• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie

What if:

Zelda launch
Mario Kart launch
Splatoon launch

Skyrim summer

3D Mario holidays

?

IMO Skyrim would be better served with a sooner release, since it's already arriving late as it is. Zelda will sell great regardless of when it's coming, and if it's close enough to the Switch's launch, as early Summer would be, it'd still serve as an incentive for early adopters.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wow Laura can't be trusted anymore! Hehe

Anyways this is what makes rumors just...rumors. January 12/13 will be an amazing day.

Well she's not saying she doesn't trust her sources anymore, just pointing out that the marketing sends a different message.

Well she's not saying she doesn't trust her sources anymore, just pointing out that the marketing sends a different message.
I was just saying not every source will get everything right. Things change or her source may not have the latest info. I personally don't mind if it comes out on launch or two months later.

I think Nintendo should have it at launch if it's possible.

doop_

Banned
Man, only 11 days left. I remember when they first announced the presentation and we all thought it was so far away. Now there's barely 2 weeks left.

I think that showing a fully featured Zelda is key for marketing the Switch. It is like saying... "Hi!!! dont expect Phantom Hourglass here, the Switch is the main system and will get fully featured Zeldas"

The more I play Hitman the more I think it's fits Switch, you can play it for hours or you can do one opportunity that takes 20 minutes.

Perfect for both home console and on the go gaming.

I have my doubts it will be ported though.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm gonna do the same when I get back to my Uni city. Whilst I likely won't go to the midnight release picking the Switch up in store is gonna feel so great. The Switch is the first console I'll actually be getting at launch so I don't want to miss out. Where did you preorder from?

Late reply so I hope you see this, I pre ordered from the Game in Newcastle. There were no signs or anything up in store.

roytheone

The more I play Hitman the more I think it's fits Switch, you can play it for hours or you can do one opportunity that takes 20 minutes.

Perfect for both home console and on the go gaming.

I have my doubts it will be ported though.

The online only nature of the unlocks in that game is problematic though.

Josh5890

What if:

Zelda launch
Mario Kart launch
Splatoon launch

Skyrim summer

3D Mario holidays

?

All three of those cannot come out on launch day unless they want to cannibalize. There needs to be two of those titles MAX on launch day. And then at least a month between releases. I could see a combination including a 3D Mario or Zelda game and a Splatoon or Mario Kart game at launch. Smart move is having a killer single player adventure game and a multiplayer game available at launch. Two of the same would be overkill.

Plum

Late reply so I hope you see this, I pre ordered from the Game in Newcastle. There were no signs or anything up in store.

Don't worry, I saw it! That sounds about right for a big city like that. Just hope that the one in Cardiff has enough, though it probably will. I was surprised to see it on the top of their website's pre-order list.

R00bot

Something has to give as it makes no strategic sense for Nintendo to launch a brand new Mario and Zelda on the same day. I still feel that all the marketing that Nintendo has done points toward Zelda being there at launch, but i'd be happy with the original rumors being true since it would mean that I get to play a brand new 3D Mario at launch.

Why wouldn't it make strategic sense?
They want the system to release with compelling software at launch.
It only wouldn't make strategic sense if they have no other games coming out after launch, but we don't know that yet.

Portugeezer

She should just stay quiet about it tbh, sounds like she knows she is wrong. I mean, I hope she is just because I would like Zelda at launch.

sonto340

Mario and Zelda at the same time would be a mistake
I disagree. They scratch two completely different itches. Mario satisfies "casual" gamers and Zelda hits well with the "hardcore" crowd.
There's likely a bit of crossover in both, but having both a Zelda and a new Mario game at launch would be amazing.

From another perspective, Mario satisfies the more bite sized handheld game form factor(granted, we know little about the structure of the game.) where as Zelda leans more toward long play sessions as a home console focused game.
The marketing remains to be seen but there's definitely more than one way they can pull off both being out at the same time rather successfully.

LordKano

She should just stay quiet about it tbh, sounds like she knows she is wrong. I mean, I hope she is just because I would like Zelda at launch.

She's fully transparent about what her sources told her and what she thinks it is. Every journalist should be that way.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Maybe NoA is confident the game will release at launch but NoE is less sure because there's more localization on that side?

So maybe NoA thinks it's a launch title, but if NoE can't finish localization in time and if Nintendo wants to do a WW release then NoA will be forced to delay until the NoE localization is done?

Mario and Zelda at launch?

Yes please.

Edit: Emily/Laura have to be upfront with their leaks otherwise they'll get criticized if they make mistakes. That's why I'm sure they're trying to figure out Zelda launch date before 12th.

Frodo

I'm waiting for the 12th much more than I was waiting for the New Year. It's not long now. Hope Nintendo delivers.

(And kinda of selfishly wish hopes BotW isn't a launch title, because I need to save money and I really can't justify buying a Switch right now, although I will probably want one if that is the case)

Zedark

Maybe NoA is confident the game will release at launch but NoE is less sure because there's more localization on that side?

So maybe NoA thinks it's a launch title, but if NoE can't finish localization in time and if Nintendo wants to do a WW release then NoA will be forced to delay until the NoE localization is done?

Maybe, but wouldn't NOA be aware of this hypothetical situation? If NOE can't get the game localised for launch, I would think NOA would be continually briefed about the status of this, as it would affect their marketing as well. Maybe they don't, which would be a profoundly stupid way of going about things in my eyes, but I would hope they do.

LordKano

Zelda won't be delayed because of localization. It never happened and won't ever happen with Zelda games, and especially major ones.

Zedark

Mario and Zelda at launch?

Yes please.

Edit: Emily/Laura have to be upfront with their leaks otherwise they'll get criticized if they make mistakes. That's why I'm sure they're trying to figure out Zelda launch date before 12th.

I would definitely love it, but I wonder if it is strategically sound to do this. Either one can carry a launch lineup perfectly well (provided there are a few more smaller first party things and third party content as well), and they will want to avoid any semblance of drought in their first year lineup, as that worked against the WiiU. Spacing the big games out more would help in this regard obviously, and additionally it might give breathing room for third parties to get a foothold on the system and not be drowned out by two of the biggest Nintendo games around.

Speaking against this is the concern that Switch does not have a strong day one lineup, but as I said, a Mario game will be such a big game that it can spearhead a launch lineup well on its own, rounding it out with a few smaller things and third party.

Xiao Hu

I don't know if I would pick up Skyrim at launch. Already put 300+ hours in the original game and I've seen almost everything so far. I will most likely pick BotW first and then do a roleplaying run with Skyrim later in autumn.

Net

I don't know if I would pick up Skyrim at launch. Already put 300+ hours in the original game and I've seen almost everything so far. I will most likely pick BotW first and then do a roleplaying run with Skyrim later in autumn.

That's why it should launch with Mario.

Why wouldn't it make strategic sense?
They want the system to release with compelling software at launch.

And a brand new Mario or Zelda would do that alongside an enhanced port of Splatoon and whatever else they may have. They don't need both at launch. One of the things that Nintendo has struggled with as far as their consoles go is keeping up the momentum after launch. So, they could launch Zelda alongside the console and then have Mario a month or 2-3 months down the line. That would keep the ball rolling. That could lead into that enhanced port of MK8, which is said to be extensive. Emily has claimed that Retro's game would be released next year, so that could be positioned as their big, or at least one of their big holidays titles.

The most important thing for them to do is to at least keep a steady flow of first party releases. They don't need to go all out for launch day. One game that people feel they need to have is really all you need. All you're trying to do there is get the ball rolling.

CPCunha

March 17th, me walking out of Nintendo World Store with this beautiful Switch box, a Switch Pro-Controller, an extra pair of Joy-cons, A new 3D Mario, a new Zelda, a remastered Splatoon and one surprise game.

That's my wish for 1st half 2017.

Oregano

And a brand new Mario or Zelda would do that alongside an enhanced port of Splatoon and whatever else they may have. They don't need both at launch. One of the things that Nintendo has struggled with as far as their consoles go is keeping up the momentum after launch. So, they could launch Zelda alongside the console and then have Mario a month or 2-3 months down the line. That would keep the ball rolling. That could lead into that enhanced port of MK8, which is said to be extensive. Emily has claimed that Retro's game would be released next year, so that could be positioned as their big, or at least one of their big holidays titles.

The most important thing for them to do is to at least keep a steady flow of first party releases. They don't need to go all out for launch day. One game that people feel they need to have is really all you need. All you're trying to do there is get the ball rolling.

If they could somehow do both it would make absolute sense to launch with both. That would make it possibly the strongest launch ever for a Nintendo system.

I'm not sure if it would be possible but if Nintendo are combining their development on to Switch doesn't that mean there's a ton of 3DS teams who might have projects ready?

EDIT: Zelda could compete with Skyrim but it might also have the opposite effect. People will buy Switch for Zelda and possibly pick up Skyrim because they want another game at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom