• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

I personally prefer the Miiverse features, but I almost never get Streetpasses here in Vermont so that's definitely a bias for me.

No Nintendo Zone hotspots up there? I use those to get tons of tags and plenty of Streetpass downloads for my various games every week (faves are Shadow Link battles in LBW, Mystery Boxes and Rival times for 3D Land and AC Houses). Also is a huge help with completing Find Mii quests and puzzle panels. I'm making you see this because you NEED to take advantage of Nintendo Zone hotspots

tolkir

Here's a fun fact nobody is talking about for some reason:

NOE forgot to put F-Zero GP Legend on the eShop.

The Miiverse page is live.

The trailer is on the eShop.

The game page is nowhere to be found. You can't buy the game. lol

Lots of them!

Lol. True, not up yet.

F-Zero must be the next target of North Korean hackers

maxcriden

No Nintendo Zone hotspots up there? I use those to get tons of tags and plenty of Streetpass downloads for my various games every week (faves are Shadow Link battles in LBW, Mystery Boxes and Rival times for 3D Land and AC Houses). Also is a huge help with completing Find Mii quests and puzzle panels. I'm making you see this because you NEED to take advantage of Nintendo Zone hotspots

LOL thank you AU but I replied to this already! :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145621852&postcount=145
Thanks man. Yeah, we do have Zone Hotspots I think, they're just pretty inconvenient. Vermont's just kind of rural and spread out in general, even in the more urban areas. So if we're rarely going to, say, McDonald's, we're rarely going to be near a Hotspot, and if that's the case I'm likely to forget to bring a 3DS. On vacation in SoCal about a year ago it was a real delight to get StreetPasses pretty often. I saw a guy playing his new Zelda 3DS XL in an airport that trip, too. I went up to him and started an awkward conversation. I just couldn't help myself. :)

Can someone please help me out? I keep getting error 011-7403 when trying to link my brother's new 2DS to my family CN account. It's not the holiday spike anymore, wtf is going on.

I'm never going to get it connected at this point. The CN account for him is done and made, but the 2DS will not connect via eshop. Getting pretty fed up.

TheMoon

Can someone please help me out? I keep getting error 011-7403 when trying to link my brother's new 2DS to my family CN account. It's not the holiday spike anymore, wtf is going on.

I'm never going to get it connected at this point. The CN account for him is done and made, but the 2DS will not connect via eshop. Getting pretty fed up.

This is an issue for customer service.

donny2112

On vacation in SoCal about a year ago it was a real delight to get StreetPasses pretty often. I saw a guy playing his new Zelda 3DS XL in an airport that trip, too. I went up to him and started an awkward conversation. I just couldn't help myself. :)

I'm not a conversationalist, but it seems easier to try to strike up convos with other people gaming in public, since they're usually even more nervous about talking than me. :p

LOL thank you AU but I replied to this already! :)

Don't you have HomePass setup?

maxcriden

I'm not a conversationalist, but it seems easier to try to strike up convos with other people gaming in public, since they're usually even more nervous about talking than me. :p

Don't you have HomePass setup?

Haha, I figured the same; I felt like he couldn't possibly feel more weird about being approached by a scruffy stranger than I could feel weird approaching him (perpetual 5 o'clock shadow here, FBFW). So it wasn't too bad, just a bit odd. It's just cool to see gamers in public since it's a rarity these days for me.

I don't have HP setup because I think I need more router access than I currently have for that. I mean, I have access to the router but we live in off-campus family housing (my wife's a post-bacc student) with free Internet, so I don't have full access to the Internet stuff.

donny2112

Is there a campus 3DS meetup group? You can go to the meetups to get pink puzzle pieces (and other game Streetpasses) that way.

maxcriden

Is there a campus 3DS meetup group? You can go to the meetups to get pink puzzle pieces (and other game Streetpasses) that way.

I'm not sure. I don't think so. I Googled and it seems there's only stuff from 2011 or so. (Vermont is weird.) This is why I haven't used the 3DS StreetPass features too much. Regardless, that was a good idea, thank you Donny! Hopefully we'll be moving soon enough.

donny2112

Check Facebook for Streetpass Vermont meetup groups, too. That's how I found two local groups. The local ones here have really tailed off since the Wii U has started picking up and 3DS releases are slowing down, though.

Refyref

Yes, I'm friggin' terrible at Mega Man games. Good to know I'm not alone, haha. I don't understand how people are so good at them. It's mystifying to me how awful I am at them. I mean, I've only tried Mega Man and MM & Bass I think, but I was really horrendous at both. I couldn't nearly complete any individual MM levels.

Just as a note, those aren't exactly the best places to start with the Mega Man series. While I don't find them hard myself, due to being familiar with the series, they're not good at teaching you the foundations of the series. (1 due to not being as tightly made as the rest, plus a horrible difficulty spike at the last third of the game, and MM&B was kind of made as a game for veterans of the series.)
For you or everyone else, I'd recommend starting with 2, on the normal mode. (It's basically an easy mode that was added for American and European release, but it's a great place to start. It just lowers the enemies' health and changes a few patterns.)
Other good places to start would be MMX, or maybe 10.

Ok, I downloaded Klonoa for GBA a few nights
ago when I was on my last minute DDP binge and wow, this little game seriously rocks. It has a perfect mix of platforming action and puzzles. Exploiting enemies in order to collect all the little gems, badges and door keys is really fun and relaxing. I can't believe I never got the GBA cart back in 2001 when it released, guess I was too busy with SMB Advance at the time.

Yikes, how'd I miss that, like I'm going senile/blind or something. lol

Edit: Also second what Refyref said. Mega Man 1 and MMB are NOT good titles to get into the MM series. MM 1 NES can be rediculously unforgiving. Try Mega Man 2 as your next MM game. It's challenging but doesn't have MM1's frustrating, cheap jumps/hits and steep curve, has great level design, amazing music and is a good way to hone your skills before MM 3. Also MM2 has the coolest Wily bosses of all time and best ending ever. Also, METAL BLADE.

Got Shovel Knight for $10.66 + tax. I thought the Steam sale might lead to a sale on 3DS/Wii U, and it did. The Canadian price for Shovel Knight was cheaper on Wii U than Steam, which is weird, but Wii U was my choice of platform, so it was good for me :) Hopefully the game is as good as everyone says.

tolkir

Got Shovel Knight for $10.66 + tax. I thought the Steam sale might lead to a sale on 3DS/Wii U, and it did. The Canadian price for Shovel Knight was cheaper on Wii U than Steam, which is weird, but Wii U was my choice of platform, so it was good for me :) Hopefully the game is as good as everyone says.

If you like 8-bits games, you'll enjoy this game.

mLgEGp.gif

maxcriden

Check Facebook for Streetpass Vermont meetup groups, too. That's how I found two local groups. The local ones here have really tailed off since the Wii U has started picking up and 3DS releases are slowing down, though.

I checked. Nada! Thank you though. :) Hopefully in OH or wherever we move to, there will be more gamers. At the very least I suspect wherever we move to there will be more GAFers there!

Just as a note, those aren't exactly the best places to start with the Mega Man series. While I don't find them hard myself, due to being familiar with the series, they're not good at teaching you the foundations of the series. (1 due to not being as tightly made as the rest, plus a horrible difficulty spike at the last third of the game, and MM&B was kind of made as a game for veterans of the series.)
For you or everyone else, I'd recommend starting with 2, on the normal mode. (It's basically an easy mode that was added for American and European release, but it's a great place to start. It just lowers the enemies' health and changes a few patterns.)
Other good places to start would be MMX, or maybe 10.

Thanks for the advice, Refyref! I'll try to check out one of your suggested MM games sometime and I'll be sure to report back with my impressions. :)

Ok, I downloaded Klonoa for GBA a few nights
ago when I was on my last minute DDP binge and wow, this little game seriously rocks. It has a perfect mix of platforming action and puzzles. Exploiting enemies in order to collect all the little gems, badges and door keys is really fun and relaxing. I can't believe I never got the GBA cart back in 2001 when it released, guess I was too busy with SMB Advance at the time.

Yikes, how'd I miss that, like I'm going senile/blind or something. lol

Haha, no sweat. I really appreciate you making sure I saw your post!

I'm also really glad to hear Klonoa is so good. I have both GBA carts but haven't played 'em. We were obsessed with Klonoa Wii and Klonoa 2 PS2 this past Fall, though. My goodness, Klonoa 2 is incredible.

No worries, Namikaze. It's better than you've heard! ;)

I really wanna gift you MM2 Max :)

If I could figure out how to do that within Nintendo's eshop, I will.

Like what everyone else said it's a great starter game for NES Megaman.
Also, the music is really memorable!

maxcriden

I really wanna gift you MM2 Max :)

If I could figure out how to do that within Nintendo's eshop, I will.

Like what everyone else said it's a great starter game for NES Megaman.
Also, the music is really memorable!

That's very kind of you, Dok! Well, if you *really* want to, I suppose you could just give me a $5 DDP code you haven't redeemed yet and I'd pinky swear to use it for MM2. :)

ETA: wait, apparently MM2 is on the 3DS ElectricBlanketFire sent me. ;__; I'm so ridiculous. Sorry. I'll try it out there. Thank you so much for your generous offer!

That's very kind of you, Dok! Well, if you *really* want to, I suppose you could just give me a $5 DDP code you haven't redeemed yet and I'd pinky swear to use it for MM2. :)

ETA: wait, apparently MM2 is on the 3DS ElectricBlanketFire sent me. ;__; I'm so ridiculous. Sorry. I'll try it out there. Thank you so much for your generous offer!

I'll patiently await your LTTP: Megaman 2 thread ^_^

You haven't played MM2 yet?!?!?!?!?

Send it back.

I posted this in the Club Nintendo thread a few weeks ago, thought it'd be useful for folks here who are considering getting Kirby's Dreamland 3 on Wii U VC with their CN coins:

Time traveling Agent Unknown! said:
I used 200 coins and got Kirby's Dreamland 3 last night, and wow, I know some think it's a weaker entry but I love it so far. It has the animal buddy system which is right away a plus, also I didn't realize it features hand drawn "painting" style visuals. They aren't as detailed as YI's, but are still very pleasing to look at. The soundtrack is also very soothing, it has a very nice relaxed bass which kind of gives me an Earthbound vibe (maybe someone at HAL shared soundtrack credits?) So far it doesn't have that endless, overly jumpy, jittery feel of most other Kirby ST's. Anyways, chill game, perfect for a relaxing before bed session and worth the 200 coins.

maxcriden

You haven't played MM2 yet?!?!?!?!?

Send it back.

LOL! I was too busy obsessing over DK '94. and Bit.Trip Saga. (and, 3DS games!)

I posted this in the Club Nintendo thread, thought it'd be useful for folks here who are considering getting Kirby's Dreamland 3 on Wii U VC with their CN coins:

Just played this for the first time last Summer or so. We absolutely loved it. The sidequests are pretty tricky so we haven't done almost any of those yet. Keep an eye out for a surprising cameo!

During my DDP binge I also got Contra III, I forgot how insanely tough that game is, just getting through the first stage is an ordeal.

LOL! I was too busy obsessing over DK '94. and Bit.Trip Saga. (and, 3DS games!)

Just played this for the first time last Summer or so. We absolutely loved it. The sidequests are pretty tricky so we haven't done almost any of those yet. Keep an eye out for a surprising cameo!

This is my first time playing it but I assume you're referring to
the Metroids.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think Dream Land 3 just got forgotten due to Super Star being a "bigger" game with the fact it was considered multiple games in one, plus DL3 came out closer to the end of the SNES' lifespan, so people were starting to move on to the N64 & such.

Personally, I liked it. It felt the hardest out of the main Dream Land games, especially with the side-quests.

I think Dream Land 3 just got forgotten due to Super Star being a "bigger" game with the fact it was considered multiple games in one, plus DL3 came out closer to the end of the SNES' lifespan, so people were starting to move on to the N64 & such.

Personally, I liked it. It felt the hardest out of the main Dream Land games, especially with the side-quests.

There was a short but interesting thread on here about Kirby DL 3 focusing on how it was directed by Shinichi Shimomura (who also directed Kirby 64 which I rented years ago but never got back to) and after he left Nintendo, the Dreamland "style" and various elements like animal buddies and characters like Adeleine and Dark Matter never really returned after that.

Spoken like a true Nabbit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There was a short but interesting thread on here about Kirby DL 3 focusing on how it was directed by Shinichi Shimomura (who also directed Kirby 64 which I rented years ago but never got back to) and after he left Nintendo, the Dreamland "style" and various elements like animal buddies and characters like Adeleine and Dark Matter never really returned after that.
Well that would explain why we never got two of the coolest mechanics from Kirby (animal friends & ability mixing) to return. It was so fun to experiment & see what would happen.

Refyref

It's quite noticeable that there were 2 different "branches" of Kirby at that time, each having its own elements and quirks. The Kirby games today feel like some sort of merging between the two, although leaning toward the Adventure/Super Star "branch". But with Kirby's tradition of experimental games, they manage to keep having the feeling of different tones somewhat concurrently.

It's quite noticeable that there were 2 different "branches" of Kirby at that time, each having its own elements and quirks. The Kirby games today feel like some sort of merging between the two, although leaning toward the Adventure/Super Star "branch". But with Kirby's tradition of experimental games, they manage to keep having the feeling of different tones somewhat concurrently.

I wish could find that thread, not turning up so far. Anyways, yeah I agree, but I wish they'd at least bring back Rick and the crew someday.

terrisus

Well that would explain why we never got two of the coolest mechanics from Kirby (animal friends & ability mixing) to return. It was so fun to experiment & see what would happen.

Yeah, I really love what Kirby 64 did.

While I enjoy the other Kirby games as well, I really wish we had gotten more games with more of the ideas from Kirby 64.

Refyref

I actually wasn't that big a fan of Kirby 64's ability mixing. It's a neat idea, but the lack of variety of power-ups hits it really quick. The other style of games at the time was definitely better in the power up section.

This was ported in the December thread so I'll put it here:
I liked Tengami quite a bit, so I'm disappointed to hear Nyamnyam seemingly blaming everyone but themselves for how the game did on Wii U.

They launched the Wii U version about half a year after the iOS build and at something like three times the price. This is for a game pretty much anyone could beat in an hour or so. I recommend this game highly if it goes on sale and you're into something a little on the meditative side, but I'd like to see these guys say "Wow, yeah, we shouldn't have jacked up the price on Wii U after delaying it for months and months. We blame ourselves. Live and learn. Hope you enjoy the game."
I have a feeling how digital platforms are going these days it can be hard to price right at launch vs. pricing for going on the sale and the visibility this grants. It doesn't take a genius to find that some people are shopping not on price but sale yes/no and those types of people would never buy if it was a good price because it isn't on sale...

Still 4 times as expensive as your iOS cousins can be a bit rich to swallow (yes I bought the game along with Dr.Luigi to round off NNP and those two didn't personally cost me anywhere near their eShop prices, I kind of regret the latter actually...).

Europe might finally get Wario Ware Twisted :)
If they add Gyro support they better add Koro Koro Puzzle - Happy Panechu!

I expect it to happen when Kirby Tilt n' Tumble hits 3DS VC
Man I would love for Drill Dozer to come on the eshop. This is my next title I will whore out in club Nintendo surveys .
Also another one for the "Europe might finally get " list. Disgusting what happened to that game. Release date came, no game came out. Better still is that ONM actually reviewed it (showing how out of the loop they were). At least it wasn't the constant reappearing on the schedule that Wario Ware Twisted endured so I was free to get Screw Breaker at bomba prices off play-asia guilt-free.

jholmes

This was ported in the December thread so I'll put it here:

I have a feeling how digital platforms are going these days it can be hard to price right at launch vs. pricing for going on the sale and the visibility this grants. It doesn't take a genius to find that some people are shopping not on price but sale yes/no and those types of people would never buy if it was a good price because it isn't on sale...

Still 4 times as expensive as your iOS cousins can be a bit rich to swallow (yes I bought the game along with Dr.Luigi to round off NNP and those two didn't personally cost me anywhere near their eShop prices, I kind of regret the latter actually...).

Thanks. I'm an idiot. 2014 was so good for the eShop that I just didn't want it to end :(

I skipped buying it because of feedback that it was extremely short and more of a relaxing game that doesn't seem to have much replay value for the price its asking. I get that this is a risky endeavor but bad business decisions are bad business decisions. Don't blame gamers for not buying something you didn't make very enticing.

I understand games will come out on, say, Steam for $15, then get huge price cuts, and then launch at full price on a console even while they're commonly available on PC for like $3. (This is what happened with Fez on PS3 for example, and some games available in Humble Bundles have launched full price on the Wii U eShop. I don't really like this, but I understand it.) But when you release something at a fraction of the price on another platform to begin with, and then port it really really late, that's just poor business sense.

That's why I wait for sales on indie games. I see them heavily discounted on steam yet full price on Wii U. They don't get my money until discounted when they do that.

terrisus

I understand games will come out on, say, Steam for $15, then get huge price cuts, and then launch at full price on a console even while they're commonly available on PC for like $3. (This is what happened with Fez on PS3 for example, and some games available in Humble Bundles have launched full price on the Wii U eShop. I don't really like this, but I understand it.) But when you release something at a fraction of the price on another platform to begin with, and then port it really really late, that's just poor business sense.

Meh, I don't buy anything on Steam, so what something sells for on there doesn't mean anything to me.
As long as it's coming to Wii U or 3DS at a price I feel is good for there, I'm happy.

No worries, Namikaze. It's better than you've heard! ;)

I don't know about that. I have heard some really great things about it. I have beat two levels so far, and I didn't really like the one (Specter Knight? the one where it switches between light and dark). But, the music is pretty good, and the detail is amazing.

That's why I wait for sales on indie games. I see them heavily discounted on steam yet full price on Wii U. They don't get my money until discounted when they do that.

Same. I mean, if they can afford to do a sale on one platform, they can do it on another. I remember Cloudberry Kingdom going on sale for Wii U, and a week later it was on sale for PS3, at a much cheaper price. How is that fair to certain user-bases?

If you like 8-bits games, you'll enjoy this game.

I am liking it so far, despite not playing many 8-bit games.

jholmes

Same. I mean, if they can afford to do a sale on one platform, they can do it on another. I remember Cloudberry Kingdom going on sale for Wii U, and a week later it was on sale for PS3, at a much cheaper price. How is that fair to certain user-bases?

What's worse is it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you make Cloudberry Kingdom more expensive on Wii U, how can you blame the consumer that it sells worse there than somewhere else? I can't blame someone for getting it on PS3 for less when it's the same game at a cheaper price. That's just savvy.

GulAtiCa

Ubisoft Ubisofted describes that perfectly.

What's worse is it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you make Cloudberry Kingdom more expensive on Wii U, how can you blame the consumer that it sells worse there than somewhere else? I can't blame someone for getting it on PS3 for less when it's the same game at a cheaper price. That's just savvy.

If they had the price they set for PS3 on the Wii U, I would've bought it. Instead, I didn't get either version because I don't really play my PS3 much, anymore. Treating different platforms differently causes lost sales, and that includes ports from iOS to game consoles. I understand a game being cheaper on iOS, but don't make it 4x the price on consoles, ported late, and not enough content added to excuse them from the price-hike and late porting.

Ubisoft Ubisofted describes that perfectly.

I realize one good explanation is because Ubisoft. But, that was just an example I remember clearly. Some indies complain that their game sells poorly on Nintendo consoles, when it has already been on PC for a long time, cheaper, in bundles, on PS+, ported last, etc.

One more thing that some indie developers do is regional pricing. If you set your price to 1 USD = 1 Euro, then it is your fault that you get bad sales/reception. Sure, the costs of developing may not be the same, but that doesn't mean you can rip-off a whole region. With Canada, ever since the dollar became weaker, indies have been raising the prices on their games, usually around 10%. Indies rely on word-of-mouth most of the time, for advertising, and if I see one title not raise their price for the Canadian eShop (ZaciSa's Last Stand :D), it provides reason for me to buy that, over a title that did raise its price.

The internet exists, and anyone can see the practices a developer uses in certain countries. Don't piss of the people the people that pay your salary.

/rant

maxcriden

Spoken like a true Nabbit.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/who-is-nabbit.453099525/#post-475438591

Anyway. :) I loved DL 3 and I think it's vastly superior to Super Star, as someone who played both for the first time last year. I love the animal buddies. They're just so silly and delightful and fit perfectly into Kirby's world. I missed them in Kirby 64 but there you had nifty team-ups with Dedede and the like, plus the power combos which I really enjoyed. So, I'd love to see a return to this format.

I don't know about that. I have heard some really great things about it. I have beat two levels so far, and I didn't really like the one (Specter Knight? the one where it switches between light and dark). But, the music is pretty good, and the detail is amazing.

Glad you're enjoying it so far. I think it gets a lot better as it goes on. The Specter Knight one was fun but for me a bit exhausting with the light and dark. Anyway, there are some really rad levels later on.

Anyway. :) I loved DL 3 and I think it's vastly superior to Super Star, as someone who played both for the first time last year. I love the animal buddies. They're just so silly and delightful and fit perfectly into Kirby's world. I missed them in Kirby 64 but there you had nifty team-ups with Dedede and the like, plus the power combos which I really enjoyed. So, I'd love to see a return to this format.

I just borrowed a Super Gameboy cart from my brother in law, I should hunt down a copy of Dreamland 2, it's been many years since I played it.

Also, I love how soothing the music and visuals are in DL3. The graphics have soft pastel tones that aren't overly bright and the music has a relaxed tone. Like I said, it's also the perfect bedtime platformer.

donny2112

Meh, I don't buy anything on Steam, so what something sells for on there doesn't mean anything to me.
As long as it's coming to Wii U or 3DS at a price I feel is good for there, I'm happy.

I heavily frequent Steam. Love the Sales. Off-TV is worth a premium price, though. :p

BooJoh

I don't remind a game with Anime/Manga IP on Virtual Console and I don't think that it's going to change. :(

I loved the Hamtaro games I played (the NA releases) and it's a shame that Rainbow Rescue won't likely see an NA release even on VC.

Top Bottom