• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCX

Shitty half assed version of what they should have released. I mean does it honestly use wired controllers? Give me a fucking break. I mean it's cute but there's no reason they couldn't have done a Virtual Console streaming stick with internal storage that runs all the old games and also works with NNID. It should have just come with a voucher for the eShop with some credit, I don't want to rebuy games I already own on VC and I already own most of the games on that list and the ones I don't I give zero fucks about. It'll make a great holiday gift though!
Obviously the thing is not designed for a HC retro player like you.

It's a mass market nostalgia product that's as cheap and as easy to use as possible. It's "half assed" for a reason, you just plug it in and play, aka no need for vouchers, downloads, firmware updates, etc.

I'm happy about the lack of online. No firmware 'stability' updates, no DRM, no cartridge/disk checks, no loading a bloated UI (hopefully!). The multiple save states are very cool.

It would be nice to have the possibility to add an expansion cart with more games, but the simplicity of this is really welcomed.

It's definitely cheaper than buying them all individually from the Wii U Virtual Console... and the wired NES replica controllers is preferable to me than using Wii U Pro controllers or horrible Wii Remote expansion dongle shenanigans.

I just hope it runs at 60hz in PAL regions....

Completely agree. The less we have to wait between pressing the power button and getting into the actual game, the better. That's how it always was in the cartridge era. I miss that simplicity. :(

Shitty half assed version of what they should have released. I mean does it honestly use wired controllers? Give me a fucking break. I mean it's cute but there's no reason they couldn't have done a Virtual Console streaming stick with internal storage that runs all the old games and also works with NNID. It should have just come with a voucher for the eShop with some credit, I don't want to rebuy games I already own on VC and I already own most of the games on that list and the ones I don't I give zero fucks about. It'll make a great holiday gift though!

Calm down, friend. You'll pop a blood vessel.

Toparaman

Banned
I am legitimately excited about this. Never had a chance to own a NES as a kid. I know this isn't quite the same, but it's a modern equivalent thanks to the HDMI and restore points.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Fuck, I need this. Amazing, every NES game I need. Obiviously there are a lot that are now on 354241 Nintendo Systems, but why not. Its so cheap.

Agent X

I am legitimately excited about this. Never had a chance to own a NES as a kid. I know this isn't quite the same, but it's a modern equivalent thanks to the HDMI and restore points.

I'm with you on this. I never owned an NES, but I think I'm going to have to get one of these machines. It really looks like a solid, well thought out package.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Easy solution, dont buy it.

Vinland

Banned

Obviously this product isn't aimed at you. It is also not as easy, legally speaking, to have an emulator stick as you put it. Rest assured Nintendo legal is consulted when liscensing is involved especially in Japan and especially when some companies holding rights are not the original makers.

This looks cool and I want to pre-order it, but it seems so much cheaper to make a Pi console.

If you want to make a Pi console, feel free man. I have one, yet I would still buy this for the novelty, and also because my family DOES NOT know how to make a Pi console and never take up an offer to use mine so this is essentially the easy way to get old games to them.

shingi70

Banned
If you want to make a Pi console, feel free man. I have one, yet I would still buy this for the novelty, and also because my family DOES NOT know how to make a Pi console and never take up an offer to use mine so this is essentially the easy way to get old games to them.

Makes sense, thinking of still buying one of these for the holiday season and surprise my older family twh grew up the nes (I was a PS1/N64 era kid.)

gpn

I'm definitely in for one of these. I'm glad it's supports the Wii classic controller since I don't know if my hands can handle the NES controller anymore.

nullset2

Silly nintendo, I had a superior product to that 15 years ago with 9999 games in one, and it's now somewhere in my storage:

Polystation.jpg

I was super hyped to see this....then I realized I'd much rather have a super nintendo. Just more my age range. I hope they drop one also!

Magwik

Banned
I wish this was satire but I know deep down its not

poodaddy

My mom will freak her shit when she gets this for her birthday this year. Wish I could be there when she opens the mail. The woman was obsessed with NES and talks about it all the time, and goddamn was she good at Dr Mario. Good guy Nintendo bringing me closer to my mother haha.

Suzzopher

The only reason this exists. It's not for my hardcore buys all VC releases. It's a gift item.

mj1108

This is bound to end up being one of, if not THE hottest gift item this Christmas.

At $60, the question isn't how many they can sell, it's how many can they manufacture?

Yusaku

This is smart business by Nintendo. The Wii U is basically dead, so they need something out this holiday that can bring in some revenue and buy time until the NX.

Odrion

Banned
I don't say this a lot, because it's pretty crude. But a re-release of the Gameboy in any form would make me cum buckets. Buckets. Dozens of them.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
SNES one with HDMI, please Nintendo

sfedai0

Banned
I was really ready to buy this day one but I realize that was just the hype talking. My childhood really started with SNES so Im gonna wait for that instead.

Omadahl

Banned
I would consider getting one of these, but it's more tempting to just build a raspberry pi emulator so I can play Cobra Triangle with my dad.

NES was my first console but I don't have any real fondness with it and it's a bit out of my impulse buy price range. However, if they made a SNES one I'd be all over that immediately and would probably pay higher than what this one is retailing for.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Finally cashing in on that Chinese bootleg market, eh?

That's a great collection. It could use Captain Skyhawk and Tetris, but otherwise pretty damn solid.

Looking at the list of games this is perfect for my dad, only thing missing is Tetris....well fair enough.

The circle will close now that my parents will get that for christmas after they bought it for christmas years ago for myself :)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I just hope this means the price of NES games on VC will reduce. The "maintains the value of Nintendo title" argument, which I admittedly subscribed to in the past, no longer holds. It seems insane that you can buy hardware with 30 games far cheaper than you can buy those 30 games on Wii U.

It's not FOR you, dude. Simple as that. It's a great deal for people who have no NES or Virtual Console-compatible device at all. And even for people with a Wii, this is HDMI-out and cheaper per game ($2), and compatible with Classic Controllers.

"Does it honestly use wired controllers?" Of course! That's A) part of the nostalgia, and B) a way they're keeping the cost down. It's only $60 for 30 solid NES games. Are you expecting them to eat all game licensing fees, add Bluetooth for controllers and WiFi for an eShop, a proper cart slot, an SD memory expansion slot and still sell it for something under $100? This is an emulator box with a lot of decent-to-great games for casual buyers who don't want to buy into the Virtual Console landscape, not an enthusiast's 1985-accurate FPGA NES reproduction with an HDMI mod, and it's only $60!

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

Wireless controllers? eShop? Can I interest you in a Wii U?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
If only it had FF2....I wasn't a big NES guy (Master system was so much better heh)but that is the only game I would want that isn't on the list

Kindekuma

Banned
How cool! I have a feeling this will sell really well, I can imagine a lot of consumers who aren't on board with modern gaming but had an NES during that era might pick it up.

30 games and the hardware for that price is a steal considering how much you would have to pay for all of the games on the Wii U eShop.

Also, SNES version please!!

RedSwirl

I kind of agree with this. Even if it's targeting the casual audience, I think Nintendo should have tried to do a sort of cheap Virtual Console box. Streaming is probably a waste of bandwidth for games that small.

Maybe the reason it isn't is because of how VC currently works -- it has to retrofit the games again for each new piece of hardware it releases which is why VC started from square one on the Wii U and 3DS. Maybe if this used recycled Wii or 3DS parts it could use the already-released VC games.

Oh it should still come packed with games to entice customers, but I think it would be better if when they turned it on they got an app store-like portal through which they could buy more games. At least NES, SNES, Genesis, and Game Boy games.

Better yet, it could have connected to the same VC the NX would (hopefully) eventually use, essentially offering the casuals a really cheap way to buy into the NX platform. That's what's good about shared platforms like that, Nintendo could theoretically make different pieces of hardware for different audiences, all plugging into the same software ecosystem.

TheShocker

NES was my first console but I don't have any real fondness with it and it's a bit out of my impulse buy price range. However, if they made a SNES one I'd be all over that immediately and would probably pay higher than what this one is retailing for.
I just said this, almost verbatim, to a friend about an hour ago.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

I think its cool that you can use the nes controllers on the Wii/Wii U and vice versa. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom