• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

foltzie1

Just bought SMG2. Looks like "patch in pro controller support" will join my club nintendo demands.

I don't recall how much the pointer is used but the eShop page and people here have already stated that only games with CC support can use the gamepad or pro controller. I don't know how significant the work would be to enable CC support to a game that never had it.

Does anyone have an idea on how controller support could work?

You could map the pointer to the second analog stick, but I wager it would stink.

BooJoh

Does anyone have an idea on how controller support could work?

You could map the pointer to the second analog stick, but I wager it would stink.

You could also map the pointer to the touchscreen but that would be just as bad. Imagine trying to hold the gamepad in one hand while using the stylus AND buttons in the other. It's just not practical without modifying the game's basic controls to support CC.

maxcriden

Normally I wouldn't post this in here, but if anyone wants my SMG2 CIB on the cheap (I'm in the US), I'd gladly pick up the digital copy instead. PM me if you like. :)

tumblr_m7u5ie1fIo1rpymsbo1_500.gif

tumblr_lnioezhNOX1qedzjao1_500.gif

CraigMcD

It's cross buy in name only; but not fluid like NOE. So it shows to me that NOA still has issues.

NOA process:
1. Buy MvD receive code to enter on the other system
2. Enter code to download

Essentially it is the same thing, but NOA's process isn't the same; due to "reasons".

That's the EU process as well.

donny2112

Normally I wouldn't post this in here, but if anyone wants my SMG2 CIB on the cheap (I'm in the US), I'd gladly pick up the digital copy instead. PM me if you like. :)

Is it worth having it digitally on Wii without having to go through the extra steps of Wii mode for $10? It is for me. :)

I was pretty hyped by the Wii on WiiU eShop announcement
the n3DS bullshit they announced later totally killed my excitement though

For real, I'm totally picking up punch out. I felt bad for not picking up the one from CN months ago. The latest one for $10 bucks is a hell yeah.

maxcriden

Is it worth having it digitally on Wii without having to go through the extra steps of Wii mode for $10? It is for me. :)

I mean, I think so, yeah. So I figure I may as well divest my physical collection as they're uploaded on the Wii shop, except for games where I want to keep the save file, like Kirby's Epic Yarn. :)

donny2112

except for games where I want to keep the save file, like Kirby's Epic Yarn. :)

That's been a real advantage of disk-based games for a while. NES, SNES, N64: Game broke/battery died, you lost all your saves. GCN, Wii, Wii U: Game broke/scratched, get another used for cheap, and it's like nothing happened. :)

maxcriden

It doesn't copy over the save file?

Definitely not. That would be essentially forwards-compatibility in this case. I don't think any manufacturer could offer that.

That's been a real advantage of disk-based games for a while. NES, SNES, N64: Game broke/battery died, you lost all your saves. GCN, Wii, Wii U: Game broke/scratched, get another used for cheap, and it's like nothing happened. :)

Absolutely. I've been a big fan of being able to go into my PS2 of late and see that games I was playing in 2000 still stored on my memory card! Pretty rad.

maxcriden

I definitely saw someone say that their save file carried over in another thread.

Wait, for real? I'm just assuming here. I presumed it couldn't possibly do so. If that's the case I'll gladly divest my collection as any games are put up for sale.

I'll check out the thread, a thousand parts for the misinformation. Thanks Zeeman!

Dude Street Fighter 2010 is the most absurdly bad beat em up that only got the SF name to sell a bad game.

BOF though, while a little archaic is a great new add to the VC. So hush!

BOF is great. Never ridiculed that one. It's just amazing to me that we keep getting more SF and MM when there's so much more.

I did my part and bought Pushmo World and Galaxy 2. Stil a great week with just that.

BooJoh

BOF is great. Never ridiculed that one. It's just amazing to me that we keep getting more SF and MM when there's so much more.

At least the MM games are completely different. If I wanted to buy SF2 I'd have to research the history of the franchise just to figure out which one to get.

Hip Hop

Guys, I want to sell my 3DS XL and was wondering if there is a way to unlink my Club Nintendo account and Nintendo ID account from the system without upgrading the firmware.

How can I go about it if I want to use them again on a 3DS in the future?

Is it possible? Both of those accounts are on my Wii U as well, will there be any issues?

Javier

There are 27 Mega Man games between the NES, SNES and GBA (I may have missed a couple) so it's not surprising it looks we're getting a lot of them.

I'm not complaining though, these games all have their fans and they deserve the exposition.

ngower

Downloaded Super Mario Galaxy 2. I had $5.01 in eShop credit so it was only $4.98. I played a few hours of SMG1, so this will be an experience. Been very eager to dip into the Galaxy games for a while. Might pick up Prime when it's available. Definitely excited to see what else is in the pipeline for Wii titles. Fantastic move from Nintendo and excellent introductory pricing.

Downloaded Super Mario Galaxy 2. I had $5.01 in eShop credit so it was only $4.98. I played a few hours of SMG1, so this will be an experience. Been very eager to dip into the Galaxy games for a while. Might pick up Prime when it's available. Definitely excited to see what else is in the pipeline for Wii titles. Fantastic move from Nintendo and excellent introductory pricing.

Let us know how the Gamepad is implemented, if at all.

I have a disc copy I'd gladly trade in for the digital DL.

Nairume

Banned
Wait, for real? I'm just assuming here. I presumed it couldn't possibly do so. If that's the case I'll gladly divest my collection as any games are put up for sale.

I'll check out the thread, a thousand parts for the misinformation. Thanks Zeeman!
I can confirm that my save definitely made it over and works, and I had only ever played SMG2 once before :p

Gamepad is just a screen and a sensor bar for SMG2 since the game only ever used Wiimote+Nunchuck.

maxcriden

For those curious, here's a list of all Nintendo-published games for Wii (those without a full Western release only have one checkmark, list is from Wikipedia):

The Last Story Mistwalker, AQ Interactive Nintendo Xseed Games NA 2011 2012 NA PAL ✔ ✔ ✔
Animal Crossing: City Folk Nintendo EAD Nintendo 2008 ✔ ✔ ✔
Another Code: R – A Journey into Lost Memories Cing Nintendo 2009 ✔ ✔
Atrévete a Soñar Televisa Nintendo 2010 ✔
Battalion Wars 2 Kuju Entertainment Nintendo 2007 ✔ ✔ ✔
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree Big Brain Academy for WiiPAL Wii de Yawaraka Atama JukuJP Nintendo EAD Nintendo 2007 ✔ ✔ ✔
Captain Rainbow Skip Nintendo 2008 ✔
Chibi-Robo! Skip Nintendo Nintendo 2009 ✔
Disaster: Day of Crisis Monolith Soft Nintendo 2008 ✔ ✔
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast Paon Nintendo 2007 ✔ ✔ ✔
Donkey Kong Country Returns Retro Studios
Nintendo Nintendo 2010 ✔ ✔ ✔
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat Nintendo Nintendo 2009 ✔ ✔ ✔
Endless Ocean Arika Nintendo 2007 ✔ ✔ ✔
Endless Ocean: Blue World Arika Nintendo 2010 ✔ ✔ ✔
Everyone's Common Knowledge Television Nintendo Nintendo 2008 ✔
Excite Truck Monster Games Nintendo 2006 ✔ ✔ ✔
Excitebots: Trick Racing Monster Games Nintendo 2009 ✔
Eyeshield 21: Field no Saikyou Senshi Tachi Eighting Nintendo 2007 ✔
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Intelligent Systems Nintendo 2007 ✔ ✔ ✔
FlingSmash Artoon Nintendo 2010 ✔ ✔ ✔
Fortune Street Square Enix Nintendo 2011 ✔ ✔ ✔
Just Dance Wii Ubisoft Paris Nintendo 2011 ✔
Just Dance Wii 2 Ubisoft Paris Nintendo 2012 ✔
And-Kensaku Shift Nintendo 2009 ✔ ✔
Kiki Trick Nintendo Nintendo 2012 ✔
Kirby's Dream Collection HAL Laboratory Nintendo 2012 ✔ ✔
Kirby's Epic Yarn Good-Feel Nintendo 2010 ✔ ✔ ✔
Kirby's Return to Dream Land NA
Hoshi no Kirby Wii JP
Kirby's Adventure Wii PAL HAL Laboratory Nintendo 2011 ✔ ✔ ✔
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Nintendo Nintendo 2006 ✔ ✔ ✔
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Nintendo Nintendo 2011 ✔ ✔ ✔
Line Attack Heroes Grezzo Games Nintendo 2009 ✔
Link's Crossbow Training Nintendo Nintendo 2007 ✔ ✔ ✔
Mario Kart Wii Nintendo Nintendo 2008 ✔ ✔ ✔
Mario Party 8 Hudson Soft Nintendo 2007 ✔ ✔ ✔
Mario Party 9 Nd Cube Co., Ltd. Nintendo 2012 ✔ ✔ ✔
Mario Power Tennis Camelot Nintendo 2009 ✔ ✔ ✔
Mario Sports Mix Square Enix Nintendo 2010
2011 NA PAL ✔ ✔ ✔
Mario Strikers Charged Next Level Games Nintendo 2007 ✔ ✔ ✔
Mario Super Sluggers Namco Nintendo 2008 ✔ ✔
Metroid: Other M Nintendo
Team Ninja
D-Rockets Nintendo 2010 ✔ ✔ ✔
Metroid Prime Retro Studios Nintendo 2009 ✔
Metroid Prime 2 Retro Studios Nintendo 2009 ✔
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Retro Studios Nintendo 2007 ✔ ✔ ✔
Metroid Prime: Trilogy Retro Studios Nintendo 2009 ✔ ✔
Minna no Joushiki Ryoku TV HAL Laboratory Nintendo 2008 ✔
Mystery Case Files: The Malgrave Incident Big Fish Games Nintendo 2011 ✔ ✔
New Super Mario Bros. Wii Nintendo EAD Nintendo 2009 ✔ ✔ ✔
NHK Kōhaku Quiz Gassen Nintendo EAD Nintendo 2009 ✔
Pandora's Tower Ganbarion Nintendo 2011 ✔ ✔ ✔
Pikmin Nintendo Nintendo 2009 ✔ ✔ ✔
Pikmin 2 Nintendo Nintendo 2009
2012 NA ✔ ✔ ✔
Pokémon Battle Revolution Genius Sonority Nintendo 2006 ✔ ✔ ✔
PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure Creatures Inc. Nintendo 2009
2010 NA PAL ✔ ✔ ✔
PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond Creatures Inc. Nintendo 2011 ✔ ✔ ✔
Project Zero 2: Wii Edition Tecmo Koei Nintendo 2012 ✔ ✔
Punch-Out!! Next Level Games Nintendo 2009 ✔ ✔ ✔
Quiz Party Wizarbox Nintendo 2012 ✔
Rhythm Heaven Fever NA
Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise PAL
Minna no Rhythm Tengoku JP Nintendo Nintendo 2011JP
2012NA,PAL ✔ ✔ ✔
Sin & Punishment: Star SuccessorNA
Sin and Punishment: Sora no KōkeishaJP
Sin and Punishment: Successor of the SkiesPAL Treasure Nintendo 2009 ✔ ✔ ✔
Super Mario All-Stars Nintendo Nintendo 2010 ✔ ✔ ✔
Super Mario Galaxy Nintendo Nintendo 2007 ✔ ✔ ✔
Super Mario Galaxy 2 Nintendo Nintendo 2010 ✔ ✔ ✔
Super Paper Mario Intelligent Systems Nintendo 2007 ✔ ✔ ✔
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Sora Ltd. Nintendo 2008 ✔ ✔ ✔
Takt of Magic Nintendo 2009 ✔
Wario Land: Shake It! Good Feel Nintendo 2008 ✔ ✔ ✔
WarioWare: Smooth Moves Nintendo
Intelligent Systems Nintendo 2006 ✔ ✔ ✔
Wii Chess Spice Games Nintendo 2008 ✔ ✔
Wii Fit Nintendo Nintendo 2007 ✔ ✔ ✔
Wii Fit Plus Nintendo Nintendo 2009 ✔ ✔ ✔
Wii Music Nintendo Nintendo 2008 ✔ ✔ ✔
Wii Party Nintendo Nintendo 2010 ✔ ✔ ✔
Wii Play Nintendo Nintendo 2006 ✔ ✔ ✔
Wii Play Motion Nintendo Nintendo 2011 ✔ ✔ ✔
Wii Sports Nintendo Nintendo 2006 ✔ ✔ ✔
Wii Sports Resort Nintendo Nintendo 2009
Xenoblade Chronicles Monolith Soft Nintendo 2010
Zangeki no REGINLEIV Sandlot Nintendo 2010
Zero: Tsukihami no Kamen

Oh man, you are in for a treat for sure. You're going to love it. And hopefully you'll get to go back and play SMG1 next!

AKVrXgL.gif

I can confirm that my save definitely made it over and works, and I had only ever played SMG2 once before :p

Omigosh. That's awesome. Seriously. Thank you Nairume!

Alright, Wii VC it is. Rock on.

ngower

As far as I can tell, the only real use of the Gamepad is to mirror the screen itself.

I'm not sure if the same is said of playing the disc-based game in Wii mode, but you can certainly notice some dated resolution here. Will definitely be interested to see how the other games turn out visually. I know they're just ports/emulators, basically, but it's still a bit disappointing how dated the game looks.

maxcriden

As far as I can tell, the only real use of the Gamepad is to mirror the screen itself.

I'm not sure if the same is said of playing the disc-based game in Wii mode, but you can certainly notice some dated resolution here. Will definitely be interested to see how the other games turn out visually. I know they're just ports/emulators, basically, but it's still a bit disappointing how dated the game looks.

Oh, it definitely looks dated in SD. Takes your eyes a bit to get used to the jaggies when you've been playing, say, 3DW and other Wii U games.

That's pretty much the same in Wii Mode. In Wii Mode, and I assume through the eShop, it's still a touch sharper than playing through a Wii, though.

So no Wii Gamepad control?

Boo. I don't know why I was expecting more then that but oh well.

I'll just grab punch out & Metroid prime then.

Nairume

Banned
Oh, it definitely looks dated in SD. Takes your eyes a bit to get used to the jaggies when you've been playing, say, 3DW and other Wii U games.

That's pretty much the same in Wii Mode. In Wii Mode, and I assume through the eShop, it's still a touch sharper than playing through a Wii, though.
Actually, it appears to *be* Wii mode.

It doesn't go into the menu like you do to play a disc game, but pressing the home button has the same effect (that being it brings up the Wii's home menu, and not the WiiU's home menu)

maxcriden

Actually, it appears to *be* Wii mode.

It doesn't go into the menu like you do to play a disc game, but pressing the home button has the same effect (that being it brings up the Wii's home menu, and not the WiiU's home menu)

Oh, weird. Well, that explains it. Still, I can't complain. That's neat. If you click the Home button from it, though, does it go to the Wii Mode menu?

sörine

Banned
I wonder if they'll add CC to Gamepad control for Wii mode in general now? I'd totally love to replay La-Mulana, Megaman 9/10, Konami's ReBirth trilogy, N64 VC and a bunch of other stuff I've got sitting on my SD card. Also Nintendo really should've just done button mapping for SMG2 amd future Wii games where it makes sense. The game could be completely playable with the Gamepad if they wanted to do it.

Also, forget DS Virtual Console on Wii U, just give me digital DS games on 3DS. But uh, about that 300 game limit...

Nairume

Banned
Oh, weird. Well, that explains it. Still, I can't complain. That's neat. If you click the Home button from it, though, does it go to the Wii Mode menu?
It brings up the menu that you get for pressing home in a Wii game, but closing the game returns you to the WiiU side.

maxcriden

It brings up the menu that you get for pressing home in a Wii game, but closing the game returns you to the WiiU side.

I guess what I mean is, when you click "home" on that menu, does it bring you back to Wii U?

Maybe that's what you're answering above, sorry. :)

Nairume

Banned
sörine;147500900 said:
I wonder if they'll add CC to Gamepad control for Wii mode in general now? I'd totally love to replay La-Mulana, Megaman 9/10, Konami's ReBirth trilogy, N64 VC and a bunch of other stuff I've got sitting on my SD card.
Since it's loading things up as Wii games (and thus making it to where it wouldn't have access to the normal WiiU features), the only way they could get the vWii to recognize the gamepad as a classic controller would be to update the vWii to actually think the pad is a cc. Mario Galaxy 2 actually pulls from any save you already have on the vWii, so it's not creating its own instance of a vWii. Going by that, it seems like they'd have to actually update the vWii in general to recognize the gamepad's input.

That said, it doesn't do this now because SMG2 doesn't have cc support and thus they wouldn't have needed to do so. We probably won't know for sure if it'll be a system wide thing until something comes out that uses it, but I'm inclinded to belive that it will
(and yes, I know this is almost certainly going to get a "YES BUT NINTENDO IS AWFUL" response)

Also Nintendo really should've just done button mapping for SMG2 amd future Wii games where it makes sense. The game could be completely playable with the Gamepad if they wanted to do it.
Donkey Kong, Punch-Out, and Metroid, sure.

From the little time I've spent with SMG2, it seems like playing it with an analog stick replacing the pointer would be super clunky.

I guess what I mean is, when you click "home" on that menu, does it bring you back to Wii U?

Maybe that's what you're answering above, sorry. :)
Yeah, when you exit out of SMG2 it just takes you back to the WiiU, even though it shows up as the Wii's pause menu.

maxcriden

Yeah, when you exit out of SMG2 it just takes you back to the WiiU, even though it shows up as the Wii's pause menu.

Oh, neat, thank you! Sorry to be a bit slow on the uptake tonight, fighting off a headache. :)

As for the control issue: I think it's good as is. I'm surprised there will be any games playable on the GamePad. With complex 3D games (so N64 forward) I really have no expectation for GamePad compatibility, and I think the difficulty there is part of why N64 VC is a low priority for Nintendo.

zroid

Banned
Captain Rainbow Skip Nintendo 2008 ✔
Chibi-Robo! Skip Nintendo Nintendo 2009 ✔
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Intelligent Systems Nintendo 2007 ✔ ✔ ✔
Kiki Trick Nintendo Nintendo 2012 ✔
Zangeki no REGINLEIV Sandlot Nintendo 2010

These are the ones I would buy! Don't really expect them to localize games especially for the Wii U eShop though, so Chibi-Robo and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn please.

edit: I forgot that it was the GC version of Chibi-Robo that was localized... well at least most of the work is done

Nairume

Banned
As for the control issue: I think it's good as is. I'm surprised there will be any games playable on the GamePad. With complex 3D games (so N64 forward) I really have no expectation for GamePad compatibility, and I think the difficulty there is part of why N64 VC is a low priority for Nintendo.

Thing is, once they have it to where vWii can recognize the gamepad as a classic controller, any Wii game that uses a CC will work with it.

Reasonably speaking, they could just as well put the existing 64 VC games for the Wii up on eShop and call it day at that point.

maxcriden

These are the ones I would buy! Don't really expect them to localize games especially for the Wii U eShop though, so Chibi-Robo and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn please.

edit: I forgot that it was the GC version of Chibi-Robo that was localized... well at least most of the work is done

Yeah, I don't think they'll localize anything TBH. I'd be legit shocked if they did. Chibi-Robo really needs to have that third game come out in a translated form someday, though. Seems weird to bring 2/3 games only when the third was a Wii title!

Thing is, once they have it to where vWii can recognize the gamepad as a classic controller, any Wii game that uses a CC will work with it.

Reasonably speaking, they could just as well put the existing 64 VC games for the Wii up on eShop and call it day at that point.

That's true. I just don't know if the core tech is different somehow but if it's just a loader as you're describing, hopefully they could...somehow...patch it in to recognize it internally. That seems weird to me somehow, though. I don't know if updating the Wii U can access the vWii software in the way you're describing. We're beyond my knowledge on the topic already though, so I could be completely mistaken.

That's a good idea, though, about N64 VC. Wouldn't that be something! Plus, I don't think there are many Nintendo-published N64 games that could be put up for Wii U VC that weren't already on Wii VC, right? Maybe just DK64?

BooJoh

As far as I know, the GamePad works as a CC or a horizontal Wiimote. Punch-Out uses the horizontal wiimote option so it should be GamePad compatible.

The PR simply says "The Wii U GamePad can be used to control Wii games that were compatible with the Wii Classic Controller" so I wouldn't hold my breath.

sörine

Banned
Donkey Kong, Punch-Out, and Metroid, sure.

From the little time I've spent with SMG2, it seems like playing it with an analog stick replacing the pointer would be super clunky.
Only because an analog stick by nature is super clunky compared to IR pointing. Having 100%ed Galaxy 1 and come close on Galaxy 2, I can safely say both would be fully doable on the Gamepad. You lose precision but the star collecting/shooting was almost entirely superfluous anyway.

Top Bottom