• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - August 2015

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
NINTENDO BOUGHT XSEED, THEIR LOCALIZATION DAYS ARE OVER NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

.....actually, Nintendo was the publisher in EU, so guess they figured might as well be the publisher in the US as well.

TheMoon

sörine;175719060 said:
My DSiWare essentials would be:

Go! Go! Kokopolo

can't buy that anymore in EU.

I think you have a bunch of NA-only titles on there, too.

NINTENDO BOUGHT XSEED, THEIR LOCALIZATION DAYS ARE OVER NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

.....actually, Nintendo was the publisher in EU, so guess they figured might as well be the publisher in the US as well.

XSEED was simply only taking over publishing of the physical retail version back then when digital Wii releases simply didn't exist and thus didn't get covered in any contracts and since this is a Nintendo game anyway, there's no reason XSEED would have been involved here.

Zekes!

I know that the 3DS version of Binding of Isaac was supposed to be a shit show, but has anyone had any hardlocks playing the WiiU version? I ran into one the other night and was hoping it was a one off thing, but with Nicalis you never know

jholmes

I know that the 3DS version of Binding of Isaac was supposed to be a shit show, but has anyone had any hardlocks playing the WiiU version? I ran into one the other night and was hoping it was a one off thing, but with Nicalis you never know

There was a dice room I had in a run where it locked up every time I touched the die. I think I had one other vuvuzela-style lock-up other than that but it was a one-off.

I put in hours upon hours upon hours into this game and it auto-saves even with the lock-up so honestly it's not a huge deal. By Nicalis standards it's a shining success.

maxcriden

But… it's Yoshi's New Island…

I feel like I should wait for someone to pay me to play it

It's legit good. You're missing out.

Iwata: Our mutual fondness towards Yoshi is how I decided that Arzest needed to work on this game. So let us begin, what was your initial vision for this game?

Ohshima: We knew that we were incapable of making a classic game that could live up to the high standards set by the original title. So what we wanted to do was make the exact same game but worse. That would be an accomplishment for us, honestly. (laughs) And I think we succeeded.

Iwata: Yes, a very funny way of saying success. (laughs)

http://www.p4rgaming.com/iwata-asks...ted-to-make-a-worse-version-of-yoshis-island/

daydream

Banned
was relistening to the YNI soundtrack just the other day, so good

gaf's blind devotion to the snes title never fails to amuse ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's better than that Yoshi's Island DS, right? I couldn't even make it past the first world because it felt "off" & I didn't like how to switch characters, you had to beat an entire stage with them.

zigg

It's better than that Yoshi's Island DS, right? I couldn't even make it past the first world because it felt "off" & I didn't like how to switch characters, you had to beat an entire stage with them.
I was already scarred by DS—I wasn't really keen on repeating that experience here.

maxcriden

was relistening to the YNI soundtrack just the other day, so good

gaf's blind devotion to the snes title never fails to amuse ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That reminds me, I should really give it another listen. Maybe after I finish up listening to the Rainbow Curse OST :D

I was already scarred by DS—I wasn't really keen on repeating that experience here.

It's not as good as Yoshi's Island DS, which I called "a masterclass in level design" in my LTTP thread.

Playing as each of these characters offers up a delightful variation on the standard YI gameplay. In the original game, playing as Baby Mario meant you could run (which was standard, and understandably taken for granted), and use an invincibility star. In this game, Baby Mario is the only playable character who can run, forcing you to get creative when using other characters. Baby Peach can use her trademark pink umbrella in conjunction with the wind to reach new heights. Baby DK can climb on vines and do a charge attack. Awesomely, Baby Wario has a magnet to attract gold (which makes for some neat levels with magnetized platforms) and Baby Bowser's fire attack supersedes Yoshi's normal egg attack, forcing you to think about how to play differently. Effectively, the game is a Yoshi, Peach, Wario, Bowser, and DK game all in one, and you can choose from at least three of these characters in most levels, affording many different ways to tackle a level.

More at the link above. :)

YIDS_Babies.jpg

daydream

Banned
I've been diving into my eShop backlog while on vacation so I figured, why not write some rapid-fire impressions on some titles. This is mostly stuff I've played before but I did start fresh in some games, as well.

• Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! - A series I don't have much experience with. I'm very familiar with the seminal DK'94 and I did play the GBA sequel but dropped off when the Minis were introduced. This is a small puzzlish game with some very solid level design and decent level of challenge. The main mechanic involves you picking up blocks in the level and moving them to predestined spots to ensure the best route for the Minis through the level, picking up coins and cards along the way to unlock a special level at the end of each world and, of course, to finish with a gold medal on each level. The cutscenes are a little jarring, basically consisting of poorly rendered jpegs of Mario and DK facing off, but that's hardly a knock against the game - and they're weird in that hokey, "man, they really rushed this part of the game" kind of way more than anything else. Compared to other services of its kind, DSiWare is certainly in the running for worst online marketplace just in terms of quality titles available, but this is certainly one of them and worth a pick-up.
  • Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe - I played a decent amount of this when it released but I certainly have a lot left to do in terms of getting Platinum medals on every level. This is easily one of the best eShop titles and a real gem of a rhythm game. Definitely one of the most originable and tightly designed of its kind in recent memory. The Kirby identity easily lends it the extra charm and compositional quality needed to make it complete package. Lack of online leaderboards is regrettable but, ultimately, negligible.
  • Mutant Mudds Deluxe - Got very close to beating this one prior to the update adding a whole bunch of extra levels. I remember enjoying the game quite a bit, even despite its focus on what are essentially time trials, but I can't say that this enjoyment has quite held up upon revisiting it. The jetpack controls are fiddly in high maintenance situations and a less-is-more approach would have helped immensely with the secret levels as their whole colour palette shtick is about the only interesting thing about them, with actual interesting level design having been spent on the main bulk of stages. I'm not sure Super Challenge is the right way to continue that series, either.
  • Gunman Clive 2 - Mega Man-like in a very stylishly realised Western setting. The level design, while more varied visually, is a bit less consistent than in the first game, but this is still an essential eShop budget release. I'm still waiting for the spin-off focusing solely on the duck.
  • Tappingo - Very straight-forward puzzler that's probably based on some Nikoli property. I start this up every couple months or so to finish a puzzle or two, but the lack of challenge leads me to believe that the underlying concept isn't really capable of being interesting and engaging in a meaningful way. I skipped forward to the last puzzle and finished it without difficulty the same way I finished the first or the twenty-fifth. Unless the sequel does wildly different things to spice up the formula, I think it's back to the drawing board for the team.
  • Hazumi - Now here's an overlooked little gem. Basically Arkanoid/Breakout but with horizontality and a maze-like level design (you can move your ball left to right), which involves colour-coding your ball to be able to destroy blocks of the same colour, hit switches and all that good stuff. A simple but quite effective twist on a known quanity, with a clean and pleasant pixel art presentation. Very much worth a look!
  • Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo - Despite its throw-away iOS aesthetic, I was very much surprised by how much this title had to offer back when I picked this up. The game controls well, has a nice flow to it and is jam-packed with levels without feeling overbearing. Well, unless you wanna do everything in 'Turbo' mode, as well. That might be a little too much Little Acorns. But the levels are shockingly well-made (in a more safe than revolutionary way, of course) and you can unlock some hats for your squirrel, so there you go. Another budget pick-up and one that's been serving me as time-waster for quite a while now.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Part of me hopes for a bigger discount for those who downloaded the demo in exchange for how many times it's been delayed now. We were gonna get, what, 15% off the full game? Maybe up it to 25% off.

New indie games being announced on the 27th at some event called Nindies@Night.

Gonna assume it's some higher-profile ones considering they're hyping it up on Twitter.

GulAtiCa

Yep, those crashes/issues can be a real bitch sometimes in game dev. ZaciSa was originally suppose to come out like back in March of 2014, but due to a crashing bug it was delayed few months till July. It's patch 1.2 took a while to get out due to a similar issue too.. Like took 4 extra months, that and being new to online leaderboard & miiverse procedures/guidelines/etc. If wasn't for that, the EU launch may have been a few months sooner. Funny thing was, is that each time I thought I fixed it, I was wrong, I just made it harder to reproduce. I did finally fix that damn annoying crash recently though with a new patch that came out today in North America. Added a few changes to the game too.

Luckily my early 2016 titles are benefit from my knowledge and hopefully won't run into any annoying issues like that..

Next Week's Download Games in Japan
8/26
3DS
Mono Shadow Quest (Poisoft) - 1000 yen
Hayate no Usagi Maru: Nazo no Karakuri-Jo (Arc System Works) - 600 yen

Wii U
Super EDF (Hamster) (SNES) -823 yen
Tomato Adventure (Nintendo) (GBA) -702 yen
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Konami) (GBA) -702 yen

8/27
3DS
Famicom Remix: Best Choice (Nintendo) -3700 yen
Kobayashi ga Kawai Sugite Tsurai (Happinet) - 5000 yen
Tetsudou Nippon! Rosen Tabi: Yui Rail-Hen (Sonic Powered) -6264 yen
Dragon Quest VIII (Square Enix) - 6458 yen

Oh hells yeah! More Picross 3D!

Also, those are some pretty good VC games coming out next week in Japan.

Holy shit, yes! I just hope the music is better in this one.
Heh, I genuinely like the music in the original. It's... unpretentious? I can keep it in an eternal loop and never get tired of it. Sure, it could be better, but then again, what can't? In any case, judging by the very short 30 seconds video, the music's pretty similar in the sequel.

GulAtiCa

Blah that site...

They are owned by the UCraft dev, and the website is notorious for running slander against other indies. Esp RCMADIAX and the dev behind Cube Life: Island Survival. Even went after the Tiny Galaxy dev recently apparently. Ironically, all that talk just gives those devs extra downloads. lol

That said... That game looks cool. Will keep an eye on it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Can't wait for those to also get cancelled three weeks after their original release date!

Come on now, Freedom Planet is not cancelled. Just delayed until they fix the bug, unfortunately :(

MightyAlpha

Neo Member
At what time does the Japanese eShop generally update? Around midnight?
Planning to pick up the new Super Robot Wars but I'd love to know I can do that after work or if I'll have to wait until tomorrow. (CEST timezone here)

Top Bottom