• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they don't. I think you can preorder online and have them ship it to a store though. Maybe you can ask if they can do a preorder in store but ship it to another location

That throws a big monkey wrench in my plans then since i'm making a big move betwqeen now and then. Maybe I will get my parents to ship it to me, or maybe I will just refresh like a mad man on the 13th to get an order online.

ultrazilla

Unofficial... ?

Where they keeping people names and info?

Yes. Pen and paper. :) With the understanding it was a nice "customer service" act which I agree with.

No guarantees were made and I understood completely. It was merely a way to "save a space in line" for when pre-orders were officially open and you would be transferred to that list once they called you and confirmed you wanted to officially pre-order and would have a certain amount of time to go put money down to lock in the system.

HylianTom

Banned
Yes. Pen and paper. :) With the understanding it was a nice "customer service" act which I agree with.

No guarantees were made and I understood completely. It was merely a way to "save a space in line" for when pre-orders were officially open and you would be transferred to that list once they called you and confirmed you wanted to officially pre-order and would have a certain amount of time to go put money down to lock in the system.
That's how my location handled it as well. The manager had a written list and a copy on the store's iPad.

But I still plan on being there a few hours before the store opens on the 13th, just to be sure. With Zelda coming for Launch Day, I'm not taking any chances.

Like the NES Classic, right?

There's no way they could ramp up more production in time for a March launch. What they've planned for is what we're getting.

The NES Classic is a one off novelty device with a very limited production run. The Switch is their sole hardware platform going forward for the forseeable future, and they will undoubtedly have set up a workable supply chain for it. 2 months is plenty of time to change orders for mass production of such a device.

I wouldn't expect a huge deviation from 2 million but it's certainly possible they bump it up a bit, say, to 2.5 million.

No. Especially not at a place like GameStop.

If you pre-order in-store, you need to pick it up at that location. Let's hope GS (and Best Buy, Amazon, etc.) opens up online pre-orders for this system.

Awesome! On release day for the NES Classic, online orders opened up at around 1am and I was up until 4 dealing with crawling servers and order failures until I finally got one, so if worst comes to worst, I definitely won't be sleeping on the 12th into the 13th. lol Thank goodness I work second shift.

The NES Classic is a one off novelty device with a very limited production run. The Switch is their sole hardware platform going forward for the forseeable future, and they will undoubtedly have set up a workable supply chain for it. 2 months is plenty of time to change orders for mass production of such a device.

I wouldn't expect a huge deviation from 2 million but it's certainly possible they bump it up a bit, say, to 2.5 million.

That's also why I expect preordering the Switch will be much easier than the Classic. I missed the preorder phase and America never restocked them until opening regular online orders at midnight of launch. I can imagine way less than a million were sold worldwide. They're going for 2 million in less than a month. Still, even 2.5 million feels like a small number, since absolutely most of them will be reserved by preorders. I at least hope they're already trying to bump their 2 million goal up just from the reactions of the reveal alone. A LOT of people are already talking about this.

This discussion is making me more excited for Switch. It'll be so easy to carry it around to friends houses or play multiplayer with everyone. I can catch up on everything I missed on the WiiU with the ports, have all my VC games with me on the go etc.

Definitely buying a car charger and carrying case day one. I'm so excited.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'm calling it now. 2 million will not be enough and Nintendo will be accused of engineered shortages.
The switch will either flop spectacularly

Orrrrrr

Artificial shortages

I'm taking bets!

Someone make a tired ass comment bingo sheet.

This discussion is making me more excited for Switch. It'll be so easy to carry it around to friends houses or play multiplayer with everyone. I can catch up on everything I missed on the WiiU with the ports, have all my VC games with me on the go etc.

Definitely buying a car charger and carrying case day one. I'm so excited.

I suspect I will get a lot of use out of it for VC myself. Portable N64 in particular was something that I could never get working right on the PSP. Shame we probably wont have most of the Rare collection (Banjo, the FPSes, JSG and Conker) though. Maybe you can inject the rom through homebrew at some point?

Mariolee

No way I'm fast enough to preorder online. I have a Gamestop only a few blocks down from me and am super willing to wait considering I don't have class that Friday anyway.

There's a difference for sure, but the NES Classic is a pretty high-margin product that was in extremely high demand and short supply. The amount of revenue lost is serious.

One of the difference is timing. It's much more difficult to find production capability during the holidays. Most factories have already signed to contracts at that point. I imagine it would have cut into Nintendo's margins considerably to spin up enough production to meet demand.

It will be much easier to increase production in March instead of November.

Hey, you don't suppose...

Nintendo deliberately shortened supply of the NES Classic, to make people concerned if the Switch would be in large supply, and thus when pre-orders go up, people will pre-order in droves just to be safe?

Look in this page as to why I believe that.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Hey, you don't suppose...

Nintendo deliberately shortened supply of the NES Classic, to make people concerned if the Switch would be in large supply, and thus when pre-orders go up, people will pre-order in droves just to be safe?

Look in this page as to why I believe that.
Personally I blame Russia for these articlficial shortages. Obviously they hacked Nintendo too

AzaK

https://twitter.com/Nirbion/status/816050615352758272
VEAbT2W.gif

I love leaks. I have no need to wait for a company to give me filtered information they feel they need to direct the message. Nintendo has dragged their heels on Switch and this sort of thing was bound to happen - thankfully.

nickerous

If Zelda releases at launch, I will attempt to secure a preorder on the 13th when Gamestop opens. If not, I'm going to wait.

There has to be a Zelda edition Switch right? They wont stop that train (gba, ds, 3ds, Wii U all got a zelda hardware edition...3ds got what, 4 Zelda themed editions?).

Hieberrr

If Zelda releases at launch, I will attempt to secure a preorder on the 13th when Gamestop opens. If not, I'm going to wait.

There has to be a Zelda edition Switch right? They wont stop that train (gba, ds, 3ds, Wii U all got a zelda hardware edition...3ds got what, 4 Zelda themed editions?).

Probably, but not soon after the launch. You're probably going to have to wait at least a year+ for something like that.

BiggNife

I'll probably just do what I did with the Wii and wait outside the Target near me for a few hours on launch day. I've never managed to successfully preorder a console - preorders usually go lightning fast online and B&Ms usually have super limited preorders so if you're not one of the first ten people on line when the store opens you're kinda boned.

I remember during the Wii launch someone figured out how many systems each Target was getting which was awesome. I hope something similar happens before the Switch launch. My Target got like 70 Wiis so my friends and I knew we wouldn't be wasting time by getting in line with 20-30 other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom