• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting two of those controllers for sure. Mario will finally feel right again. Considering Nintendo won't restock the Gamecube adapters sufficiently, I'll probably pre-order (this is the company that gave us the Ness amiibo nonsense)

Nanashrew

Banned
So the most recent example is 16 years ago. I wouldn't draw a conclusion from it. Businesses in other industries successfully pivot all the time.

We also don't see those or any of the hardware companies making a 1st party product for their retro games like this.

This product, you're still buying Nintendo's hardware. I do one day see Nintendo making a retro box now, and you'd still be buying their hardware for VC titles.

Ok, this part of the Q&A and basically the whole USB thing has me confused:

Does it have a USB port?

Technically, yes, but that port is only used to power the system with the included AC adapter.

I was under the impression that the cord which I plug into the device has to plug into a USB, which is why people were talking about TVs having USB ports. Now I know at least one end of the AC adapter is USB, and that it plugs into the NES. What is the other end of the adapter? Is it also USB? Or does it go into a power socket like a traditional adapter?

Isn't framemeister the only good one pretty much? And that's $350ish.

The OSSC is better in many ways and around half that, just has limited availability right now.

Definitely. The price even seems to be about where you'd expect a screenless 2DS jerry-rigged into an NES to end up...

If they use the 3DS/2DS VC emulator for NES, I sure hope they have it output 1:1 to the scaler, aka 256x240 instead of 320x240. The latter causes some icky artifacts which would only be worse if then scaled up once more.

Ok, this part of the Q&A and basically the whole USB thing has me confused:

Does it have a USB port?

Technically, yes, but that port is only used to power the system with the included AC adapter.

I was under the impression that the cord which I plug into the device has to plug into a USB, which is why people were talking about TVs having USB ports. Now I know at least one end of the AC adapter is USB, and that it plugs into the NES. What is the other end of the adapter? Is it also USB? Or does it go into a power socket like a traditional adapter?

The end you plug into system will be USB-mini, or USB C or something.

The end you plug into the wall wart will be USB A.

dcx4610

I just don't understand the excitement. Where were the threads for the "Sega" Model 4? The Atari Flashback?

Nintendo may be licensing it but I fully expect it to be SoC rather than custom hardware. The emulation will be spotty and of course, you can't add more games.

Seems like a novelty item. I admit it LOOKS cool but it's for specifically for people that got suckered into the other all-in-one systems.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just don't understand the excitement. Where were the threads for the "Sega' Model 4? The Atari Flashback?

Nintendo may be licensing it but I fully expect it to be SoC rather than custom hardware. The emulation will be spotty and of course, you can't add more games.

Seems like a novelty item. I admit it LOOKS cool but it's for specifically for people that got suckered into the other all-in-one systems.
Logically I think you're right.

But it's Nintendo. They have a special pull on our hearts and wallets.

Even someone like Sony releasing a mini console that can play PS1 games wouldn't make as much waves (oh wait.. That happened. PSTV)

JayBabay

Even someone like Sony releasing a mini console that can play PS1 games wouldn't make as much waves (oh wait.. That happened. PSTV)

If they included 30 games with it and made those its main marketing point then you can be sure people would have gone wild for that as well.

MacTag

Banned
I just don't understand the excitement. Where were the threads for the "Sega" Model 4? The Atari Flashback?

Nintendo isn't licensing this, it's an NCL project and Treehouse staff are working on it. Nothing at all like those 3rd party licensed Sega and Atari microconsoles.

Nanashrew

Banned

PSTV was a rebranded Vita TV. That's the issue with that. If it was made to look like a PS1, came with PS1 games and sold that it's for PS1 games like the NES Mini is doing, I would have been much more excited.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
PSTV was a rebranded Vita TV. That's the issue with that. If it was made to look like a PS1, came with PS1 games and sold that it's for PS1 games like the NES Mini is doing, I would have been much more excited.
That's probably true.

ElRenoRaven

So yea US amazon has a link to that one page found earlier on their main page saying click here for more info. So yea looks like that's going to be the page to preorder it on once it goes live.

Here, here and here. There are probably more, but that's what I could pull from the first page of Google.

Sega (AtGames) have been putting out their plug 'n play Mega Drive/Master System devices for like ten years now, and they've always suffered from horrendous audio.

It's pretty easy to see why people are keen on Nintendo themselves getting behind one of these.

Nintenleo

Getting it day one. A really sweet tiny piece of hardware. And that selection! Man, they really nailed it. A Mini SNES would be crazy...Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario All Stars, A Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country trilogy, Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, Earthbound, F-Zero, Super Mario RPG...and without even counting all the third-party titles.

Fou-Lu

For the price this is so freaking cool. I hope we get SNES, N64 and maybe even GCN versions. Maybe a 'classics' handheld that has the best GB, GBC and GBA games?

So what games would people like to see for the inevitable mini SNES? Personally, I'd like to see:
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
NBA Jam
Donkey Kong Country
Link to the Past
Earthbound
Super Castlevania

I would buy that console for $100+ easily, even if it only had those games.

Just give me Super Mario World, FZero, Mario Kart, Link to the Past and I'll pay whatever

1upmuffin

For the price this is so freaking cool. I hope we get SNES, N64 and maybe even GCN versions. Maybe a 'classics' handheld that has the best GB, GBC and GBA games?

I would get a Nintendo Classics Handheld day 1 (I mean I'm gonna get the Classic Mini NES day 1 as well, but still...).

Donkey Kong 94, Mole Mania, Links Awakening, Wario Land 1-3, Mario land 1-2, Pokemon Blue, Tetris, Metroid 2, etc.

SRG01

Why pay Capcom royalties on three games when you can pay one? It's going to sell just as well anyway.

That's the one people talk about the most.

2 is considered to be the best one.

Megaman 2 is the most popular nes Megaman (I think)

It should've been MM1 and MM2 since those are the best ones on the NES. MM3 they can skip. ;)

I learn something new every day -- that MM2 was the most popular! My fondest memories are of MM3 though :p

Toparaman

Banned
If and only if the emulation is close to damn-accurate, and the controller is close to damn-accurate, I will be getting this for sure.

And if you ever need to step away from the NES Classic Edition in the middle of a tough level (or take a break to call one of Nintendo’s helpful Game Counselors*), don’t worry about losing any hard-earned progress. Each game has multiple suspend points, so you can start where you left off at a later time, no passwords needed.

Much needed.

If they eventually start selling multiple editions of this that include different sets of games, I hope they continue to sell all past models on their official online store. It'd suck if this particular set was only available temporarily at retail. Some of the best games ever made are on it.

Nintendo isn't licensing this, it's an NCL project and Treehouse staff are working on it.

Has this been confirmed?

I mean, I totally believe it, but I haven't read anything about who's actually developing this thing.

One thing that's really cool about this is that each game has multiple suspend points. Not even the Virtual Console has this.

vareon

People make purchases based on emotional, not rational, reasons. This one hits all the right cord with the right people.

RedSwirl

This seems to only really make sense for people not already invested in Nintendo hardware... which is probably most people.

I personally don't think I need one because I'm already playing a lot of Virtual Console on both Wii U and 3DS, and I still own an actual NES on which I still have unplayed games.

I see this as mainly being aimed at the mainstream audience that still has nostalgia for the NES but probably doesn't even know what a Wii U is. For hardcore Nintendo console owners it's little more than a really good deal on 30 NES games. I'd bite if this was a bundle on Virtual Console. On some level this is another admission of the Wii U's failure because Nintendo is relying on new hardware to sell its games.

I wonder if this says anything about Nintendo's ambitions for Virtual Console on the NX, if it's even going to try. Honestly one of my most wanted features for the NX is just the ability to get cross-buy and cross-save for VC games between a console and a handheld.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
If they eventually start selling multiple editions of this that include different sets of games, I hope they continue to sell all past models on their official online store. It'd suck if this particular set was only available temporarily at retail. Some of the best games ever made are on it.
Doubt they'd make another NES one, it'd have ta be mostly 3rd Party if so. Nintendo put their biggest names & games on this one. Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid, heck even Kirby is there. What would a second one of these lead with? Urban Champion? Golf? Pinball? Soccer? DK3? DK Jr Math? Seems like a one & done type of deal.

StereoVsn

Here, here and here. There are probably more, but that's what I could pull from the first page of Google.

Sega (AtGames) have been putting out their plug 'n play Mega Drive/Master System devices for like ten years now, and they've always suffered from horrendous audio.

It's pretty easy to see why people are keen on Nintendo themselves getting behind one of these.

Terrible audio, iffy build quality, laggy wireless controllers, inability to save, mediocre included games (40 sega ones don't even have phantasy star for god's sake and the 40 homebrew ones plane suck). Oh, and it's freaking composite only.

If Sega (not some Chinese knockoff) came out with a $60 retro console that could use OG sega genesis controllers (and included one) and came with 30 great games, HDMI output and stereo sound, you bet everyone would be talking about it here.

I SO want more of these. Especially the N64 with games like:

Super Mario 64
Donkey Kong 64
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Diddy Kong Racing
F-Zero X
Mario Kart 64
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Kirby 64
Pokemon Puzzle League
Pokemon Snap (the Stadiums and Hey You Pikachu would be VERY difficult without work-arounds)
Excitebike 64
Pilotwings 64
Super Smash Bros

Most are on the Wii and Wii U VC, but still. If these would axe the dark filter and whatnot, then DO IT! :p

Also, i would LOVE IT if Nintendo worked with Sega to make legit Master System and Genesis Minis. if only. :p

RPGamer92

Banned
I SO want more of these. Especially the N64 with games like:

Super Mario 64
Donkey Kong 64
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Diddy Kong Racing
F-Zero X
Mario Kart 64
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Kirby 64
Pokemon Puzzle League
Pokemon Snap (the Stadiums and Hey You Pikachu would be VERY difficult without work-arounds)
Excitebike 64
Pilotwings 64
Super Smash Bros

Most are on the Wii and Wii U VC, but still. If these would axe the dark filter and whatnot, then DO IT! :p
Rare games would not be on this.

1upmuffin

Yeah I hope this isn't a limited time thing.

Also, I hope if they do make multiple editions they have some way to distinguish between them, would be frustrating to have 2 identical gray boxes on a shelf and have to guess which ones have which games.

For hardcore Nintendo console owners it's little more than a really good deal on 30 NES games. I'd bite if this was a bundle on Virtual Console.

For Nintendo fans like me that only buy physically, not digitally, this product is a dream come true. I avoid buying digitally on Nintendo platforms so I'd been hoping for a physical VC collection release for a long time now and this is pretty much that. The included controller is a bonus.

Doubt they'd make another NES one, it'd have ta be mostly 3rd Party if so. Nintendo put their biggest names & games on this one. Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid, heck even Kirby is there. What would a second one of these lead with? Urban Champion? Golf? Pinball? Soccer? DK3? DK Jr Math? Seems like a one & done type of deal.

Good point, though maybe they'll eventually release an improved version that includes more games in addition to these 30. As in, it'll include all of these, and a few more that missed their chance the first time around.

The NOA page is up now: http://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic

There may be hope for those of us hoping for future additional mini "consoles" (SNES, etc.) - I notice they have a "Nintendo Classics" logo on the bottom of the page - maybe this is going to become a new "line" of sorts?

8Of69tAm.png

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Good point, though maybe they'll eventually release an improved version that includes more games in addition to these 30. As in, it'll include all of these, and a few more that missed their chance the first time around.
Original 30 + 30 more would be more enticing especially if it didn't shoot the price up far. Maybe they could throw Earthbound Beginnings on it? Not a mainstream draw but hey. Being able ta play that and the Dragon Warriors for the first time could get me onboard!

Anyone else notice the d-pad is slightly different? Kinda looks like it bows in a little.

nes-classic-edition-controller.png

That would be for the best though. NES-callus affected many children in my youth. The original controller had diamond tipped edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom