• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One is 4:3 mode, which is default but feels stretched for some reason. It feels wrong. I'm not sure why 4:3 should be wider than "pixel perfect" mode but it is. 4:3 is the correct aspect ratio, yeah? Anyway this mode felt wrong.

Pixels on a CRT (especially in that era) were not quite square. Best case would be like a 10:11 pixel aspect ratio. That's what this mode replicates, so yeah, go pixel perfect if you want the sharpness.

My console and extra controller have been delivered in the uk - that was straight from Nintendo.

It'll be a long wait 'til Christmas to try it out :-(

Don't suppose you know who they use for delivery in the UK? Mine have been dispatched but I'm wondering if I'll have to make sure there's someone in the house to take delivery (DHL, FedEX etc never bother trying my neighbors but the good ol' Postman does).

Menitta

I've been randomly thinking about how awesome the NES was. There's something special and pure about the raw gameplay. Not sure if I should get this though. I already own a NES. Though getting this will absolutely be cheaper than getting all the cartridges of every game.

maxcriden

Got mine today.

The cable is about as long as my arm ffs. Luckily I have it on my desk but this is going to need a cable if you want to play sitting anywhere but directly in front of the console.

Had a quick go on Castlevania. Seemed responsive and not particularly laggy but I'm not the best judge of these things.

Playing on my flatscreen monitor I have the following observations to make about the display settings.

There are three.

One is 4:3 mode, which is default but feels stretched for some reason. It feels wrong. I'm not sure why 4:3 should be wider than "pixel perfect" mode but it is. 4:3 is the correct aspect ratio, yeah? Anyway this mode felt wrong.

Then there is "Pixel perfect" mode, which is just flat out the unadulterated ultra-smooth image being outputted by the console. It looks good but it's a bit too clean if you get my meaning.

Then there is CRT mode (or something - can't quite remember the name) - this has scanlines but also some artificial fuzziness and image degradation tat makes it look like a shitty 80s crt. I guess that's nice for the authentic feel.

Personally, I would have preferred an option that included scanlines without the other shite. Scanlines improve the image quality IMO, where as fuzziness makes it worse.

I prefer the output I get from my hi-res modded NES I guess but really, this is a minor quibble. I'm sure most people won't care.

Thanks for your impressions! So you liked 4:3 best?

Thanks for your impressions! So you liked 4:3 best?

I'm actually not sure. All of them are kinda annoying tbh in a mild way. It's difficult to compare because you can't switch on the fly but 4:3 mode feels better but looks stretched whereas pixel perfect is to smooth and flat but looks like the correct ratio.

Pixels on a CRT (especially in that era) were not quite square. Best case would be like a 10:11 pixel aspect ratio. That's what this mode replicates, so yeah, go pixel perfect if you want the sharpness.

I don't really understand this. I'm sure you're right, I just can't make sense of what you are saying.

Actually, maybe the issue is that I'm playing on an ultra-wide monitor. So whilst 4:3 mode should look more "square" than PP mode using a widescreen resolution, it doesn't detect ultra-wide and so gets stretched. Obvious now I think about it.

Anyone who has theirs pre-ordered through Toys R Us, get shipping notifications yet?

Last I checked mine status was just "being held till release date" or something like that.

If you perfect pixel a snes game they look really squished and tall, this is because on a CRT they were slightly wider, the NES is the same deal.

Playing old games in emulators makes us all use to the pixel perfect look but really they were always wider.

kierwynn

Anyone who has theirs pre-ordered through Toys R Us, get shipping notifications yet?

Last I checked mine status was just "being held till release date" or something like that.

I got the email yesterday that mine shipped.

edit- wait I can't read sorry- mine was target and not Toys r Us lol Sorry, sorry- I even checked the email and it didn't click until now.

bigkrev

If I'm going to to stop somewhere on the way to work to pick one up Friday Morning, would going to Walmart or Target serve me better than going to Gamestop?

random25

Anyone from Asian markets (SG, Malaysia, HK, etc.) know when this will come up? I'm planning to look at local stores tomorrow or Friday but it would help if there's information of this coming out this week.

maxcriden

If I'm going to to stop somewhere on the way to work to pick one up Friday Morning, would going to Walmart or Target serve me better than going to Gamestop?

Depends on the area. Try calling tomorrow (day before) to see launch plans and how early they're selling them, and how many they're getting, if possible. :) Good luck!

I'm actually not sure. All of them are kinda annoying tbh in a mild way. It's difficult to compare because you can't switch on the fly but 4:3 mode feels better but looks stretched whereas pixel perfect is to smooth and flat but looks like the correct ratio.

I don't really understand this. I'm sure you're right, I just can't make sense of what you are saying.

Actually, maybe the issue is that I'm playing on an ultra-wide monitor. So whilst 4:3 mode should look more "square" than PP mode using a widescreen resolution, it doesn't detect ultra-wide and so gets stretched. Obvious now I think about it.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info! I will be interested to hear how it looks to you on a regular monitor then. :)

Dub117

So what's the best way to get one in the US? Is GameStop doing a midnight release, or should I use my Amazon prime on Friday at 12AM? Or should I just walk into GameStop 10am Friday or.....

Yeah, that would definitely make things worse. I love 21:9 but it is a difficult beast.

To explain what I'm saying, though - on a CRT there just isn't any definition of a "pixel". The mask/grille uses a bunch of clusters (shadow mask) or stripes (trinitron) that have zero to do with pixels and everything to do with packing color elements as closely together as possible. Then a beam sweeps horizontally through it, line by line, as fast as possible to paint an analog picture based on the signal it's being fed. Inevitably CRT is just better at horizontal resolution (the "sweep") and so you end up with slightly longer pixels.

You could argue all games are digital and this Pixel Perfect is best. But...back then everybody had to build and test their images on CRTs. And play their games on CRTs. So really go with whichever look you like more.

Yeah, that would definitely make things worse. I love 21:9 but it is a difficult beast.

To explain what I'm saying, though - on a CRT there just isn't any definition of a "pixel". The mask/grille uses a bunch of clusters (shadow mask) or stripes (trinitron) that have zero to do with pixels and everything to do with packing color elements as closely together as possible. Then a beam sweeps horizontally through it, line by line, as fast as possible to paint an analog picture based on the signal it's being fed. Inevitably CRT is just better at horizontal resolution (the "sweep") and so you end up with slightly longer pixels.

You could argue all games are digital and this Pixel Perfect is best. But...back then everybody had to build and test their images on CRTs. And play their games on CRTs. So really go with whichever look you like more.

Yeah I think I get it now. It was the horizontal stretching on 4:3 mode that was throwing me off but I know hwy that is now. Thanks for the explanation.

LordofPwn

seems my best buy got a full crate of them in yesterday. no more specifics. The gamestop i went to said they had units but would not disclose how many. but they did say they've had over 100 calls asking about it.

Just recieved mines from Nintendo Store UK. They post via Royal mail if anyones waiting for theirs. Funnily enough the delivery sticker had "The Hut" as a return address?

Don't suppose you know who they use for delivery in the UK? Mine have been dispatched but I'm wondering if I'll have to make sure there's someone in the house to take delivery (DHL, FedEX etc never bother trying my neighbors but the good ol' Postman does).

Sorry for the slow reply - it was Royal Mail , so they should hopefully ditch it at a post office near you - worst case.

Just spoke with my local Gamestop, and it's pretty much the same as what others are hearing: They're expecting 7-9 available on Friday morning and only two controllers. Not sure now if I want to get there 1-2 hours ahead of time and wait or just try to snag one online at midnight (assuming that's when stores like Best Buy and Amazon put them up).

maxcriden

So what's the best way to get one in the US? Is GameStop doing a midnight release, or should I use my Amazon prime on Friday at 12AM? Or should I just walk into GameStop 10am Friday or.....

Depends on the area. Try calling tomorrow (day before) to see launch plans and how early they're selling them, and how many they're getting, if possible. :) Good luck!

(And I expect them to go very quickly online.)

AdanVC

Just a heads up for Mexican fellows but maybe y'all already know: Amazon México will have it available the first minute of friday so prepare that F5 key! They haven't give the final prize yet and Amazon support is teasing everyone that "You just have to wait till friday to find out it's final prize" Hope that tease means the NES will cost less than 2,000 pesos. Let's hope so!

Backlogger

I lucked out with a pre-order from Target. Got tracking info last night. Now I need to find another controller and maybe pick up a couple of those extension cords.

AtomicPumpkin

Neo Member
Just got my shipping confirmation from Target - not sure when it will arrive, but it's shipping from Tucson and I'm in Utah, so shouldn't take long. Pumped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom