• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I really do believe that Splatoon on Switch won't just be a mere port. That would be boring for a very young franchise. Smash and Mario Kart will sell regardless, they can get away with "boring" enhanced ports. But not Splatoon.

I found it extremely tough to discuss about Splatoon in term of having anticipation for new contents. On behalf of Splatoon, it's based in original world of it's own, and I'm pretty confident that everything would come back from Splatoon, along with new original contents so it's kinda hard to speculate something about the game.

Smash and Mario Kart are way easier to discuss about in term of opportunities for veterans and returning features, along with new contents from other franchises. I meant we could just speculate about which character getting in Smash Bros and Mario Kart, and what stages and tracks we would see in both games. Basically, my point is Mario Kart and Smash Bros are open books in term of available former contents from old games, along with new contents from franchises (mostly Smash Bros).

Do you think Mario Kart 8's enhanced port will offer everything from the Wii U game + 16 new tracks? I have a feeling they'll take the DLC from 8, add 16 new tracks, a better roster, and a competent battle mode and try to pass it off as Mario Kart 9. Maybe 8's tracks will be the DLC this time around. I just find it hard to believe that they'd include that much content.

Net

Do you think Mario Kart 8's enhanced port will offer everything from the Wii U game + 16 new tracks? I have a feeling they'll take the DLC from 8, add 16 new tracks, a better roster, and a competent battle mode and try to pass it off as Mario Kart 9. Maybe 8's tracks will be the DLC this time around. I just find it hard to believe that they'd include that much content.
I think they'll ditch the number for this one and call it Mario Kart Switch.

oti

Banned
All signs point to it being an enhanced port, but it looks like it'll be the most enhanced of the 3 Wii U games you mentioned.
I just believe that the distinction between sequel and enhanced port will be the easiest with Splatoon. Imagine if that wasn't the case. It's the newest and freshest IP in years. If they really ran out of ideas and put everything they had in mind in Splatoon 1, that would be a huge bummer.

lutheran

My opinion is they will never speak about a successor to the 3DS and we will assume the Switch is the next/only handheld from them. If it is successful it will stay that way, if it flounders then all of a sudden leaks will start to flow about a true 3DS successor. They will not allow their gold mine handheld division to die off if for some reason the Switch isn't a success in either the console or handheld buyers market. I do hope all efforts go toward Switch game development. It will be a must own item if the normal Nintendo handheld developers are all making games for this system. JMO...

Zedark

My opinion is they will never speak about a successor to the 3DS and we will assume the Switch is the next/only handheld from them. If it is successful it will stay that way, if it flounders then all of a sudden leaks will start to flow about a true 3DS successor. They will not allow their gold mine handheld division to die off if for some reason the Switch isn't a success in either the console or handheld buyers market. I do hope all efforts go toward Switch game development. It will be a must own item if the normal Nintendo handheld developers are all making games for this system. JMO...

Yeah, the third pillar talk during the GBA to ds transition was also just a safeguard in case the new concept failed. I think they will phase out the 3ds if Switch proves to be successful enough.

KtSlime

This isn't even a good fake.

C1DXCy9VEAIF5Xm.jpg:large

Logo over the system like that?
No age rating?
Reflection NOT upside down?

0/10

I like the all red box, reminds me of a premium pair of shoes or something. But the print quality is pizza box level bad.

oti

Banned
I mostly want it to be about BGE2, Bayonetta 3, or some other bitch'n, crazy ass niche title we never knew we wanted. But... you know....

She said it would be about Skyrim, Zelda and Joy-Con or something. 😑

What do you think she has to say about them?

roytheone

Do you guys think the event on the 13th is going to kick off a non-stop news drip up until launch, or will that event have pretty much all the information and it will just be a long wait for launch day?

Do you guys think the event on the 13th is going to kick off a non-stop news drip up until launch, or will that event have pretty much all the information and it will just be a long wait for launch day?

You would expect a non-stop news drip if it were any other company, but Nintendo will probably underestimate demand for news and run out of Internet data until launch.

Meesh

Well it's new years, I'm drunk and stoned beyond repair so I apologize... but if it's Joy-con related I'll bet it's to do with it's battery life??? I mean... could be relatively boring shit lol.

But... maybe with Zelda, like we've see the various guardians and such. But maybe there's some insight into how many towns we can explore, how many hours they feel it'll take us to complete the game, or even returning enemies or even bosses?? Typically I'm not sure if Zelda games have returning or recurring fan favorite bosses... but I wouldn't mind seeing it happen as BotW is basically a throw back to the earliest games... maybe a nod to the Zelda faithful? Also there could be some kind of online component in the works we're not aware of...

If it's Skyrim perhaps it's about how Bethesda optimized it for NS, or maybe a little more on mod support but I doubt it'll be anything like official Zelda items/armor or Nintendo specific DLC. Who knows, I'm wrong all the time, and like I said, drunk and stoned lol so all apologies.

I honestly don't know what to expect. I could see it going either way.

Zedark

I would think so. You can't disperse the complete message in the course of a single (or two) day. The major features will obviously be discussed on this day, but some minor features will likely be spoken about in interviews, panels and such. Also, I think third party developers will announce their plans for supporting the Switch (if they have them) somewhere around and after this presentation, maybe even name drop an already announced title that will be ported. Japanese developers seem to be quite easy with dropping hints about projects in development for Switch (some are already committing to full Switch projects), so I expect some Japanese developers to announce their plans relatively quickly as well. In addition, remember that the Switch will be doing tours around many major cities around the world, and will likely visit many gaming conventions during the remaining weeks, so I expect them to use them to some degree for dropping minor features.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Ideally, something to keep our expectations in order but still make us look forward to January 12th.

Well the contents anticipated are already known and have been discussed so...
Zelda June release? Skyrim mod detailed? Customizable Joy Cons?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Not to forget, the FY 2016 Nine Months Earnings Release and Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing are scheduled for January 31, 2017 respectively February 01, 2017 (tentatively). While unlikely, in my opinion, they could be saving select details on Nintendo Switch until that briefing (or news conference on Jan. 31).

Xiao Hu

Skyrim: Perhaps some exclusive tweeks for the Switch version? Most likely clarify the mod support if any is coming (I guess it will be ridiculously limited like on the PS4)

Zelda: I dunno

Joy-Cons: Battery life and range?

Terrell

I mean, porting 3DS stages it's fine and all but the amount of characters is rather low.

I'm sorry, but what?

It's all going to come down to what the ports are offered for at retail and whether or not that is a viable value proposition for consumers.

Bomberman deserves to be in Smash. And to have a new game on Switch, the machine is perfect for that franchise.

People need to stop saying "(insert franchise/game name) is perfect for" something. It's a great idea, at best, but nothing is "perfect". This phrase gets thrown around a fair bit and even I admit to being guilty of it in the distant past, but it's time to give it up.

That's not to say that I disagree with the base premise of that sentence, though, Bomberman back on consoles is a really great idea. It's just a shame that Konami would make the decision on that and.... well......

roytheone

I would think so. You can't disperse the complete message in the course of a single (or two) day. The major features will obviously be discussed on this day, but some minor features will likely be spoken about in interviews, panels and such. Also, I think third party developers will announce their plans for supporting the Switch (if they have them) somewhere around and after this presentation, maybe even name drop an already announced title that will be ported. Japanese developers seem to be quite easy with dropping hints about projects in development for Switch (some are already committing to full Switch projects), so I expect some Japanese developers to announce their plans relatively quickly as well. In addition, remember that the Switch will be doing tours around many major cities around the world, and will likely visit many gaming conventions during the remaining weeks, so I expect them to use them to some degree for dropping minor features.

True, at the very least we should see a nice trickle of hands on experiences after the 13th.

Genio88

To me Zelda won't be a launch game, not only cause that game is huge and likely needs more work, but also cause Nintendo should already release the new main Mario, Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 at launch, they already said they want to spread better their games than they did in the past, throwing out Zelda at launch too would be too much and would hurt sales of third paty games like Skyrim, and Nintendo want to be trusted by third publisher this time

oti

Banned
To me Zelda won't be a launch game, not only cause that game is huge and likely needs more work, but also cause Nintendo should already release the new main Mario, Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 at launch, they already said they want to spread better their games than they did in the past, throwing out Zelda at launch too would be too much and would hurt sales of third paty games like Skyrim, and Nintendo want to be trusted by third publisher this time

What if:

Zelda launch
Mario Kart launch
Splatoon launch

Skyrim summer

3D Mario holidays

?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Laura is talking about how the marketing ads for the Switch so far seems to contradict her sources that Zelda will not launch at the launch of the system.

Basically "I don't know what the hell is up with that."

Laura is talking about how the marketing ads for the Switch so far seems to contradict her sources that Zelda will not launch at the launch of the system.

Remember that ridiculous rumour at one point suggesting BotW will be delayed but only in Europe due to multi-5 localisation?

Please no.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Remember that ridiculous rumour at one point suggesting BotW will be delayed but only in Europe due to multi-5 localisation?

Please no.

Even that isn't clear.

The GAME ad for the Switch, who is in the UK, says Zelda is coming in March. Tho their ads seems less official than the GameStop ones.

Wow Laura can't be trusted anymore! Hehe

Anyways this is what makes rumors just...rumors. January 12/13 will be an amazing day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom