any of that paper since it's second hand.
Can I has

Nintendo Classics Mini - Master System
Nintendo Classics Mini - Genesis

?? Stuff under Sega's name never sells but if they worked with Nintendo...

RedSwirl

So what happened to Contra 1? Why can't anybody re-release it. It's not on this thing (but Super C is), and Contra 1 has never been on Virtual Console.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The lesson seems to be that Nintendo should use many different avenues to sell their products. Whether that's dedicated hardware, mobile, cheap plug-and-play devices, merchandising, etc.

Maybe one day it'll even mean "release our games on Sony and MS hardware and PC" but I think it's fairly clear that they aren't at that point yet.

I'm sorry if i make a controversial statement right now, i just have to say it...Nintendo have proved recently more than ever that their franchises are far bigger than any hardware they could possibly chain them to.

The whole world would explode if they ever went third party, they would shoot to #1 overnight of any other single publisher just on the quality of their games alone.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'm sorry if i make a controversial statement right now, i just have to say it...Nintendo have proved recently more than ever that their franchises are far bigger than any hardware they could possibly chain them to.

The whole world would explode if they ever went third party, they would shoot to #1 overnight of any other single publisher just on the quality of their games alone.

Pretty sure they're already #1, or at least were recently.

Wow...this seems really out of left field, not something I'd expect Nintendo to ever release. I hope it's not running an emulator though.

I'm surprised to see non-Nintendo IPs on there, but no Bionic Commando is disappointing. Zelda II though..they know what's good.

KingBroly

Banned

You're assuming their games would maintain quality though. You're also assuming their game variety would stay the same. They would not. It's been proven time and again, when a manufacturer goes third party, quality and variety are the first things to go.

BocoDragon

I think going third party is always a possibility they have in their back pocket. They'll just hold off on it as long as possible.

You're assuming their games would maintain quality though. You're also assuming their game variety would stay the same. They would not. It's been proven time and again, when a manufacturer goes third party, quality and variety are the first things to go.
What's "time and again" exactly?

I think you're just talking about Sega. And why would they become like Sega and not Bethesda, Ubisoft or Rockstar?

That might very well be true and it may be something they do in the future.

However, considering they have a huge hardware team and the infrastructure to make new consoles a reality, they will likely continue to invest at least a part of their capital into that area for the foreseeable future.

I think going third party is always a possibility they have in their back pocket. They'll just hold off on it as long as possible.

So yeah, basically this.

Ahasverus

No Castlevania 3 though. Kidz these days had it too easy with Super model Alucard, they need to see him before the surgeon visit

Cv3_alucard.jpg

vix

I want this so badly.

And I want an SNES version so badly.

But if I had to settle with just this, I'd be fine with that.

I don't even think they need to get to that point but I agree.

KingBroly

Banned

What's "time and again" exactly?

I think you're just talking about Sega. And why would they become like Sega and not Bethesda, Ubisoft or Rockstar?

Sega, Atari, Hudson. All makers of hardware that fell off into third party land, and when they did, their game quality and variety took a massive hit. It's been consistently proven and there's no reason to think it wouldn't happen to Nintendo as well.

I want this so badly.

And I want an SNES version so badly.

But if I had to settle with just this, I'd be fine with that.

Come to Retro GAF, the water is fine. If you really want to use a flatscreen, the scalers that take 240p from classic consoles and turn it into HDMI with simulated scanlines are getting better and cheaper.

StereoVsn

Come to Retro GAF, the water is fine. If you really want to use a flatscreen, the scalers that take 240p from classic consoles and turn it into HDMI with simulated scanlines are getting better and cheaper.
Isn't framemeister the only good one pretty much? And that's $350ish.

BocoDragon

Sega, Atari, Hudson. All makers of hardware that fell off into third party land, and when they did, their game quality and variety took a massive hit. It's been consistently proven and there's no reason to think it wouldn't happen to Nintendo as well.
So the most recent example is 16 years ago. I wouldn't draw a conclusion from it. Businesses in other industries successfully pivot all the time.

And so on.

The US version has a different name (NES Classic Edition) but I guess the naming could still work.

kaydigi

So what games would people like to see for the inevitable mini SNES? Personally, I'd like to see:
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
NBA Jam
Donkey Kong Country
Link to the Past
Earthbound
Super Castlevania

I would buy that console for $100+ easily, even if it only had those games.

add

Contra 3
Star Fox
Super Mario RPG
Turtles In Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom