• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2015

It's much closer to a sidescroller RPG like Xanadu, Ys 3, Popful Mail, even Super Paper Mario. Zelda 2 and the Wonder Boy / Monster World series are it's two most obvious inspirations. These kind of games used to be much more common in the late 80s.

maxcriden

It's much closer to a sidescroller RPG like Xanadu, Ys 3, Popful Mail, even Super Paper Mario. Zelda 2 and the Wonder Boy / Monster World series are it's two most obvious inspirations. These kind of games used to be much more common in the late 80s.

Right. Exactly! I like to call this genre 2D action adventure.

Edit: can't copy and paste properly on mobile, but Moon, you haven't played it? Get on that man. It's so damn good. Also, maybe you were thinking of Pip? That one is level by level with a non-traversable level map and an opening town you can revisit. EQ has a significantly explorable overworld, though. Man, it's so good.

Yes, right! We are in agreement, not a metroidvania.
tumblr_nr0z2xzXWt1r4rq6lo1_250.gif

I just wanted an excuse to post that gif...

TheMoon

Edit: can't copy and paste properly on mobile, but Moon, you haven't played it? Get on that man. It's so damn good. Also, maybe you were thinking of Pip? That one is level by level with a non-traversable level map and an opening town you can revisit. EQ has a significantly explorable overworld, though. Man, it's so good.

Those two might have been muddled together.

Haven't bought it yet, too many amiibo to buy :) (all dem Yoshis^^)

maxcriden

Yes, right! We are in agreement, not a metroidvania.
tumblr_nr0z2xzXWt1r4rq6lo1_250.gif

I just wanted an excuse to post that gif...

Haha. Then you'll forgive me feigning disagreement in an excuse to post one of my own favorite gifs!

tumblr_lp0a6bfbVp1qlbz0ho1_250.gif

Those two might have been muddled together.

Haven't bought it yet, too many amiibo to buy :) (all dem Yoshis^^)

I can't argue with Yoshis. Especially since you get to play YWW. ;___:

(But you reallly need to check out EQ!)

maxcriden

I really don't care for the aesthetic of Limbo. I got a copy for free for Steam thanks to a generous GAFer. Reminded me of a much drabber version of The Cave for some reason. (And I really liked The Cave quite a bit.) I think I only played it for a few minutes and could tell it wasn't for me.

TheMoon

The enhanced version for Shütshimi is coming out before the end of the summer, according to fellow GAFfer OnPoint. Will be on WiiU, Vita, PS4 and PC.

http://totallychoice.com/games/shutshimi

I made the OT for the original XBLIG/PC release but yeah, this is going to be a much more full-fledged release. Think Shmup x WarioWare!

That was known for a while. Choice Provisions (formerly Gaijin Games, the Bit.Trip guys) are now into publishing and this is one of their projects.

daydream

Banned
That was known for a while. Choice Provisions (formerly Gaijin Games, the Bit.Trip guys) are now into publishing and this is one of their projects.

The new release didn't even get a single news thread in Gaming (as far as I can tell) so I don't feel bad giving it some more exposure.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Don't know if already discussed here, but one of the Shareholder Meeting's questions was about, you guessed it, Virtual Console (partially)

I am happy to hear that “Splatoon” for Wii U, a new software title that is not part of a series, was so well-received that it reached 1 million units in sales. I would like to ask how big the Virtual Console business sales are. Also, I would like to request that you make all titles available for purchase at any time. Sometimes there are titles which go out of service, and I would like to know if a system in which all titles are available for purchase at any time can continue or not.

As some of you may have seen the TV commercials we have been airing recently, “Splatoon” is a brand-new title and not a title from an established series. It has a very unique and fantasy-like setting. This game, inspired by squid squirting out ink, is played by human-shaped characters with squid-like features shooting, instead of squirting, ink at each other, and the team that paints the widest area in its team color wins. Having received high recognition from our consumers for its novelty, this title’s sell-through sales reached 1 million units in less than a month from its release. We feel very grateful for this, since our view was not so optimistic prior to release, for it being a non-series title.

Regarding your question on the scale of Virtual Console title sales, the download sales as a whole for this (75th) fiscal year are 31.3 billion yen, and I have shared publicly that this is a 30 percent increase from the last fiscal year, but we have not disclosed the individual sales of Virtual Console titles only.

Virtual Console itself is a service that began when we developed Wii so that consumers can play past titles on new platforms, and we continue to distribute various titles now. However, back when we started this service, there were some points that we could not sufficiently foresee about how big this business would grow to be and how the business would expand. For example, Virtual Console titles are generally developed based on the original game software, but this does not mean that we can develop numerous Virtual Console titles simply if we have the original game software. Development of Virtual Console titles require detailed manual work, such as testing if the software runs smoothly on each platform, or making sure the content is appropriate under the various standards currently in place. Thus, we occasionally receive opinions that our pace of releasing new Virtual Console titles is slow, but if we use much of our human resources on such detailed manual work, we would not be able to develop new titles, so we are currently researching how we can efficiently develop Virtual Console titles with limited human resources. One of the big issues for our system development is how to resolve the situation in which we can only release a few Virtual Console titles at a time when we release new platforms.

In addition, regarding the possibility of making all titles available on Virtual Console, I can say that it is possible for Nintendo titles with a few exceptions, since we generally have the intellectual property rights for such titles. However, as to third-party software publishers’ titles, if they are producing the software based on a license from another copyright holder, for example, we may not be able to easily use the same title for the system that exists now because we do not have a license from the copyright holder at the time. This often becomes a problem with reruns of TV shows or Internet broadcasting. Therefore, since we can only release Virtual Console titles of third-party software publishers if they come to an agreement with the copyrights holders upon negotiating terms and conditions that were not included in their original contract, please understand that there are some titles that we cannot easily release despite many requests. We will make our best efforts to satisfy our consumers with our Virtual Console title lineup.

foltzie1

Don't know if already discussed here, but one of the Shareholder Meeting's questions was about, you guessed it, Virtual Console (partially)

Virtual Console itself is a service that began when we developed Wii so that consumers can play past titles on new platforms, and we continue to distribute various titles now. However, back when we started this service, there were some points that we could not sufficiently foresee about how big this business would grow to be and how the business would expand.

Why were the original arrangements not forward looking?

The Wii U VC represents a substantial regression in terms of content.

JoeM86

Why were the original arrangements not forward looking?

The Wii U VC represents a substantial regression in terms of content.

Unfortunately that's more due to third parties not wanting to support the Wii U rather than Nintendo not doing stuff.

GulAtiCa

My demo is now removed from the eShop (working on a new one), so if you did happen to dl it, essentially you own a rare Wii U now. It's like Wii U's own version of PT! :p

Ok, not really. :lol

Glass Joe

My demo is now removed from the eShop (working on a new one), so if you did happen to dl it, essentially you own a rare Wii U now. It's like Wii U's own version of PT! :p

Ok, not really. :lol

Was something wrong with the old one? I'm just curious why you removed it instead of replacing it when the new one becomes ready. I occasionally look at your game's listing and it appears to be doing well. Are you overall satisfied with its performance? Also, did the demo appear to help/hurt/do nothing whatsoever?

also

Banned
Unfortunately that's more due to third parties not wanting to support the Wii U rather than Nintendo not doing stuff.
Don't blame 3rd parties when Nintendo is unwilling to allocate enough resources.

Capcom on the Western release of Mega Man GB(C) tittles
''These are just a handful of titles in Nintendo's busy Virtual Console schedule. There are new titles releasing each week so that means a bit of a bottleneck. We basically announced these games as soon as it was possible to do so, which means anything already in the pipeline is ahead of all six Mega Man Game Boy titles.''
Announced October 2013, released May 2014, so it took 8 months for all the 6 tittles to be released (the first one was already out at that point). Granted, they might have delayed the tittles a bit so that they could run MegaMay.

''At this point, it's unlikely we'll see any other Natsume SNES games coming to the Virtual Console, as Nintendo's interest has moved onto other classic systems.''
April, 2015.

In the quote above Iwata even clearly states that they have problems meeting demand as VC games take a lot of time.

foltzie1

Don't blame 3rd parties when Nintendo is unwilling to allocate enough resources.

''These are just a handful of titles in Nintendo's busy Virtual Console schedule. There are new titles releasing each week so that means a bit of a bottleneck. We basically announced these games as soon as it was possible to do so, which means anything already in the pipeline is ahead of all six Mega Man Game Boy titles.''
Announced October 2013, released May 2014, so it took 8 months for all the 6 tittles to be released (the first one was already out at that point). Granted, they might have delayed the tittles a bit so that they could run MegaMay.

''At this point, it's unlikely we'll see any other Natsume SNES games coming to the Virtual Console, as Nintendo's interest has moved onto other classic systems.''
April, 2015.

In the quote above Iwata even clearly states that they have problems meeting demand as VC games take a lot of time.

Dear Nintendo, is the thorough testing you do necessary? I'm not suggesting throwing out half baked products, but Microsoft just announced a beta for its BC catalog. Do you know how many of us would gladly beta test VC games?

Sure keep the Nintendo ones back for big reveals (ala Earthbound Beginnings), but let me try out Rondo of Blood.

You are already working with Sega on titles, make the VC a side portion of one of those deals.

I have no idea what to say about SNK Playmore, but I really liked the Neo-Geo titles on Wii VC.

GulAtiCa

Was something wrong with the old one? I'm just curious why you removed it instead of replacing it when the new one becomes ready. I occasionally look at your game's listing and it appears to be doing well. Are you overall satisfied with its performance? Also, did the demo appear to help/hurt/do nothing whatsoever?

Well, about a month ago I released a giant new patch that added a lot of new content to ZaciSa's Last Stand, as well as fixed and improved the game in so many ways. So now the, now removed, demo is based upon the older version from last year. The pre-patch version of the game is not a good representation of the game, to put it lightly.. With the new content now available, demo doesn't represent the game well anymore. So I am making a brand new demo, one that better represents the game, a version that is generally considered good by people now, etc.

Hard to tell if the demo helped at all. A LOT of people downloaded the demo. Like, I'm talking min 5 digits. It certainly help get it more noticed on eShop. I think launching the demo back in early December was a mistake, cause even though a LOT downloaded it, don't think many played it. I learned that releasing Nov or later as an indie is a big no-no. Even as a demo, prob a bad idea. Since people downloaded it since free and all, but with all the big games releasing, got over looked. Some people did say they bought the game cause of the demo, so that helps. But I think overall, it didn't really do much. But for past month, more likely hurt the game as no longer represents it.

I think releasing the new demo by August (EU too, but that will be after launch) might help. Will be curious to see how many download it.

Yes, I am very happy with sales! :)
I posted this on the other page, may have gotten overlooked since at end. But shows nice chart of sales info.

My game is now 1 year old today! Wow what a year. Thought some might find this data interesting. So I put every week in a chart. Sorry, no actual download numbers. :p
zacisa1styear1.jpg

Can read some of my analysis here.

GulAtiCa

Nope. Until the recent patch, Miiverse never was that active to begin with. It's crazy to think how active Miiverse is thanks to adding Miiverse functionality into the game (a simple Post to Miiverse button on the Game over score screen).

It did break into the top 20 though! Non-VC version, at the end of the first $0.69 sale. That was cool.

sörine

Banned

April, 2015.

That's only for 3rd parties on Nintendo's platforms. The biggest issue with VC is that 3rd party platform holders/licensers no longer seem interested. Sega, Hudson, D4, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Konami, Tecmo, Taito and Hamster all produved their own console/arcade games for Wii VC. On Wii U that list has atrophied to just Konami, and only in Japan for some reason.

terrisus

Just a reminder - among other ones, Mario Tennis has the following tournaments:

Blockbuster Cup
Game Informer Fruit Cup: Baby Mario vs. Bowser
Game Informer Fruit Cup: Mario vs. Boo
IGN64 Tennis Cup
Mariotennis.com Cup
Nintendo Power Cup
Nintendo Power WimbleDonkey Kong Cup

RIP Nintendo Power =(

Dinskugga

Have Nintendo killed the VC on 3ds?

it feels like its been forever since they put up a game there now.

Or maybe i should say. Decent game.

maxcriden

Anyone have any recommendations of mobile games that are Nintendo esque? I have an Android phone and am looking for something to play on the train. Thanks all!

Pokemaniac

Probably. I'm pretty sure there hasn't even been anything in Japan for a while. Game Boy VC is probably done on 3DS, and will likely reappear on either Wii U or NX.

Yeah, pretty much. And this time it's not just an NoA thing, NoJ killed 3DS VC a year or more before we fizzled out.

Thankfully they squeezed out Game & Watch Gallery 3 before giving up on it.

maxcriden

Epic indie sale confirmed for NA, not sure if this was already posted

epic-indie-sale-656x369.jpg

Credit goes to Nintendo Everything, where I saw this. Might pick up Giana Sisters and the Trine games.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wish Shantae was the 3DS version. I have Mighty Switch Force HD, so it'd be $8. A shame that MSF2 didn't get anything special for its Wii U version. $2.39 is a great price.

From what I've heard, it's MUUCCHHH better than the original GBC game? I tried to get into it, but I didn't get far because I had no damn idea where to go.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pirate Curse is the only really great Shantae game. Shantae is cool as fuck for being a GBC game, and Risky's Revenge promised a lot and looked good but underdelivered to the extreme.

If Shovel Knight hadn't come out Shantae would be far and away the best indie platformer last year.

Top Bottom