• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2015

BooJoh

I wonder if they made it easier, because that was not my experience on PC at all. I must have played it dozens of times and never come close to finishing it. My playtime (maybe inaccurate) on Steam is 5 hours.

Maybe I'm just that bad, but that's really odd.

Perhaps you spent some time idling for Steam cards?

I've found two reviews on random sites with google so far. One said it's a solid title and gave it 4 out of 5 and even referred to it as "2D-in-3D," while the other said it has no 3D, poorly scaled visuals, and a lot of slowdown.

I guess I'll hold out for more impressions.

maxcriden

They didn't imply that, they straight up said that. Tipping Stars uses codes in all regions. No automatic cross-buy. They made a point of it to say you will be able to give one code away if you want.

Just wanted to reiterate this for posterity. The games are 95% the same but not identical, so there will not be any literal cross-buy or cross-save. It's BOGO for Wii U or 3DS, for the other version.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
DKL1 was awesome. You guys don't know what your talking about.

It's the only one I played and it's entirely unique. People saying it's mostly a copy of DKC have no idea what they're talking about. Maybe the later Land games are clones, but not the original.

Not saying it's a great game though. I think all the DKC/L games, even the highly touted DKC2, haven't aged terribly well. Not just visually (which I never had a problem with, but I know some do), but mechanically as well. They don't feel like the tightest, most well built platformers ever. But people buying them probably already know what to expect.

Ladekabel

So, just checked the US PS-Blog and it seems that Shovel Knight will be a crossbuy title on PS4, PS3 and Vita.

Is there a reason this isn't on Wii U and 3DS? Is it because both versions have different features?

tolkir

So, just checked the US PS-Blog and it seems that Shovel Knight will be a crossbuy title on PS4, PS3 and Vita.

Is there a reason this isn't on Wii U and 3DS? Is it because both versions have different features?

Nah, they can be perfectly crossbuy on Nintendo platformers if the developer would want.

zroid

Banned
Nah, they can be perfectly crossbuy on Nintendo platformers if the developer would want.

Well, it wasn't possible in NA when Shovel Knight came out here. But I imagine they could've done it in Europe. I think they opted for a cross-buy discount instead?

tolkir

I know. Has Yacht Club Games said why they didn't enable it on Wii U & 3DS?

I don't think so.

They aren't very serious with these things.
It happened some similar in Christmas Steam sales. They said, at beginning, Shovel Knight wouldn't have a sale price and last days it had.

Well, it wasn't possible in NA when Shovel Knight came out here. But I imagine they could've done it in Europe. I think they opted for a cross-buy discount instead?

Yes, it discounted 5 euros.

TheMoon

I know. Has Yacht Club Games said why they didn't enable it on Wii U & 3DS?

It's probably just because it's an expected feature of the platform's audience. If you do a PlayStation release on multiple or even all systems in the family and don't do crossbuy that's like an eShop release without Off-TV play and screenshot support for us. We'll go "eh, I'll wait for a sale..."

Refyref

Dragon Fantasy Book I and II are coming to 3DS, Wii U and Steam, with different names: The Volumes of Westeria and The Black Tome of Ice, respectively

http://totallychoice.com/games/dragon-fantasy-volumes-westeria
http://totallychoice.com/games/dragon-fantasy-black-tome-ice

It seems Choice Provisions are now getting into the publishing business and will be responsible for the release of these games on Nintendo systems, along with Shütshimi for the Wii U.

http://totallychoice.com/games/shutshimi

Blog post about publishing business: http://totallychoice.com/blog-post/introducing-choice-publishing
Blog post by the Dragon Fantasy developers about this deal: http://mtki.co/muteki-teams-up-with-choice-provisions/

It seems Choice Provisions are now getting into the publishing business and will be responsible for the release of these games on Nintendo systems, along with Shütshimi for the Wii U.

http://totallychoice.com/games/shutshimi

Blog post about publishing business: http://totallychoice.com/blog-post/introducing-choice-publishing
Blog post by the Dragon Fantasy developers about this deal: http://mtki.co/muteki-teams-up-with-choice-provisions/
Neat. I kept passing on the Dragon Fantasy games on Vita, I'm not really sure why, and I'm not sure if that will change now, but it is always good to have a game on more platforms.

maxcriden

Oh boy, I really like DKC2 so much. It's kind of crazy. It's really living up to the hype for me. We only played 4-5 levels so far. The physics engine takes a bit of getting used to but I cannot get over how much nicer it looks than DKC. Maybe it's in part because SNES games look better on Wii U than they did on Wii? I dunno. If so, I'd like to know if people think DKC looks any better on Wii U than it did on Wii.

But, I digress. DKC2 is a ridiculously fun game so far. Diddy is super cute. The music is amazing. The aesthetics are charming and hold up very well. BTW, is the game decently long? How many worlds beyond this first one? Feel free to use spoiler tags for others reading. Thanks!

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Oh boy, I really like DKC2 so much. It's kind of crazy. It's really living up to the hype for me. We only played 4-5 levels so far. The physics engine takes a bit of getting used to but I cannot get over how much nicer it looks than DKC2. Maybe it's in part because SNES games look better on Wii U than they did on Wii? I dunno. If so, I'd like to know if people think DKC looks any better on Wii U than it did on Wii.

But, I digress. DKC2 is a ridiculously fun game so far. Diddy is super cute. The music is amazing. The aesthetics are charming and hold up very well. BTW, is the game decently long? How many worlds beyond this first one? Feel free to use spoiler tags for others reading. Thanks!

Well, there's no way DKC 2 looks better than DKC 2. Just imo.

Oh boy, I really like DKC2 so much.
You've never played DKC2 before? Oh, man, you're gonna have a lot of fun! One of my all time faves and one of the games I've played and seen played the most, since my brother seems to have a yearly ritual of replaying this game to completion (and Super Metroid and Zelda 3 as well, apparently). I'm glad to see you like it so much so far!

It's a pretty meaty game too, with lots of worlds and secrets, and will probably keep you entertained for a while, specially if you're going for the 102%. And it does look better than DKC1, and it doesn't matter where you play it. There's a lot more variety in the settings as well.

Amount of worlds spoilers:
If I remember correctly, there's 8 worlds including a secret world. There's also two endings. Each stage has a TON of secrets to find. Also, I gotta mention this just in case, when you complete a stage an exclamation mark is added to the stage's name in the world map. Believe it or not, it took us almost 15 years and multiple complete playthroughs to find this out... We're stupid like that.

tolkir

It's probably just because it's an expected feature of the platform's audience. If you do a PlayStation release on multiple or even all systems in the family and don't do crossbuy that's like an eShop release without Off-TV play and screenshot support for us. We'll go "eh, I'll wait for a sale..."

This. We'll see what happens with OlliOlli on 3DS and Wii U next week.
It's cross-buy on PSN.

Ladekabel

This. We'll see what happens with OlliOlli on 3DS and Wii U next week.
It's cross-buy on PSN.

Since I got to know that crossbuy is possible on Wii U & 3DS I expected it, too. Only thing is that Wii U and 3DS don't get many games that appear on both platforms.

But yeah, lets wait for OlliOlli.

BooJoh

Since I got to know that crossbuy is possible on Wii U & 3DS I expected it, too. Only thing is that Wii U and 3DS don't get many games that appear on both platforms.

But yeah, lets wait for OlliOlli.

I dunno... Mutant Mudds, 1001 Spikes, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Mighty Switch Force 2, two Adventure Time games, half of the NES VC library, and an argument could be made for Mighty Switch Force and Steamworld Dig. That's just off the top of my head.

And even if there's not a lot so far they have to start somewhere. Even PSN only had crossbuy for minis and PSOne games at first.

wilflare

is there a list of good eShop exclusives I should check out?
still wondering what other games to claim/redeem from Club Nintendo

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

The Gunman Clive games are great (though 1 is now available on PC).

I've heard great things about Pushmo and Crashmo but I still haven't gotten around to playing them.

Robin64

Wii U or 3DS? Or both..?

NES Remix 1 and 2 are pretty essential on Wii U in my opinion, as is Pullblox World.

Some of the Guild games on 3DS are well worth it too, such as Friday Monsters and Crimson Shroud.

tolkir

I dunno... Mutant Mudds, 1001 Spikes, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Mighty Switch Force 2, two Adventure Time games, half of the NES VC library, and an argument could be made for Mighty Switch Force and Steamworld Dig. That's just off the top of my head.

And even if there's not a lot so far they have to start somewhere. Even PSN only had crossbuy for minis and PSOne games at first.

Only I hope after Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars, we'll see more crossbuy.

Only I hope after Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars, we'll see more crossbuy.
Speaking of that to show I've been sleeping on the job (TM) I was rather shocked when I saw the borders in this preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSNb1YZogxU
Looking at the screenshots on the NOE website (http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii...Donkey-Kong-Tipping-Stars-893004.html#Gallery) what happens is the TV shows the full screen but Gamepad is zoomed in, so it is kind of like the DK attraction in Nintendo Land except you're going to need to look at the Gamepad screen to do things.

I also notice it says "Please note: due to differences in hardware, in some rare instances, user-created levels may not be playable on both versions of the game."

Also download sizes (from the NOE boxart), 3DS 3200 blocks, Wii U 0.94 GB

GulAtiCa

For Wii U, there is a category on eShop that lists exclusives. Generally only good/decent games are in there. Check it out. No idea on 3DS, But Gunman Clive 2 is great!

Top Bottom