• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

ohlawd

my complete save file for SMG2 is intact

lol tried Perfect Run. Been so damn long. Died, of course

omg this game tho. freaking immaculate. instant smile on my face when I read Master of Galaxies for my file

THIS GAME

Amusing we only get titles that came out in the USA here is my list

Pandora's Tower
Punch-Out!
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Wario Land: Shake It!

I thought there would be more I would have to pick up, but I guess what I'm missing is 3rd party wise.

Glass Joe

sörine;147500900 said:
I wonder if they'll add CC to Gamepad control for Wii mode in general now? I'd totally love to replay La-Mulana, Megaman 9/10, Konami's ReBirth trilogy, N64 VC and a bunch of other stuff I've got sitting on my SD card. Also Nintendo really should've just done button mapping for SMG2 amd future Wii games where it makes sense. The game could be completely playable with the Gamepad if they wanted to do it.

Yeah, we have a legit shot of actually getting Mega Man 9 & 10 now! I'm suddenly a lot more interested in any Wii game that uses the classic controller.

It's interesting that they've got the Gamepad doubling as a classic controller. I imagine there must have been a major setback before, otherwise they wouldn't have waited 2 1/2 years for such a function and the Virtual Console service would have played out much differently. Every Wii Virtual Console game uses CC, so every VC game including existing Genesis, Neo Geo, and N64 would be playable with the flip of a switch. Miiverse wouldn't be possible, but I'm expecting some exciting developments in the near future now. Even Gamecube could very well be a possibility.

I imagine there must be a firmware update coming because someone, somewhere must have tested out the gamepad in Wii mode with a classic controller compatible game. If we get a U console update soon, that will be the first thing I check (if old VC is now runnable off-Tv).

That said, I'm quite bummed games that didn't utilize the CC won't be compatible. It wouldn't be the ideal set-up but Galaxy 2 for sure could get away with using the right analog when you want to play on the pad. With a little more effort, they could get it touchpad compatible to collect the stars / use Yoshi etc. In fact, you'd think leveraging the benefits of the Gamepad would be a top priority instead of releasing games that are just plum incompatible with it. But Galaxy 2 would be one of the trickier titles to implement a new scheme too. I just don't think it would be THAT tricky.

I remain hopeful that Punch-Out will be changed to include support, since you can just play that with the Wiimote sideways "NES style." It would be a damn same not to make that available. If certain games have to be patched before being uploaded to the shop, that would be the easiest type of patch I would think.

We'll have to see how this all affects the VC release schedule. I already noticed they're sticking with the Thursday date moving forward but despite my initial negativity and criticism, this is a positive and exciting development and can easily help with software gaps.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, just saw a few more Wii titles confirmed for Wii U eShop in Japan:

- Kirby's Return to Dreamland (Japan gets this instead of MP Trilogy in 2 weeks)
- Sin & Punishment: Star Successor (GET THIS)
- Zangeki no Reginleiv
- Pandora's Tower

I must say, at the very least, Nintendo's already confirmed/released some of the bigger games already. I wouldn't mind getting Pandora's Tower to go with my physical copies of Xenoblade & Last Story.

We probably won't get Zangeki no Reginleiv, but hopefully the other three will come to the US eShop soon enough over the months.

Edit: Oh snap, just remembered 3D After Burner II is today. Can't wait to get it after class.

daydream

Banned
What an opportunity to give us Trauma Team, Disney's Guilty Party, Shiren The Wanderer, Arc Rise Fantasia, Fishing Resort, Kirby's Dream Collection and Excitebots!

PvpdjOI.gif

RiggyRob

Question: I'm probably going to need to do some fridge management when Metroid Prime Trilogy comes out since its 8GB, and I can see that Wii Fit U (Trial version) takes 4GB since I unlocked the full version with a Fit Meter. If I delete it, will I be able to redownload the full version again or will it just be the trial version not unlocked (I.e. Not unlocked by a Fit Meter)?

tolkir

What an opportunity to give us Trauma Team, Disney's Guilty Party, Shiren The Wanderer, Arc Rise Fantasia, Fishing Resort, Kirby's Dream Collection and Excitebots!

But Wii U is still region-locked. So it must change something to give us those games.

maxcriden

my complete save file for SMG2 is intact

lol tried Perfect Run. Been so damn long. Died, of course

omg this game tho. freaking immaculate. instant smile on my face when I read Master of Galaxies for my file

THIS GAME

I need to replay SMG2. Never did the Green Stars business or the Perfect Run. Wanna play those.

- Kirby's Return to Dreamland (Japan gets this instead of MP Trilogy in 2 weeks)
- Zangeki no Reginleiv
- Pandora's Tower

I must say, at the very least, Nintendo's already confirmed/released some of the bigger games already. I wouldn't mind getting Pandora's Tower to go with my physical copies of Xenoblade & Last Story.

We probably won't get Zangeki no Reginleiv, but hopefully the other three will come to the US eShop soon enough over the months.

Edit: Oh snap, just remembered 3D After Burner II is today. Can't wait to get it after class.

Wow, great line-up in JP. Man, RTDL is an incredible Kirby game and one of my favorites ever. I have to say I did like it even better than Triple Deluxe. It's so pricy normally, I'm psyched that people will get to play it.

All these threads in the normal Gaming section complaining about NOA has put a big smile on my face. People are beginning to wake up to NOA shenanigans.

That said, I'm not going to mention Zero Mission or DKC until the Wii version comes out. If they don't do a cross promotion with the Wii game and the equivalent then it's time to complain again :D

Make me happy NOA!

But I will say this. I am very concerned about the releases of VC with Wii titles coming now.

zigg

Don't toy with my heart like that.

…excite… *sob*

I actually stilll have a disc copy

They killed the network play for that, didn't they…

maxcriden

I always forget y'all didn't get the Dream Collection. They really need to find a way to get that to EU. Amazing collection. I'd never heard of Disney's Guilty Party till now but licensed games seem rare to be re-released to begin with so I presume it won't show up here in NA either on the eShop. Trauma Team you'll have to bug Atlus about...I'd start emailing them today. ;)

Don't toy with my heart like that.

…excite… *sob*

I actually stilll have a disc copy

They killed the network play for that, didn't they…

Yeah, they did. :'( BTW, are you not in NA? I'd always thought you were.

Roldan

I haven't found any big thread for a general discussion about Nintendo stuff, so I'll ask here, if it isn't a problem.

Does anyone know if the OG 3DS had a white version in the US?

I'm tempted in buying the first one (I don't like XL/2DS, and was baffled by the lack of a regular N3DS), and I found a white 3DS for sale on the internet. The guy claims that the 3DS is from the US, but I think the white version released only on Japan and Europe, no?

Then again, there's "Nintendo of America" written on the AR cards plastic.

Help me, GAF. pls

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I bought Galaxy 2 but it is not showing on my Club Nintendo. Anyone else?
I don't think we know how CN works yet when it comes to Wii downloads. Maybe it's just post-play surveys? I don't see it under "Download any new games?" so I'm not sure if they count or not.

Help me, GAF. pls
There was a white version, but it seems only Japan & EU got it. US didn't.

maxcriden

I haven't found any big thread for a general discussion about Nintendo stuff, so I'll ask here, if it isn't a problem.

I'm tempted in buying the first one (I don't like XL/2DS, and was baffled by the lack of a regular N3DS), and I found a white 3DS for sale on the internet. The guy claims that the 3DS is from the US, but I think the white version released only on Japan and Europe, no?

Then again, there's "Nintendo of America" written on the AR cards plastic.

Help me, GAF. pls

Looked online, I don't see any evidence it ever came to the US.

daydream

Banned
But Wii U is still region-locked. So it must change something to give us those games.

For the record, I was mostly kidding (re.: my expectations, I would really love to see the games I named and I would buy all of them) but I'd think it'd be easier to release those titles digitally, saving a lot of localisation costs and whatnot. I think we totally would have seen some of those titles digitally if there had been a Games on Demand service on Wii. The region locking itself would be easy to bypass, I'd think (at least technically speaking, maybe not from a contractual standpoint).

Javier

I bought Galaxy 2 but it is not showing on my Club Nintendo. Anyone else?
Well... games bought on Wii Shop on a Wii U don't add to Club Nintendo, so I wonder if Wii games have the same conditions (even if they are purchased on Wii U eShop).

Then again, it hasn't been 24 hours yet. Give it a few hours.

Roldan

Looked online, I don't see any evidence it ever came to the US.

I don't think we know how CN works yet when it comes to Wii downloads. Maybe it's just post-play surveys? I don't see it under "Download any new games?" so I'm not sure if they count or not.

There was a white version, but it seems only Japan & EU got it. US didn't.

As I imagined. Thanks, guys.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This week's update:

Jan. 15, 2015

This week’s Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:
Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS

3D After Burner II – 3D After Burner II is a remastered version of the arcade classic. Pilot your F-14D fighter through enemy territory while blasting away squadrons of enemy fighters. Click here to watch a trailer for the game.

Virtual Console on Nintendo 3DS

Lufia: The Legend Returns – Join a cast of 12 playable characters in this classic Game Boy Color turn-based adventure filled with love, hope, terror and revenge. Complete quests to open up new paths, level up by battling monstrous enemies and gain new abilities by finding Ancient Texts hidden within dungeons and caves.

Virtual Console on Wii U

Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight – In this NES classic, Ken has retired from his glory days in the Street Fighter world, but he must return to his roots when he finds his friend missing. Jump, climb and fight past monstrous enemies as Ken teleports across the galaxy to set things right.

Nintendo eShop Sales

Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS
The Throwback Sale is on! Generations of fun come together as we pair classic games from past Nintendo systems with their newer siblings on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. Going on now until Feb. 5 at 8:59 a.m. PT, we’ll offer weekly discounts on select game pairings like Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Super Mario 3D World. Buy one or buy both games in each pairing – either way, you’ll get great savings during the sale. Check out www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers#throwback-sale for more details.

Nintendo eShop on Wii U
Loads of indie hits are now on sale during the Super Indie Connection Sale #2. Now through 8:59 a.m. PT on Jan. 29, fans who own any of the participating games already – or purchase one at full price during the promotion – qualify to receive 60 percent off any of the other participating games. Check out http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers for more details.

Price Reductions

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham for Wii U has been reduced to $39.99 (from $49.99).
The LEGO Movie Videogame for Wii U has been reduced to $19.99 (from $29.99).
LEGO The Hobbit for Wii U has been reduced to $19.99 (from $29.99).
LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham for Nintendo 3DS has been reduced to $19.99 (from $29.99).
Soccer Up 3D for Nintendo 3DS has been reduced to $2.99 (from $6.99).

Also New this Week
Electronic Super Joy: Groove City (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Family Tennis SP (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
uWordsmith (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Asterix The Mansions of the Gods – Demo Version (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Best of Mahjong (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Soccer Up Online (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Space Lift Danger Panic! (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Quell Memento (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS) – Available Jan. 16
WRC Official Game of the FIA World Rally Championship – Full and Demo Versions (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)

SerTapTap

Groove City so quick? It's a fun game, I enjoyed it (video review/let's play), it's short though, best for someone who wants to optimize their time and speedrun/whatever. Also it's quite hard.

Also did I mis-hear them in the Nintendo direct saying that some of the Wii games would support the gamepad, or was that just as a display not as inputs? Jumped on Galaxy because of price regardless

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, this week, the Throwback Sale starts. Current offering

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 9.99$
Super Mario 3D World - 44.99$
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 - 5.99$
Yoshi's New Island - 29.99$
Pushmo - 3.49$
Pushmo World - 7.49$

It'll happen again next weeks, with other titles. Weekly sales on some Nintendo titles, old and new, good.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, it sounds like next week the NES & possibly SNES Punch-Out games will be on sale with the Wii version, then the Metroids to go with Prime Trilogy in 2 weeks.

SerTapTap

As much as I hate to recommend the GBA version of the game, if you haven't played Yoshi's Island it's a great time to pick it up. Ignore New Island.

maxcriden

Throwback sale is pretty solid. I wonder what the 2/5 game will be. Is DKCR and DKC Trilogy too much to hope for? I know EU at least had a DKC sale when it came out so maybe this could be similar.

BTW, speaking of wishful thinking I'd love to see DKCR patched with non-motion controls somehow. I'll probably try it again on Wii for the 60 fps but the shake-to-roll mechanic never really clicked for me.

<3 <3 <3 Mega Squeekly

Eager to see the Indie Connection sale, not up as of yet on that Offers page though.

ETA: I'm dumb, there is no 2/5 Wii game Throwback Sale. The sale goes *through* 2/5.

Also did I mis-hear them in the Nintendo direct saying that some of the Wii games would support the gamepad, or was that just as a display not as inputs? Jumped on Galaxy because of price regardless

The games will be mirrored on the GamePad as in Wii Mode, and only games that supported the Classic Controller for Wii will be eligible to use the GamePad as a control input.

Kodaman

Eager to see the Indie Connection sale, not up as of yet on that Offers page though.

I found this:
TM_SuperIndieConnectionSale_enGB_news_detail_packshot.jpg

Teslagrad
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
SteamWorld Dig
Chasing Aurora
Swords & Soldiers
BIT.TRIP Presents&#8230; Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien

Nice.. will pick up Teslgrad

I found this:

Teslagrad
SteamWorld Dig
Chasing Aurora
Swords & Soldiers
BIT.TRIP Presents… Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien

Awesome sale. Great week other than the 1 single VC game on Wii U.

People buy Guacamelee. Best 2D Metroid :0

SerTapTap

BTW, speaking of wishful thinking I'd love to see DKCR patched with non-motion controls somehow. I'll probably try it again on Wii for the 60 fps but the shake-to-roll mechanic never really clicked for me.

This is exactly what I wanted gamepad controls for (though the waggle and pointing are already annoying me in Galaxy 2). Roll and pound being the same button bothered me enough in DKCTF, I can already tell shake to roll will drive me nuts.

The games will be mirrored on the GamePad as in Wii Mode, and only games that supported the Classic Controller for Wii will be eligible to use the GamePad as a control input.

Oh, dang. Well, better than the current wii mode anyway. Controls were a big area of wasted potential for Wii, lots of options, but a ton of games don't support classic/pro/etc controllers where the game really doesn't NEED motion controls. Lots of stuff uses wiimote sideways only, no motion control, but still doesn't do pro controller, that's silly. Or alternately, it uses the wiimote, but waggle is the only motion input, and that can just be mapped to a button.

I wonder how extensive their Wii collection will get, wishfully thinking I want all the expensive first party published games, Kirby's Return to Dreamland will be a great start because I know a lot of people skipped it due to it never dropping in price. It's an awesome game, probably my fav since Super Star/Ultra in terms of gameplay.

maxcriden

I found this:

Teslagrad
SteamWorld Dig
Chasing Aurora
Swords & Soldiers
BIT.TRIP Presents… Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien

That's the EU sale announced earlier in the week, I wasn't sure if the NA games are the same. Thank you though! If so I think Chasing Aurora might be worth a look. :)

Actually, has anyone here played it? Any good?

GulAtiCa

Chasing Aurora is pretty, but multiplayer only. No SP. So Don't get if you never intend to play with friends in sport-arcade like gameplay.

SerTapTap

That's the EU sale announced earlier in the week, I wasn't sure if the NA games are the same. Thank you though! If so I think Chasing Aurora might be worth a look. :)

Actually, has anyone here played it? Any good?

I've only played the sort-of sequel, Secrets of Raetikon, but the gameplay was a bit eh, very unguided and slow, and not particularly satisfying. Not totally awful, but I couldn't get too far in it. Visuals looked great, but the exploration felt like a let down. FWIW, reviews seem to paint both games in a similar light.

Chasing Aurora is pretty, but multiplayer only. No SP. So Don't get if you never intend to play with friends in sport-arcade like gameplay.

Oh, I guess it's a lot more different than I thought.

daydream

Banned
Yeah, Secrets of Raetikon is actually the thing I wanted them to make after playing Chasing Aurora (so, an exploration-based single-player experience of sorts with the same mechanics) but that also turned out to be disappointing, going by the general reception.

Can't recommend CA, honestly. You know how even bad games can become good when played with friends? CA manages to be boring despite its multiplyer focus.

SerTapTap

It's a shame, I love their visual style, their flight idea isn't a bad one, the games themselves just don't seem to support it properly.

Nairume

Banned
So I'd like to give a healthy reminder that Lufia: The Legend Returns is super good and totally worth getting if you want a solid RPG for on the go.

maxcriden

This is exactly what I wanted gamepad controls for (though the waggle and pointing are already annoying me in Galaxy 2). Roll and pound being the same button bothered me enough in DKCTF, I can already tell shake to roll will drive me nuts.

Oh, dang. Well, better than the current wii mode anyway. Controls were a big area of wasted potential for Wii, lots of options, but a ton of games don't support classic/pro/etc controllers where the game really doesn't NEED motion controls. Lots of stuff uses wiimote sideways only, no motion control, but still doesn't do pro controller, that's silly. Or alternately, it uses the wiimote, but waggle is the only motion input, and that can just be mapped to a button.

I wonder how extensive their Wii collection will get, wishfully thinking I want all the expensive first party published games, Kirby's Return to Dreamland will be a great start because I know a lot of people skipped it due to it never dropping in price. It's an awesome game, probably my fav since Super Star/Ultra in terms of gameplay.

I very much doubt, unfortunately, that they'll change DKCR so significantly. It is a bummer though as the shake-to-roll really frustrated me when playing the game. I normally like motion controls for the most part, they just didn't work for me in this instance. TF was such a massive step up to have button controls *and* 60 fps.

Also, RTDL is so great. Really hoping it comes to NA very soon.

I've only played the sort-of sequel, Secrets of Raetikon, but the gameplay was a bit eh, very unguided and slow, and not particularly satisfying. Not totally awful, but I couldn't get too far in it. Visuals looked great, but the exploration felt like a let down. FWIW, reviews seem to paint both games in a similar light.

Oh, I guess it's a lot more different than I thought.

Yeah, Secrets of Raetikon is actually the thing I wanted them to make after playing Chasing Aurora (so, an exploration-based single-player experience of sorts with the same mechanics) but that also turned out to be disappointing, going by the general reception.

Can't recommend CA, honestly. You know how even bad games can become good when played with friends? CA manages to be boring despite its multiplyer focus.

Oh, blegh. Forget that, then. Thanks guys!

So with the Wii games priced at $20 regularly I suppose that indirectly confirms that 64 will be $10 (as it was) and GC @ 15 if it ever comes. I can deal with that.

Should I bite on the GBA version of Yoshi's Island or pray we get the SNES version one day?

maxcriden

Head's-up for those with a JP 3DS:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/245219-japan-3ds-eshop-sale-cuts-40-off-multiple-titles

- get a special app via SpotPass
- search for "51105102" in the eShop to get the app
- app allows you to grab multiple titles for 40% off

First Batch - January 15-28

Kid Icarus
Super Mario 3D Land
Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Animal Crossing
A-Train 3D
Phoenix Wright 1-3 Collection
Hatsune Miku Project Mirai 2
Little Battlers Experience - Danball Senki Wars
Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder
Dillon's Rolling Western
Azure Striker Gunvolt

Second Batch - January 29-February 11

Zelda - A Link between Worlds
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Mario Kart 7
Luigis Mansion 2
Sengoku Musou Chronicle 2nd
Super Robot Wars UX
Story of Seasons
Fantasy Life LINK!
Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder
Dillon's Rolling Western
Azure Striker Gunvolt

Apparently this is a case of GAF > Internet > GAF, though, since the site cites this GAF thread.

So with the Wii games priced at $20 regularly I suppose that indirectly confirms that 64 will be $10 (as it was) and GC @ 15 if it ever comes. I can deal with that.

Should I bite on the GBA version of Yoshi's Island or pray we get the SNES version one day?

Just go for the GBA version for sure. It's a great port if you're like me and like or don't mind the voice effects. There are extra added levels, too.

tumblr_lxhtdh2tBD1ql5an1o1_500.gif

OmegaFax

Just go for the GBA version for sure. It's a great port if you're like me and like or don't mind the voice effects. There are extra added levels, too.

tumblr_lxhtdh2tBD1ql5an1o1_500.gif

The GBA port is okay. We'll probably never see the SNES version on the eShop because Nintendo isn't going to trouble themselves getting SuperFX properly emulated. It wasn't the graphics or sound quirks that bothered me as much as the cropping to accommodate the GBA's screen size and resolution. Side note, I kind of wondered if the Yoshi's New Island dev team only played the GBA version before making their game.

SerTapTap

I would have expected $20 for GC so this honestly isn't too bad considering.

It seems SNES isn't coming, apparently Nintendo probably lost the rights to the chip that it uses.

They added the voice effects?! AURHGHGCFFGHFFH

Nairume

Banned
Actually, it's worth noting that Baby Mario sounds less annoying in the GBA version.

I'll gladly take that in exchange for Yoshi grunts.

Nairume

Banned
Like Yoshi's Story? Still awful. The digital sounds had character without being annoying. Toddler noises are where Yoshi went downhill.
They are slightly toned down from Yoshi's Story, but it's basically the same noises.

But, again, they changed Baby Mario for the better, so take that as you will.

jmizzal

- Zangeki no Reginleiv
- Pandora's Tower

With these game being downloadable I hope they bring FF4 and FF2 remake along with Another Code R and Disaster Day of Crisis to NA, those games are done and in english would love Zangeki no Reginleiv and Captain Rainbow but those are long shots

maxcriden

Like Yoshi's Story? Still awful. The digital sounds had character without being annoying. Toddler noises are where Yoshi went downhill.

It's not quite to the point of Yoshi's Story. No (delightful) beatboxing Yoshi, either. As Nairume mentioned, Baby Mario's cries are a bit less stressfully piercing. I mean, it's a GBA --> Wii U port so the sound isn't going to be as crisp. But, it's still the amazingness that is Yoshi's Island.

tumblr_mjk4c6o1A21r9zabzo1_r2_400.gif

BTW, when .gif-searching I came across a YNI .gif:

lbewxwtlpqmybhkl482f.gif

Reminds me how good that game looks in motion. I know it's very much a NSMB-style of Yoshi's Island game, but I still enjoyed it.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is $10.99 in Canada. Not that I was going to buy it anyway, but they better not raise the price of VC games next. They're already grossly overpriced for what you get.

>mfw Europe gets the DKC trilogy discounted when DKCR is available for purchase
>mfw Metroid: Zero Mission doesn't show up alongside the Prime Trilogy

Top Bottom