• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2014

Pac Man Collection GBA and Pac Land NES are on the NA eShop, nice surprise. And they're on sale too! $4.89 for Collection and $3.49 for Pac-Land.

How are they? Thinking of picking them up because of Smash Bros hype :)

All of the GBA Namco/Pac-Man collections have reasonably good renditions of the Pac-Man games given their available GBA resolution. Feels more like the arcade versions than stuff like the NES, GB, GBC ports did, at least.

That said, Pac-Man Collection and the other Mass Media-developed compilation only give you the options to have the game scroll through a small GBA screen-sized chunk of the original arcade resolution or to show full screen with teeny, tiny little sprites, so be aware of that in advance.

The Digital Eclipse-made one, Namco 50th Anniversary, was probably the best GBA option for Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, etc. It uses an NES Classics-style approach to crunching the original arcade screen resolution onto a GBA screen, and it gives you tons of options for doing so, including scrolling the full resolution like the other version, more or less using the full-sized sprites, but calculating the vertical vs. horizontal physics accordingly so that it matches up with the arcade versions' timing, or, and this was kind of a cool option, rotating the game so that it displays closer to the original resolution vertically, and you use the D-pad so that right becomes up accordingly. You can even switch between the different scaling options with a press of a button in the middle of the game! Unfortunately, you guys aren't getting that one, or not yet, at least.

NES Pac-Land, I agree, is pretty lame versus other available versions. The sprites are much smaller than arcade or TG-16, the backgrounds look blockier, it sounds crappy, and it really just isn't much fun to play. It definitely looks like a circa 1984 Famicom game, and not in a good Balloon Fight way.

BooJoh

I want the 3ds version for 1001 spikes, but is there a benefit to having the Wii U version instead.

The 3DS version has 3D visuals and more of the playfield visible onscreen. However, some levels of the 3DS version have a bug where the traps are slightly brighter than other blocks, which lowers the difficulty for those levels. Similarly the 3D effect sometimes makes hidden passages very obvious. There's also no multiplayer at all.

The Wii U version has an extra Arcade Mode called The Golden Vase in which there's a time limit and a vase onscreen and picking it up causes it to spew out coins. It feels similar to the old Mario 3 multiplayer stages and seems very multiplayer-oriented, probably why it's missing from 3DS. There is no off-TV play yet. It's going to be patched in, but who knows when. We haven't even gotten the patch to fix the game freeze bug (which is in both 3DS and Wii U versions and occurs when completing 1-6 and possibly other levels with certain unlockable characters.)

Overall both versions are really solid, so you should base your choice on multiplayer, 3D visuals, portability, and controller comfort and how important each of those things is to you.

maxcriden

Based on the pics BooJoh has posted from the 3DS version in terms of the easier difficulty, I'm really glad I opted for the Wii U version. The game would still be obscenely difficult, but part of the fun is figuring out the traps for yourself. FWIW I'm loving the game and having a great time with it.

Zero Mission is one of my most fav games ever, sooo soooooo good. <3

Can't believe we haven't had a 2D Metroid since. :( I remember the age of Fusion then Zero Mission and its like oh gawd they're gonna keep giving us these aren't they???

:(

At least we still had Prime.

But oh nevermind, now we don't even get anything.

I tell you, I don't even hate Other M I just hate it in the sense that its probably the reason they threw a wet blanket over the series for an unknown amount of time.

Richie

No games confirmed for America? Usually we find out about VC releases a day before...Could this mean a surprise release come tomorrow? I know the chances are slim, but man, do I want to believe.

90sRobots

A+ post,I am Christina Aguilera! I'll hold off on the Collection.

We usually get something early Thursday morning at the latest and I got bupkiss. I wouldn't expect those Capcom games this week but I've been wrong before!

The 3DS version has 3D visuals and more of the playfield visible onscreen. However, some levels of the 3DS version have a bug where the traps are slightly brighter than other blocks, which lowers the difficulty for those levels. Similarly the 3D effect sometimes makes hidden passages very obvious. There's also no multiplayer at all.

The Wii U version has an extra Arcade Mode called The Golden Vase in which there's a time limit and a vase onscreen and picking it up causes it to spew out coins. It feels similar to the old Mario 3 multiplayer stages and seems very multiplayer-oriented, probably why it's missing from 3DS. There is no off-TV play yet. It's going to be patched in, but who knows when. We haven't even gotten the patch to fix the game freeze bug (which is in both 3DS and Wii U versions and occurs when completing 1-6 and possibly other levels with certain unlockable characters.)

Overall both versions are really solid, so you should base your choice on multiplayer, 3D visuals, portability, and controller comfort and how important each of those things is to you.
Hmmm...I suppose I'll wait for the patch. Thanks for the info.

Based on the pics BooJoh has posted from the 3DS version in terms of the easier difficulty, I'm really glad I opted for the Wii U version. The game would still be obscenely difficult, but part of the fun is figuring out the traps for yourself. FWIW I'm loving the game and having a great time with it.
I'm leaning toward the Wii U version since the 3d is unoptimized.

RiggyRob

C'mon stealth release.

The Mega Man and Pac-Man games already count for that right? Otherwise we'd be seeing a major eShop update in about half an hour.

Edit - Below:
JHiv3ms.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Today's update:

Celebrate E3 with Featured Franchise Favorites
Nintendo eShop Sale – Save up to 30 percent on top franchises being featured at E3, including select Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, The Legend of Zelda, LEGO and Yoshi games. Hurry -- the sale in the Nintendo eShop for both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS ends Monday, June 16, at 8:59 a.m. PT.

Virtual Console on Wii U
Pac-Land – Take control of PAC-MAN on his home island of Pac-Land and try to help a lost fairy home. Your journey will take you through bustling towns, rugged mountains, dangerous ravines and vast deserts. To make matters worse, the ghosts of Pac-Land will stop at nothing to stand in your way. Can you complete this fantastical rescue mission and make it back home in time for dinner?

PAC-MAN Collection – Enjoy four games in one featuring the iconic chomping yellow hero. In PAC-MAN, PAC-MANIA and PAC-MAN Arrangement, help PAC-MAN collect all of the dots and survive multiple levels of mayhem. In PAC-Attack, line up blocks from left to right as they drop down. Think quick, move quicker and plan a path so PAC-MAN can make his attack.

Soccer – Direct your team up and down the field, pick from seven international teams – USA, Great Britain, France, Germany, Brazil, Japan and Spain – and perform all the kickoffs, throw-ins, goal kicks and corner kicks seen in a real match. You can choose the skill level of the opposing team on a scale from one to five, so as your team improves, so do your opponents. You even choose the length of the match. As time ticks down, do your best to score the winning goal.

Virtual Console on Nintendo 3DS
Double Dragon II: The Revenge – Billy and Jimmy Lee, the Double Dragons, are back to avenge the loss of Marion. In their quest to defeat the evil Shadow Warriors, Billy and Jimmy must complete nine missions, facing deadly street gangs, ninjas and huge mutant fighters. The duo must traverse through construction sites, alleyways and underwater hideouts complete with secret elevator shafts, spiked ceilings and razor-sharp mechanical claws. Can Billy and Jimmy contend with the enemies placed before them and save the world?

Nintendo eShop Sales
Nicalis Games – To celebrate the recent release of 1001 Spikes, Nicalis is discounting select games in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS, including Ikachan, Cave Story 3D, NightSky and VVVVVV. This offer ends at 9 a.m. PT on June 26.
INAZUMA ELEVEN – It’s almost summer, and international soccer excitement is in the air. Celebrate the season with a worldwide sale on soccer RPG INAZUMA ELEVEN, now 50 percent off in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS. This offer lasts until 9 a.m. PT on July 13.
Soccer Up 3D – For a limited time, Soccer Up 3D is available at the discounted price of $2.99 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS. This offer ends at 9 a.m. PT on July 16.
Resident Evil Revelations – A scary good deal. Starting today until 9 a.m. PT on June 19, Resident Evil Revelations on Nintendo 3DS and Wii U will be 50 percent off in the Nintendo eShop.
QubicGames – For a limited time, QubicGames is discounting select games in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS, including 2 Fast 4 Gnomz and AiRace Speed. This offer ends at 9 a.m. PT on July 2.

Also new this week:
AiRace Xeno (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Van Helsing sniper Zx100 (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)

Jucksalbe

Banned
Nicalis Games – To celebrate the recent release of 1001 Spikes, Nicalis is discounting select games in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS, including Ikachan, Cave Story 3D, NightSky and VVVVVV. This offer ends at 9 a.m. PT on June 26.:

Oh, I hope the normal Cave Story is also part of this sale.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
They totally discounted Ikachan because of Splatoon.

Wanna try Cave Story 3D one of these days, but it stays around $30-ish which is rather expensive compared to the downloadable versions that're about $10.

& not sure if it's fitting to ask here, but I might as well ask. I was wanting to show my friend a WiiWare game that I had transferred over from my Wii to Wii U, but it was saying that the game wouldn't work on that system. I did the Transfer Channel to move all my saves & games over. Is it because I'm trying to read them off the SD card and need to actually re-download them all again?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That'd make sense. Though I've got about 40 games. Might just redownload the ones that I'd show my friend and/or could play together.

INAZUMA ELEVEN – It’s almost summer, and international soccer excitement is in the air. Celebrate the season with a worldwide sale on soccer RPG INAZUMA ELEVEN, now 50 percent off in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS. This offer lasts until 9 a.m. PT on July 13.
Given level5ia is the publisher in Europe too (everywhere but the UK because British dub for British people) I wonder why there was no sale here. Maybe they are skipping it because IE Go is about to come out here.

JoeM86

Europe has got Pac-Man Collection and Pac-Land on the Wii U eShop now too, at a special promotional price until June 19th

Pac-Man Collection: £3.75 (Normally £5.39)
Pac-Land: £2.40 (Normally £3.49)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Good lord Nintendo is bad at having an online storefront.
eh... the sad fact is that, quantity wise, there isn't a ton on either store than is "omfgneedneedneed". The Wii U eShop got off to a slowish start and is less than two years old.. and the 3DS eShop got off to a REALLY slow start even though that is three years old. So if they just put the strongly desirable titles on sale, basically those titles would be rotated into a sale every few weeks causing people to hold off on buying any of them until they go on sale.

don't get me wrong.. it sucks.. :( but until both shops mature it's going to continue to be rough.

well that and Nintendo's utter refusal to discount ANY first party titles except for the absolute oldest and already best sellers. Nintendo needs to realize that MS and Sony offering year old titles in a sale for $20 or even $12 is a good thing for their platforms, not a bad thing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Here's the deals for the Nicalis games for 3DS:

- Cave Story (3DSware version) ($5.99, was $9.99)
- VVVVVV ($3.99, was $7.99)
- Ikachan ($2.50, was $4.99)
- NightSky ($4.99, was $9.99)

Strangely, Cave Story 3D isn't on there, though it's not available for download, so guess it was a typo.

As someone who only played the WiiWare version at launch, is there enough stuff to warrant getting the 3DSware version? I wanted to check out 3D, but again, just is too expensive considering the other versions are normally $10.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ha, didn't even know Cave Story 3D isn't on the eShop. Well, I'm glad it's the "normal" Cave Story that's on sale, waited for a sale on that for a while.

Robin64

Unff....

60Hz Super Punch-Out is just so good.

Super Punch-Out in general is so good, mind! Every punch feels so MEATY, I love it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Completely forgot that Super Punch-Out is released today. I still have some credit from my MK8 bonus game's NNP points, but I wanted to wait to see what E3 brings.
Well, E3 brought nothing and now I'm trying to decide between Super Punch-Out, Uncharted Waters and Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Robin64

Haha, so rusty at Super Punch-Out. Got hit by Gabby Jay, couldn't counter Bald Bull's charge, took so long to beat Bear Hugger...

tolkir

Another World 20th Anniversary next week on Europe eShop. 7.99 €
Monkey Pirates too. 4.99 €

and Pusmo World, of course. 9.99 €

... other one, Color Zen kids. 2.99 €

Top Bottom