• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: new presentation on April 1st

if there's a Smash season pass, I'm hyped for the bonus for buying it.

They're always random skins, but the colored Yoshis/Shy Guys were cool in MK, and Smash lends itself to DLC skins very easily.

Considering that, a year ago, they were still concepting out what a new Metroid should be and what system it should be on, it probably wasn't even in pre-production work even if they greenlit it that day.

I doubt they'd have anything to show in 10 months.

Maybe now that Club Nintendo is ending we're going to get some info on the account system DeNa is developing and will take its place?

Akiller

I just want to see Devil's Third, i think it's time since Itagaki not long ago said the development is going really well.

weekev

Banned
Well, let us consider the facts. Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8 already have DLC. We know that Mewtwo is coming very soon both as DLC and as a freebie for those of us that registered both versions of the game in time. Id say it would be crazy to only release 1 lot of DLC for a game that has sold so well.

Now is the perfect time to announce it so they can focus on the holiday games at e3.

backlot

Well, let us consider the facts. Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8 already have DLC. We know that Mewtwo is coming very soon both as DLC and as a freebie for those of us that registered both versions of the game in time. Id say it would be crazy to only release 1 lot of DLC for a game that has sold so well.

Now is the perfect time to announce it so they can focus on the holiday games at e3.

The way that Sakurai talks about how difficult adding new characters is every time DLC gets brought up makes me doubt it will happen even if it makes business sense.

Akhe

fast-racing-neo-wii-u_240086_pp.jpg

It's time!!

The way that Sakurai talks about how difficult adding new characters is every time DLC gets brought up makes me doubt it will happen even if it makes business sense.

Mii hats, music, and alt costumes are not hard, however.

Stages aren't too bad either.

And I think we'll get Wolf before the end of the year, plus a bunch of costumes, stages, Mii hats, etc.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Am I supposed to believe that a Smash Bros. DLC character is harder to make than a Street Fighter?

Then consider that Nintendo makes double the money by not only selling DLC, but also a corresponding Amiibo.

Red Hood

Banned
I have no confidence whatsoever we'll see some internet-shattering revelations. If they really have something new and big in store (e.g. Metroid 5, Prime 4, F-Zero), they'd show it at E3 instead of some Direct.

RPGCrazied

I have no confidence whatsoever we'll see some internet-shattering revelations. If they really have something new and big in store (e.g. Metroid 5, Prime 4, F-Zero), they'd show it at E3 instead of some Direct.

Didn't they announce a big game on a Direct before? I thought so. They don't even do E3 conferences anymore, so they could show big games whenever.

Fandangox

I think it's likely, I think it can go either way, both arguments for more DLC and Mewtwo being the only DLC make sense.

If anything, the only reason why I would expect more DLC is because I find it weird that they removed Isaac's assist trophy, but added an extra Golden Sun song, and kept the old one. And that could just be them not prioritizing keeping all old AT's.

True
Thanks. I hope an f-zero is announced for you though :)

It's only been 12 years. Iits gotta be the time now r-right?

what year is it?.jpg

Nintendo has been making big announcements on Directs for quite some time now. In fact the speculation that the Zelda U delay was originally going to be apart of a Direct (based on the footage style) makes me think something relatively decent could be announced here. A Zelda U delay announcement would have otherwise really hampered any good news.

AdanVC

Do you think Iwata will talk about the DeNA alliance? Maybe even show some screens of their upcoming plans and games on mobile?

what year is it?.jpg

Nintendo has been making big announcements on Directs for quite some time now.

Yup. A Link Between Worlds was revealed in a Nintendo Direct, Hyrule Warriors, Majora's Mask 3D, etc. Hoping for a big megaton reveal tomorrow now that Zelda U is out of 2015.

random25

They teased "X" in a January Direct before (which will become Xenoblade X later on 2 E3's after) and also teased Bayonetta 2 before E3. So stranger things happen in these Directs. Also, New 3DS was unveiled during last year's Direct, not at an E3 press event.

edit: I also forgot that last January Direct they unveiled a new Fire Emblem game, so...

*awesome Mewtwo trailer*

Mewtwo will be the only character available through downloadable content for Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U.

April fools

Am I supposed to believe that a Smash Bros. DLC character is harder to make than a Street Fighter?

Then consider that Nintendo makes double the money by not only selling DLC, but also a corresponding Amiibo.
Ehh... the thing with characters in Smash is that adding them is an event in gaming. Look at the build up for new comers in Smash 4. Every single new comer in Smash 4 was hyped in a full produced, animated trailer. Even Lucina and Dark Pit.

Smash games happen so infrequently and the roster of Smash is so iconic, bringing new characters into this needs to be handled as a big deal. They go big with new characters. They always have been, even clones are a big deal. Adding a character in Smash also comes with the responsibility that those characters will continue to be in the series. Smash makes very, very few cuts between games, so characters added as DLC now will have to be considered for future games as a high priority.

Vets, though, pfft, no excuse there. They're added in weekday Miiverse updates and then never mentioned again until release (Lucario, Ike). They'll be more likely to be added as DLC I think.

Sadist

Didn't they announce a big game on a Direct before? I thought so. They don't even do E3 conferences anymore, so they could show big games whenever.
Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors 2, Majora's Mask 3D, Pokemon X and Y, Xenoblade X, Wind Waker HD, Yoshi's Wooley World (and some others I'm forgetting) were all shown via Directs, so you're not wrong :)

weekev

Banned
I think it's likely, I think it can go either way, both arguments for more DLC and Mewtwo being the only DLC make sense.

If anything, the only reason why I would expect more DLC is because I find it weird that they removed Isaac's assist trophy, but added an extra Golden Sun song, and kept the old one. And that could just be them not prioritizing keeping all old AT's.

It's only been 12 years. Iits gotta be the time now r-right?
Although now that they cant use Mewtwo as a selling point for folks double dipping, business wise, this is prime time for announcing more DLC

"Mewtwo will be available to download at the end of this presentation *alarm noises* a new challenger approaches Popo and Nana climb into action"

backlot

Does Street Fighter have 50+ characters that each new DLC fighter has to be balanced against? That seems to be what Sakurai's problem is with DLC characters. He explained it as each new character adding an exponential amount of work.

Raitaro

I'll be watching this Direct despite it's unfortunate midnight European time slot this time.

Some random, totally realistic expectations that won't end up disappointing me at all:

- Mario Kart 8 second DLC pack shown, plus third pack announced featuring 4 dedicated Battle Mode arena's. Ideally a Kid Icarus, Metroid and Splatoon track would be included somewhere.
- Kid Icarus: Uprising Wii U port.
- Luigi's Mansion 2 Wii U port.
- PunchOut Wii New 3DS port with added content.
- Super Mario Sunshine HD with some fixes and tweaks.
- Wii Sports Resort HD (released in steps in the e-shop like the original).
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Wii U port (if they're not saving that reveal for Capcom's MH event in May that is).
- Splatoon DLC / bonus mode announced where you control Mario + Fludd to clean up paint after battles (possibly tied to Mario Amiibo).
- Splatoon Amiibo's teased, to be used in Smash and MK8.
- Star Fox Wii U title and date announced + new footage revealing Project Guard and Project Robot are now part of it.
- Animal Crossing for Wii U announced.
- A new F-Zero teased and/or F-Zero GX getting a Wii U port with online and/or F-Zero SNES getting 3D classic treatment by M2.
- Third wave of 3D classics announced for 3DS, featuring: Streets of Rage 2, Sonic 2, Ecco 2, Turbo Outrun, Ristar, Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder, and a few more.
- New surprise smaller game announced that we never heard about for Wii U ala Captain Toad.
- New surprise New 3DS enhanced / exclusive game announced that completely justifies our New 3DS purchases. Maybe a Star Tropics reboot?
- Teaser about Amiibo focused game that builds on Nintendoland and that incorporates Miiverse heavily.
- Smash 4 further DLC plans announced: Takemaru restored to character status, Ice Climbers return, Lucas, Wolf, Simon Belmont (since Snake seems difficult now that Kojima is out), Inkling.

...Sigh...even 2 or 3 out of those would blow my mind Nintendo...even 2 or 3... That's not too much to ask, is it? Some of them would even make sense in terms of getting more games on Wii U or helping to promote a new IP like Splatoon through cross-promotion with Sunshine HD, Smash / MK8 DLC and Amiibo support.

Ehh... the thing with characters in Smash is that adding them is an event in gaming. Look at the build up for new comers in Smash 4. Every single new comer in Smash 4 was hyped in a full produced, animated trailer. Even Lucina and Dark Pit.

Smash games happen so infrequently and the roster of Smash is so iconic, bringing new characters into this needs to be handled as a big deal. They go big with new characters. They always have been, even clones are a big deal.

Vets, pfft, no excuse there. They're added in weekday Miiverse updates and then never mentioned again until release (Lucario, Ike).

And also, yes they are just that difficult To make. Look at the insane level of detail Sakurai puts into their models, movesets and animations, the balancing they have to do to the roster, on top of a lot of other things. I don't think Mewtwo is the only DLC character we'll get, but I don't think we'll get a whole lot of (if any) newcomers, just because they're pretty hard to make. In addition to what you've said above.

Neoxon

Although now that they cant use Mewtwo as a selling point for folks double dipping, business wise, this is prime time for announcing more DLC

"Mewtwo will be available to download at the end of this presentation *alarm noises* a new challenger approaches Popo and Nana climb into action"
The 3DS version still exists, so they aren't happening.
;_;

MrBadger

They still do E3. They'll be having a direct around that time and they'll announce most of their games at around the same time everyone else does. Them not taking the stage doesn't mean they completely disregard the significance of E3.

Top Bottom