• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And EA has an entire year to figure out what it intends to do on all of those fronts. Considering that the release date isn't even pinned down for Andromeda, there is an opportunity for EA to change their tune on that game specifically and their position on Switch as a whole.

They've got time until release, but I think it's safe to say a Switch version of ME:A won't materialize in time for the main launch.

Which means EA is either waiting to see how the launch shakes out before committing to the platform, or they never considered it in the first place. Given all available information, both outcomes seem likely.

ultrazilla

I think the Amazon/Nintendo beef was settled and everything appears back to normal.

I'll add that I spoke with a local GameStop manager today and he said corporate told them to stop taking "unofficial" pre-orders for the Switch as they were getting sizable lists from stores and corporate was worried Nintendo wouldn't be able to fulfill them.

Apparently if you're on an "un-official" list.....you may have got wiped. I would suggest if you put your name on an "un-official" list, call to see if they kept it or not. My local store(different from the place I got this info) backed up the other manager's story but said they still had their list and would call you once official preorders are open in the order you were on the list and you'll have a small window to go put money down to lock in a system.

Good luck!

I think the Amazon/Nintendo beef was settled and everything appears back to normal.

I'll add that I spoke with a local GameStop manager today and he said corporate told them to stop taking "unofficial" pre-orders for the Switch as they were getting sizable lists from stores and corporate was worried Nintendo wouldn't be able to fulfill them.

Apparently if you're on an "un-official" list.....you may have got wiped. I would suggest if you put your name on an "un-official" list, call to see if they kept it or not. My local store(different from the place I got this info) backed up the other manager's story but said they still had their list and would call you once official preorders are open in the order you were on the list and you'll have a small window to go put money down to lock in a system.

Good luck!
I'm running to Gamestop first thing on the 13th.

jdmonmou

THIS is what I want to hear about in January. If I see Switch versions of multiplats for 40 and I see PS4/X1 multiplats for 60, that means I can buy 3 games on my Switch as opposed to only 2 on the PS4/X1 AND they'll be portable.

I think maximizing my cash means a lot more for me than resolution.

The caveat of course is that there will be some games that are graphical masterpieces that I would rather own on my future Scorpio.

I think it's safe to expect for all Switch games to be priced at $60 since Nintendo has said that they will continue to support the 3DS. The Switch is going to be sold and marketed mainly as a home console.

Nairume

Banned
I think it's safe to expect for all Switch games to be priced at $60 since Nintendo has said that they will continue to support the 3DS. The Switch is going to be sold and marketed mainly as a home console.
...except WiiU games weren't all priced at 60.

J@hranimo

Banned
Does Best Buy usually do preorders for new consoles? Like did they do it for PS4 or XB1? I kinda wanna rack up some serious points with my GCU subscription...

No it's not safe to assume that. If you were a Nintendo fan and owned a Wii U you should already know Nintendo had $40 and $50 games.

It will be the exact same thing with Switch.

Does Best Buy usually do preorders for new consoles? Like did they do it for PS4 or XB1? I kinda wanna rack up some serious points with my GCU subscription...
Yep of course.
I have a lot of Amazon GC so I will order it there but if some reason the feud is still on I will go Bestbuy.

wwm0nkey

I would not be surprised to see folks waiting outside of Gamestops at the start of business on the 13th, hoping to land preorders, especially if event on the evening of the 12th is compelling.

That's what I am doing and F5ing the fuck out of BestBuy and Amazon while the conference is going

We will see different pricing for different games. not every Wii U game was $60, so......

I would not be surprised to see folks waiting outside of Gamestops at the start of business on the 13th, hoping to land preorders, especially if event on the evening of the 12th is compelling.
Yeah if Gamestop was open till 10pm I would go down the same night to order lol.

Moltenix

I'm wondering how they'll handle traditionally "portable" games for the Switch, will some games just have a $40 price point like current 3DS games?

Something like Pokemon has always been a portable game but there's no way they don't end up charging full console game price for Pokemon Stars. Maybe they'll stick with handheld pricing for smaller games but I suspect we're going to see a bump in prices for the bigger titles.

J@hranimo

Banned
Yep of course.
I have a lot of Amazon GC so I will order it there but if some reason the feud is still on I will go Bestbuy.

Awesome! I was hoping so, I've never done a console preorder with them before and really wanted to put the GCU to good use with the launch of the Switch + games and accessories. Thanks.

Nairume

Banned
Wait, what? Are you saying I got ripped off? I remember paying $60 when I bought Splatoon and Mario Maker at launch.
Those games were 60, yes. Other games like Tropical Freeze and Wind Waker were 50, while stuff like Captain Toad and Game & Wario were 40. Even the new additions to the virtual console (fan and ds) showed variable pricing.

A lot of games will be the standard 60, yeah, but Nintendo themselves clearly recognizes that doesn't fly for every title.

Count me in as someone trying to get a preorder on the 13th at Gamestop. I'll probably head to Gamestop a few hours before they open. I even took off work that day..

Net

I intend to just snipe Amazon for a preorder but if all else fails I'll just camp out at Nintendo World. I've done it before in worse weather than March.

Does anyone have experience with console pre-orders at Gamestop? Say I wanted to preorder one at a location in Seattle where I am on 1/13 but pick it up at launch in New York where I'll be in March? Do they do that?

Awesome! I was hoping so, I've never done a console preorder with them before and really wanted to put the GCU to good use with the launch of the Switch + games and accessories. Thanks.

Unless something's changed, GCU will only discount Switch software, but you'll get points for the rest.

Does anyone have experience with console pre-orders at Gamestop? Say I wanted to preorder one at a location in Seattle where I am on 1/13 but pick it up at launch in New York where I'll be in March? Do they do that?

Nope. Your in-store pre-order is only good for that location. If online is an option for you, I'd go that route.

Same here. My goal is to try to land a pre-order online at whatever retailer after the event. If not, I'm going to rush my ass to my closest GameStop and Walmart (GS is part of a Walmart strip mall where I live). In the states, is waiting outside for a store to open considered loitering? I'm sure that's a valid reason since people do it a lot. My GS opens at 10am on weekdays so I plan to show up at 8, and as someone who has never pre-ordered from them, can a pre-order in person be sent to your house on launch day rather than lining up at a store? Not a fan of doing this stuff in person but I want to make absolutely sure I get my hands on one at launch.

No. Especially not at a place like GameStop.

If you pre-order in-store, you need to pick it up at that location. Let's hope GS (and Best Buy, Amazon, etc.) opens up online pre-orders for this system.

I'm running to Gamestop first thing on the 13th.

Same here. My goal is to try to land a pre-order online at whatever retailer after the event. If not, I'm going to rush my ass to my closest GameStop and Walmart (GS is part of a Walmart strip mall where I live). In the states, is waiting outside for a store to open considered loitering? I'm sure waiting at a store is a legal valid reason since people do it a lot. My GS opens at 10am on weekdays so I plan to show up at 8, and as someone who has never pre-ordered from them, can a pre-order in person be sent to your house on launch day rather than lining up at a store? Not a fan of doing this stuff in person but I want to make absolutely sure I get my hands on one at launch.

Does anyone know if amazon does launch day delivery for consoles as well as software? I've had good luck with getting games delivered on launch day but I'm curious if they are even known to do launch day delivery for consoles.

Good luck!
Unofficial... ?

Where they keeping people names and info?

Does anyone know if amazon does launch day delivery for consoles as well as software? I've had good luck with getting games delivered on launch day but I'm curious if they are even known to do launch day delivery for consoles.

They did launch day deliveries for PS4 and Xbox One. Not sure about New 3DS, as I can't recall if NoA and Amazon were still having their silly little online beef at that point.

They did launch day deliveries for PS4 and Xbox One. Not sure about New 3DS, as I can't recall if NoA and Amazon were still having their silly little online beef at that point.

That's good to know, thanks! I'd imagine if there are preorders available on Amazon then it should be the same type of shipping as PS4/XB1.

Getting the pre-order might be the tough part though...

That's good to know, thanks! I'd imagine if there are preorders available on Amazon then it should be the same type of shipping as PS4/XB1.

Hopefully NoA has done their homework and are working closely with retailers to ensure a smooth pre-order process. Sony and MS did just fine when they opened pre-orders up for their systems. I also remember New 3DS going pretty smoothly.

Best case scenario: we'll all have a couple days to pre-order before they shut them down.

Worst case scenario: NES Classic Redux

Nah you get points for consoles too.

I know. That's what I said. You'll get points for everything, but only the software will receive the 20% discount. Seems you're aware of this already though, so yeah.

Speely

Banned

I am nervous. I have a ~7 hour period from the start of the presentation until I can place a preorder for the Switch. If they make preorders available directly after the event, I feel like I am gonna be screwed.

No they don't. I think you can preorder online and have them ship it to a store though. Maybe you can ask if they can do a preorder in store but ship it to another location

I am nervous. I have a ~7 hour period from the start of the presentation until I can place a preorder for the Switch. If they make preorders available directly after the event, I feel like I am gonna be screwed.

There were Wii Us literally everywhere.

The only chance this has to be rare is if Nintendo intentionally underships it, which they might.

jmizzal

Def doing all my Switch buying from Bestbuy

Points for the system, then my games 20% off, I reached Elite level this year too

I hope Bestbuy does preorders online on the 13th

The only chance this has to be rare is if Nintendo intentionally underships it, which they might.

On one hand, it's launching in March, which will probably curb any sort of insane demand.

On the other hand, Nintendo is more conservative them ever. I honestly don't know what to expect.

Speely

Banned

Yeah, you're right (about the former, hopefully not the latter.) It's just hard to tell how folks will react and that makes me a tad concerned. Prolly just projecting my own hype onto the market itself. This is NeoGAF, after all.

The NES mini and Kimishima's estimate of 2 million consoles worldwide in March seem to show that Nintendo learned a lesson from their massive overproduction and overshipping of the Wii U. I'm betting unless they revise that 2 million number upwards a bit there will be some shortages, especially if both Zelda and Mario truly are out at or around launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom