• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if there was even a point to this. NES games are easy and nearly perfect in terms of emulation. Seems like a lazy cash grab considering we already have the Virtual Console, and most likely have the technology to emulate thousands of NES games on PC.

I wonder if there was even a point to this. NES games are easy and nearly perfect in terms of emulation. Seems like a lazy cash grab considering we already have the Virtual Console, and most likely have the technology to emulate thousands of NES games on PC.

Casual market that's into stocking stuffer plug and play games. But official branding trumps 3rd party knock offs.

Anyone else notice the d-pad is slightly different? Kinda looks like it bows in a little.

nes-classic-edition-controller.png

That would be for the best though. NES-callus affected many children in my youth. The original controller had diamond tipped edges.

Well they've cosmetically altered the console itself to make it a mini, I have no problem with this change, and yeah it will probably feel better. It's a modern take on a classic, just like the mini console itself. Fuck Nintendo really seems to have hit everything out of the park here. Game selection is amazing including 3rd party games, console is cute as hell, the price is amazing, shit even the box art is on-point. I can't find one thing to fault them for aside from not including a power cable in the UK, which I don't get at all.

N64 Classic would be incredible.

I'd say based on just the reaction to this announcement, if they had already drafted a plan to develop or produce both a SNES and N64 classic, it's being finalized for production. This NES will kill it this holiday.

Well, you seemed to have completely missed the point of this thing.

So is this an official nintendo product? or did they outsource the NES brand to some random company?

edit: nevermind, i see that its on Nintendos webpage now

big_erk

This argument amuses me. This is a standalone console, with a built-in library of classic games. It doesn't require a Wii U or a PC. It doesn't require any knowledge of emulation software. It's simply plug and play. They will sell a ton of these. I'll be the first in line.

I also find it funny that when a company tries to make money off of their properties it's called a cash grab. Of course it's a cash grab, every move any business makes is a cash grab. They aren't in it for the feels.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
At least its cheaper than their earlier attempts! E-Reader NES games were $5 a pop, and NES Classics on GBA carts were $20 each!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
So what games would people like to see for the inevitable mini SNES? Personally, I'd like to see:
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
NBA Jam
Donkey Kong Country
Link to the Past
Earthbound
Super Castlevania

I would buy that console for $100+ easily, even if it only had those games.
Aiming at 30:
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Zelda LTTP
Super Metroid
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario Kart
Earthbound
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Tetris Attack
Kirby Super Star
Super Punch-out!!
SimCity
F-Zero
StarFox (with better framerate, perhaps?)
Super Castlevania IV
Contra III
Sunset Riders
Axelay
Mega Man X
Super Ghouls & Ghosts
Demon's Crest
Final Fantasy III (VI)
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
R-Type III: The Third Lightning
Super Off-Road
Super Bomberman 2
Actraiser
Zombies Ate my Neighbors

RNzO5v.gif

Wow, what a lineup!

(I agree that NBA Jam would be awesome, but I doubt they could pull off any licensed sports game. Same deal with cartoon licenses, which axes a lot of excellent Konami and Capcom stuff. Mortal Kombat II and/or Street Fighter II would probably be put in there as throwbacks to the then-white-hot fighting genre, but eh, I wish they'd leave those spots for something else, considering they have much better ports out there now.)

turmoil

Banned
I wonder if it will use a z80 processor for 100% perfect HW emulation
It will virtualize it in an ARM

ninja edit: Just checked it, the nes used a 6502.

amnesiac

This is pretty cool. I don't really need it since I'm incredibly happy with my Raspberry Pi for NES, SNES, etc. emulation, but I might jump on it because I love the idea of it and that throwback box art is great. I would buy a mini N64 in a heartbeat, though (since N64 emulation isn't that great and its best games are first party).

Cool little product.

Would obviously be better with:
-Wireless controller/anything other than Wii extension port. It isn't an aesthetically pleasing port. Something shaped similar to Apple's lightning port or microUSB would be much better.

-Online store with game downloads. Charge a few bucks for more roms.

Looking forward to seeing a hardware teardown (Does it use original NES hardware or is this new hardware + software emulation?). Perhaps the home-brew community can make something more of this.

Retronix

This makes so much sense that I'm having a hard time believing this is really Nintendo.

That being said, I would murder for a Nintendo 64 mini.

"Is there a point to this worthless cash grab of a nostalgia bucket faux console that does less than a raspberry pi?" Asked angry man in thread full of people wanting to buy it.

NolbertoS

Isn't there a puzzle that's solved by checking the manual? How will they get around this, or will they just assume people will Google it?

The puzzle involves getting a paper wet or something to reveal a code. Before my pre-Google days, my local blockbuster had it written down inside the box, as it didn't have the manual or box art. Nowadays, I assume kids are gonna use google for every clue.

For anyone wondering: it's obviously software emulation. The thing has multiple restore points per game. Wouldn't be possible on actual NES hardware.

For anyone wondering: it's obviously software emulation. The thing has multiple restore points per game. Wouldn't be possible on actual NES hardware.

Been wondering about that. Restore points would indicate software emulation unless they engineered a really ridiculous dual hardware system.

xk0sm0sx

I was hoping smaller games similar to those in Animal Crossing Gamecube

but man, Final Fantasy, Megaman 2, Double Dragon 2?
They really knocked it off the park.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As fucking hard as they were, who would Nintendo have needed to talk to to get TMNT on there? Konami and Activision?

That port was kind of iconic of that system.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
As fucking hard as they were, who would Nintendo have needed to talk to to get TMNT on there? Konami and Activision?

Probably yeah. And Nickelodeon of course.

I believe they had to work with Ubi Soft behind the scenes when TMNT came to VC, back when they had the license.

This is a Wii in disguise, yes?

Connect using classic controller ports directly on the console instead of into a wii remote.
Boot into a custom firmware and use the Wii's emulation for the games.

Output over HDMI which the Wii never did, I wonder if it'll scale to 1080p or will it output the same 480p signal a Wii does.

I've pre-ordered one on Amazon UK. On the assumption that these are 60hz versions. I'll cancel the instant I hear otherwise.

Shikoba

Awesome. My childhood in a box and I'm all over it. I have to admit I'm a little bummed that it won't expand beyond the games already installed though. I'd be all over releases of minicartridges that contained 3-5 new games from time to time.

Guess Who

Banned
This is a Wii in disguise, yes?

Connect using classic controller ports directly on the console instead of into a wii remote.
Boot into a custom firmware and use the Wii's emulation for the games.

Output over HDMI which the Wii never did, I wonder if it'll scale to 1080p or will it output the same 480p signal a Wii does.

I've pre-ordered one on Amazon UK. On the assumption that these are 60hz versions. I'll cancel the instant I hear otherwise.

My money is on a 2DS in disguise.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Does anyone know if i can connect a wiimote to this? Absolutely not a fan of wired controllers.
Not likely.

That'd be a great option, but they'd have to include an internal Bluetooth receiver for only that purpose.

So, no matter what hardware this is using, it should be theoretically possible to inject roms right? Worst case soldering something? In what case would it be nearly impossible?

I'm getting this regardless, but I can't wait to see what the scene does with this kit.

Pokemaniac

Not particularly interested in this as a standalone device, but those controllers are a bit tempting. More so if I'll be able to use them with NX, too.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...

Eh, it's a bad game, though. Or are you talking about the arcade game port?

Speaking of, I'd gladly have kicked Ice Climbers and Kid Icarus out of the lineup for a couple more third-party spots.

D3VI0US

Shitty half assed version of what they should have released. I mean does it honestly use wired controllers? Give me a fucking break. I mean it's cute but there's no reason they couldn't have done a Virtual Console streaming stick with internal storage that runs all the old games and also works with NNID. It should have just come with a voucher for the eShop with some credit, I don't want to rebuy games I already own on VC and I already own most of the games on that list and the ones I don't I give zero fucks about. It'll make a great holiday gift though!

please come to australia please come to australia holy shit I NEED to play FF1 on a NES pad.

*cough*

Err.. I mean.. It would sure be nice if this came to Oz, with all the games intact.

Radnom

I'm happy about the lack of online. No firmware 'stability' updates, no DRM, no cartridge/disk checks, no loading a bloated UI (hopefully!). The multiple save states are very cool.

It would be nice to have the possibility to add an expansion cart with more games, but the simplicity of this is really welcomed.

It's definitely cheaper than buying them all individually from the Wii U Virtual Console... and the wired NES replica controllers is preferable to me than using Wii U Pro controllers or horrible Wii Remote expansion dongle shenanigans.

I just hope it runs at 60hz in PAL regions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom