• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2012.4.21 - Apr. 20th, 11PM EDT [Done]

GCX

Wait, there's a President of Nintendo Europe? :O LIES, only Reggie and Iwata rule Nintendo!!! j/k XD

Seriously, NOE and NOC (Canada) have no exposure in media, all you ever see if Reggie and Iwata, most (me included) would scratch their head when trying to answer who the other head honchos of other branches are.
Satoru Shibata passed his 12 year long Iwata clone training program. Now he's ready to complete the holy triforce of Nintendo presidents.

Sadist

Man the E3 Nintendo Conference thread will be crazy lol
syQ0A.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Seriously, I'm surprised Sony and MS haven't tried something similar in response.

It's kinda like people going aggro about how "Of course Wii Play is the best-selling game of all time. It's a $10 game with a controller!". Either it's that easy and MS/Sony are crazy not to do it, or it's not that easy and so Nintendo deserves kudos for pulling it off.

That being said, MS and Sony are lightyears ahead of Nintendo on online community presence. So I think what's sort of happened is that Nintendo felt an obligation to do some kind of direct connection, but since they were a bit behind on stuff, innovated in terms of HOW they present the direct connection.

Boney

Banned
Just.............. i still havent gotten it yet cause i only have a 2nd gen touch i dont think its compatible so im jelly. Is it good?

On Topic: Please show us Smash Bros 3DS O_O

It's actually pretty fun! Surprisingly so

Attacks are reaaally telegraphed so that's my only gripe with it really

Chunky

So, what've we gotten out of the past two conferences? I definitely remember a lot about the Kid Icarus together mode coming out of the last one.

Gaborn

It's kinda like people going aggro about how "Of course Wii Play is the best-selling game of all time. It's a $10 game with a controller!". Either it's that easy and MS/Sony are crazy not to do it, or it's not that easy and so Nintendo deserves kudos for pulling it off.

That being said, MS and Sony are lightyears ahead of Nintendo on online community presence. So I think what's sort of happened is that Nintendo felt an obligation to do some kind of direct connection, but since they were a bit behind on stuff, innovated in terms of HOW they present the direct connection.

Sure, I completely understand that Sony and MS have historically been better at connecting with gamers through online interaction. I just think it's a relatively simple and lowcost way for them to do even MORE especially considering that Sony in particular lost their dominance of the previous two generations and MS always wants to do more. It's kind of the way I view Iwata asks. Sure, no company NEEDS to do it, but it's great fan service that Nintendo does it and it'd be neat if other companies adopted similar practices.

And yes, I DO think it's easy. Sony knows their upcoming game schedule, so does MS. Grab a camera and go.

NateDrake

I'll guess: Luigi's Mansion release for all regions, Fire Emblem for US/EU, Pandora's Tower US, 3DS Firmware with some new features, tease for Wii U stuff at E3, & nothing more.

Very good point, and I hope we see Nintendo moving further in that direction as Wii U's launch approaches. While it's far from the only reason, I think Nintendo's extreme secrecy and their consequent reluctance to engage directly with either the Western enthusiast press or their Western fans is a not-insignificant factor in why they have such a bad reputation with core gamers here.

I'll guess: Luigi's Mansion release for all regions, Fire Emblem for US/EU, Pandora's Tower US, 3DS Firmware with some new features, tease for Wii U stuff at E3, & nothing more.

Add in some Paper Mario and Animal Crossing 3DS and that's probably the whole ND, maybe a secret 3DS game.

Now this post looks double-foolish! :p

Uh, there's nothing foolish about being skeptical or cynical about NOA, my friend. And it was not a foolish post, your acronym correction aside. I'll keep an open mind but until then with our overlords in Washington state, there's always the possibility for major disappointment. I'll gladly post a celebration gif though if needed, no worries.

Sadist

It will be 29:30 minutes of Iwata laughing.

The last 30 seconds he'll tell us that we should look forward to E3.

It's ok. They have an investor's presentation next week too, so they're probably spreading things out a bit.

Ah yes, I forgot about the investor meeting. More excited for that then this.

It's not a press conference, and the previous three were around the same length, IIRC. Half an hour is more than enough time for a few new release dates and trailers, which is basically what ND is for.
If I remember correctly they were all around 50 minutes.

The first Nintendo Direct took 30 min,
The second was 44 min
The third took around one hour but Sakurai took 1/3 with KId Icarus

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Maybe they cut the fat. The stream starts, Iwata bows, takes his leather jacket off, does the hair whip and says: here's everything we plan to release in the upoming months, bitches.

guek

Banned
Spreading what out? I'd expect some interesting info next week, but investor meetings aren't for game unveilings.

iirc, that's not quite true. I don't think they're going to drop any huge megatons, but we might get some software announced without any screens or trailers. We got NiN info last investors meeting though, so I expect at least some information in the same vein that gives shareholders confidence in future ventures.

Honestly, the JP one last time dragged on for so long, with the interviews and demos. :/

The NOA one which was only 12 minutes really delivered IMO, they just focused on games for a moment and moved on, dropping The Last Story as a lat minute bombshell.

Effect

Honestly, the JP one last time dragged on for so long, with the interviews and demos. :/

The NOA one which was only 12 minutes really delivered IMO, they just focused on games for a moment and moved on, dropping The Last Story as a lat minute bombshell.

I don't mind being down on NoA but I liked how they handled the last Nintendo Direct. Especially since everything was up on the youtube right away. If they do this again then great. However they could just as easily just put out updates on twitter/facebook and call it a day while NoE and NCL do something far better.

HylianTom

Banned
Anyone noticing that Nintendo likes to do these when the day is of a certain festive nature?

Last time? Mardi Gras. (i.e., Reggie Gras)
Today? 4/20

I wonder when the next one will be..

Top Bottom