• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I think they do. I'm one of those who believe Nintendo will release a separate handheld other than Switch in the future. Their 3DS lineup for 2017 pretty stacked, and they're doing this just to keep 3DS alive until the successor arrives. Otherwise them being also on 3DS won't do them good, they'd need every single Switch exclusive.

Plus, Pokémon probably won't be a mere "port", it's supposed to be third version. I won't be surprised if some serious dramatic additions comes with the game. Like, huge post game content.

If an separate successor to 3DS is coming, I'm not seeing why Nintendo is releasing a mainline Pokemon game on Switch.

My guess is because Switch isn't simply a Wii U replacement.

Nintendo has always supported their handhelds longer than their consoles. 3DS's 2017 lineup isn't remotely surprising.

I still think that Cloud is a prelude to a Final Fantasy announcement for the NS. Doesn't make any sense to have him in Smash unless there's something connected to Nintendo platforms.
Well Sakurai gave a interview about Terra being first choice to represent FF in Smash before deciding Cloud should be it as he's the face of FF. So I wouldn't be too sure of Remake happening.

Of course I'm on mobile so I could be misremembering.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Golden Sun wasn't represented in latest game, for some reason. I think it's inexcusable, as Golden Sun was the greatest RPG Nintendo have ever funded. Yes even better than Earthbound, which we're still yet to see third game of the series, whose protagonist is already a Smash 4 fighter.

well, people would say that if there weren't any other RPGs at the time in GBA

...just like Tales of Symphonia

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I really don't think this Smash port will be the only Smash game on Switch. There probably will be a true successor, where Inklings might be more than just Mii costumes. But from sounds of it, this Smash up-port just a simple port. I don't even expect 6 new characters, we'd be lucky if we get just one.

I still can't really see it happening tho but I would admits I'm wrong if it's in case.

I meant, it costed a lot of money for Nintendo to rent a team from Namco-Bandai and paying the costs of development, materials, etc. They managed to get the team to working on Smash 3DS, Wii U, DLC and now Switch. Also you have to think about the workers and supplies as well.

If they spend like a year on Smash Bros for Switch (it's just an assumption), then they probably want to get it over with and move on with their other projects. Also it's plausible Sakurai probably want to work on something new as well since he have spent so much time with Smash Bros Project which is 2012 to 2017.

Crazyorloco

Playing Nba 2k17 on my phone (the controls suck, but it's still addictive) and I'm so happy we're going to have a good sports game on a Nintendo system again. It's been awhile...2013?

Looking forward to March!

18-Volt

If an separate successor to 3DS is coming, I'm not seeing why Nintendo is releasing a mainline Pokemon game on Switch.

Pokémon is on Switch because Nintendo's main goal right now selling as many consoles as they can to increase the userbase, they believe it's the only way to attract 3rd party. And after record smashing sales of Sun & Moon, Pokémon is perfect way to achieve this.

But 3DS ports would not move Switch sales at all, as they're also on another platform and that platform is a handheld too. There is no point in porting them to Switch.

This isn't even a good fake.

C1DXCy9VEAIF5Xm.jpg:large

Logo over the system like that?
No age rating?
Reflection NOT upside down?

0/10

haha too funny.

Pokémon is on Switch because Nintendo's main goal right now selling as many consoles as they can to increase the userbase, they believe it's the only way to attract 3rd party. And after record smashing sales of Sun & Moon, Pokémon is perfect way to achieve this.

But 3DS ports would not move Switch sales at all, as they're also on another platform and that platform is a handheld too. There is no point in porting them to Switch.

One port won't.

A large, diverse library of games will. Switch is going to be full of ports throughout its life, from a number of Nintendo systems.

Also, spoiler alert, Pokemon Stars will be a 3DS port. An enhanced port, but a port just the same. And I would assume ports like Ever Oasis and Mario Sports Superstars will be enhanced as well.

I suspect the 3DS replacement will be a 'Switch lite' kind of thing with a smaller screen, no removable controllers and no docking ability. All games will be shared between the main console and portable lite version.

Yes, exactly.

BigPete

My guess is because Switch isn't simply a Wii U replacement.

Nintendo has always supported their handhelds longer than their consoles. 3DS's 2017 lineup isn't remotely surprising.

I suspect the 3DS replacement will be a 'Switch lite' kind of thing with a smaller screen, no removable controllers and no docking ability. All games will be shared between the main console and portable lite version.

Edit: I'm not saying it will be called switch lite, because it doesn't make sense to have a 'switch' branded device that doesn't actually switch. But it will play the same games at the portable spec so it will be part of the same family of devices.

Just my guess.

Neoxon

If there's gonna be a 3DS successor, it'll be a mini version of the Switch that's portable-only. The last thing they need right now is to split their efforts. Either way, Stars supposedly being on the Switch should make it clear that the Switch as a platform is replacing both the Wii U & the 3DS.

Malakai

Edit: I'm not saying it will be called switch lite, because it doesn't make sense to have a 'switch' branded device that doesn't actually switch. But it will play the same games at the portable spec so it will be part of the same family of devices.

Just my guess.

That is a good point. Now I am wondering how would Nintendo name/market/brand a portable only and home only version of the Switch? Switch GO and Switch HOME?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
2017, the year where videogames will finally be elevated out of the handheld gaming ghetto! /s

The Nintendo Switch full reveal is nigh.

I don't really think a Tekken character would be all that exciting, especially since we already have Ryu.

Capcom has two characters because Mega Man and Ryu are both big and deserving icons in their own right. With SEGA, Sonic also fulfills that category, but Bayonetta mainly got in because of the ballot. I guess you could justify a Tekken character considering it's the highest selling fighting game series ever but I don't think people would lose their shit over Heihachi in the same way they would with somebody like Mega Man or Cloud. I don't think Namco needs another character for the sake of it.

Well, the rep wouldn't necessarily HAVE to be a Tekken char, I just remembered Mr. Sakurai saying Heihachi was considered. But, I see your point. Instead, what if we had one of the Sun/Moon starters? I think Incineroar would be interesting; Smash's first true grappler?

But if I recall correctly, Source Gaming heard that only 2 characters will be added. While 6 would be awesome, I'm not sure if that counts as minimal (though that depends on Laura's definition of minimal within the context of Smash 4). But if by some miracle there's 6 additional characters, I'm gonna guess...
  • Ice Climbers
  • Wolf
  • Inkling
  • King K. Rool
  • Chorus Kids or some other Rhythm Heaven rep
  • Decidueye
If Source Gaming is on the money & it's just 2, I'm gonna go with Ice Climbers & the Inklings.

Also, the Wii U could handle the Ice Climbers. It was the 3DS's technical limitations & Sakurai's commitment to roster parity between both versions that screwed the Ice Climbers over.

I wasn't aware that SG had any leaks! I say 6 because A) that's only one less than the massively hyped DLC B) that would give us 64 characters, which would be neat! If it really is just two, I think you're right about who it's gonna be. I know Wii U hamsled the ICs fine; plenty of folks railed against the 3DS version because of that.

If a Rhythm Heaven character gets in, I don't necessarily need it to be the Chorus Kids, but I would definitely prefer a "music" themed character, rather than characters like Karate Joe, the Wrestler, etc. There is no main character for the series, so they can choose pretty much anyone (or even have multiple characters in one) and a music themed character would represent the series best IMO, especially if the character has a unique rhythm mechanic. Having a martial arts character represent a rhythm game, especially when the quintessential martial arts character (Ryu) is in the game already? Eh. I understand the argument for using Karate Joe, I just think the Chorus Kids or Rhythm Girl would be more unique/fitting.

I mainly say Karate Joe because he could easily perform moves inspired by other RH mini games. He's a blank slate; I could easily see him acting out other characters' moves!

I'm at a New Years Party and was like, "2017, Year of the Switch!" and a bunch of people who I would not consider core gamers said, "Omg that thing is going to be so cool!"

So obviously massive hit confirmed.

jonno394

Setting aside about £300 for my preorder, should net me the bigger sku, 128 micro sd and a couple launch games. Might up it to 350/400 depending on the lineup. :p

How did you work that out? £250 for the bigger capacity switch, £25 for the SD card, that leaves £25 for a "couple launch games"?

But it makes total sense.

Beyond Good & Evil 2 has no right to exist. The first one bombed, only a very small, very vocal group of players ask for a sequel. How do you greenlight such a project? You ask for collaborations. Sony says nah, we're good. Microsoft laughs their asses off. Nintendo looks at it and says yes, for multiple reasons.

One, they want to maintain the good relationship they have with Ubsioft. Think about it, Ubisoft and Nintendo are so different and yet they share common values. BG&E features a photographer who lives with talking animals and her father is a pig. That's the kind of quirky that Nintendo appreciates. It's not cool, it's not suited for PS4 or Xbox, but it makes sense on Switch.
Two, Nintendo needs more "street cred" by the folks who don't buy Nintendo hardware just because of Nintendo games. Again, BG&E doesn't do much for all the Dudebros out there but I'm sure a lot of people played the first one on PS2 and have fond memories of it. Maybe they buy a Switch for the sequel.
Three, Nintendo wants to show the industry they are ready to strike these kind of deals, even if the IPs aren't the biggest money makers, as long as the developers deliver quality.

I know about the comments Ancel made but people jump to the conclusion that they need the best hardware out there. That doesn't make any sense. This game that will hardly sell gets the most demanding hardware and all the resources you have to put in there to use the hardware? No way. It should work fine on Switch.

Some people might cry here on GAF when it turns out to really be Switch exclusive but they don't matter. BG&E is niche niche niche.

I agree with everything you said. Also the original was actually on the Gamecube, unlike Bayonetta which wasn't on a Nintendo system at all before Bayonetta 2. I think this makes TOTAL sense as a Switch exclusive, and I am really excited to see it confirmed. Happy New Year!!!!

AzaK

I don't think this is true. Having worked at Nintendo for a little bit many years ago during the GC days, I'd say that the main issue comes from not being able to relate to what those guys want. People who work at Nintendo discuss the same things we do...this notion of Kiddie vs. "core" (this was especially true during the GC days). They want to play those games on their Nintendo system. However, I think what's important to them is different than what's important to western developers. But the people inside are definitely "core" gamers...at least from my dealings with them in the last couple of years.

Perhaps this is changing...at least I hope it is, because I'm in the same boat as you. I want more western support and more varied experiences. I have no need for a Nintendo only box with some indies. There has to be more than that for me. That's what I'm personally looking at going into the event on the 12th. If they can't convince me that they're going in a direction that includes me, then I definitely won't be picking up or developing on an NS.

That said, I'm pretty hopeful and fairly positive right now.

Sorry if I gave the impression the Nintendo folk aren't core gamers (Although Miyamoto I have no idea about). Nintendo has in the past presented this idea that the gritty AAA game is really some niche market and they can do better, however we now have 2 "gritty AAA" machines in the PS4 and XBO that have sold, what, 60 million so far with the PS4 having the lion's share and Wii U was a complete flop. There is certainly a massive market for the big games and graphics and I always thought Nintendo was foolish for not ensuring that they had their fair share of that audience.

It was made even more insane by Nintendo not even having Minecraft on their machine until recently. One of the top selling games of all time and it took years and years for them to get it on their machine. It really just made me wonder how out of touch Nintendo was.

Let's hope that this will change, I won't be forking out out 00's of dollars for a Zelda box again.

Phoenixus

How did you work that out? £250 for the bigger capacity switch, £25 for the SD card, that leaves £25 for a "couple launch games"?

Heh, I'm hoping its a bit less than £250, but yeah I'll likely need more. :p Plus if the wallet is biting a bit too much those could be cheap downloadable games (come on Sonic Mania!)

oti

Banned
Smash is boring, let's talk about Nintendo's flagship series Splatoon.

I really do believe that Splatoon on Switch won't just be a mere port. That would be boring for a very young franchise. Smash and Mario Kart will sell regardless, they can get away with "boring" enhanced ports. But not Splatoon.

Neoxon

I really do believe that Splatoon on Switch won't just be a mere port. That would be boring for a very young franchise. Smash and Mario Kart will sell regardless, they can get away with "boring" enhanced ports. But not Splatoon.
All signs point to it being an enhanced port, but it looks like it'll be the most enhanced of the 3 Wii U games you mentioned.

I was pissed that it will be a port but really, what would a true sequel include that you can't add to a port???
There will be new maps, new modes, new weapons, new clothes, just like a sequel would have.
I doubt they'd drastically change the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom