• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all of those waiting on Amazon, here's a helpful tip:

On Chrome and Safari (likely other browsers as well), there's an Amazon price tracking extension called 'Keepa'. It adds a nice little graph on every Amazon product page showing price trends, and you can set alerts when a product drops below a target price. This is not only helpful for price alerts, but you can also use it to trigger an on-sale alert for products listed as Coming Soon or Not in Stock. Alerts can be sent via e-mail or with browser/toast pop-up notifications. So for instance, I have it monitoring the NES Classic to alert me when the price "drops" below $10,000, meaning as soon as it's available to order, I will get pinged.

Thought it might be helpful to everyone here. By the way, the Keepa price graph shows that it has never been listed for purchase on Amazon just yet, so that blog a few posts up from me is reporting false information.

Cheers!

Raziel

If, at this point, Nintendo doens't at least announce a specific time pre-orders will go up, that will be a major douche move on their part. I won't be surprised if they don't, but that would be a major douche move.

That would actually be worse. Not only would you have to fight everyone including resellers on the dot, but stock would sell out faster.

Your chances are probably better with it going up at a random time and you just happen to be online when it does.

Justinh

Thought it might be helpful to everyone here. By the way, the Keepa price graph shows that it has never been listed for purchase on Amazon just yet, so that blog a few posts up from me is reporting false information.

Cheers!

Yeah, thanks lol. I almost got a little frustrated.

I've been checking the amazon site nearly everyday and it's had that "unavailable" message for a while now. I've never seen it up for pre-orders yet, so yeah I was leaning on BS. Nice to have another say though.

Edit: It wasn't! Created by Nintendo European Research and Development!

Is that what they're really called, lol?

akRbnZV.gif
(not you)

Also, God bless 'em...

wiibomb

For all of those waiting on Amazon, here's a helpful tip:

On Chrome and Safari (likely other browsers as well), there's an Amazon price tracking extension called 'Keepa'. It adds a nice little graph on every Amazon product page showing price trends, and you can set alerts when a product drops below a target price. This is not only helpful for price alerts, but you can also use it to trigger an on-sale alert for products listed as Coming Soon or Not in Stock. Alerts can be sent via e-mail or with browser/toast pop-up notifications. So for instance, I have it monitoring the NES Classic to alert me when the price "drops" below $10,000, meaning as soon as it's available to order, I will get pinged.

Cheers!

this is amazing, thanks for sharing it

killroy87

That would actually be worse. Not only would you have to fight everyone including resellers on the dot, but stock would sell out faster.

Your chances are probably better with it going up at a random time and you just happen to be online when it does.

Worked fine for me when Sony announced PSVR preorders

My retailer sent me this e-mail today (Dutch website bol.com):

Op zaterdag 16 juli 2016 heb je bij ons één of meerdere exemplaren van het artikel 'Nintendo Classic Mini Nes' besteld onder het bestelnummer ***.

Helaas heeft Nintendo wat productieproblemen gehad, waardoor ze iets achterlopen op schema. Hoewel het overgrote deel van de pre-orders gewoon op de releasedatum geleverd wordt, zullen er om die reden ook een paar orders vertraagd zijn.

Wanneer ontvang ik mijn bestelling?
De releasedatum is vrijdag 11 november 2016. Helaas weten we nog niet of jouw bestelling op die dag geleverd wordt of dat deze vertraagd is. Wat we gelukkig wel weten is dat de vertraagde consoles binnen twee weken na de releasedatum alsnog worden bezorgd. Dat is dus op tijd voor de feestdagen! Zodra wij je bestelling verzenden ontvang je hierover nog een bericht van ons.

Quick translation: Nintendo has encountered some trouble with production and it's unknown if they can fulfill every preorder. If there's a delay it will take two weeks at most to ship the preorders.

I guess there won't be any free units left in the first couple of weeks.

Sanjuro

Amazon is going to send the drones containing the NES Mini into orbit, then activate pre-orders mid-flight.

That is the only way to do this.

Right.. and in no way a forced scarcity in the hope of being this years must have Chritmas toy. Wii remember.

Wii's first Christmas definitely wasn't a case of forced scarcity. Nintendo was completely unprepared for that system's launch (no one was prepared for it). They had to start manufacturing the console in additional factories due to the unexpected demand.

Right.. and in no way a forced scarcity in the hope of being this years must have Chritmas toy. Wii remember.
Ah yes, the forced Wii scarcity that somehow still resulted in the Wii selling in record numbers every month... Which kind of means there were more Wii consoles available to buy than any other system. Hmm...

Turrican3

I don't know what you're talking about.

I was in NY back in the summer of 2008 and there still was a "1 unit per customer" limit everywhere.

Not to mention when I bought it online the year before, it literally disappeared while I was finalizing the order... luckily for me there was a first come, first served policy in place and it actually went on to the processing, then shipping stage. Five minutes late and I'd be telling a different story. That white little box was really a thing. :)

Freddo

Looking forward to this, but a bit bummed that Ice Hockey, Wrecking Crew, Bionic Commando and Metal Gear aren't included.

Looking forward to this, but a bit bummed that Ice Hockey, Wrecking Crew, Bionic Commando and Metal Gear aren't included.
I'm also extremely excited for the Mini but I have my own "edited" lineup ... For the sake of fun forum fodder, I would have swapped out Pac-Man and Galaga for Ice Hockey and Pro Wrestling.

Pac and Galaga are nothing less than pillars of the video game industry but I just never associated them as NES "experiences" ... although I gather the ports are very well done. With consoles, I link these games with the countless arcade collections and downloadable new versions ... many of which I own and love. As a side note, I one day hope to get a Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga cocktail table machine. Just need money, space, etc.

But again, looking a gift horse in the mouth. The collection and variety on the Mini is just incredible. Really making the most of a 30-count collection. And this is coming from someone who has owned an NES from day one and possesses 100+ games.

Not sure if this has been discussed yet but is anyone picking up the companion book to the Mini? I believe it is called "Playing with Power: NES Classics" and is available for pre-order on Amazon (unlike the system).

Fritz

What's the fuzz with Amazon preorders about? I just checked my preorder with Amazon.de and everything seems fine.

Bane

The blurb makes it sound like it's mostly recycled content from Nintendo Power.

I don't know, I thought the Power stuff sounded like just one part of it.

A fascinating retrospective on 17 NES classics—including Super Mario Bros. 3, Donkey Kong, and The Legend of Zelda!

Interviews and commentary from Nintendo visionaries who pioneered this era of gaming.

A showcase of vintage advertising and priceless excerpts from Nintendo Power magazine back issues!

Plus hand-drawn maps, character and game environment art, and much more!

Either way I'm down. I also saw an Art of Atari book coming out in October that looks pretty cool.

I don't know, I thought the Power stuff sounded like just one part of it.

Either way I'm down. I also saw an Art of Atari book coming out in October that looks pretty cool.
Yes! I also plan to get the Art of Atari book. I've always loved the 2600 cart art; a book dedicated to it is another easy purchase for me.

I'm also extremely excited for the Mini but I have my own "edited" lineup ... For the sake of fun forum fodder, I would have swapped out Pac-Man and Galaga for Ice Hockey and Pro Wrestling.

Pac and Galaga are nothing less than pillars of the video game industry but I just never associated them as NES "experiences" ... although I gather the ports are very well done.

The ports are fairly good for the era. I mean, better than Atari 7800, right?

The bottom line is Pac-Man and Galaga sell. They aren't there because they fit. It broadens appeal to the whole family. This is for casuals, and it makes sense to broaden the appeal. Tetris would really get people worked up but it probably isn't as easy to get at a fair price.

The ports are fairly good for the era. I mean, better than Atari 7800, right?

The bottom line is Pac-Man and Galaga sell. They aren't there because they fit. It broadens appeal to the whole family. This is for casuals, and it makes sense to broaden the appeal. Tetris would really get people worked up but it probably isn't as easy to get at a fair price.
Good point, including those games certainly maximizes the traction of the Mini.

Keep forgetting about Tetris, arguably the GOAT. NES version of that standard is excellent, too. Must've been a cost/licensing issue indeed.

Good point, including those games certainly maximizes the traction of the Mini.

Keep forgetting about Tetris, arguably the GOAT. NES version of that standard is excellent, too. Must've been a cost/licensing issue indeed.

I like Tengen Tetris for NES and Gameboy Tetris more than NES Tetris, but any Tetris would help sell these all in ones for usre.

alf717

What's the fuzz with Amazon preorders about? I just checked my preorder with Amazon.de and everything seems fine.

Amazon hates money.... J/K who knows at this point. It is official official now with the Direct announcing it.

Justinh

Not sure if this has been discussed yet but is anyone picking up the companion book to the Mini? I believe it is called "Playing with Power: NES Classics" and is available for pre-order on Amazon (unlike the system).

Yeah I first saw it back when I learned about this NES mini when doing a search for it at Gamestop's website. I preordered one from Amazon. I'm hoping it'll be interesting to peruse (does that word work here? Ah, screw it...) through and even if it turns out to be just recycled Nintendo Powah stuff, I think I'd still be okay with it as long as it's on good paper.

bengraven

Damn, this was up for preorder and now it's not?

I'm going to have to get up at 6am to get to Walmart to see if one of these is available that day, aren't I....

Justinh

Damn, this was up for preorder and now it's not?

I'm going to have to get up at 6am to get to Walmart to see if one of these is available that day, aren't I....

Preorders went up at Toys'RUS a couple time very briefly from what I remember, but now they removed the page for the product altogether. I'd honestly be a little anxious if I were someone who secured my preorder through them.

I'm sure it'll work out all in the end. I stopped worrying about getting a preorder. I'll just let it happen.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm gonna pass on this. I have the majority of these games already physically.

Though I'm all over that controller to use with my Wii U (and hopefully the Retro Receiver)

I'll likely pick up a few as Christmas gifts though, assuming they're readily available.

-sdp

I've been on the fence about it as well.. I already own most games digitally on the Wii U and have a NES so I don't see much benefit in buying something I'll rarely ever play and the NES controller uses the Wii port which might be obsolete with the NX, I wish it had been USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom