• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

terrisus

What exactly are you hoping to see on sale so badly that it warrants weekly complaints?

He has multiple threads complaining about stuff, and yet continues to fill this thread up with the same sort of nonsense.
I know I've moved on a couple of weeks ago. It's just simply not worth it to even bother to address at this point.

What exactly are you hoping to see on sale so badly that it warrants weekly complaints?

There are two pages worth of sales on Wii U alone right now (individual game quality notwithstanding.) Just because you can't get $50-$60 first party retail games you probably already own for pennies doesn't mean Nintendo doesn't do sales.

And for a new system owner, VC has a ton of great titles they can blow way more money than they want to on, even if their favorite classic game isn't on there yet because it's DKC or MZM or Mario is Missing or whatever you'll be demanding once we get DKC.

The point is, when a store holds a promotion, there are discounts on said items. Nintendo holds a promotion and discounts nothing. Your defense was to entice people with new Wii U to go to the eshop to see all these games.

They could do that already. Why would anyone continually check back each week in January for said promotion when it's not even a true promotion and these games are already there with nothing changing from week to week of said promotion.

To better phrase. Nintendo's idea of a promotion to entice people to the eshop is MSRP, which is just nuts.

TheMoon

They could do that already. Why would anyone continually check back each week in January for said promotion when it's not even a true promotion.

A promotion is a promotion without being a sale. They are promoting the "best of the eShop" which means they're highlighting quality titles, exposing them to new customers while giving them their Nintendo eShop editorial stamp of approval. Temporary discounts have nothing to do with this. Sure they'd be nice but in no way shape of form do they have to be there for it to be an effective promotion.

Please pace yourself with the rerun complaints. Please. Can we agree on an internal rule that you get to complain about the same thing only once per month? Because I already see you doing it again next week when the new batch also doesn't come with special sales (while rattling off DKC; MZM, SMRPG, etc). Deal?

View it as some sort of New Year's Resolution. You know we all agree on some level that we want all the same games as quickly as possible and sales all the time sure would be nice. But we only need check into the echo chamber every now and then, not every seven days. :)

terrisus

Please pace yourself with the rerun complaints. Please. Can we agree on an internal rule that you get to complain about the same thing only once per month?

They already said 5 months ago that they were going to "try to stop complaining":

No. Only one wii u VC title. Your constant defense of NOA Is getting very old. Just admit that it could and should be better.

I'm not "constantly defending NOA," I'm addressing your constant criticisms of NOA - which you've done far, far more often in this thread.

Where's brain age?
Where's super Mario kart?
Where's super Mario rpg?
Where's secret of mana?
Where's donkey kong land?
Where's Metroid zero mission?

What are you doing NOA!?

NOA won't do this.

No discount? Now that I think about it, has NOA ever done a cross buy discount? Always seems it's in Europe and Japan

NOA is the only region so far where they have yet to do a single cross buy discount at all. None.

We have been down this road before when we thought they were going to totally revamp their awards when they shut down for a week.

They most likely forgot or just don't have time. They literally don't care at NOA at all.

My guess is 30% off selected VC games. Yes they said it LIVE..the asian lady announced it

Of course not. NOA has NEVER given us a discount on any cross buy or promotion. Meanwhile EU and Japan constantly gets cross buy promotions, buy Pikmin; get discount on Wonderful 101 or whatever it was, etc. Zero zip nadda.

It's a shame that it's only in Europe yet but hopefully this cross buy operation will be appreciated and the technical contraints that prevented it to happen in the US will be fixed."

Wonder if this lines up with what I said earlier about NOA never doing a cross buy promotion. Before anyone mentions fire emblem and SMT, that was from club nintendo and not NNID.

Yeah...NOA won't do this. NOA released Bases Loaded and not super mario kart.

Fuck NOA.

For all regions except North America, because yanno NOA.

NOA is absolutely fucking useless.

Golden sun the lost age
All Castlevania
Metroid zero mission
Donkey kong country ports

Doesn't matter. NOA won't release them.

Well. Today's the day to be disappointed by only one VC release and same atlus sales.

I'm out. What a waste.

I think next week is more mega man, but NOA gonna NOA.

Another Monday is about to come where I'm envious of the sales and the games that NOE releases that NOA doesn't...wonder what surprises they'll have this week.

So it looks like Thursdays Wii U VC title is mega man network GBA. Which means no other title since NOA thinks one VC at a time is sufficient.

One would think with their current financial situation they would release more than one game at a time. What a waste.

It's really, really annoying.

Well I've made my point and you have too. I'll try to stop complaining.

And again, they have a couple of threads specifically for the purpose of complaining as well.

It's not happening.

maxcriden

I bought my first theme.
Super Mario: Blue

Meh...
I think I'll just keep it on "No Theme"

This is the only theme we've bought and we love it:

CI7_Nintendo3DS_Theme_AMerryMarioHoliday_CMM_big.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4dlsx-NI0LA

A promotion is a promotion without being a sale. They are promoting the "best of the eShop" which means they're highlighting quality titles, exposing them to new customers while giving them their Nintendo eShop editorial stamp of approval. Temporary discounts have nothing to do with this. Sure they'd be nice but in no way shape of form do they have to be there for it to be an effective promotion.

Please pace yourself with the rerun complaints. Please. Can we agree on an internal rule that you get to complain about the same thing only once per month? Because I already see you doing it again next week when the new batch also doesn't come with special sales (while rattling off DKC; MZM, SMRPG, etc). Deal?

View it as some sort of New Year's Resolution. You know we all agree on some level that we want all the same games as quickly as possible and sales all the time sure would be nice. But we only need check into the echo chamber every now and then, not every seven days. :)

Every week that goes by without DKC or Zero Mission deserves to be critized. They released one VC game today when we all know there are a ton more that could have been released as well. You want myself and others to stop complaining? Write in to NOA to fix their release schedule and eshop pricing.

As for the weekly promotion in January, I've said what's needed to be said about it and since we all know that promotion = MSRP, then there isn't anything to say on this topic the rest of the month.

It's not happening.

NOA has had plenty of time to fix all of this. All my points still stand.

GulAtiCa

Don't you already have like 5 threads for complaining to NOA? Please use that.. Bitching every week here isn't helpful, it doesn't do anything, it just annoys everyone. It just becomes a broken record.

Don't you already have like 5 threads for complaining to NOA? Please use that.. Bitching every week here isn't helpful, it doesn't do anything, it just annoys everyone. It just becomes a broken record.

We were discussing the "promotion" that was mentioned in this very thread from the press release.

TheMoon

NOA has had plenty of time to fix all of this. All my points still stand.

Then let them STAND! You don't have to reiterate them. We are all aware of them. All of us. Repeating it does nothing other than annoy the rest of us, like Gulatica said. Because nobody even disagrees with most your basic complaints. We don't work for Nintendo, complaining to us has no benefit. You just get on our nerves and drive people away from this thread who would prefer to discuss what is there instead of what isn't.

I'm done with this now, don't want to derail this anymore.

BooJoh

The point is, when a store holds a promotion, there are discounts on said items. Nintendo holds a promotion and discounts nothing. Your defense was to entice people with new Wii U to go to the eshop to see all these games.

They could do that already. Why would anyone continually check back each week in January for said promotion when it's not even a true promotion.

Your defense was severely flawed.

Look up "promotion" in the dictionary. It can include but most certainly does not require discounted prices.

My "defense" wasn't flawed at all.

Promotions exist to increase product awareness, which is exactly what this promotion does. People visit the eShop, isntead of manually browsing all titles they can click ones of several categories to see what's most popular among the people who've been playing the system for the last two years.

Why do you think Nintendo had the "Club Nintendo Fan Faves" promo? That wasn't to discount winners or pass out awards or anything, it was to garner interest in said titles to get more sales. This is no different. The only reason it even made it into the PR is for more media coverage and/or because there were only two new releases this week.

I'm seriously not invested in this argument enough to carry on. What I am invested in is these Nintendo Download threads though, and I'd love to be able to visit them without every page having nearly identical posts from you about how much NOA sucks. I'd rather not have to block your posts because when you're not complaining you can have perfectly civil conversations and you're clearly a fan of the games, and I'd rather not see half-conversations anyway.

donny2112

This is the only theme we've bought and we love it:

I've bought all the holiday ones (usually staying with the AC version) and one of the regular Animal Crossing ones. Love seeing Isabelle greeting me when opening the 3DS. (Now just need to find time to get back to greeting her in the actual Animal Crossing. :( )

ngower

So, Shovel Knight: how challenging is it? I've been playing games all my life but I'm not a hardcore gamer in the sense that I like those ultra-challenging games that lead to frustration more than fun. I can get Shovel Knight for 4.99 after the remnants of my DDP promo and am almost considering giving into the hype at that price, but I'm trying to gauge how tough this game is and if I'd put it down after 30 minutes?

BooJoh

I've bought all the holiday ones (usually staying with the AC version) and one of the regular Animal Crossing ones. Love seeing Isabelle greeting me when opening the 3DS. (Now just need to find time to get back to greeting her in the actual Animal Crossing. :( )

I've currently got mine shuffling:
Mario Christmas
ACNL Christmas
ACNL New Year
ACNL Bulletin Board (my favorite)
Super Mario Blue
Tomodachi Life (not the best wallpapers but the music is nice and the icon borders work well with my smaller icons)

I own a few more than that as well.

Chrom

I've only bought the NES Mario theme for my 3DS so far. Mainly did so to get a feel for what the whole experience of getting a new theme was like. I really dig it.

tolkir

Week finished

7f5TM.png

Wii U | Virtual Console

Wii U | Sales

• Shovel Knight (Yacht Club Games | $9.99 until 01/08, then $14.99)
  • Unepic (EnjoyUp Games | $6.99 until 01/29, then $9.99)

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Shovel Knight (Yacht Club Games | $9.99 until 01/08, then $14.99)
  • Dress to Play: Cute Witches! (EnjoyUp Games | $1.99 until 02/01, then $3.99)
  • Dress to Play: Magic Bubbles! (EnjoyUp Games | $1.99 until 02/01, then $3.99)

vYU92.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Wii U | Virtual Console

Wii U | Sales

• New Super Mario Bros. U & New Super Luigi U (Nintendo) €59.99/£49.99 (Ends January 8, combined price normally €79.98/£67.98)
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (CAPCOM) - €29.99/£24.99 (Ends January 8, regular price €59.99/£49.99)
  • Shovel Knight (Yacht Club Games) - €9.99/£8.66 (Ends January 8, regular price €14.99/£12.99)

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (CAPCOM) - €22.49/£19.99 (Ends January 8, regular price €44.99/£39.99)
  • Shovel Knight (Yacht Club Games) - €9.99/£8.66 (Ends January 8, regular price €14.99/£12.99)

uxwGK.png

Nothing.

flowsnake

So, Shovel Knight: how challenging is it? I've been playing games all my life but I'm not a hardcore gamer in the sense that I like those ultra-challenging games that lead to frustration more than fun. I can get Shovel Knight for 4.99 after the remnants of my DDP promo and am almost considering giving into the hype at that price, but I'm trying to gauge how tough this game is and if I'd put it down after 30 minutes?

It's definitely not challenging to the degree of a typical NES game. I think it's fairly hard but managable. What platformers would you consider the right difficulty, if any come to mind?

Have you played the older mega man games on the NES?
If you have and managed to beat a couple, you can breeze through shovel knight fairly quickly.

We were discussing the "promotion" that was mentioned in this very thread from the press release.
Top Hat, never stop complaining it's your role as a consumer XD

However,

The space in a digital store is valuable, specially at the top and front. "Promotion" not only contemplates "discounts" it also means exposure. Having your game in the main page of the digital store with a neon sign pointing to it is super desireable for any developer. Having said game highlighted among hundreds is some of the best advertising you can get.

ngower

It's definitely not challenging to the degree of a typical NES game. I think it's fairly hard but managable. What platformers would you consider the right difficulty, if any come to mind?

If you have and managed to beat a couple, you can breeze through shovel knight fairly quickly.

Honestly, the only recent platformer that comes to mind that I enjoyed was Gunman Clive. New Super Mario Bros U/Luigi U didn't really do anything for me, I haven't played DKC:TF, if it counts I thought Steamworld Dig had its moments. Couldn't get into Spelunkey.

And I've never played a Mega Man game. Or a Castlevania game. And those both seem the closest to this title. (I did start Super Metroid but it's been in my backlog along with about ten billion other classics).

TheMoon

Honestly, the only recent platformer that comes to mind that I enjoyed was Gunman Clive. New Super Mario Bros U/Luigi U didn't really do anything for me, I haven't played DKC:TF, if it counts I thought Steamworld Dig had its moments. Couldn't get into Spelunkey.

And I've never played a Mega Man game. Or a Castlevania game. And those both seem the closest to this title. (I did start Super Metroid but it's been in my backlog along with about ten billion other classics).

Then you just hate platformers (and have no soul :p). Seems like all the usual treatments have failed. This is terminal then. Condolences.

It's a platformer at its core with a limited range weapon and a couple of pretty cool items that extend your range of attacks.

But, if you're not comfortable/familiar with platformers, I would say the charm of the game will be lost on you and you'll get frustrated. If you're the gamer that drops a game when it gets frustrating, hold off on buying it.

My suggestion would be to try Castlevania 1 or mega man 1-2 and navigate through one or the either. If you can do so without Many problems, you'll like shovel knight.

ngower

Then you just hate platformers (and have no soul :p). Seems like all the usual treatments have failed. This is terminal then. Condolences.

I wanna give Rayman Legends a whirl. If my homeboy Rayman can't do it for me, then you might be right: I might hate platformers.

donny2112

It's no where near as hard as Mega Man, for reference. Just don't forget to buy power ups for health and magic. The level of frustrating deaths/memorization it takes to complete Mega Man is way more than Shovel Knight takes.

Edit:
Oh, and get back to Super Metroid ASAP. :O

maxcriden

I mean, it's a little hard, but not terribly difficult. The endgame is a bit tougher but totally doable. For reference, I find Mega Man (at least the couple I've tried) ridiculously impossible, and SMB games very doable, with DKCR/TF inbetween. For $4.99 it's an obscenely good deal.

I wanna give Rayman Legends a whirl. If my homeboy Rayman can't do it for me, then you might be right: I might hate platformers.

If that's the case, please try Origins first if you haven't. It's much better than Legends.

donny2112

For reference, I find Mega Man (at least the couple I've tried) ridiculously impossible,

Yes, exactly. Completing the individual levels with passwords is okay, but the end game Dr. Wily battles + repeating all the bosses kills all your reserves and just leaves you completely frustrated. Save state spamming through VC make them doable, though.

I wonder if they'll start running out of GBA games soon.

There are a lot of GBA games. Still waiting for Golden Sun: The Lost Age, for one.

Yes, exactly. Completing the individual levels with passwords is okay, but the end game Dr. Wily battles + repeating all the bosses kills all your reserves and just leaves you completely frustrated. Save state spamming through VC make them doable, though.

There are a lot of GBA games. Still waiting for Golden Sun: The Lost Age, for one.

From memory, the DKC GBA games, Golden Sun, F-zero Gp Legend, Fire Emblem, Zero Mission, Link to the Past, Mario Ports...there's probably a good 20+ from Nintendo alone

maxcriden

Yes, I'm friggin' terrible at Mega Man games. Good to know I'm not alone, haha. I don't understand how people are so good at them. It's mystifying to me how awful I am at them. I mean, I've only tried Mega Man and MM & Bass I think, but I was really horrendous at both. I couldn't nearly complete any individual MM levels.

--

For reference's sake, here are all Nintendo-published games for GBA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_products_published_by_Nintendo#Game_Boy_Advance

Here's hoping we get those Hamtaro games soon.

tumblr_mnk7isuQUI1rwai13o1_500.gif

Thanks to all who gave me recommendations on VVVVVV. I'm going on a road trip this weekend and that should be a perfect title to bring with for down time.

Question: For Shovel Knight, which is better? It's Miiverse features or Streetpass content? Mulling that one too. I know it's crazy I don't own it yet but so many good games this year to keep up with.

maxcriden

Thanks to all who gave me recommendations on VVVVVV. I'm going on a road trip this weekend and that should be a perfect title to bring with for down time.

Question: For Shovel Knight, which is better? It's Miiverse features or Streetpass content? Mulling that one too.

I personally prefer the Miiverse features, but I almost never get Streetpasses here in Vermont so that's definitely a bias for me.

P.S. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on VVVVVV. I tried it earlier in the year and couldn't get into it at all, but I'll probably give it another shot at some point.

I don't remind a game with Anime/Manga IP on Virtual Console and I don't think that it's going to change. :(

I'm sure you're right, but there's no harm in dreaming, right? ;)

ETA: wait, aren't Kirby games on VC? ;)

TheMoon

Here's a fun fact nobody is talking about for some reason:

NOE forgot to put F-Zero GP Legend on the eShop.

The Miiverse page is live.

The trailer is on the eShop.

The game page is nowhere to be found. You can't buy the game. lol

ETA: wait, aren't Kirby games on VC? ;)

Lots of them!

maxcriden

Lots of them!

Oh, I was just joshin', because of Kirby having an anime. :)

giphy.gif

No Nintendo Zone hotspots up there? I use those to get tons of tags and plenty of Streetpass downloads for my various games every week (faves are Shadow Link battles in LBW, Mystery Boxes in 3D Land and AC Houses). Also is a huge help with completing Find Mii quests and puzzle panels.

Will do.

Thanks man. Yeah, we do have Zone Hotspots I think, they're just pretty inconvenient. Vermont's just kind of rural and spread out in general, even in the more urban areas. So if we're rarely going to, say, McDonald's, we're rarely going to be near a Hotspot, and if that's the case I'm likely to forget to bring a 3DS. On vacation in SoCal about a year ago it was a real delight to get StreetPasses pretty often. I saw a guy playing his new Zelda 3DS XL in an airport that trip, too. I went up to him and started an awkward conversation. I just couldn't help myself. :)

Chrom

NOE forgot to put F-Zero GP Legend on the eShop.

The Miiverse page is live.

The trailer is on the eShop.

The game page is nowhere to be found. You can't buy the game. lol

Wow, I've never seen this before. That's pretty funny.

Top Bottom