• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2015

Robin64

That magenta 3DS XL is pure sex.

Just imagine...

gaming-nintendo-3ds-xc9u8v.jpg

Bad Photoshop, I know, shhh.

Excave is pretty OK. It's an extremely basic rougelike with a story that's told through notes that have left around the dungeon. Really basic presentation, essentially a single menu and a the dungeon. It's good if you're looking to scratch that itch and don't want to put more than ~$5 in to it. (Otherwise, probably wait for Etrian Mystery Dungeon)

Adventure Bar Story is my favorite 3DS eShop game of the year. Like I said, it's repetitive, but building up your bar, finding new recipes and going through tiny dungeons is really fun. I do wish the leveling mechanic was different though. (You have to eat food as opposed to just battling monsters.)

Excave is pretty OK. It's an extremely basic rougelike with a story that's told through notes that have left around the dungeon. Really basic presentation, essentially a single menu and a the dungeon. It's good if you're looking to scratch that itch and don't want to put more than ~$5 in to it. (Otherwise, probably wait for Etrian Mystery Dungeon)

Adventure Bar Story is my favorite 3DS eShop game of the year. Like I said, it's repetitive, but building up your bar, finding new recipes and going through tiny dungeons is really fun. I do wish the leveling mechanic was different though. (You have to eat food as opposed to just battling monsters.)
Thanks for the further impressions, both of these will probably be in my purchase bucket eventually.

Dee Dee

Remember to use the save backup function* to alleviate the problem of saves having a chance to corrupt if saving certain locations (mostly puzzle rooms but also other parts of the game).

*- Hit the <| icon but the manual button for a quick access.

That issue makes it hard to recommend the cartridge (where you don't have such things).

Edit: This is about Virtue's Last Reward

Quoting this for people that think "how bad can it be? They would never release a game that broken and never fix it!" - no. I thought the same. But: The 3DS version is verified broken and was never completely fixed. The game froze 4 times on my playthrough. Do not save in Puzzle Rooms. Everywhere else, save!! And for the love of god, play 999 before this one.

jholmes

Wii U Virtual Console
Pac-Attack (US Version) €7.99 / £5.49

Any impressions of Pac-Attack? I've always meant to try it but I'm reluctant to spend $8 on a puzzle game.

Also knock it off with Pac-Attack and Pac-Land and give us Pac-Man 2 The New Adventures already! That game will send Miiverse into a tizzy.

daydream

Banned
Any impressions of Pac-Attack? I've always meant to try it but I'm reluctant to spend $8 on a puzzle game.

Also knock it off with Pac-Attack and Pac-Land and give us Pac-Man 2 The New Adventures already! That game will send Miiverse into a tizzy.

It's not terrible, just kinda boring. As a big Pac-Man fan (not many of those around, I reckon) I can't not get it, though.

jholmes

I should have mentioned this in the last post but I forgot (and the daydreamer bumped the thread anyway): I asked Pringo Dingo games why Paparazzi isn't out in Canada and one of the devs said their "next step is to expand to the rest of North America" and they'll "announce when that happens."

I think that's terrible business sense but apparently it is coming. In the meantime we Canadians just see the game pop up on Wara Wara Plaza with no way to buy the game. I really, really hope Nintendo cracks down on this.

GulAtiCa

The fact that all it takes is for the eShop page to be translated to French, just makes it all the more pathetic devs don't even bother.. :lol

TheMoon

I should have mentioned this in the last post but I forgot (and the daydreamer bumped the thread anyway): I asked Pringo Dingo games why Paparazzi isn't out in Canada and one of the devs said their "next step is to expand to the rest of North America" and they'll "announce when that happens."

I think that's terrible business sense but apparently it is coming. In the meantime we Canadians just see the game pop up on Wara Wara Plaza with no way to buy the game. I really, really hope Nintendo cracks down on this.

That's how we feel in Germany when devs don't bother to get a USK rating and we see people post from all over Europe in the community and we're sitting here looking like idiots (Ittle Dew, Master Reboot, etc).

GulAtiCa

That's how we feel in Germany when devs don't bother to get a USK rating and we see people post from all over Europe in the community and we're sitting here looking like idiots (Ittle Dew, Master Reboot, etc).
Well.... Usk is expensive. There is a big difference to not releasing in Canada, where its free to do so and easy, to Germany where it requires a paid rating.

Its like $300ish for a DL only game below 400MB or so. Above and becomes $1000.

And that isn't taking into the wire transfer bank fee.

TheMoon

Well.... Usk is expensive. There is a big difference to not releasing in Canada, where its free to do so and easy, to Germany where it requires a paid rating.

Its like $300ish for a DL only game below 400MB or so. Above and becomes $1000.

And that isn't taking into the wire transfer bank fee.

I know what it costs. That is an issue for bedroom devs who usually don't put out games that one would be highly anticipating due to pre-release word of mouth etc. The examples I provided don't fall into that category.

GulAtiCa

True. I think those devs (the big guys)are lazy and incompetent. Esp as Germany can be 100% English with no language requirement.

Getting my own rating was as simple as 1.2.3.

TheMoon

True. I think those devs (the big guys)are lazy and incompetent. Esp as Germany can be 100% English with no language requirement.

Getting my own rating was as simple as 1.2.3.

Plus Germany is one of the biggest markets in Europe. And one of Nintendo's most successful ones in the region, too (I think second to France). Skipping it just seems entirely crazy to me. Especially for devs releasing a multiplatform game that has received praise and good word of mouth already.

jholmes

I empathize with people in Germany and Australia who really truly have it bad. The thing about Canada is there's really nothing holding them back.

I empathize with people in Germany and Australia who really truly have it bad. The thing about Canada is there's really nothing holding them back.

It's really not THAT bad (unless you have an irrational hate for colorful rectangles or REALLY like to kill Nazis) but thank you. :)

BooJoh

Isn't Pac-Attack on the GBA Pac-Man Collection that's on Wii U VC? I don't know if it's an inferior port or anything...

I'd buy Pac-Man 2 though. I used to love that game.

GulAtiCa

Australia has it the worst though.

Yep. I've heard a rating there is like $500. I've also heard that some indies never really earned back their money with the market being small and all.

Though.. Did hear reports that AU Rating was in process of redoing the process and making it cheaper, if not free. Wonder if they ever went through with that.

And Japan is impossible unless you have a publisher.

GulAtiCa

We really should have a thread for games not out in Canada/Germany (but in PEGI). As we need a list to help put those companies in their spot.

jholmes

We really should have a thread for games not out in Canada/Germany (but in PEGI). As we need a list to help put those companies in their spot.

I don't know that you could actually fill a thread with the Canada no-shows, but anything that further underlines how ridiculous the situation is is good by me.

Upcoming Japanese releases
3/4
3DS
Gunman Story 2 (Flyhigh Works) -300 yen

Wii U
Tengami (Rainy Frog) -800 yen
Sky Kid (Bandai Namco)( Famicom) - 514yen
Militia (Bandai Namco)( Super Famicom) - 823 yen
Pandora's Tower (Nintendo) (Wii) - 2700 yen

3/5
3DS
Doraemon: Space Heroes (FuRyu) -5378
New Prince of Tennis~ Go to the top ~ (FuRyu) -6151
Lego CIty: Undercover: The Chase Begins (Nintendo) - 4700
Etrian Mystery Dungeon (Atlus) - 6980

Also Rakuten Showtime came to Japanese Wii U today http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/software/br9j/index.html

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Are there any good Picross games on 3DS eShop?

E: I don't like Mario Picross because I hate games that give me a time limit and also tell me when I put a wrong mark on.

GulAtiCa

Lol, yeah. There are 5 of them. All each good, and each better then the last. They give you the option to not tell you, and no time limit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the time limit in Mario's Picross. It's still "technically" there in the e series, but your only penalty is that the picture won't be colored in if your time is over 60 minutes. There's no actual game over now.

You'd think by now, there'd be some kind of bundle for all/most of them....or a sale.

So, I basically just gave up on NOA releasing Zero Mission and decided to dust off the GCN GB Player and play the original cart instead. I really wanted it on the Wii-U but they lost a sale for now since they waited too long. I'm having a lot of fun with the game and I haven't played it in many years. Makes me want another 2D Metroid even more.

Good choice. From day one I've been ignoring the GBA VC for the most part and just using my GBA cart collection and buying the odd cart I don't have because I knew NOA would do this. But hey, what do we know? As Dan Adelman insistently said in a recent interview, the VC drip feed model he put into place is THE way to go and in his words "It's not worth debating" because the emulation is too hard and you just want to play games like Zero Mission "to scratch that nostalgic itch," as he put it, not because the VC reflects one of the most amazing game libraries of a time. Seriously hope for the next system that Nintendo overhauls or replaces the VC system. Adelman and whoever inherited his post have left it in a perpetual quagmire.

Twinduct

Hey guys.
Know this question has been asked before (it must have) but is there any place I can check the current eshop deals for 3DS and Wii U (EU) without logging into the devices (or having to check this thread).

Kind of like a deal alert or twitter feed or something like that

Twinduct

The Reddit /r/WiiU eShop thread "/r/WiiU's Nintendo eShop News & Discussion Thread" ran by our own Sylverstone14 always lists what games are on sale, even if not in NOE's PR/etc. That would be your best bet.

For example: http://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/2wgr2o/rwiius_nintendo_eshop_news_discussion_thread_91/

No idea on 3DS.

Thanks will look into it. Was trying to filter Nintendo Life's feed to only include the download press releases but yeah they don't add in tags nor categories with their feed :/

TheMoon

Thanks will look into it. Was trying to filter Nintendo Life's feed to only include the download press releases but yeah they don't add in tags nor categories with their feed :/

use GoNintendo ...google them and look for "this week's european downloads"

Twinduct

You could go to their list directly here: http://www.nintendolife.com/nintendo-download

Downside, is it would only show new sales and not all currently going on. That and if any EU sale goes live not in a PR, won't be listed.

Cool thanks. Sadly no way to filter through it. But added to my list to check it out every now and again.

use GoNintendo ...google them and look for "this week's european downloads"

Man that site has a bunch of posts per day heh. But might work with what I need (they atleast include sometype of keyword in the title).

Anyway have tried setting up a test feed using feedrinse. Sadly I can't test it until they post a new one as feedburner only keeps like a day's records.

Thanks again guys!

Top Bottom