• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I miss something? Are these the confirmed designs for Switch box arts? Cuz that's gorgeous.

Nah, the whole thing is fake, cases and all. :(

Here's VOOK's template:

C1LQLl2VQAQxkAB.png:orig

https://twitter.com/VOOK64/status/815943476072169472

AdanVC

Switch's logo really is pretty fucking cool.

It is indeed. Love the Ying Yang symbol resemblance. I remember the very first time I saw the Switch logo on the reveal trailer. I dislike it at first but as the trailer progressed with the logo appearing multiple times (with that delicious clicky sound) I end up loving it, and that was only on the very first view! Top notch logo design right there.

Brofield

Out of curiousity, have people been getting invites yet for the Switch demos outside of New York City? Mostly I'm curious if Toronto people got invites. I haven't seen anything in my email yet and it's bugging me, because I'm fearing I'll be busy on the open to public day on the 29th of January.

Also, do we yet know what time the Switchmas event is on the 12th? I swear I recall 10PM EST for some silly reason and I just pray it's not anytime I'm working on Thursday.

Out of curiousity, have people been getting invites yet for the Switch demos outside of New York City? Mostly I'm curious if Toronto people got invites. I haven't seen anything in my email yet and it's bugging me, because I'm fearing I'll be busy on the open to public day on the 29th of January.

Also, do we yet know what time the Switchmas event is on the 12th? I swear I recall 10PM EST for some silly reason and I just pray it's not anytime I'm working on Thursday.

8pm pst so 11pm est

11PM EST. :) I'm also in Toronto, no invite yet either. :(

keakster

I have been looking for this as well but haven't seen anything about Toronto yet. Seems Australia and London event invites have gone out though

Live in Toronto and have been with Club Nintendo since GameCube, but almost no eShop purchases ... really hoping they invite the lifers and not just people will a ton of recent activity

DMONKUMA

What time does it end?

We don't know. Guesses are that it's an hour or a bit more, I think Laura mentioned that she's expects the coference to be meaty but dunno if she has actually info on that or it's more of a guess.

So just expect a meaty hour if anything since it's hardware and software.

R00bot

Well the Wii U Presentation was about an hour, but we had way more details going into that.

The Wii U presentation demonstrated the whole menu system and miiverse if I remember correctly? They should be able to shave off some time by glossing over that, although they might want to demonstrate the online (if it's significantly better than on the Wii U).

Mind you, when he reported the rumor, he said his retail source had seen Shovel Knight being played in Smash. The amiibo rumor was not part of this originally - in the video where he touts this rumor and his multiple sources, he says that the possibility of an amiibo indicates it might be true, not that he was basing Shovel Knight being in Smash based on the amiibo.

Robertson's not often wrong, but he was this time, in a pretty big way. Sometimes your sources fill in the blanks themselves, sometimes in the same way, and it sounds like this happened with SK in Smash.

Philippo

If MK8+ is coming at a later date, i hope they at least put Double Dash on VC at launch.
I need my MK fix for playing with others!

Preorder lines will be full hours before stores even open.

Dress like you're climbing a mountain and sleep in a chair in front of the store

Or just go to that one store in the afternoon where you know that some boxes will still be available because no one goes there to buy video games and concoles, but they have them.
If you people want to sleep in front of Gamestop, though, have fun.. Off course a new console will be sold out in minutes there.

With the Wii U and even the Wii I had no problems finding a unit in the late afternoon on launch day.

Or just go to that one store in the afternoon where you know that some boxes will still be available because no one goes there to buy video games and concoles, but they have them.
If you people want to sleep in front of Gamestop, though, have fun.. Off course a new console will be sold out in minutes there.

With the Wii U and even the Wii I had no problems finding a unit in the late afternoon on launch day.
I'm calling bullshit on you walking into a store mid afternoon and picking up a Wii on launch day without a preorder. The wii sold out EVERYWHERE and people called every store around them. The $250 console was selling for $700+ on eBay.

klier

Zelda being a launch game was a given, and people thinking Mario would be a launch game instead of Zelda were borderline insane.

oti

Banned

I'm really curious to see how Giant Bomb will like the Switch. Jeff has already said he never wants to play the Switch undocked ever. Brad is too much of an Apple fanboy to not dislike the tablet part. Dan should like it. Jason, Patrick and Vinny could end up loving it, being dads and all. I'm sure it's easier to fit in some gaming in your life if you're playing on a handheld.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm calling bullshit on you walking into a store mid afternoon and picking up a Wii on launch day without a preorder. The wii sold out EVERYWHERE and people called every store around them. The $250 console was selling for $700+ on eBay.

Yeah me too...

Also my local GAME store had already taken 16 pre orders when I placed mine at the weekend and the marketing push hasn't even begun yet.

Cincaid

I'm someone looking in, since I'm in no way a Nintendo fan or up to date with all the rumors, but my impression from the failed WiiU launch was a lot of the blame was put on the two different SKU:s creating confusion and unsatisfied customers. Nintendo even removed the lesser version from market not long after release, suggesting that it was more or less just a marketing scheme to trick people the console was cheaper than it really was. And now everyone are asking Nintendo to repeat that process?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Oh my, this was the leak people beat that Liam Robertson guy over the head with, right? Does this redeem him or does he have many more wrongs to right first?

I'm not sure what actually happens in the past since it was long time ago but ShockingAlberto said so then I could guess that he could be accurate about what happens.

Mind you, when he reported the rumor, he said his retail source had seen Shovel Knight being played in Smash. The amiibo rumor was not part of this originally - in the video where he touts this rumor and his multiple sources, he says that the possibility of an amiibo indicates it might be true, not that he was basing Shovel Knight being in Smash based on the amiibo.

Robertson's not often wrong, but he was this time, in a pretty big way. Sometimes your sources fill in the blanks themselves, sometimes in the same way, and it sounds like this happened with SK in Smash.

Zedark

I'm someone looking in, since I'm in no way a Nintendo fan or up to date with all the rumors, but my impression from the failed WiiU launch was a lot of the blame was put on the two different SKU:s creating confusion and unsatisfied customers. Nintendo even removed the lesser version from market not long after release, suggesting that it was more or less just a marketing scheme to trick people the console was cheaper than it really was. And now everyone are asking Nintendo to repeat that process?

I think the confusion over whether it was a new console or a wii add-on and its frequent software draughts were more important factors than the two available bundles.

Cincaid

I think the confusion over whether it was a new console or a wii add-on and its frequent software draughts were more important factors than the two available bundles.

Ah yes, I might have done a bad job to formulate myself, seemingly putting all the blame on the different SKU:s. But I don't think it helped a lot, is what I was trying to say.

Danchi

The confusion surrounding the launch of the Wii U is generally attributed to Nintendo not effectively getting the message across that it was a new system and not simply an accessory for the Wii though. I don't think two SKUs at launch is over the top. We saw it with both the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Granted, the Xbox One and PS4 only launched with one SKU, but if you go to buy one today (in the UK at least), each console has maybe a dozen different bundles to choose from.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

There was no backlash for the 2 different SKUs. The only issue with them was that people bought more the "premium" one because it had more value for the money asked. And in the context of a failed launch (and having already a huge number of Wii U's in stock - mostly premium bundles given the decision) they stopped producing the "basic" bundle.

The confusion was due to the name and marketing campaign which made Wii U look more like a Wii add-on than a new console. Another confusion was the lack of focus of the marketing, Nintendo trying to sell Wii U to both the core and the casuals, but having core games at launch while the ads were mostly family focused. So it ended up as not being appealing enough for either.
And the biggest failure was that Wii U was just not providing enough value for the price asked (price driven up by the Gamepad cost, the Gamepad that wasn't really justified by the software available).

I do remember seeing Wiis in a local Sam's Club one time before Christmas. It was like a small pallet of them.

Never saw one in public again for months lol.

Cincaid

There was no backlash for the 2 different SKUs. The only issue with them was that people bought more the "premium" one because it had more value for the money asked. And in the context of a failed launch (and having already a huge number of Wii U's in stock - mostly premium bundles given the decision) they stopped producing the "basic" bundle.

The confusion was due to the name and marketing campaign which made Wii U look more like a Wii add-on than a new console. Another confusion was the lack of focus of the marketing, Nintendo trying to sell Wii U to both the core and the casuals, but having core games at launch while the ads were mostly family focused. So it ended up as not being appealing enough for either.
And the biggest failure was that Wii U was just not providing enough value for the price asked (price driven up by the Gamepad cost, the Gamepad that wasn't really justified by the software available).

The confusion surrounding the launch of the Wii U is generally attributed to Nintendo not effectively getting the message across that it was a new system and not simply an accessory for the Wii though. I don't think two SKUs at launch is over the top. We saw it with both the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Granted, the Xbox One and PS4 only launched with one SKU, but if you go to buy one today (in the UK at least), each console has maybe a dozen different bundles to choose from.

Alright, thanks for your explanations. :)

I'm so excited to see the new Mario.

I gotta be honest, I didn't like Mario 3D World that much, the fact that the Mario Switch is more in line with Mario Galaxy, Mario Sunshine and etc makes me really happy.

oti

Banned
I'm so excited to see the new Mario.

I gotta be honest, I didn't like Mario 3D World that much, the fact that the Mario Switch is more in line with Mario Galaxy, Mario Sunshine and etc makes me really happy.

I enjoyed it for what it was but it's a worse game than Mario Galaxy and that's a shame.

coughlanio

I'm really curious to see how Giant Bomb will like the Switch. Jeff has already said he never wants to play the Switch undocked ever. Brad is too much of an Apple fanboy to not dislike the tablet part. Dan should like it. Jason, Patrick and Vinny could end up loving it, being dads and all. I'm sure it's easier to fit in some gaming in your life if you're playing on a handheld.

I'll be surprised if there isn't some sort of 'Chromecast' functionality built in give some sort of second screen experience for something like Super Mario Maker, i.e. create the level on the tablet, then when you want to play, just beam it to the dock and play that way. It would be a relatively inexpensive value-add and a good solution to the expectations Jeff has when it comes to Super Mario Maker.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The game that I want to see the most is Pikmin 4. Zelda is already everywhere and a Mario 3D trailer, while I will for sure enjoy the game a lot, doesn't click that much. It's a 3d Mario after all.

oti

Banned
I'll be surprised if there isn't some sort of 'Chromecast' functionality built in give some sort of second screen experience for something like Super Mario Maker, i.e. create the level on the tablet, then when you want to play, just beam it to the dock and play that way. It would be a relatively inexpensive value-add and a good solution to the expectations Jeff has when it comes to Super Mario Maker.

That's what I was thinking about too initially but as far as I know the patents paint the dock as super dumb and just a pass-through for power and the video signal. I don't think it can connect to the internet by itself or connect to the tablet wirelessly in any shape or form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom