• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

BooJoh

One of my favourite games. I've quad-dipped on VVVVVV at this point. I dare you to beat Veni Vidi Vici. You'll know it, when you get there.

Veni Vidi Vici took me like an entire day to clear, but I felt invincible when I finally did it.

Quick PSA for Europe.

Yesterday NOE had a power cut shutting their website down. It seems in switching things back on something went wrong with Club Nintendo. It has forgotten any thing on your account after 10th September (which was when some maintenance happened, hopefully this means the fault is as simple as the wrong thing was switched back on) but still remembers what slips were used...

As a result of this I don't recommend downloading anything from the eShop that would normally give Club Nintendo points as chances are it won't exist if/when they restore the proper records.

They've not said anything about their plans (in fact the only tweets said it was down due to power cut they never tweeted it was back to normal...) and I really doubt they'll say anything on New Years Day.

So now that you know don't get upset if you miss out on 50 stars from Shovel knight or whatever.

also

Banned
Quick PSA for Europe.

Yesterday NOE had a power cut shutting their website down. It seems in switching things back on something went wrong with Club Nintendo. It has forgotten any thing on your account after 10th September (which was when some maintenance happened, hopefully this means the fault is as simple as the wrong thing was switched back on) but still remembers what slips were used...

As a result of this I don't recommend downloading anything from the eShop that would normally give Club Nintendo points as chances are it won't exist if/when they restore the proper records.

They've not said anything about their plans (in fact the only tweets said it was down due to power cut they never tweeted it was back to normal...) and I really doubt they'll say anything on New Years Day.

So now that you know don't get upset if you miss out on 50 stars from Shovel knight or whatever.
It seems like they solved whatever issue they had.

Tizoc

Happy new year everyone! Come on SEGA, give me them SEGA classics come Jan. 8th~

Yo got that Darksiders 2 on sale and have a question.

I just started and I beat the intro level in the ice. Then I got to the next area where they are trying to explain the leveling system. Now I get the system with the points, but I'm confused about my ability I gained.
In Darksiders 2 you can learn combat skills to help in battle, these cost Wrath (MP), you recover it by damaging enemies and each skill you assign has a different cost.
You can upgrade a skill so it becomes stronger or learn another spell, but certain spells unlock once you reach a certain level.
IIRC you can't learn ALL skills in the game, but can re-assign your points to learn any skill you want. Don't worry about there being 2 types, just that they are skills to help expand the combat system, which IMO is a good step up from Darksiders 1.

Katsuragi

How is VVVVVVV? More tempted now that it's part of the Nicalis sale. Might get Ikachan too which I hear is short but very enjoyable.

VVVVVV a fantastic game and the 3DS version is definitively the best one. I replayed it a few days ago and would recommend it to anyone who loves a.) challenging games and b.) good music. Give it a try!

DDP has been extended!!

[NOTE] The Deluxe Digital Promotion will be discontinued on April 1, 2015. Please exchange your points for an activation code by March 31, 2015. Activation codes must be redeemed in the Nintendo eShop by June 30, 2015.

Katsuragi

This week's NA downloads:

EDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--This week's Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

Virtual Console on Nintendo 3DS
Bionic Commando: Elite Forces - You are the perfect combination of man and machine - a Bionic Commando equipped with a Bionic Claw that will be extremely handy when infiltrating the danger zone. Blast through enemy lines as you grapple, swing and scale more than 20 levels of forests, deserts, mountains and futuristic cities. You are the last hope in saving your homeland from utter destruction. Suit up, soldier!

Virtual Console on Wii U
Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire - Much more than a regular pinball game, Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire combines fast flipper action with a unique way to catch your favorite Pokémon. Control the flippers to shoot the Poké Ball at targets on one of two PlayFields. Play on either the Ruby or Sapphire Field to rack up as many points as possible. The game lets players catch more than 200 Pokémon and features characters from the Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire games.

Nintendo eShop Must-Haves
Start the new year off right in the Nintendo eShop, which features must-have classic and current games. Check the Nintendo eShop each week in January (from Jan. 1 at 9 a.m. PT until Jan. 29 at 8:59 a.m. PT) for Nintendo eShop Must-Haves - they're the perfect way to build a collection of great games that you can enjoy for years to come.

Nintendo eShop Sales:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS
Shovel Knight on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS is 33 percent off until 8:59 a.m. PT on Jan. 8.
Nintendo eShop on Wii U
Unepic is 30 percent off (reduced from $9.99 to $6.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Jan. 29.

Nintendo eShop Nintendo 3DS
Dress to Play: Cute Witches! is 50 percent off (reduced from $3.99 to $1.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 1
Dress to Play: Magic Bubbles! is 50 percent off (reduced from $3.99 to $1.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 1

Nintendo is having a sale!

I straight knew it would be after DDP ended. I wonder if DDP was their reasoning for less sales....hmm interesting.

Buying Shovel Knight.

TheMoon

I straight knew it would be after DDP ended. I wonder if DDP was their reasoning for less sales....hmm interesting.

Nowhere in there does it say sale. Don't you dare get angry if it isn't a sale. We know you have reading issues (DDP thread^^).

BooJoh

Slim pickings this week, just the two VC games and that's it? Is the Must-haves thing just advertising a featured selection of old games on the eShop this month?

I'll be picking up Pokemon Pinball.

Buying Shovel Knight.

Eh..? None of those four new sale titles are published by Nintendo, and dozens of games went on sale leading up to Christmas.

maxcriden

Buying Shovel Knight.

You didn't have SK already?! You're going to love it. (Happy New Year, bro!)

P.S. Nintendo not announcing what next week's VC will be means DKC is coming.

501ed74c65946.gif

Double P.S. Happy New Year, NintenGAF! I hope you all get to play lots of wonderful games this year, and that a year from now we're all like, *damn*, that was the best year for Wii U yet. Splatoon was incredibly fun. We're still addicted to Mario Maker. Yoshi was even better than Epic Yarn somehow. SNES Remix 2 took the series to newly addictive and fun heights. That Nabbit Stealth game for eShop was amazing. Kirby exceeded even high expectations. And Zelda? Best Zelda yet!

Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but the press release sounds like Nintendo is having a sale each week in January. Unless they are just advertising select games each week in January..that's most likely it =/

P.S. Nintendo not announcing what next week's VC will be means DKC is coming.

Don't belive his lies.jpg ={

Happy New Years!

maxcriden

Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but the press release sounds like Nintendo is having a sale each week in January.

Don't belive his lies.jpg ={

Happy New Years!

Thanks man! Yeah, I'm just wishfully thinking there. :)

As for the PR, I did read that similarly but it's also a bit vague so we'll have to see if it means any sales.

Robin64

Hm, don't get your hopes up that the "Must-Haves" means "Sale". I think they would have used the word sale if it was that in any way.

Refyref

Seems like it's just going to be another one of the weekly categories they have. They don't usually advertise them in the PR, but there's not much to write about this week, so maybe they used that as filler.

BooJoh

Seems like it's just going to be another one of the weekly categories they have. They don't usually advertise them in the PR, but there's not much to write about this week, so maybe they used that as filler.
That's what I'm thinking. Something specifically aimed at advertising past releases to new Wii U owners.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's a conspiracy! They KNEW people would buy Shovel Knight on sale, so they ended DDP the day before it became discounted!

ohlawd

I said in that old thread DDP ending won't affect my spending habits.

welp

here's SK on sale and I don't even wanna get it.

TheMoon

I said in that old thread DDP ending won't affect my spending habits.

welp

here's SK on sale and I don't even wanna get it.

You realize you can view this as YCG giving you a final DDP voucher to spend on SK specifically, right? And you didn't have to accumulate anything for it aside from time spent waiting for it since release.

ohlawd

You realize you can view this as YCG giving you a final DDP voucher to spend on SK specifically, right? And you didn't have to accumulate anything for it aside from time spent waiting for it since release.

that justification. are you serious with this shit? yeah I did realize that but there's a reason I didn't bring it up lol

BooJoh

Shovel Knight is great and I'd totally double dip for the big screen version but it just doesn't quite look right to me without the spectacular 3D effects it has on 3DS.

Orgen

I feel like I'm the only one who thought Shovel Knight was just "okay".

I read a GOTY thread this morning where people didn't like SK. I was pretty surprised because I thought it was beloved here...

But the most hurtful thing is seeing lots of people not wanting an F-Zero GX HD remaster in the other thread :( Damn you people!!!!

I read a GOTY thread this morning where people didn't like SK. I was pretty surprised because I thought it was beloved here...

But the most hurtful thing is seeing lots of people not wanting an F-Zero GX HD remaster in the other thread :( Damn you people!!!!
Yeah what the heck??? I couldn't believe what I was reading.

pretty solid, can be difficult a little too much nerd humor, but overall a solid fun game especially on sale

Thanks!

Chrom

Yeah, I didn't notice any new sales on the eShop in NA that went unannounced in the PR. Kind of rare, actually.

I've given up on Donkey Kong Country. At least we're getting GBA games (though quality varies) every week. Maybe they're rushing through them all so they can finally release N64 games... r-right?

BooJoh

Really does seem weird to do a weekly promotion of these games yet no discounts. Doesn't make sense really.
It makes perfect sense. There are a ton of new Wii U owners who just got the system over the holidays. This is the perfect time for Nintendo to advertise the must-have titles to them so they can build their library, and since many of these games are the very reasons those people would've wanted a Wii U it's safe to bet many of them will pay full price, so there's no reason to discount them.

It makes perfect sense. There are a ton of new Wii U owners who just got the system over the holidays. This is the perfect time for Nintendo to advertise the must-have titles to them so they can build their library, and since many of these games are the very reasons those people would've wanted a Wii U it's safe to bet many of them will pay full price, so there's no reason to discount them.

Or. They just got a Wii U and Nintendo could show them that they have sales, which makes the customer happy and encourages them to check back each week for new and exciting sales. Otherwise they log in and see games priced higher than retail, search for their favorite series such as DKC with zero results , and never return.

But hey that's the sensible and logical approach.

I've given up on Donkey Kong Country. At least we're getting GBA games (though quality varies) every week. Maybe they're rushing through them all so they can finally release N64 games... r-right?

Star%20Fox%2064%20-%20White%20Screen-550x.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Happy new year everyone! Come on SEGA, give me them SEGA classics come Jan. 8th~

In Darksiders 2 you can learn combat skills to help in battle, these cost Wrath (MP), you recover it by damaging enemies and each skill you assign has a different cost.
You can upgrade a skill so it becomes stronger or learn another spell, but certain spells unlock once you reach a certain level.
IIRC you can't learn ALL skills in the game, but can re-assign your points to learn any skill you want. Don't worry about there being 2 types, just that they are skills to help expand the combat system, which IMO is a good step up from Darksiders 1.

I get that. What I wanna know is do I have to go to the sub menu and tap the icon on the gamepad to use the abilities or can I assign them to a button?

BooJoh

New themes are up in NA as well.

Pokémon: Slowpoke (music is listed as The Slowpoke Song: "Donai Yanen Yadon" so apparently unchanged.)
Animal Crossing: New Leaf: K.K. Slider at Club LOL
Tomodachi Life: Speech Balloon (with wooden head shopkeeper for us NAers.)

tebunker

Banned
I get that. What I wanna know is do I have to go to the sub menu and tap the icon on the gamepad to use the abilities or can I assign them to a button?

They are assignable. I just don't know how to do it on WiiU as I played on PC. You most definitely put it on a button. I could have sworn it was the d-pad on my 360 controller

BooJoh

Or. They just got a Wii U and Nintendo could show them that they have sales, which makes the customer happy and encourages them to check back each week for new and exciting sales. Otherwise they log in and see games priced higher than retail, search for their favorite series such as DKC with zero results , and never return.

But hey that's the sensible and logical approach.

What exactly are you hoping to see on sale so badly that it warrants weekly complaints?

There are two pages worth of sales on Wii U alone right now (individual game quality notwithstanding.) Just because you can't get $50-$60 first party retail games you probably already own for pennies doesn't mean Nintendo doesn't do sales.

And for a new system owner, VC has a ton of great titles they can blow way more money than they want to on, even if their favorite classic game isn't on there yet because it's DKC or MZM or Mario is Missing or whatever you'll be demanding once we get DKC.

Top Bottom