• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2012.12.5 - Dec. 5th, 6AM EST (JP), 12 PM EST (NA), 5PM GMT

I thought people hyping this up were just kidding, but seeing so many people dissapointed now... wow. I guess some people are really that thick.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I want Panorama View now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sort of off-topic, but how gradual or otherwise has Nintendo's shift from being proudly 'purely games' to proudly 'multipurpose' been?

I've noticed it very distinctly since last E3 I guess, when Reggie talked up their place at the center of the living room heavily, and I suppose before that with some of the 3DS presentations. But were they this heavy on it before that?

I'm not complaining, I think it's sort of necessary given the current environment, but just a thought that struck me watching this ND in particular. Back in the good old days, they used to contrast themselves heavily against Sony on this front but it seems they realised they were pissing against the wind a bit. But it makes certain decisions elsewhere all the more puzzling.

Artemisia

Banned
ch... I was interested to see what 2013 had in store for the 3DS in Japan.

Most of the games us non-japanese folk are look forward to have already been released in japan.

Muku

Well, JP hasn't gotten WiiU yet.

On the other hand, US will probably get 3DS announcements people have heard but haven't been released in US.

I know, took them forever to even get any Wii U stuff up in stores here. >< And took an arm and a leg to get the Wii U here, LOL.

Still enough to ponder to whether it's enough to stay up. Maybe if we're up playing late might be worth it. Just hoping something interesting comes out of it though.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Expected!

Nintendo was not going to announce new releases...

I think Bayonetta 2 is the only game that is so far away that they've teased. Everything else is going to be with us in 6 months at the most.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So does Game & Wario include microgames as part of the standard package, or only as part of that one 9-Volt minigame? Kinda lost on that point.

urfe

I've very impressed with Nintendo publishing and pushing Rayman in Japan. There definitely must be a good relationship with the two companies.

Also very amazing to put so many American games in the video. Realizing that they're getting big in Japan? Taking a gamble on them? Not sure.

Regardless, I'm still set to hold off buying my (Japanese) WiiU for a few months.

Muku

Expected!

Nintendo was not going to announce new releases...

Maybe, but we can hope. Outside of the initial release things look pretty boring. I ultimately hope they stop silencing developers and stop making this a has to be Nintendo Direct announcements on games. That's going to get old really quick.

qq more

People shouldn't be expecting anything today other than videos of games we've already seen, some stupid TVii videos (including vague stuff like "TVii will come to certain regions of Europe in 2013") and maybe release dates. No Bravely Default for the West. No DQ X for the West. No new game announcement.

Exactly, people are just setting themselves up for disappointment and I don't know why they continue to do that. This isn't some huge event.

-GJ-

IfZlF.png
Had to screencap it.

zroid

Banned
20:12 Game & Wario has 16 mini-games, all playable with GamePad only, by up to 5 players.
20:13 Pretend to be asleep while your mother is walking by the window or peeks in the door.

I wasn't entirely sure what was going on in the stream, but I get it now. This is actually a really awesome idea. Playing microgames on the GamePad while keeping an eye on the TV in case mom peeks in.

Maybe, but we can hope. Outside of the initial release things look pretty boring. I ultimately hope they stop silencing developers and stop making this a has to be Nintendo Direct announcements on games. That's going to get old really quick.

At this point, I'm wondering if there are developers to silence.

Iwata prays that the Wii U will be enjoyed.

I don't know why I found this so funny.

urfe

The point of this was to hype the Japanese launch. You are not the main audience, and you getting a lot out of it is not their concern.

The other Nintendo Directs are for you, and will have more relevant stuff.

wrowa

Also very amazing to put so many American games in the video. Realizing that they're getting big in Japan? Taking a gamble on them? Not sure..
They just don't have many other games to show, really. Would they've focused on Japanese games the stream would have been 20 minutes long. ;o

EDarkness

At this point, I'm wondering if there are developers to silence.

I'm wondering the same thing. I don't remember them really holding back 3rd Party announcements for the Wii or GameCube. Like before E3, I don't think they're holding anything back. There just isn't anything.

Nosgoroth

I wasn't entirely sure what was going on in the stream, but I get it now. This is actually a really awesome idea. Playing microgames on the GamePad while keeping an eye on the TV in case mom peeks in.

We can go deeper.

Play on the gamepad
-> while
keeping an eye on the TV in case mom peeks in
-> while
keeping an eye on the door in case your actual mom peeks in.

Well I'm certainly impressed I was able to watch the stream so well while reading NeoGAF all on my Wii U!

Wasn't expecting a console Internet browser to be so..... pleasurable. It could even send the video to my TV while still allowing me to change tabs to GAF reading on the controller but keep the video from the stream tab up playing on the TV! :D

Nice.

F#A#Oo

Banned

I actually prefer ND's...

Makes a change from drip-fed over 2 years or leaked out of no where to then relying on E3 to deliver, where you're then given 30 games in a minutes trailer and some get lost in the mix...

I actually prefer only knowing about games being released within window X or game is soon to be released like Paper Mario which was a pleasant surprise. Even the new Animal Crossing.

Yeah we see the same game 3-4 times within 6 month period but then on Nintendo's part nothing gets lost in the mix...which is surely a good thing no?

Muku

I actually prefer ND's...

Makes a change from drip-fed over 2 years or leaked out of no where to then relying on E3 to deliver, where you're then given 30 games in a minutes trailer and some get lost in the mix...

I actually prefer only knowing about games being released within window X or game is soon to be released like Paper Mario which was a pleasant surprise. Even the new Animal Crossing.

Yeah we see the same game 3-4 times within 6 month period but then on Nintendo's part nothing gets lost in the mix...which is surely a good thing no?

See, I kind of want things to look forward to. Even if there isn't a set time, or if it's a generic year, that's fine. Not knowing at least something is coming is a bit frustrating on my part. Two Wii U games I'm playing now will only get me so far, so I'd really at least to see something on the horizon. Quite honestly, after the Wii, I want to know something else is ahead to look forward to. I guess I'm just afraid in that regard.

Also, first footage of the purple and white Pikmin, plus I'm pretty sure the new flying Pikmin are seen to the left of screen at 22:08 (buried), but they could be white ones. I suppose.

vareon

Sort of off-topic, but how gradual or otherwise has Nintendo's shift from being proudly 'purely games' to proudly 'multipurpose' been?

I've noticed it very distinctly since last E3 I guess, when Reggie talked up their place at the center of the living room heavily, and I suppose before that with some of the 3DS presentations. But were they this heavy on it before that?

I'm not complaining, I think it's sort of necessary given the current environment, but just a thought that struck me watching this ND in particular. Back in the good old days, they used to contrast themselves heavily against Sony on this front but it seems they realised they were pissing against the wind a bit. But it makes certain decisions elsewhere all the more puzzling.

It's not the first time they did this, but this is when they pushed those features harder. I don't think they will add another focus though. They'll keep on making games and game-specific hardware and leave the multipurpose stuff to partners.

Jintor

According to 8-4, something like 25% of all Netflix connections in the US are from Wiis. That's crazy talk.

RagnarokX

See, I kind of want things to look forward to. Even if there isn't a set time, or if it's a generic year, that's fine. Not knowing at least something is coming is a bit frustrating on my part. Two Wii U games I'm playing now will only get me so far, so I'd really at least to see something on the horizon. Quite honestly, after the Wii, I want to know something else is ahead to look forward to. I guess I'm just afraid in that regard.

Nintendo doesn't want future titles to hurt the sales of current titles. Also, the longer people know about a game, the more they hype it beyond reason or the more negative knee-jerk impressions can spread to the general gaming market as "facts".

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Since the Wii & DS generation, the Wii being the stronger case.

Weather channel, Associated Press news channel (at times my most read news source), NetFlix, Voting and Statistics, etc.

Top Bottom