• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
8bitdo + Rasberry Pi 3 will shit on this. I am done caring without pre-orders. It would be something different if you were talking better input lag than EmulationStation / RetroArch but that remains to be seen.

Wouldn't mind one of those daftmike 3d printed cases tho. No friends with a 3d printer =(.

Sadface.gif

Retrobox

I've been on the fence about it as well.. I already own most games digitally on the Wii U and have a NES so I don't see much benefit in buying something I'll rarely ever play and the NES controller uses the Wii port which might be obsolete with the NX, I wish it had been USB.

NES controllers barely have any buttons, they wouldn't serve you well at all on your computer. Wii plug was a good decision for at least SOME utility.

ghibli99

Wow, I completely forgot about this. With how crowded the next couple months are going to be, I'm hopeful that I can squeeze this in! Or at least get it as a gift for Christmas. :)

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but you can pre-order on Nintendo's shop? Is there something else I'm missing as why people can't find a pre-order?

Justinh

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but you can pre-order on Nintendo's shop? Is there something else I'm missing as why people can't find a pre-order?

I think that was a NoE store thing and that you can't in the US. At least, I hadn't been able to find it when I would periodically search the store before, and I couldn't find it there just now.

Unless I really suck at searching or something...

I think that was a NoE store thing and that you can't in the US. At least, I hadn't been able to find it when I would periodically search the store before, and I couldn't find it there just now.

Unless I really suck at searching or something...

Ahh right that explains it, UK here. Weird that you can't pre-order from the US :\ I've had mine pre-ordered on announcement from Amazon but just seen you can get a keychain from the Nintendo store for a £1 more, might change my order.

I'm sure more will show up before release, I remember the Arkham Knight collectors edition being out of stock until the week before release and then it never went out of stock again.

Bigrx1

Banned
how is there no Contra 1 in this? Growing up everyone had and played Contra - I only had 1 friend who had Super C and no one talked about or played that one. One could perhaps argue Super C is the superior game, but even now at 37 I can't remember a single time in my life when talking with someone about the good ol NES that anyone ever brought up Super C. It's always the first Contra.

AgeEighty

Beats me. At this point I went from a must buy to I don't give a fuck. If I ever see it then I'll buy it cheap. If not oh well Nintendo had their chance.

This mentality is crazy to me, especially since we don't actually know if it's Nintendo that's holding back preorders. Nintendo announced a date, so how is it not Amazon's or BB's decision when to open preorders?

I'm going to guess that Nintendo wants a large amount of stock allocated to actual B&M as backwards as that seems. This thing is going to slay as a stocking stuffer/impulse purchase if it's actually available in places like Barnes & Noble or Kohl's for people that wouldn't know it existed otherwise.

This mentality is crazy to me, especially since we don't actually know if it's Nintendo that's holding back preorders. Nintendo announced a date, so how is it not Amazon's or BB's decision when to open preorders?

Just a guess, but they probably don't want to open pre-orders without knowing how much stock they are going to receive.

Justinh

Ahh right that explains it, UK here. Weird that you can't pre-order from the US :\ I've had mine pre-ordered on announcement from Amazon but just seen you can get a keychain from the Nintendo store for a £1 more, might change my order.

I'm sure more will show up before release, I remember the Arkham Knight collectors edition being out of stock until the week before release and then it never went out of stock again.

Yeah, a while ago I guess I was a little obsessive about getting one preordered, but I kinda calmed down and I'm pretty sure that if I really want one, I'll be able to get one and haven't been checking in on stores' sites everyday like I used to.

the hw has literally zero to do with the Wii U emulation scene.

Anyway, i'm going to buy 3 day 1.

It has zero to do with the NES emulator Nintendo programmed for the Wii U that has low quality dark output and pretty terrible/featureless, other than the fact that Nintendo programmed it of course... ...what?

-sdp

NES controllers barely have any buttons, they wouldn't serve you well at all on your computer. Wii plug was a good decision for at least SOME utility.

If I want to use a NES controller it's obviously not for the buttons or features but to play games in the original controller. The Wii plug is a proprietary port that we don't know if it'll exist after the Wii U a USB or bluetooth controller would've meant it could've been used for any future Nintendo device.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You do realize: there are completely different ways to make hardware and emulators correct?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...eature_a_brand_new_emulator_developed_by_nerd

Sorry, but I just don't see NERD leapfrogging FCEUX's 12+ years of work. It would be something if it was even 100% new code, as I am sure at least some of the Wii/U source was used as a base. It sure as hell isn't FPGA so it's an uphill battle to get an accurate base for this stocking stuffer.

That said, even if it equals FCEUX there is the whole 30 games thing it has working against it. See: previous posts for Contra port begging.

What are the sales projections for this? Does it seem like its going to be a smash hit?

Impossible to know due to major retailers not even given proper numbers to open pre-orders. Might be a hot toy that sells insane and is scalped at crazy prices, might just be low production numbers, hell it might be a brick and mortar flood that ends up collecting dust on shelves at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Agent X

Sorry, but I just don't see NERD leapfrogging FCEUX's 12+ years of work. It would be something if it was even 100% new code, as I am sure at least some of the Wii/U source was used as a base. It sure as hell isn't FPGA so it's an uphill battle to get an accurate base for this stocking stuffer.

This machine is produced by Nintendo. You might have heard of them...they're the company that created the Nintendo Entertainment System. If there's any singe entity that I would trust to know about the hardware and what makes it tick, it would be the company that created the original system.

That said, even if it equals FCEUX there is the whole 30 games thing it has working against it. See: previous posts for Contra port begging.

The "whole 30 games thing"? You mean offering people the ability to quickly, easily, and legally obtain 30 games in one shot? You sure have a strange definition of "working against it", that's for sure.

So in one of the Kinda Funny Colin & Greg live shows this week, someone tipped and said that Walmart received Nintendo promo material that said do not open or display until October 11th. It was apparently NES Mini related.

You can see how it all went down here at the 01:04:34 time mark: https://www.twitch.tv/kindafunnygames/v/90780441

So for those waiting for a preorder date, that may be it.

Sorry if old.

This machine is produced by Nintendo. You might have heard of them...they're the company that created the Nintendo Entertainment System. If there's any singe entity that I would trust to know about the hardware and what makes it tick, it would be the company that created the original system.

They knew so much when they made their Wii U NES emulator. Flawless track record for the inventors.

The "whole 30 games thing"? You mean offering people the ability to quickly, easily, and legally obtain 30 games in one shot? You sure have a strange definition of "working against it", that's for sure.

Can't argue it's a nice legal 30 games. Shame they won't work on any other Nintendo hardware, or offer any further legal options/choices.

MacTag

Banned

I wouldn't rule NERD out, their DS emulator on Wii is stellar and one of the few highpoints for the system's generally disspointing VC. Hackers have even discovered NERD included doubled resolution options (but they were disabled due to stability issues). NES Classic Mini is in good hands at least.

maxcriden

So will pre-orders just miraculously be allowed some day or do we have to wait for a direct?

Potentially the former. I don't know that there will be a formal announcement when they start making them available. But perhaps naively, I so expect them to he in wide supply on store shelves...

Gamestop will not be taking in store preorders for these. First come, first serve. Allotments per store will be known closer to November 11th. Dunno about other retailers, aside from the brief window that already happened with Toys R Us and Target.

Anth0ny

MyEpitomeCliché;219343901 said:
Gamestop will not be taking in store preorders for these. First come, first serve. Allotments per store will be known closer to November 11th. Dunno about other retailers, aside from the brief window that already happened with Toys R Us and Target.

Really starting to sound like this is going to be ridiculously hard to find come November

RowdyReverb

Really starting to sound like this is going to be ridiculously hard to find come November
Surely not, right? It seems like it should be simple and cheap enough to mass produce. Maybe they just aren't sure what kind of demand there will be for the product outside of their fanbase, so they don't know how much to produce

Tanoooki

I'm worried that this thing's print run might be more limited than I was expecting.. :S

If they sell really well and demand is still strong, Nintendo will reconsider. Unless this is just them putting out feelers to test how the market responds to an emu/retro console.

Surely not, right? It seems like it should be simple and cheap enough to mass produce. Maybe they just aren't sure what kind of demand there will be for the product outside of their fanbase, so they don't know how much to produce

They could be positioning it to be one of the things everyone is after on Black Friday.

Syril

This only has HDMI right? I have an old Commodore 64 monitor that seems like it would be perfect for something like this, but I don't get the feeling that they were thinking of fringe cases like that.

Damn! US-GAF still can't pre-order this?! o_O

I feel there might be a shortage come launch, I had 2 units pre-ordered from Amazon UK the moment they started taking pre-orders but they cancelled one of them a few weeks ago! :(

UberTag

Damn! US-GAF still can't pre-order this?! o_O

I feel there might be a shortage come launch, I had 2 units pre-ordered from Amazon UK the moment they started taking pre-orders but they cancelled one of them a few weeks ago! :(
I've already come to terms with the fact that we're all going to be camped outside of our local brick and mortar retailers on the night of November 10th. We'll make an event out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom